Sign in to follow this  
CarlGustaffa

'Team Leader' in a sniper team

Hi

Who is considered the (most) 'team leader' in a sniper team, the sniper or the spotter? I used to think sniper, but recently I saw a small youtube clip where it is explained that a spotter is often a more experienced sniper to call targets and make calculations and so on. Does this also make him the team leader due to experience?

The spotter. He picks targets, provides information to the sniper when needed, communicates with other units, and monitors the area so that the sniper can focus solely on his job, which is hitting the target. Out of the two, the spotter has the far tougher task, since he has to do more multitasking than the sniper. I do believe snipers rotate, being the sniper one time, and spotter another, but this may vary depending on which country it is (or perhaps even unit).

I don't think any organized armed force (of a country) uses snipers that operate solely. The advantage of having a second pair of eyes is just too great.

Yup. The spotter is often a former sniper, with more experience, and they can alternate.

But in Arma, the usage of a spotter is very low due to lack of grass at distance. You are better off with a secondary sniper.

Ok, thanks. I'll make the spotter the team leader. My spotter has access to the only (ACE) laser designator for assisted range finding, carries the radio (no base messages without it to the team), and has a secondary role as a forward observer being able to call in artillery. Hopefully this makes it attractive enough to chose the spotter role. After all, the sniper gets to play with the sniper weapons, although heavy sniper ammo will be extremely limited as well as ammo in general.

I'll be getting the US Army Siper Training Manual by Monday, I hope... few hundred pages covering everything you wanted to know about sniping. biggrin_o.gif

The spotter. He picks targets, provides information to the sniper when needed, communicates with other units, and monitors the area so that the sniper can focus solely on his job, which is hitting the target. Out of the two, the spotter has the far tougher task, since he has to do more multitasking than the sniper. I do believe snipers rotate, being the sniper one time, and spotter another, but this may vary depending on which country it is (or perhaps even unit).

True. Like with squad leader. He might be most potent combatant of squad but still his task is more about using his brains and spending less time looking thru ironsights/optics.

Ofcourse it might vary alot, due persons and situation. But as general rule of thumb of "how it should be done" this probably is best way.

Hi all

When you ask an officer what their favourite weapon is they should say their troops.

Ditto snipers.

Kind Regards walker

That sounds cool, may I ask what you are working on?

Just a more realistic setup of Domination. 'Real' squads with a little less freedom, more restrictions as to what each class get etc. That sort of thing.

More here:

http://dev-heaven.net/boards/18/topics/show/348

However, I've reduced it now to a co@20, and for now incorporated both the spotter and sniper into the support squad (weapons squad, sort of, kind of).