Sign in to follow this  
Dvich

Armor Warfare

i thought ofp 1 did a pretty good job of those things (at least on the players side), in mp we were able to fight vastly outnumbering armoured forces on mercenary difficulty by being clever with positioning e.t.c.

ai tanks were pretty good too, on one CWC tank mission i retreated to the rearm/repair truck and suddenly there were 3 or 4 enemy tanks right in my face.

Sounds like a scary (and fun) scenario. Did you have the option to launch smoke grenades from the tank (don´t remeber if it was possible in OPF1 myself).

Because I remember when I was in the mechanized inf during my service, we were thought (combat veichle) to stop, launch smoke grenades and drive backwards during constant fire from our automatic cannon, when crashing in to tanks.

Thought it could be a cool thing to do in Arma2 also  smile_o.gif !!

yeah, it's so realistic with one man crewing an abrams

In PR you need 3 men to fully operate a tank.

Sounds like a scary (and fun) scenario. Did you have the option to launch smoke grenades from the tank (don´t remeber if it was possible in OPF1 myself).

Because I remember when I was in the mechanized inf during my service, we were thought (combat veichle) to stop, launch smoke grenades and drive backwards during constant fire from our automatic cannon, when crashing in to tanks.

Thought it could be a cool thing to do in Arma2 also  smile_o.gif !!

nah, no smoke grenades (ai would see through anyway). cause it was a tank mission on mercenary (ai friendlies were a bit suicidal on that difficulty) all of the other tanks were destroyed and left me with no option of retreat (maybe we can retreat in ARMA 2?).

my tank was half dead so i drove back to the repair truck and started to repair, suddenly there were tanks coming towards me at full speed from all sides.

i may have been good at the game but still, one tank can only fire so fast.

certainly the only game where you get that experience of suddenly realising that the ai have sneaked up on you and knowing you are basically dead.

(BTW i replayed that mission many times and finally completed it, it's quite the feeling of accomplishment to defeat an army of enemy tanks with just one (even if it is an abrams))

That must have been a nice feeling, killing of those tanks by yourself  smile_o.gif. I can imagine the scenario being suprised by 5 tanks at the same time, even though you are behind a screen, that would get the adrenaline pumping!

I don´t know but you guys, but I am really looking forward to tanks battles (in combination with infantry) against other players (not just AI).  

Imagine the scanario, your playing with you clan, you are sitting in your tank, foggy morning in and the sun is raising.. Your company are in a green forest waiting for the command.. Your driver pumps the engine, friendly artillary starts to explode at the horizon, your company attacks, rushing over the field, your gunner constantly looking for targets and you see a..

I am getting carried away  biggrin_o.gif  -  what are your armour dreams guys?

i love it when i'm with a full tank of friends online and just perfectly blast through a co-op mission with not even a hit on our tank.

strangely enough the only recent game i have experienced that level of teamwork was gta 4 lol. me and a couple of (RL) friends completely owned all the other teams in mafiya work, we were playing like a SWAT team or something.

Yeah man, I toally agree, when you get some funny and good guys into a gameplay and you are cordinated, syncronized and outmanuvers the enemy, supporting each other, giving orders and when all that effort leads to victory, it is the greatest (not to forget all the cursing during the process smile_o.gif!! ).

In arma and ofp you can put the cannon into manuel, point the gun down a little, then charge into enemy tank for a zero distance shoot, that's how unrealistic tank battle can be in ofp/arma

rofl.gif

I personally think that the player can choose whether or not to play armour out realistically. The Q key is there for a reason - to advance slowly. Many times in multiplayer, have I encountered players who want to rush through everything with the E key. huh.gif

The AI don't know how to handle tanks though - I have found lone BMPs and T-72s going around in circles in the desert. biggrin_o.gif The driver doesn't respond to the commanders...commands....very well, often I will tell him to turn left or right, and after turning, the tank will pop back into its original heading.

word war 2 online, a sim, ha ha ha.

When was the last time you played?

Are you aware that you have "you must fire this caliber round from this distance at this angle in this particular spot to kill the driver" specific coding in World War 2 Online?

i am aware that you can sprint up alongside a full speed tank and kill it with a single rifle grenade. (cant seem to find the video)

those other things sound good tho.

I just love that sort of reasoning, people find a glitch and then call the whole game unrealistic because of it.

I personally think that the player can choose whether or not to play armour out realistically. The Q key is there for a reason - to advance slowly. Many times in multiplayer, have I encountered players who want to rush through everything with the E key. huh.gif

The AI don't know how to handle tanks though - I have found lone BMPs and T-72s going around in circles in the desert. biggrin_o.gif The driver doesn't respond to the commanders...commands....very well, often I will tell him to turn left or right, and after turning, the tank will pop back into its original heading.

Well mate if its any comfort, I can say that things like that happens in real lift to  smile_o.gif. On my combat vechicle in the army, we had a driver which turned in wrong directions many times, was sleeping alot and parked the CV on top of hills making us dead on exercises.

Will there be a difference between the T-90 and T-72?

For you all I strongly recommend try ACE mod... it´s just like playing another game.

I hope that BIS consider something like giving official maps for a fee.

Well mate if its any comfort, I can say that things like that happens in real lift to  smile_o.gif. On my combat vechicle in the army, we had a driver which turned in wrong directions many times, was sleeping alot and parked the CV on top of hills making us dead on exercises.

You guys beat him with a sack of oranges later on didn't you?

Yes we did tounge2.gif , eventhougt I don´t think he noticed (still sleeping biggrin_o.gif !!wink_o.gif

Well WW2 Online has one of the best (if not THE Best) vehicle Damage System ever made.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_Online

Quote:

Damage Model

"

The damage model in WWIIOL is more complex than surface appearance indicates. Several critical components within each vehicle are modeled, and often interact. For example, if a radiator is punctured, it may boil off its coolant, causing the engine block (an independent critical component) to seize. Damaged components also provide feedback into the flight or ground simulation model; for aircraft, damage to flight surfaces will result in increased drag and reduced performance of the vehicle. Armor is placed in all vehicles to protect these components, with historically accurate detail on armor angle and thickness[2]

The ballistic model is also detailed, taking into account drag coefficient properties, muzzle velocity, and mass of each individual type of ammunition. For instance, High Explosive (HE) rounds typically travel a shorter distance than Armour Piercing (AP) shells, when fired from the same cannon, due to higher drag coefficient and lower mass[3]

The game engine considers the physical details of all rounds at point of impact, calculating the angle of impact and energy of the round, and thickness of the target vehicle's armor. Rounds which manage to penetrate may go on to cause damage to components or crew members, depending on the point of penetration, in relation to them. Rounds that do not penetrate may cause spall (high velocity metal fragments) within the vehicle, if close enough to penetration[4]

Because rounds may fail to penetrate or damage critical components, the complexity of the damage model can lead to incorrect beliefs about opposing vehicle's invulnerability, particularly amongst new players.

"

That is the way to go BIS. If you can't do it/won't do it, please please give modders the possibility to PROPERLY model this thing this time.

That is the way to go BIS. If you can't do it/won't do it, please please give modders the possibility to PROPERLY model this thing this time.

Holy baskin and robbins that is one hell of a nice damage model they have there.

edit: I had to watch that again... Wow times 2! +100 for WW2 Online damage system..

I'm sorry yall, but I'll take that over a train, a cow, or a rabbit any day (even though those features are wicked awesome). smile_o.gif

For you all I strongly recommend try ACE mod... it´s just like playing another game.

agree.

i'm sure most of the people here are familiar with A.C.E

great mod

Combat Mission Shockforce + Marines and asap British Forces are on the same way to simulate realistic warfare including damage models.

I guess that BIS isnt going to make a 100% simulated damage system on vehicles. Lets hope that such things will be customizable and new/upgraded + free Arma2 tools are released within first weeks too.  smile_o.gif

I bet the house they will keep the hollywood explosions and arcadish armor warfare on Arma II and we will have to wait for ACE Arma II...

And I hope I lose.

I think I'd really frown upon BIS is they did this. This is _really_ important stuff. When a tank and a infantry fighting vehicle have the same survivability and striking power(1 gun/rocket hit and you're disabled/destroyed), there's no reason for a tank to exist anymore. Especially with all those overpowered anti-tank weapons(not talking about Javs, I mean old rusty RPG's).

This is not an infantry simulator as far as I know, but I did notice the main aim was about ground combat. Armoured vehicles are a large part of that. I hope they won't let us down. Otherwise we'd have to rely on mods for it again, which is a lot of extra work for the mod makers that should allready be in the stock game. And the way mods work currently, using a mod is very unhandy for public servers.

No tomatoe throwing, I've been nothing but positive about this game so far! rofl.gif