Sign in to follow this  
miles teg

TALIBAN! TALIBAN! TALIBAN!!!

Yes, shoulder-launched.    

You can find lots of pictures and videos of the Taliban and ANA firing the weapon in this manner.  

Here is an example.  Check this video at 6:15 and you'll see them loading and firing the SPG-9 like an RPG.   Makes a nice big explosion down-range and is likely a bit more accurate then an RPG-7.

http://www.dailymotion.com/search....-1_news

Video of ANA having a nasty accident firing one of these:

I'm not quite sure what happened there...something was blocking the rear gas exit area it looked like or was not well aligned in the barrel....who knows.  I noticed that the Taliban have something white wrapped around the end of the shell in the first video...maybe to keep it more snug in the barrel and prevent that kind of accident.  But I'm not familiar with the SPG-9's operation so I'm just guessing. What is clear from the first video is that indeed the weapon can be fired from the shoulder.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Both videos show not SPG-9 but chinese portable version of soviet 82-mm B-10 (Б-10) recoiless rifle. This one had ability to be used without tripod. And, as it shown on the second video, operator should be quite strong to handle this gun while firing wink_o.gif

Ah crap.... They all look the same to me... don't think I'll be able to find anyone to model one of those.... I'll maybe try to modify the SPG-9 to look a bit more like the B10.

Isn't the SPG-9 73mm? You'd think that would be easier to fire.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Hey Miles, while you're slightly on the subject of the ANA guys, how are they going, I hate to say it but any chance of some screenshots tounge2.gif ? Is there going to be an updated version of the taliban units at all along with the new weapons?

thanks

Ah crap....  They all look the same to me...  don't think I'll be able to find anyone to model one of those....   I'll maybe try to modify the SPG-9 to look a bit more like the B10.

Isn't the SPG-9 73mm?  You'd think that would be easier to fire.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Initspeed of 82-mm B-10 round is 320 m/s, 73-mm PG-9 is 435 m/s just after firing and about 700 m/s after boosting. That's why it's possible to operate B-10 without tripod, and not by every soldier smile_o.gif

Hey Miles, while you're slightly on the subject of the ANA guys, how are they going, I hate to say it but any chance of some screenshots tounge2.gif ? Is there going to be an updated version of the taliban units at all along with the new weapons?

thanks

Yeah, in addition to the Taliban being updated (hopefully...I'm waiting on some updated models from someone), I'm adding in the Afghan National Army soldiers (project started by VXR), ANA pickup with MG, the Taliban pickups (3 of them), Taliban pickup with rocket launcher, updated weapons pack with some type of recoiless rifle (hopefully), and finally the Al-Qaeda Shadow Army who are the shock troops of the Taliban.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Finally... I got ahold of the BIS SPG-9 model and turned it into a B10 that is launched from the shoulder.

Things added including RPG type sights, RPG trigger mechanism, removal of front handles, and modification of rear section.

The only bug is that the sights don't work (I have this bug on our LoBo IDF Shipon AT rocket as well....no idea why.

If anyone can help me with getting the sights working, I'd be very appreciative.

Anyways here's a pic of the beast:

LoBo_B10_1.jpg

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

I noticed that the Taliban have something white wrapped around the end of the shell in the first video...maybe to keep it more snug in the barrel and prevent that kind of accident.

Hi all

I think that the white bag is the propellant charge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:BK-881-cutaway.JPG

The system is similar to how older form mortar propellant charges work.

It is is not a rocket but a handheld recoilless rifle, as the second video title makes clear. Exhaust gasses exit through the rear equalising the force of the propelled warhead. Newtons third law and all that. "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction."

Like you in the second video I think the rear exhaust vent has been blocked somehow, incorrect usage or perhaps too large a charge has been used, or perhaps the charge has half fired (badly maintained or operated propellant charge) with unfired propellant and the bag blocking the exhaust exit and transferring all the energy to launch tube. The sight then rips the poor lads face off, he probably lost an eye.

Having a snug fit in this case is probably a realy bad idea.

Kind regards walker

Thanks for the info Walker. I know you're really knowledgable about weapon systems. I agree with you that it was probably a blockage because when I see the first video, the recoil doesn't seem that bad at all. The loader however seems to be VERY careful about how he loads it. If I was firing, I'd aim...then move my head sideways before pressing the trigger. If they were smart they'd develop a bipod for it or something to keep the aim steady. That way the gunner can move his face out of the way of the sight in case the weapon flipped back. Removing the trigger guard also would be smart to prevent fingers from getting ripped off or snapped in two.

But anyways... I'm just happy to have the B10 working now more or less. I just have to fix this stupid sight picture bug. Tomorrow, I'll compare it with other configs and models of RPG's made by other people to try and figure out what I'm doing different. Hopefully I'll figure it out. I think I'll put a custom sound on it as well as it doesn't quite sound like an RPG, but more like a cannon shooting.

Raafatah64, yes I will give this weapon also to our Hezbollah guys as well once I get it fully working.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

If they were smart they'd develop a bipod for it or something to keep the aim steady.  

Hi Miles Teg

I do not know that much, just books and stuff.

The weapon is suposed to be fired from a tripod base, but I think you already know that. It is a good adaption as it saves weight to remove the tripod along with the wheels it normaly travels on as they are useless on mountain tracks.

It is just in Afghanitan and the NW Frontier provinces they tend to adapt a lot. They have been fighting wars for a long time there. Against each other when there are no foreigners to fight most of them have been using a gun since they were children.

Kind Regards walker

The B10 is now fully working.  Here's a pic of it in action.

LoBo_B10_2.jpg

So right now I'm just updating all the models so hopefully I should have the update done by this weekend.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

excellent ! can't wait to play with those units in the incoming waziristan map !

thanks to all you guys smile_o.gif

Looking Great Miles! Any Further word on the vehicles? I got a mission in the Pipeline, and was wondering.

Yeah, the only new vehicles will be the 3 pickups in the earlier pictures (unarmed but they can carry a squad of Taliban), the MRLS pickup, and a Afgan National Army pickup mounted with a machine gun.

So vehicles will include:

URAL truck

Motorcycle

UAZ with MG

3 cargo pickup trucks

MLRS pickup

ANA Pickup w/MG

Static weapons:

D-30

DShK

and maybe... an SPG-9

All that is left right now is for me to edit the config of the ANA pickup and do texture-repathing and config repathing on the MLRS as right now its configured for our Hezbollah guys.

I just have to make sure it won't conflict with the original version so I have to change class names and all that. By changing the name of the .pbo it means I have to change the texture paths as well which kinda sucks. But it shouldn't take too long. I hope to have it done by Sunday.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

I'm offering my help to take a look at the addon / package as overview before you release, if I can find something to fix I would forward the fix list for you or if you allow me to directly help then I could do the edits myself and send edited files back to you.

Just a friendly offer for help smile_o.gif

Looks just like the spudguns on YouTube.  Can you make a version that fires potatoes?

Like the trainers on the Talib with the launcher.

Right now everything is ready except for the ANA pickup which I'm waiting for MLOD's on so I can create a proper signed verson.

But until then, here are a couple more pics of the ANA troops and the SPG-9 (and a couple of the updated Taliban).

LoBo_ANA_1.jpg

LoBo_SPG9_1.jpg

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Thanks for the update, Chris - can't wait mate notworthy.gifnotworthy.gif

Excellent stuff !! Is there any chance of having some ANA bare headed, as a lot of them out with the brits seem to wear no head gear.

Excellent stuff !! Is there any chance of having some ANA bare headed, as a lot of them out with the brits seem to wear no head gear.

As far as me and Miles know after doing some research is that the ANA has lots of different equipment.

I advised to have a Low gear, Med gear and heavy gear range of units.

It depends how much equipment and money they get from the country that is mentorring the unit.

As far as me and Miles know after doing some research is that the ANA has lots of different equipment.

VXR, Miles and uk-Recce;

I don't want to offend anyone, but the ANA do have a standard MTOE and it is not based on the mentoring unit provides.

The mentoring unit will provide a certain set of standards for the ANA to follow. In the south, the Brits and the Dutch and the Canadians with some US set the standards. In the East it is the US (both Army and Marines). TF Phoenix is the HQ of the mentoring unit and is a American unit. The NATO members provide OMLT (pronounced Omlette) to conduct the mentoring. These OMLT do the same job. I can talk for a while on this, but it is not for this board.

The by-the-book ANA squad is eleven Soldiers and the typical weapon is the AKM. As of yet, only the 205th Corps in the south have M16s as shown in the picture. The rest of the Army have AKMs.

The MTOE of a rifle squad is as follows

Squad leader - AKM

Team leader (A)- AKM

Sniper - SVD

Rifleman - AKM

Autorifleman - RPK

Grenadier - AKM w/ GP-25

Team leader (B)- AKM

Rocketeer - RPG

Rifleman - AKM

Autorifleman - RPK

Grenadier - AKM w/ GP-25

That is the book answer. The reality with AWOLs, sickness, leaves (brother what a story there), wounds, etc is another matter. So you might really see seven Soldiers in the field. The squad SVD is the one thing that you can count on NOT to be present. Several reasons why, the chief among them is corruption. The RPK, may be a PKM or even a RPD. It again is a victim of the corruption of the country/ANA/leadership. So an actual squad in the field usually looks as follows;

Squad leader- AKM

Rifleman -AKM

Rocketeer - RPG-7, 3x PG-7 and 1-2 OG-7 rockets

Rifleman- Akm

Team Leader - AKM

Auto rifleman - PKM/RPK

Rifleman - AKM

Grenadier -AKM GP-25.

The Ranger truck is shown, but it is being replaced by the HMWWV (M1114 series). The mount is changed to allow the mounting of the PK machine gun. Some units have changed this out with a DShK.

I would say about now there are 25-40% HMWWVs to Ranger trucks.

Note on the head gear helmets and body armor. The longer the unit and the style of the mentors makes an impact on whether the ANA looks and acts. If the mentors are weak, the ANA will slip into ragbag mode. If the mentors are sharp and demand the adherence to standards, then ANA will (for the most part) wear helmets while in the field. The ANA like to look like their counter part mentors. So if the mentors 'think' they are 'special', the ANA will act accordingly. If the mentors are disciplined and professional, the ANA will also be professional in an Afghan way.

Nuff of the the mentor rant.

The US Army pbo for the ANA has the boys in berets or helmets. In the read-me file it will mention to the trainer to have the ANA start at 30/70 Helmets to berets at the start of training to see if the unit makes corrections or let is slide.

Now, for other comments; The ANA have about 25% of the fellahs with a clean shaved face, 50% with light beards (small amounts) and about 25% with full beards. The more Pashtus in your ANA unit, the larger the beards and the opposite if there are more Tajiks or Hazarah or Uzbecks.

The body armor is a sort of woodland pattern and has two pouches for six AK magazines in the front of the body armor (3 mags per). The ANA will wear the groin piece folded up; one because they hate it banging into their legs and two it helps hold the magazines in place. If anyone wants pictures I will post. The neck piece of the body armor is folded down and lays flat on in the front and the back.

The plate in the body armor is flat which makes a distinct look to the body armor.

I see in the photos helmets with NOD brackets. That would be a no-go as the ANA (save the commandos) have no night vision.