Sign in to follow this  
miles teg

TALIBAN! TALIBAN! TALIBAN!!!

And I failed to mention that the Taliban pbo is a great piece of work! I like it due to the fact the Taliban look better than what is in VBS2.

my only complaint is they need to lose the boots. The Talibs use running shoes/sneakers instead of boots. And no sandals either.

Overall I like this mod very much and look forward to the further editions.

Cheers

Robert

the n00b

Cheers for the info. I'm new to these forums and ArmA and am extremely impressed by the amount of knowledge and research that goes into mods/addons.

Excellent stuff !! Is there any chance of having some ANA bare headed, as a lot of them out with the brits seem to wear no head gear.

As far as me and Miles know after doing some research is that the ANA has lots of different equipment.

VXR, Miles and uk-Recce;

I don't want to offend anyone, but the ANA do have a standard MTOE and it is not based on the mentoring unit provides.

The mentoring unit will provide a certain set of standards for the ANA to follow. In the south, the Brits and the Dutch and the Canadians with some US set the standards. In the East it is the US (both Army and Marines). TF Phoenix is the HQ of the mentoring unit and is a American unit. The NATO members provide OMLT (pronounced Omlette) to conduct the mentoring. These OMLT do the same job. I can talk for a while on this, but it is not for this board.

The by-the-book ANA squad is eleven Soldiers and the typical weapon is the AKM. As of yet, only the 205th Corps in the south have M16s as shown in the picture. The rest of the Army have AKMs.

The MTOE of a rifle squad is as follows

Squad leader - AKM

Team leader (A)- AKM

Sniper - SVD

Rifleman - AKM

Autorifleman - RPK

Grenadier - AKM w/ GP-25

Team leader (B)- AKM

Rocketeer - RPG

Rifleman - AKM

Autorifleman - RPK

Grenadier - AKM w/ GP-25

That is the book answer. The reality with AWOLs, sickness, leaves (brother what a story there), wounds, etc is another matter. So you might really see seven Soldiers in the field. The squad SVD is the one thing that you can count on NOT to be present. Several reasons why, the chief among them is corruption. The RPK, may be a PKM or even a RPD. It again is a victim of the corruption of the country/ANA/leadership. So an actual squad in the field usually looks as follows;

Squad leader- AKM

Rifleman -AKM

Rocketeer - RPG-7, 3x PG-7 and 1-2 OG-7 rockets

Rifleman- Akm

Team Leader - AKM

Auto rifleman - PKM/RPK

Rifleman - AKM

Grenadier -AKM GP-25.

The Ranger truck is shown, but it is being replaced by the HMWWV (M1114 series). The mount is changed to allow the mounting of the PK machine gun. Some units have changed this out with a DShK.

I would say about now there are 25-40% HMWWVs to Ranger trucks.

Note on the head gear helmets and body armor. The longer the unit and the style of the mentors makes an impact on whether the ANA looks and acts. If the mentors are weak, the ANA will slip into ragbag mode. If the mentors are sharp and demand the adherence to standards, then ANA will (for the most part) wear helmets while in the field. The ANA like to look like their counter part mentors. So if the mentors 'think' they are 'special', the ANA will act accordingly. If the mentors are disciplined and professional, the ANA will also be professional in an Afghan way.

Nuff of the the mentor rant.

The US Army pbo for the ANA has the boys in berets or helmets. In the read-me file it will mention to the trainer to have the ANA start at 30/70 Helmets to berets at the start of training to see if the unit makes corrections or let is slide.

Now, for other comments; The ANA have about 25% of the fellahs with a clean shaved face, 50% with light beards (small amounts) and about 25% with full beards. The more Pashtus in your ANA unit, the larger the beards and the opposite if there are more Tajiks or Hazarah or Uzbecks.

The body armor is a sort of woodland pattern and has two pouches for six AK magazines in the front of the body armor (3 mags per). The ANA will wear the groin piece folded up; one because they hate it banging into their legs and two it helps hold the magazines in place. If anyone wants pictures I will post. The neck piece of the body armor is folded down and lays flat on in the front and the back.

The plate in the body armor is flat which makes a distinct look to the body armor.

I see in the photos helmets with NOD brackets. That would be a no-go as the ANA (save the commandos) have no night vision.

Thanks for the info!

On the latest vids that I have seen of Dutch forces mentorring the ANA in their region. The Dutch wear the same uniform as the ANA does to blend in with the ANA troops.

Before they leave the base they are all checked if they have all their gear with them and dressed as they should.

And I failed to mention that the Taliban pbo is a great piece of work! I like it due to the fact the Taliban look better than what is in VBS2.

my only complaint is they need to lose the boots. The Talibs use running shoes/sneakers instead of boots. And no sandals either.

Overall I like this mod very much and look forward to the further editions.

Cheers

Robert

the n00b

Thanks for all the info.   For now, you'll probably be a bit disappointed with the Taliban/ANA as I'm going to try and get them released today or tomorrow.

However your info will definitely be used for future updates to make them more realistic.  We don't have a modeller to make an exact replica of the body armor, although if you post pictures of the ANA guys, perhaps someone willl step forward to help make accurate body armor.  If Johnny lets me, maybe I can borrow his SF body armor and modify it a bit?  

At any rate, because of our limited team size, these are just approximations.   Some of the Taliban will have running shoes, others boots.  It's really more of a modelling issue that I need to work on.  I just don't want to do it now as it'll put the release date behind another week or two.  From your info ALOT of new stuff would need to be updated so I'd rather make that more as one big update.  

I also gave the ANA guys the B-10 as I've seen videos of them firing it and the SPG-9.   Are those part of their TOE? Can the shoulder launched B-10 substitute for RPG's?

Seems like a nice weapon overall...probably quite a bit more accurate then a RPG just a lot heavier.  However for a mounted patrol element, it would seem like something they could carry in their vehicle and dismount with it rather quickly.  I've had to do that as part of crew-served weapons teams (M2 and Mk19) moving quickly with heavy equipment to set up firing positions.  Not fun, but do-able.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Thanks for all the info.   For now, you'll probably be a bit disappointed with the Taliban/ANA as I'm going to try and get them released today or tomorrow.

We don't have a modeller to make an exact replica of the body armor, although if you post pictures of the ANA guys, perhaps someone will step forward to help make accurate body armor.  <snip>

I also gave the ANA guys the B-10 as I've seen videos of them firing it and the SPG-9.   <snip>I've had to do that as part of crew-served weapons teams (M2 and Mk19) moving quickly with heavy equipment to set up firing positions.  Not fun, but do-able.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

No Problem, glad to help!

On the ANA Body armor, I am posting this picture to help;

ANA Body Armor picture

The picture was 101 kb, and that is the smallest I could make it and still keep it read-able.

The SF body armor would be a no-no unless you are making the ANA Commando set/pbo. There are many pictures online on the ANA commandos, but they do use a version of the CIRAs body armor that is black.

IF SOMEONE wants pictures (for the commandos) I will post the links. Note the commandos have different weapons and set up, and so they would be a totally different pbo.

On the B-10 or SPG-9, the SPG-9 is in the TOE and inventory, but there again, some units do not have them. The 4th Kandak in our BDE did not have them, so they just used the Anti-tank Company (the ones by TOE that

would have them) as another infantry company. However the B-10s you see are just captured B-10s that the unit has kept, that they have ammo for. I would just have RPG-7s. The ANA have loads of those. Crap! I saw every truck had one, with usually 6 rockets!

On the crew serve weapons, stick to the Dshk and the 82mm mortars. No MK-19 and M2 machine guns. The AGS-17 has bad rep in the ANA and they will not use it, even if it is a battlefield capture item. Stick to DshK as most units that have them, have more than they should, while others lack the proper number they should have.

Robert

the n00b

Excellent info.  I've seen a body armor model like that somewhere on an ArmA addon, but I can't put my finger on which addon it was....  I'll have to look at a bunch of old addons.  If I find it, I'll ask the creator if I can use and modify their vest or infantry model.   However I might know someone who can make one from scratch (which would be super nice).

I might even try maybe converting what we have into it with a bit of retexturing especially if I get some nice clear pictures of the front and back sections.

I actually have like 4 different colored vests on the ANA guys currently.  Most have the tan vest but one has a olive green vest, another a black vest, and another a dark brown vest as they often seem to be wearing different body armor carriers or vests.  But it's just temporary until we can get more realistic looking vests.  

I would like to make the commando units in the next update as well as add a T-55 or T-62 tank for a little extra firepower.

Do the commandos wear different uniforms also?

By the way on your avatar pic, are you standing on a T-55?

lol!  

Very nice.  I always wanted to drive a real one.  Does the ANA ever even take those things out of Kabul?  Some forward bases I'm sure could sorely use a bit of armor.  Slap a bit of slat armor on them and I'm sure they could take quite a bit of punishment from RPG-7's.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

it looks like the body Armour from the FFAA mod. or Operation Frenchpoint. One of those.

BTW love the Taliban units. they look really good on the new Razani map.

If you like those, the new ones are going to be much better. I think you'll also like the Al-Qaeda Shadow Army Brigade 055 guys. Scary bunch.

Stuff I did today:

1. Removed boots from all Shadow Army soldiers and most Taliban (except guys in cold weather jackets) and replaced them with running shoes. Also I removed boots from most civilians and gave them regular leather shoes except for the guy with the heavy cold weather jacket.

2. Removed NVG mount on olive green PASGT helmet.

3. Removed NVG's from all but two of the ANA guys (leader and one other guy).

4. Added and tested AK47 with GP25 and ANA soldier equipped with the weapon.

5. Fixed window bug on Katusha launching pickup truck where you couldn't see through the window.

6. Added DShK HMG to ANA static weapons.

7. Tested all weapons at night to check for muzzle flash bugs.

Stayed up until 1:30am fixing all this. Tomorrow morning I'll pack it all up.

smile_o.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

may i ask you to add a few predefined groups of taliban, shadow army, civil etc... ?

Oh man! Can't wait - thanks for ALL your hard work, Chris!

Sorry for the delays...but FINALLY I got the new Taliban update (version 1.4) released.  

FIRST PAGE OF THREAD UPDATED

This pack includes:

1. Taliban soldiers, Taliban vehicles, & Taliban static weapons.

2. 80's Mujahadin soldiers (under independent) 80's Mujahadin vehicles, & 80's Mujahadin static weapons.

3. Afghan National Army soldiers, and an Afghan National Army pickup with DShK.

4.  American Covert Operations units

5. Custom Weapons Pack (Ak's, Lee-Enfield rifle, SPG-9, B-10)

*** Note-

ONLY IF YOU HAVE THE EXTENDED EVENT HANDLER PBO INSTALLED, the RPG, B-10, and SA-7 guys will yell stuff in Arabic when they fire their RPG or SA-7 weapons.  This will eventually be changed to the Pashtun language if I can find some good recordings (aside from the ever-popular "ALLAH'U AKBAR!" cry).

**** EDIT (There now a couple of Pashto yells in the sounds).  

*** To Install: remove "Arabic_Sounds.pbo" from your addons (or mod/addons) folder if you had the first version (1.2) installed.  Arabic_addons.pbo is no longer needed and it will cause conflicts.

Quote[/b] ]

***********Important*****************

Do the following steps to use this addon with the ACE mod.  

Go to yourArmA/Dta/ACE folder and open the file called:  ace_clientside_config.hpp

Go down to the section that says something like:

_

Hide BIS classes: set "ACE_SCOPE_SHOW_BIS" to "visible"

NOTE: it's 2x a underline ( _ ) before "hidden" or "visible"

*/

#define visible 2

#define ACE_SCOPE_SHOW_BIS _hidden

Change the last line to:  

#define ACE_SCOPE_SHOW_BIS __visible

Known bugs:

No blood textures.

AK47/M203 has issues with ACE.  Grenades fire, but stick in ground and don't fully explode (much as the ACE 40mm M203 grenades behave at short range simulating not reaching its minimum arming range).  Just use the M4/M203 guy in place of that one if you want M203 grenades.  

Required Addons:

loboweawponstaliban.pbo (included)

Extended Event Handlers (not included but most people have it and the addons still work without...just no yells when they fire RPG's).

***UPDATED Version 1.4 Download Link (Mirrors apprciated):

http://www.idfsquad.com/downloads/milesteg/LoBo_TalibanVer1_4.7z

Update log:

Version 1.4

New models/textures on Taliban by Yaciek.

Added Afghan National Army soldiers

Added Al-Qaeda Lashkar Al-Zil (Shadow Army) Brigade 055 soldiers.

Added pickup trucks with custom cargo proxies.

Added ANA pickup

Added Taliban pickup with Katushya rockets.

Added AK47 with GP-25

Added B-10 portable recoiless-rifle.

Added SPG-9 static weapon.

Update log:

Version 1.3

1. Made addons ACE compatible.

2. Added American covert operations units (Afghanistan).

3. Added new AK-47 weapons pack which also includes an RPK-47 and a Lee-Enfield rifle.  That way no dependency on 3rd party addons.

4. Added 80's era Mujahadin on Resistance side (equipping them with AK74's as well).

5. Added Vehicles and static weapons for Taliban and Mujahadin.

Al-Qaeda Lashakar Al-Zil (Shadow Army) Brigade 055 on the move.

LoBo_ShadowArmy2.jpg

Afghan National Army soldiers on patrol near the border with Pakistan.

LoBo_ANA_1.jpg

American Covert Operations units:

Covert Operations Intel units moving through no-man's land along a dry river bed.

LoBo_CIA1.jpg

Meet the Taliban!

LoBo_SPG9_1.jpg

LoBo_Taliban7.jpg

Thank you for using our addons.  

Chris G. aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Team Leader of the Lost Brothers Mod

Great stuff.... when are you planning to include blood textures?

Thanks, Miles! Been waiting for this - so much for working on Razani tonight. Will have to wait while battles rage biggrin_o.gif

Great stuff.... when are you planning to include blood textures?

There are blood textures on the Taliban...just not yet on the CIA guys and the Afghan Army guys as they use different textures. In the next update hopefully they will all have blood textures.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Thanks so much mate - can't wait to try them! (Stuck at work atm!wink_o.gif

Thanks again! pistols.gifpistols.gifnotworthy.gif

great units smile_o.gif thanks for bringing to Arma a whole new and present time war scenario

One thing I just wanted to point out in case people didn't notice...   try firing the B-10 recoilless rifle and pay attention to the rear of the launcher.  If you notice, the rocket inside disappears after firing.  I also edited the fired sound on it to make a  deep and satisfying  cannon sound.  If I remember correctly I think I grabbed that sound originally from a Taliban video where they were firing the B-10.

Also don't forget that you can simulate 80's Afghan War stuff if you use some 80's Russian addons and use the Mujahadin under the Independent side in the mission editor.  Hopefully someone will come out with some nice 80's Soviets soon in their desert fatigues.  

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

HI Miles

Great Addon but I have some small problems. I am getting a paa texture problem with the camouflage version of the Taliban Rocket launcher Truck I will give you the precise error code later, also the ANA gun truck has a problem with the config. I dont know if its because I don't have QGo or what, again I will post the Error code later. beyond those problems, Love the Addon and have set up one heck of a mission with a combined attacking force made up of 055 Elements and taliban irregulars attacking a large US base. So far The addon has done great expect for those two problems. Thanks again for the Addon!!!

Oh, no worries.  That's not an error.  Those two vehicles (as noted in the readme) just require Queen's Gambit to work.

Sorry about that.  

sad_o.gif

However I'm glad you're otherwise having a good time with the pack. If you put together any really good missions, please post them up somewhere or email them to me please.

That goes for anyone else reading this. If ya got a really good mission (preferably realistic, with movie cutscenes, and not a ton of other addons needed) please email it to me or post a link here (as well as on the user mission section of the forum).

Thanks

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Sir,

Do you know what QG pbo is required to run the vehicles?