Sign in to follow this  
berghoff

Anyone else still playing old/retro games?

It's really interesting to see the differences in people's thermometers when it comes to retro gaming. I'm so freaking old that I don't consider raven shield to be a retro game- just an older game.

Well, to nitpick, the topics both 'old/retro games' wink_o.gif

It is interesting to see the wide range of old stuff people still play though, I agree. You can almost tell how old people are just by how old the games they play are.

Ontopic though;

I was playing Sid Miers Gettysburg the other day, quite a cool little battle sim from around 1997! Gangsters: Organised Crime, and Imperialism as well. Oh! And of course, Close Combat 2 NEVER leaves my HD.

Of course I wasn't being judgemental, I just meant that my Zaxxon is someone else's Descent, as you said.

Sid Miers Gettysburg

!!!!

!!!

That game was awsome. PvP on it was like no other game.

Does anybody remember the old helicopter game LHX?

Golden Axe is available on Xbox live arcade!

Brought it and completed it with my brother in about 20minutes, still as great as it ever was but WTF!

Its crazy, years ago I must have poured so much money into the game tapping away at the red and blue manouvering with a joystick. It seemed like a game that could take forever to beat. Now on Xlive, killed it in no time.

Does anyone know the game G-Police?

Hell, I loved it sooo much. The story and the background setting was amazing. And I really liked the graphics...Too bad my copy got lost during the years...

Part 2 only appeared on Playstation and wasn't as good as part 1, but the ending was cinematic like... When they realised, that they couldn't call for help from Earth because of Jupiter and the enemy fleet came closer... pistols.gif

Was that the one with futuristic helos?

Hell, I loved it sooo much. The story and the background setting was amazing. And I really liked the graphics...Too bad my copy got lost during the years...

Part 2 only appeared on Playstation and wasn't as good as part 1, but the ending was cinematic like... When they realised, that they couldn't call for help from Earth because of Jupiter and the enemy fleet came closer... pistols.gif

Yes, i thought it was a very nice game with some sense of freedom and i think it is available on PSN now. smile_o.gif

Also a fun old game for LAN with friends is Die By The Sword + Limb from Limb expansion, good old deathmatch style with swords and clubs where you can chop off limbs and still can keep on fighting. My and my brother hadn't laughed so hard in a while.  smile_o.gif

It is nice to read through all the post, brings back some good memories. Back in the days we also like many had a 8bit NES and this youtube channel review some of those games in a non-standard way which is quite funny to watch, especially the silver surfer.  rofl.gif

Bit late to the party here.

I still regularly play:

- Close Combat 5 (currently going through loads of mods; I replayed Gold Juno Sword a couple of times, finished Okinawa, and am now a couple of days into Stalingrad: Operation Circle)

- Jagged Alliance 2 (with the 1.13 mod, which is pure awesome)

- UFO: Enemy Unknown, because having your best section wiped out to a man by chryssalids is fun

- WinSPMBT and WinSPWW2 (which are both free)

- Freespace 2, because blowing up spaceships the size of Scotland will never stop being fun.

I also keep meaning to reinstall F22: Air Dominance Fighter (the predecessor to Total Air War; same engine, but without the dynamic campaigns), both original Fallout games (but not Tactics, because it was a piece of shit), and M1 Tank Platoon 2, if I could find the bloody disc.

I miss how hard and borderline unfair games used to be. I think that's why I like OFP and Armed Assault: they still repeatedly and remorselessly fuck you over even after you got the hang of them.

Yes! Exactly. The first one was called Havoc (with the blue engines) and the second, the really cool one, Venom (red engines)... Ahhh such a great game smile_o.gif

Also a fun old game for LAN with friends is Die By The Sword + Limb from Limb expansion, good old deathmatch style with swords and clubs where you can chop off limbs and still can keep on fighting. My and my brother hadn't laughed so hard in a while.  smile_o.gif

Die by the sword was neat but the alternate control scheme was crazy_o.gif

Yes! Exactly. The first one was called Havoc (with the blue engines) and the second, the really cool one, Venom (red engines)... Ahhh such a great game smile_o.gif

Didn't EU invade and take over USA in that game? rofl.gif

It got good scores in reviews if i remember right. I didnt' buy it, my rig was useless those days.

I'm not much playing retro games. Mostly just golden memories from those days... But that is what they are, memories.

UFO 2 (X-COM 2) that underwater Aliens vs Mankind thing might be latest which i played last year, not much different from 1st one. Just that it mostly happens in underwater and names and outlook of things has changed. That i only even closely retro or old game i've played in a long time (mind you, i started my gaming hobby in year of 1990 with C-64, so 2D jumping games with ugly outlooks are only which i count to belong into "pure" retro-class)... Well Hidden & Dangerous might be another. It's tens years old so it's semi-old. No?

... Well i play relatively old Japanese action/adventure-games, like Final Fantasy and others. But most of those are not retro or even old. Just old looking. biggrin_o.gif

Didn't EU invade and take over USA in that game?  rofl.gif

It got good scores in reviews if i remember right. I didnt' buy it, my rig was useless those days.

Ahmm... no nener.gif

The conflict was set on a Jupiter moon Callisto. It was about two Enterprises attacking each other while the "local police" (G-Police) tried to stop the conflict.

Good news. Word is that my concerns about roms and stuff weren't warranted.

In that case, if you like arcade emulators, you should try mameplus. I've tried a few different flavours of mame and it is the best one so far.

Ahmm... no  nener.gif

The conflict was set on a Jupiter moon Callisto. It was about two Enterprises attacking each other while the "local police" (G-Police) tried to stop the conflict.

Hmm - I must be mixing it to some other game then... Or i've spent time eating wrong kinds of mushrooms sad_o.gif

I've got some old NES, SNES and Megadrive games installed on my missus' Wii via the WFC, to play with my school mates before we head off down the pub or somet. Just as much fun as it was 20-odd years ago.

Playing 'Streets of Rage' with my brother brings back a lot memories of us bickering as kids; I still see red mist when he snatches the health power-ups I need, or 'accidentally' grabs me, leaving me to get layed-into by assorted street thugs. Watching us must mortify my nephew biggrin_o.gif

I still play once a year Chuckie Egg...And I'm very pround of living the days that passing the level 64 of Chuckie Egg was a great honor to any living human being! biggrin_o.gif

I don't know if it counts but i sometimes play C&C 95 or other westwood classics, and sometimes starcraft or civ 3 or transport tycoon. tounge2.gif

Yup, i'm a gameplay guy. I don't need HQ gfx to have fun with a game.

Still playing:

1. Covert Action (on DOS Box)

2. No One Lives Forever 2

3. Xwing Alliance (+ HQ models)

4. Diablo 2 & LoD

5. Blade Runner (runs in Win98 Comp.mode)

6. JediKnight 2

7. Ghost Recon Advanced War Fighter I & II

8. Aliens vs Predator 2

9. Return to Castle Wolfenstein

inlove.gif

Currently downloading a pack of abandonware. No idea how many there are but the size is about 8GB, probably up in its thousands.

Hoping to find Outlaws, Blade Runner, HeXXen, Redneck: Rampage, Duke Nukem, Lemmings, Syndicate, Stunts and Civ 2 to name a few.

Really difficult to find a physical copy of these games in Norway, specially in my town. confused_o.gif

)rStrangelove @ Feb. 10 2009,21:15)]No One Lives Forever 2
Good one - although I actually like the first one more. I think it's a pity the series was discontinued (or at least no similar funny games released in a long, long time).

)rStrangelove @ Feb. 10 2009,21:15)]No One Lives Forever 2
Good one - although I actually like the first one more. I think it's a pity the series was discontinued (or at least no similar funny games released in a long, long time).

Little off topic here, but Sony's The Agency will come very close to the style of the NOLF games. And no, no monthly costs.