Sign in to follow this  
miles teg

TALIBAN! TALIBAN! TALIBAN!!!

Miles Teg has been making Lost Brothers addons since the days of OFP:R, having shouldered the responsibility of the mod from VIP, who made one of the earliest weapons packs for OFP, the HK Weapons mod.

He has, as a conservative estimate (assuming 1.6 Gigs of files are my own personal), 15 Gigs worth of Lost Brothers addons, related project addons, and supporting files on my FTP site.  The oldest of them date to Christmas Day, 2003.  If I remember correctly, he was intent on providing the community a Christmas present, that year.  VIP has/had files (IDF Weapons packs #1 and #2) dating to February 2003.

I think he knows a thing or two about packing .pbo's.  I've only ASPIRED to make addons.  The realization of my dreams has been limited to missions/maps.

Okay... what has that got to do with the text you quoted?

Quote[/b] ]If you had a problem with the way he makes addons, you probably should have spoken up years ago.

Well the taliban units were just released (now, not years ago), are you saying all LoBo releases are done the way the first taliban version or what is your point in all this?

Anyways the new taliban version looks pretty good, so no need to go back and forth with the issue that has been resolved.

Nah Uzi, it's cool.  Anyways, its a moot point now since it no longer needs a massive 3rd party addons.  Now we did include Vilas weapons pack in our addon pack #3, but only because there was a vastly greater number of weapons from Vilas that we were using and because he did an awesome job making IDF weapons for us.  So we are honored to have Vilas's help for our mod.  On this small Taliban pack however, using such a large weapons pack wasn't really justified.

Oh and minor correction to what Uzi said, Vipersheart (one of the LoBo founders) made the first new weapon model in OFP (FAMAS rifle) before making his excellent HK pack. I might do a conversion of that pack if I can find someone to help with .rvmats and also getting the muzzle flashes to work.  The models themselves are overall fairly good.

I also should note, for those who don't know Uziyahu, that he was there at the beginning of OFP and actually assisted BIS with many of the sounds.  Myself I've also been part of the community since the beta stages of OFP.  We are, to my knowledge the oldest surviving mod from the OFP days.  

However with that said, that doesn't mean we don't make mistakes or get lazy.  lol.   So I'm fine with criticisms.  Snakeman your's was just a disagreement and it did push me to quit being lazy and put together a small seperate weapons pack.  I had just thought originally that maybe some people might like to add themselves the other weapons in Vilas's East Weapons pack.  However the more I thought about that, the more I realized that such an event was unlikely and that such people could use whatever weapons they want to add on their own through the mission editor.  

If there is one thing that I've learned its that when releasing addons, everything should be as simple as possible to install and use right away.   Otherwise I get my inbox full of people asking for help because they didn't read the readme file or they didn't understand it.  With grad school, a job, volunteer work, etc...  I don't have time for such thngs. ArmA is my procrastination tool of choice...so this pack is my way of avoiding real-world stuff I should be doing.  

lol!

Anyways....enough bickering...  Lets make some missions!!!!

VXR, if you're reading this, start busting your ass getting those ANA released!!!  YALLAH!!  YALLAH!!! (Hurry up!wink_o.gif  

lol!

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Apologies, just sorted out the problem, great addition btw, thanks for your efforts. They look great on the afgan map.

Agree, these units are great - perfect on Afghan maps!

Miles, I was wondering please if you could tell me the weapon and class names for your Taliban weapons - they look great and are very nice to shoot!

Or perhaps, would you consider making a LoBo ammo box Sir?

Cheers

Stew

they fit very well in opteryx maps, the soldiers in this pack are versatile, we can play either the 80's russian vs afghan conflict or nato vs taliban. great work on them !

would you add more cargo space in those datsun so we can board taliban the same way as in those photos ?

combat-7.1221554513.jpg

combat-8.1221554478.jpg

That would be very cool, but it would require mixed animations to be used for the proxies and a new pickup model added as right now I'm just using straight BIS vehicles. The pickup wouldn't be too much of a problem. The animations however would be as I don't how to put mixed animations on a vehicle. If someone wanted to help me with that I could definitely try doing that. It might be fun.

But I'm glad you're enjoying them. Yeah I purposefully made them also on the resistance side so that they could be used on Afghan-Russian War missions since they look the same now as they did in the 80's and with pretty much the same weapons.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

The animations however would be as I don't how to put mixed animations on a vehicle. If someone wanted to help me with that I could definitely try doing that.  It might be fun.

Maybe taking a look at the CRRC model (assuming it´s included in BI´s sample package) would help? smile_o.gif

there are also some pictures where they all sit the same way, but the car looks like a toyota, maybe you could modify the hilux

r210571_808051.jpg

pstan600.jpgtaliban-toyota.jpg

i tried to modify your datsun, i did a copy-paste from the racs landrover to the datsun, but the bis logo was visible on the doors and also the front lights. and some passengers were not visible

Interesting article here:

http://www.longwarjournal.org/archive....ita.php

High-water pants and sneakers are trademarks of Al Qaeda's fighters.

[imghttp://www.longwarjournal.org/images/Swat-Shadow-Army-thumb.jpg[/img]

yeah if they got longer pants they might fall over their own pants when they need to run away  tounge2.gif

Nah, if you check out that link and look at the link that was posted, it's the Pakistani Army that's doing the running.

Those Wahhabi idiots take everything literally when it comes to Hadiths or anything in the Qur'an...well unless it doesn't agree with their extremist interpretations. It's funny that they wear tennis shoes... if they were smart, they'd wear combat boots or at least hiking boots in order to prevent ankle injuries in that rocky terrain.

It would be cool to make the Al-Qaeda Shadow Army Brigade 055 troops. I might include them in the pack but I'm not sure if I'll manage to get tennis shoes on them. That'll be trickier.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Im loving these taliban units.

Suggestion:

I Noticed the quest for new or different sounds earlier in this thread. They are not Pashtuns yelling them, but it is Arabic.

In a video on youtube called

"Cowardly Fight in Iraq", in which it appears to be some kids fireing RPGs, and machineguns against a US foretified bunker.

They got some good "Allahu Akbars, takbeers, and that sort of stuff.

keep up the good work. thumbs-up.gif

Interesting article. But what the heck does the "This, along with the new dyeing of men's beards red or yellow is a sure sign of al Qaeda-ization." mean? Dyeing their beards red and yellow? A trifle bizarre surely?

In Islam, really devout Muslims want to do EVERYTHING that their prophet did exactly how he did it. They want to dress like him, look like him, and behave like him. This is called following "Sunnah". So because there were accounts that he put henna in his beard (a common ancient practice) then they do the same. Same deal with having a beard and having your pant legs stop above the ankle. Often there were practical or just cultural reasons for doing these things back then but that is not important to them.

But anyways, back on topic... I mainly just wanted to post on here that I'm working now on VXR's ANA guys who are coming out well and should be ready soon. They'll be part of a updated version of this pack.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

The reason for the reddish or yellow dye is not very clear cut, many scholars have different reasons.

Some say the profit actually had red hair.

He was fair of complexion and altogether was so handsome that Abu Bakr composed this couplet on him:

"as there is no darkness in the moonlit night so is Mustafa, the well-wisher, bright."

I guess this couplet has been interpreted in this manner. The fair complexion and bright.

Others say he died his hair using henna as to not look like the Jews:

Quote[/b] ]It is permissible, rather recommended (mandub) to dye the hair of the head (and beard for men) provided the ingredients used in the hair dye are Halal.

The Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said:

“Change the old age (white/grey hair), and do not imitate the Jews†(Sunan Tirmidhi & Sunan Nasa’i).

He (Allah bless him & give him peace) also stated:

“The best dye to change your old age is Henna (a red plant dye) and Katm (type of grass)†(Narrated by many Hadith Imams).

There is a difference of opinion between the scholars on whether the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) himself dyed his hair. However Sayyiduna Abu Bakr and Sayyiduna Umar ibn al-Khattab (Allah be pleased with them) did dye the hair of their head and beard, thus it will be classed as recommended (mandub), if not Sunnah.

The great Hanafi Imam, Ala' al-Din al-Haskafi states in his Durr al-Mukhtar:

“It is recommended for men to dye their hair and beard, even outside warâ€. (Durr al-Mukhtar 5: 271)

It is stated in the famous Hanafi Fiqh Reference book al-Fatawa al-Hindiyyah:

“The scholars have all unanimously agreed that it is a Sunnah for men to dye the hair of their head and beard with red colour. It is also considered a sign for Muslims†(5/329).

As stated above there is debate as to whether the Prophet actually did die his hair at all. According to a personal historical depiction:

Quote[/b] ]

Muhammad (pbuh) was of a height a little above the average. He was of sturdy build with long muscular limbs and tapering fingers. The hair of his head was long and thick with some waves in them. His forehead was large and prominent, his eyelashes were long and thick, his nose was sloping, his mouth was somewhat large and his teeth were well set. His cheeks were spare and he had a pleasant smile. His eyes were large and black with a touch of brown. His beard was thick and at the time of his death, he had seventeen gray hairs in it. He had a thin line of fine hair over his neck and chest.

Some say it seems a little odd that someone who dyed their hair would have grey hairs visible, especially on a thick beard. So some scholars say he had red hair to begin with.

Bottom line though Miles is correct it is according to the Sunnah that this is done and henna is what is used. As for why? Only the prophet knows.   wink_o.gif

Sorry for going off topic, Miles.

EDIT: By the way the whole reason I came to this thread was to say how well this pack has turned out. I'm a big fan. They bring a much needed atmosphere to the game. They are just beautiful on the Avgani and Afghan village maps. I'm having loads of fun. Thanks Miles.

Would make identifying Taleban and Al-Qaeda operatives easier in the field:

Black beard = Civvie

Red or yellow beard = Fanatic.

Perhaps this is where the hunt for Bin Laden went wrong...looking for a guy with the wrong coloured beard.

On topic, not had a chance to try these out, but am veh keen to do so. Somewhat inspired watching Ross Kemp slumming it with the troops shouting 'Fck! that was close' in HD on Sunday nights.

Love these talibans. Great work! thumbs-up.gif

Sorry for being thick headed but where can i get the classnames for them? Checked the readme and i didnt see them in there.

Setting up a DAC pool for a mission and would love to use these talibans in the unit pool. smile_o.gif

Thanks

/Alex

72 @ Feb. 18 2009,14:00)]Love these talibans. Great work!  thumbs-up.gif

Sorry for being thick headed but where can i get the classnames for them? Checked the readme and i didnt see them in there.

Setting up a DAC pool for a mission and would love to use these talibans in the unit pool. smile_o.gif

Thanks

/Alex

The way I do it is by placing the units in the Editor then saving it. Then open up the mission.sqm and the class names will be there. There's also a way to do it via the .rpt file but I can't remember how that's done.

classnames :

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

Cia :

LoBo_CIA1

LoBo_CIA1_AK

LoBo_CIA2

LoBo_CIA2_AK

LoBo_CIA3

LoBo_CIA3_AK

LoBo_CIA4

LoBo_CIA4_AK

LoBo_CIA5

LoBo_CIA5_AK

LoBo_CIA6

LoBo_CIA6_AK

LoBo_CIA4_SVD

Taliban:

LoBo_TalibanImam

LoBo_Taliban1

LoBo_TalibanRPG7

LoBo_TalibanStrela

LoBo_TalibanMG

LoBo_TalibanRPK

LoBo_TalibanSniper

LoBo_TalibanSniper2

LoBo_TalibanAK47

LoBo_TalibanMedic

LoBo_TalibanShahid

Taliban independant side:

LoBo_TalibanImam_I

LoBo_Taliban1_I

LoBo_TalibanRPG7_I

LoBo_TalibanStrela_I

LoBo_TalibanStinger_I

LoBo_TalibanMG_I

LoBo_TalibanRPK_I

LoBo_TalibanSniper_I

LoBo_TalibanSniper2_I

LoBo_TalibanAK47_I

LoBo_TalibanAK74_I

LoBo_TalibanAK74GP25_I

LoBo_TalibanMedic_I

LoBo_TalibanShahid_I

Civilian:

LoBo_TalibanCiv1

LoBo_TalibanCiv2

LoBo_TalibanCiv3

LoBo_TalibanCiv4

vehicles:

LoBo_Tal_M1030

LoBo_Tal_Ural

LoBo_Tal_UAZMG

LoBo_Tal_datsun

LoBo_Tal_DSHKM

LoBo_Tal_AGS

LoBo_Tal_D30

LoBo_Muj_M1030

LoBo_Muj_Ural

LoBo_Muj_UAZMG

LoBo_Muj_datsun

LoBo_Muj_DSHKM

LoBo_Muj_AGS

LoBo_Muj_D30

Muchos Gracias mi amigo William.  

I'll make sure to include that (and the new Afghan National Army [ANA] troop classnames in the next update's readme.

There will also be an ANA pickup with an MG on it courtesy of Vixer.  

May Allah guide the ANA to victory (if they kick out those corrupt bastards in the Karzai admin...smells like Vietnam all over again).   We need a tiger team to identify the best damn leader in the ANA to size things up and take over.  Kicking who ever's asses need to be kicked (with our help) and giving the ANA troops a heroic Islamic hero to follow who lays down the law (based upon the spirit of the Shariat) and who is dynamic in his personality.... a soldier's leader who sits down and eats with his troops and who lives in a tent or similar spartan accomidations like their prophet Mohammed.

The new Afghan leader really needs to be Shaykh/military commander.  

Pakistan needs to tell the Northwestern Frontier Provinces that they are no longer part of Pakistan.  Frack'em.  

That will clear the way for a NATO invasion.  Give them their own little country and everything will be made much easier. The proverbial line in the sand will be drawn.

Appoint an Islamic leader to head NATO (like from Turkey) and NATO will gain massive credentials.

If NATO was smart they would allow Turkey to re-establish the Caliphate. (That would steal the thunder from Al-Qaeda).

The Turkish followers of Shaykh Fetullah Gulen (the most popular Shaykh in Turkey who lives under FBI protection in Pennslyvania) are well prepared for this and have been growing in power in America, Europe, and in Turkey.

I know these people personally and I trust them 100% as I've lived with them and worked with them on education issues and poverty issues in America.   They are TRUE Muslims who are nothing like these idiots in Afghanistan.    The true Jihad is the non-violent Jihad (struggle) against poverty and the extreme-abuses of capitalism... something all of humanity can relate to in these difficult economic times.  

It's very easy tell apart the good Muslims from the bad Muslims.....the good ones are the ones with compassion, forgiveness, and love for humanity and Allah in their heart. The bad ones are the ones who preach nothing but hatred and violence against all non-believers (including Muslims who don't agree with them). It's as simple as that.

Chris G. aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Thank you William!

And thanks Manzilla for the tip. wink_o.gif

Regards

Alex

Thank you William1 - do you have the weapon/mag classnames as well?

Cheers wink_o.gif

Stew

you're welcome , sure:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

LoBo_AK47_T          LoBo_30Rnd_762x43_AK

LoBo_SMLE3            LoBo_10Rnd_lee

LoBo_AK47Iraqi_T     LoBo_30Rnd_762x43_AK

LoBo_AK47SF_T       LoBo_30Rnd_762x43_AK

LoBo_AK47SF_SD_T    LoBo_30Rnd_762x43_AK,LoBo_30Rnd_762x43_AK_SD

LoBo_RPK_T            LoBo_30Rnd_762x43_AK,LoBo_40Rnd_762x43_AK

LoBo_AK47CIA_T       LoBo_30Rnd_762x43_AK

LoBo_AK47FS2_T      LoBo_30Rnd_762x43_AK

LoBo_AK47M203_T     LoBo_30Rnd_762x43_AK, 1Rnd_HE_M203, FlareWhite_M203, FlareGreen_M203, FlareRed_M203, FlareYellow_M203

LoBo_AK47ACOG_T     LoBo_30Rnd_762x43_AK