Sign in to follow this  
carld2002

Track ir

Hello, I am looking at purchesing a trackir set for use with armed assault and have a few questions.

First, for those who own it, is it worth it? What are the pros/cons?

Second, do you think arma 2 will support it?

Thirdly, how about other games? Is this a dying technology or will there be continuing support for it in the future?

Thanks

i can answer that tarck IR is worth every cent. especially if you plan to fly heli/plane in arma.

First, for those who own it, is it worth it? What are the pros/cons?

Pros - More intuitive way of looking around. Makes you more aware of your surroundings, easier to keep track of targets and landings when flying, you can signal to your friends by nodding or shaking your head.

Cons - Expensive, your friends can tell when you are drinking while playing...

Second, do you think arma 2 will support it?

We know it will, its on the official site.

Thirdly, how about other games? Is this a dying technology or will there be continuing support for it in the future?

Not dying. You can use it in many flight - car simulations.

Thanks, keep it coming but you pretty much just convinced me.

Seems like arma 2 will use the full 6dof. Not quite sure how that will change things but it will definately be interesting.

Anyone have the headset clip? How does it work?

Also, now that I have you here.... anyone know how much more mainstream arma 2 is gona be in releases across North America? With arma 1, I had to buy online as I couldn't find it in any Canadian stores. Will arma 2 be different since they seem to be competing with codemasters who, most definately, will have a big NA release? Also, do you guys think there will be separate release dates for regions like arma 1?

Thanks again

I've owned mine for a few years now and I have to say...

If it failed I would have to replace it asap, it's almost as important has having a monitor connected to my PC.

just make sure you get it with the Pro-Tracker..not the reflectors that clip to a cap.

I agree with EvilNate.

I also have a headset clip. It works as the other version, except that you dont need a cap and there is a cable. The cable is to power the 3 leds and it takes it power from a usb-port. I have the cables for the headset, mic and clip braided into one cable to avoid a complete mess.

I couldn't imagine playing ArmA, IL2, Black Shark, or any similar games without a TrackIR. I've been using one in ArmA since 2006, and it's pretty much indispensable. I use the TrackClip Pro with a TrackIR4, prefer it to using the other clip/hat combo.

I've done a number of videos on them.. if you haven't seen them and are interested, check the news posts on http://www.dslyecxi.com/

I get e-mails on a pretty regular basis from people who have picked up a TrackIR via referral, and from the responses, people generally love them. If you're an A1 player or are planning on getting A2, I think they're definitely a worthwhile investment.

Freetrack could be an alternative, in case you want to build the harware by yourself.

Armalib by Kegetys allows you 6DOF in ArmA1.

Be sure you're getting high framerates otherwise you'll get a fuzzy motion sickness after a while. That's why I don't like it much in ArmA. I mainly use it on flightsims.

I have just bought it and are using it as an infantry man.

Its pretty special I might add, I havent been fooling around with the controls though but overall it really gives extra immersion when playing Arma.

The price have gone down and I dont regret for a second that I bought it.  notworthy.gif

Cool, I'm still not sure though as I live in Canada and their shipping fees are rediculous meaning with would total out to $200 even without duties and such.

We will see though, thanks for the replies, I will keep this updated if I decide to buy it.

Hi all

Well worth it. When you forget to start it before ArmA you end up re-starting ArmA as being without it is like loosing an arm.

Better with the proclip so get the package.

Dslyecxi has an ArmA Profile that you can download. It has the keys for tuning centering and switch Track IR off set up so the do not interfere with ArmA keys too much and saves you having to do all the legwork of setting dead-zones; download it. wink_o.gif

Big boon for situational awareness well worth the investment. Incremental lean gives you a big advantage in looking round corners.

On the matter of Motion Sickness

Yes it does happen but it is fairly easy to fix

If you feel sea sick just turn it off for a few minutes. Motion sickness tends to disappear as soon you re-establish local horizontal and vertical. Alternately have you computer screen set up in front of a window with some major vertical object such as lamppost to to give your brain and balance a vertical reference. After a while you get over motion sickness and it no longer bothers you.

Kind Regards walker

On the matter of Motion Sickness

Yes it does happen but it is fairly easy to fix

I have never experienced motion sickness, not even after 12 hr game play.

Im not sure if you would know this Dslyexci, but is Natural Point working on a new TrackIR by chance? I ask this because i was also considering purchasing one because I've been playing quite a lot of IL2 recently, but I was curious as to whether i should wait a few months in case a new TrackIR was being developed.

For gaming this is one of the best purchases you will ever make. I find it indispensible for Black Shark and Arma. Brings the immersion factor way up.

Be sure you're getting high framerates otherwise you'll get a fuzzy motion sickness after a while. That's why I don't like it much in ArmA. I mainly use it on flightsims.

quoting this for importance. I dont use mine on arma for this reason.

Im not sure if you would know this Dslyexci, but is Natural Point working on a new TrackIR by chance? I ask this because i was also considering purchasing one because I've been playing quite a lot of IL2 recently, but I was curious as to whether i should wait a few months in case a new TrackIR was being developed.

Wish I knew. I haven't heard any announcements or anything.

I think it'd be a pretty safe move to get a TIR now, though.

How do you get the armalib/6dof to work?

I've dl'd it and installed it but only my normal trackir functions are present in the game.

ps, about having to restart arma if you forget to strat trackir, use Yoma's greate tool. Starting arma with it, it starts the other things you want as well ( inkluding mods ofcourse ), like teamspeak and trackir

When you forget to start it before ArmA you end up re-starting ArmA as being without it is like loosing an arm

Can't remember how many times I've done that (pre launch tools), screaming in agony "Noooooooooooo!".  biggrin_o.gif  

Then I restart and, of course, I forgot to plug in the joystick...

Seems like arma 2 will use the full 6dof. Not quite sure how that will change things but it will definately be interesting.

Sure about that ? That would be awesome !

Quote[/b] ]4.1.2 Introduction to the Vector Expansion (Vector Tracking Mode)

The Vector Expansion for the TrackIR 4 and TrackIR 4-Pro brings an even greater level of immersion to the TrackIR experience. The Vector Expansion allows you to pan side to side, look around and even zoom - with full 3-dimensional tracking! Combined with the TrackIR, you get the most realistic head tracking experience possible. Vector allows you to expand your view control to a full range of motion, from 2 Degrees (2DOF pitch/yaw) with a TrackIR, to all six degrees of freedom (6DOF).

NOTE: Vector Activation is not needed on the TrackIR 4 as it is built in to the hardware directly.

That is from the online manual.