Sign in to follow this  
hamis

XP 32 2gb vs Xp64 4gb

Is there anything to gain if changing to XP64 and upgrading from 2gb to 4gb of memory?Less texture popping?More problems?

Xeon 3060 (C2D 6600)

Radeon 4870 x2 2gb

yes, with your 2gigs of vram, it helps to have more system ram, v64 is better for me than xp32,  and using 4g in XP32sp3 helped in the CTD area, tho with 2 4870x2s in CFX Xp would only show 2.25g in system ram. Now with 6g and v64 its better!  Xp64 should... be better too. But V64 home basic OEM is cheaper than Xp64... id just get V64.

neheleam 3.20

6g lowlat

V64

I have Vista Ultimate X64, it works ok here after disabling tons of crappy unneedes services (indexing anyone...)

Anyway, if you don't need loads of ram for other applications i wouldn't advise people to switch to vista x64 just for arma.

I like it mostly because i can now run loads of VMWares without big hickups, but it also plays Arma ;-)

I'm running Arma via Bootcamp (I use a MacBook Pro, core 2 duo, 3GB ram) with XPsp2 and do very well. Vista's not really needed.

How does it fare on the MBP?

I am just downloading it on a slow connection and plan, to use it on my 2.53 Penryn.

I remember, that it ran very stuttering on my old Pentium D 2 years ago.

If you want to go down the Vista road, I'd seriously consider waiting for Windows 7 to show up. You could even download the Beta or Release Candidate (due out in less than a month) and use that until the real deal comes out this Autumn. I've been using it since New Year's and it's very good. Aside from that, XP64 is very good. thumbs-up.gif

If you have a high end graphics card, I would go for 4 GB memory.

Even XP 32-bit is better with 4 GB memory. I know it dos not utilize all memory, but with the price on memory today, it's just good for you...

I would also wait for W7-64-bit If you don't have Vista all ready. But that's a personal choice.

well am runing Arma on Xp 32 bit with 4 gig in dut think iv had a ctd with this game unless its a frack up addon mind you i do get 20 to 30 FPS i know its not the cpu i have as am runing it on a AMD 5600+ X2 cpu its ma grxf card with it.s 256 MB mind you this week end am geting a new one with 1 gig on it so am hopeing to get some thing like 35 to 50 FPS i hope huh.gif

What sort of graphics card was the old one, and what sort is the new one? And ArmA is as possibly more CPU intensive than GPU intensive.

I switched to W7B64 4GB RAM and Arma plays like a charm. I can Alt-tab all day long and still continue to play. A lot more stable than XP32 and 2GB RAM.

Some problem did arise: Unbpo don't work (I have tried two different utility, and none of them worked).

I can't Alt-tab when in Team Fortress, TF2 hangs (black screen, no sound). UT3 will hang after 30 - 90 minutes gameplay. Before launching UT3 reports problem with W7B64 GPU drivers.

Most important ARMA is smooth. I use 1 GTX8800, no SLI

As long as Arma doesnt use more RAM than what you currently have in XP x86 there is no benefit in switching to a x64 OS.

Keep in mind a x64 OS need more RAM to perform the same operations as a x86 OS.

3GB RAM in a x86 OS gets you further than 4GB in x64.

If you're going x64 go with more than 4GB RAM.

I dont believe I've seen Arma allocate more than 1.2GB RAM so dont go x64 because of Arma alone. You'll be disappointed if you expect a magical performance increase.

GTA4 on the other hand has no problem eating 4.5GB of RAM plus a gig of VRAM. So I guess the future is x64 simply because of RAM requirements.

As for comparing Vista to Win7, there is hardly a difference between the two regarding gaming. I used to think Vista was bad for me too... untill I started using it on a new machine (i7-920, 6GB RAM, GTX295).

I wouldnt use XP x64 today simply because driver-support for Vista x64 has surpassed XP x64.

Thank's for the answers,i'll stay with xp32 and 4gb.

As for comparing Vista to Win7, there is hardly a difference between the two regarding gaming. I used to think Vista was bad for me too... untill I started using it on a new machine (i7-920, 6GB RAM, GTX295).

Yeah having a i7core with easy 6GB or more RAM on V64 is great, except if you have a ATI 4870, and play ARMA, you cant use more than 3GB of your 6GB... I guess a patch, or go out and buy a nvda gtx295?

i think without 64bit i couldnt have arma running at the same time with my >300mb ram that firefox is using plus photoshop and/or lightwave running at the same time...

How exactly does one surf the net and play ArmA at the same time? biggrin_o.gif

I was using Vista not long ago and had tonnes of troubles with software tools not running ,wont install,hardware conflicts ,Arma stuttering badly.....The bullshit just didnt stop.

It was a major pain in the arse.I am now using XP32 again cos i know it runs all the software i need it too.

Arma 2 on a Mac?.....

How exactly does one surf the net and play ArmA at the same time?  biggrin_o.gif

Windowd mode, or multiple monitors! He must have a decent system to do all that at the same time.

Windowd mode, or multiple monitors! He must have a decent system to do all that at the same time.

Don't forget several extra hands and an uncanny knack for multitasking  whistle.gif