Sign in to follow this  
max power

Importing LODs from an external program.

I'm wondering if it's possible to create the geo for LODs in an external program and then in import them into O2 and how that would be accomplished. I'm asking this question to help me plan how to proceed on my project.

huh ?

Question seems too simple.

Yes, plenty of other programs obviously can create 3d models, but they generally have to have the ability to export the data in a format like 3DS or OBJ.

O2 can then import that data. But its still likely you will have to mess with scale and normals etc.

..... I myself find it a bit hit-n-miss if texture mapping comes across properly.

Did you literally mean the "GEO" (Geometry) lod?

No, just geometry in general.

I've just not used O2 before, so getting used to it while modelling the LODs I think would be more trouble than it's worth for now. What I was thinking was that I could model the necessary LODs in Maya and then export them each as their own obj. Then I could import each of them... I was just wondering if it would be easy or possible to import a number of meshes into different LODs, or if it was only possible to import into the first LOD or something.

Not that I know much about 3D Max, but from the O2 Import interface you can assign every named section as a different LOD number during the import process.

But that doesn't sound all that useful.

Likely its just best to import 1 LOD at a time.

yes u can create a geometry lod in a program such as 3ds max or maya. u need to make each selection of the geo lod a seperate object. and make sure all your vertices are welded. like if u have a box and u detach each face of the box to seperate elements o2 will see each element as a selection. will cause a big mess, and alot of extra vertices

Gnat @ Jan. 31 2009,10:39)]from the O2 Import interface you can assign every named section as a different LOD number during the import process.

But that doesn't sound all that useful.

Likely its just best to import 1 LOD at a time.

well u could import all your lod's at once if u name the parts accordingly in your modelling software. then just assign lod's using what gnat said in the o2 import options