Sign in to follow this  
berghoff

Anyone else still playing old/retro games?

Sega Model 2 emulator which includes games like (Daytona USA , Sega Rally, Virtua Fighter 2, Virtua Cop 1/2 and Wave Runner etc)

Most games are 100% playable at full speed, so it's really good to play such 3D Arcade classics from the 90's at 1600x1200 resolution  biggrin_o.gif

The cool thing also is it supports mutliplayer over lan so you can setup several machines just like in the arcades.

BTW, the link bellow does not have roms etc, it's just the emulator only.

http://nebula.emulatronia.com/

Let's not get too deep into a discussion about the murky grey legal world of console emulation lest the thread be locked.  There are several flavours of open dos and there are plenty of free virtual machine programs.  Also, there are plenty of abandonware PC games out there.  Limited PC retro gaming can be perfectly legal.. however, I severely doubt that even the NES architecture is open and Nintendo certainly hasn't relinquished rights to its games, and I doubt sega has either.  Out of respect to game developers, especially BIS, let's keep the talk of out and out piracy to a minimum.

For dosbox, there's a really great frontend program called D-Fend Reloaded (Dosbox Frontend).  It allows you to have much much much more control, and doesn't require that you use DOS at all.  You set up a profile showing it what old game exe to execute with the profiler, what options and emulations to run, and go.

There are a lot of abandonware sites out there, notably The Home of the Underdogs, but I find www.abandonia.com to be the best site.  It's very informative and has lots of information about game compatibilities and the legal status of the games it's cataloguing.  Obviously, the ones whose rights are still held are not available for download.  It's not the most expansive abandonware site out there but it's very user friendly and extremely detailed.  It almost has a moby games level of detail with box shots and what not.

Space Quest! And Police Quest!

Old days here I come.

I remember when I was a kid back in the 90s playing the Sega Mega Drive with my mates before the PS1 appeared (I still have my good old Sega). I remember there was:

- A Simpsons game

- Some weird but funny one featuring Michael Jackson

- James Pond!

- Home Alone

- Mortal Kombat

- One of those Apache games but in Washington

- ToeJam and Earl which I loved but never owned

I found some of them on Abandonia. Does anybody know if ToeJam and Earl is Abandonware?

Recently installed Crusader: No Remorse. Runs great with dosbox and still is a fascinating game, so simple yet so awesome.

Other than that theres only fallout1, havent played far, still need to get into it.

The PSP is stuffed with:

Doom, Quake, Duke3d,

Pirates (for multiple platforms lol),

ScummVM (Monkey Island etc.),

Gran Tourismo 2, Tekken3

etc.

Good games for the occassional freakout and great memories with ´em  inlove.gif

I used to play Tropico last year. Great game.

James Pond is also a classic, but last time I started that up was way too long ago.

Recently I've played:

Archimedean dynasty

Lords of the realm 2

Raven shield

I'm still playing Hidden & dangerous 2 (Sabre squadron).

I've just realised that I haven't played OFP in a long time... confused_o.gif

I still have OFP installed. I think the B.A.S. Tonal add-ons were the best! Would love to see Tonal remade for Arma.

Also I still play Harpoon 2 and 688 (attack sub). I have somewhere around here Realms of Arkania and some of the old Ultima games (EAT THAT Oblivion!! lol)

While we're talking old school, I just re-read Red Storm Rising (Tom Clancy) for about the 6th time.

I wish my SNES would still work, then I could play Zelda and Mario. On a SNES!

From time to time i still play "dyna blaster" and "jagged alliance 2", sometimes "mario kart" over internet.

Mainly still have installed/ playing

Red Alert

Red Alert 2

Earth 2150

Populous

Half Life at one point

and of course ive still got OFP still installed and actively modding for it aswell smile_o.gif

It's really interesting to see the differences in people's thermometers when it comes to retro gaming. I'm so freaking old that I don't consider raven shield to be a retro game- just an older game.

This takes me back to the early days of text-adventures. Anybody remember Suspended by Infocom? In it you are suspended in a cryogenic state in an underground malfunctioning lab with the worlds population depending on you. You have 6 robots, each with his own skill ie.Seeing;Manipulator;Hearing etc...  who must help you repair all kinds of issues while the death toll rises above. I think this is the only game where the player character was more lethargic than his real life counterpart.

I rarely play new games for very long, the following games are pretty much always installed on whichever machine I'm using.

Most are fairly recent. Compared to the quality of today's games though, they're "retro" brilliance:

Jagged Alliance 2

Ghost Recon and Expansions

R6 Ravenshield

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri and Alien Crossfire

Heroes of Might and Magic III

Mame:

Aero Fighters

Mortal Kombat 2

Doom II (Doomsday source port)

Quake 1 (EZquake source port)

City Building Series (Caesar III, Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom)

Dungeon Keeper II

If someone remade these with some modern eyecandy and gameplay 100% intact, I'd buy 'em in a flash.

No

If I told you I owned original MK2 and Aerofighters Jamma boards, would you feel a little less haughty?

I'm not haughty, man. I just like the thread and I don't want it to be closed because people are talking about software piracy. I know that the people who own the rights to those machines aren't missing out on any capital from the bulk of arcade emulator sharing. Most people wouldn't buy them regardless. I'd rather miss out on discussing the stimulating world of petty software rights abuse and continue the thread, though.

Quit talking about emulators.

Why? For a lot of arcade games it's the only way to possibly play them, you cant even find or buy some old arcade games so it's the only option. A lot of original arcade boards and cabinets are collectors items these days which dont make money in arcades anymore, plus they take up a lot of room aswell.

Quit talking about emulators.

Why? For a lot of arcade games it's the only way to possibly play them, you cant even find or buy some old arcade games so it's the only option. A lot of original arcade boards and cabinets are collectors items these days which dont make money in arcades anymore, plus they take up a lot of room aswell.

I understand where you're coming from completely. However, getting a rom dump from an arcade machine and creating an emulator for it is tantamount to reverse engineering software. Discussing reverse engineering software for the purposes of IP abuse is forbidden in the forum rules, and is one of the few rules that says violations may result in a permanent ban. To be frank, I don't really care if any of you get a permaban but I like the thread.

Yes I like the thread aswell, but I dont see anyone getting banned as I haven't seen anyone post links to roms etc.

Of course there's always room for interpretation of the rules and the letter of the law vs. the spirit of it, but it says no discussion. It doesn't say 'don't use the boards to distribute copyrighted materials', it says 'don't discuss reverse engineering software'. I'll go to the 'ask a mod' thread and see what kind of reaction we can expect. However, I fear that this is one of those quantum observation moments where I can't ask the question without changing the answer.

i would love to get my hands on some retro games, as i a kid i had quite an addiction to golden axe, best game ill ever play as a kid,

i spent many months playing the game but only completed it just the once, such a classic game.