Sign in to follow this  
oscar19681

please some hand to hand combat or knifes

I don't really see any use in adding knife fighting in this game.  Why bother with it when you probably won't get any closer than 30m or so.  I could rationalize bayonets, but I don't think they would be a great idea either.

Really? Have you ever played on the excellent Avghani village? I can't tell you how many times I've rounded a corner... More and more of us are liking rhe recreation of modern conflicts..ie,Iraq, in which the chance for CQB is immenent. Of course i know OFP wasn't built specifically for that but there's nothing wrong with trying to nudge the developer's in that direction. Truth be told, I highly doubt it will be implemented in the next release but you never know.

Just give us some mcmap

'just'? I hope you are kidding.. Do you have any idea how much time it would take to do it properly? huh.gif

im not sure about hand to hand but i would be in favour of the ai being more agressive than OFP 1, i would often find that in certain situations the ai would just sit back and let me plan from a distance rather than taking advantage of the situation.

I don´t see a problem adding hand to hand combat to game if it´s not too much trouble to do. If it´s going to be implemented just make sure that AI uses it fast and agressively. Maybe the approach could be something like this, if enemy(human or AI) gets closer than 2m away then AI always uses hand to hand no matter what, this should make sure that AI don´t start to count ammo or whetever but starts to attack like raging bull.

Yeah like someone else mentioned that when your really close and you press the fire button you charakter automaticly switches to hand to hand.

Yeah like someone else mentioned that when your really close and you press the fire button you charakter automaticly switches to hand to hand.

why not just shot him huh.gif

GoldenEye tried it..

Fail.

-0:18

Yea...considering net lag supremely sucks. If you attack with your knife, by the time the person sees the actual knife stab, and back off - they're already dead. Most of the time (from their perspective), they won't even see the knife with even near proximity. So I don't see the logic in the idea of realistically putting it in. Though the idea is good.

why not just shot him  huh.gif

Exactlly my thinking.

So if i came up close i cant shoot, but i automatically punch or knife the enemy? Come on now people. It is ArmA were talking about. icon_rolleyes.gif

Ridiculous.

Alex

I guess main argumentation of pro's are :

- what can I do when I'm too close to shoot (barrel length) ?

- what can I do when I'm running out of ammo ?

and con's :

- it's no Tekken nor Kengo (excellent game at its moment btw ! wink_o.gif ) here !

- automatism overriding firing ? no way I can't exactly control what I want to do !

So, for me, we should be able to do some gun-punching (like OFP StrokeGun) and some just-punch-punching (civilian StrokeFist), at least to disturb enemy.

Imagine you are a civilian, you want to push back someone to get in rear of a tank, you "punch" (push, at least) the guy, he is in trouble for 2-3 seconds, then if you are not fast enough he shoot you in the back... hehehe smile_o.gif

Imagine you are a soldier, you are empty, you may want to use this surprise effect since you are in a house and the guy in front didn't spot you. you run to him, then... ?

Imagine if there were all animations that human can do "put in" a game...

Imagine there were no performance probs or any other flaws that could disturb the hand-to-hand combat...

Imagine it would look great like in action movies...

Would be great to have some kind of basic stabbing if all things mentioned above are working perfectly - not to forget proper AI hand-to-hand combat.

Only reason imho for implementing is too punch/stab the units in very close combat or to unstuck AI.

Lets make a poll to get rid over stucked AI with "stab feature"!  wink_o.gif

I guess main argumentation of pro's are :

- what can I do when I'm too close to shoot (barrel length) ?

- what can I do when I'm running out of ammo ?

Too close to shoot? back off.

run out of ammo? shoot or die.

You see somebody trying to stab you? back off and shoot.

Realistic knives have never worked in multiplayer games.

no such thing as too close to shoot (especially for gangstaz lol). There are a few problems which would have to be sorted if we were to have melee, one being that it would be unfair if a guy with a SAW could attack as fast as someone with a carbine.

also it would have to be balanced-if it was one hit kill people would do it too much, if it was not you would be commiting suicide against any one with a gun and ammo.

Imagine if there were all animations that human can do "put in" a game...

Imagine there were no performance probs or any other flaws that could disturb the hand-to-hand combat...

Imagine it would look great like in action movies...

hehe, sure, but not what I said... and I'm not looking for action movie smile_o.gif

Now they separated upper-body and lower-body animations (walking with binocs, reloading while walking/running),

I guess there is a lot less work to do. When they added handguns in Resistance, they were able to do some anims and a new class of weapon. Just like knife would be !

Ok, by "too close for shooting" I mainly meant in buildings... you are better with a knife than a long M16 in really-close combat (at least I believe so ?)

yes, no ammo -> should I sprint and get shot or give a try ?

But I want to make it clear, I don't think knife is a "über-must-have" in Arma 2 ; just that knife (or CQC basic anims) can have its place in inventory wink_o.gif

<span style='font-size:7.75pt;line-height:100%'>no, no, NO, don't make it a counterstrike knife competition !</span> biggrin_o.gif

Or we can just make a 'push' action, so we could push away the opponent... and shoot him from a proper distance !  biggrin_o.gif

(I saw something like this in russian film Thunder Gates)

Yesss... the problem now is if there is knifes (or punches), will it kill in one stab/punch to award the guy stealth ? will it does absolutely no damages to just be free some seconds, will it "paralyze" enemy few seconds ? If not, how much damage... what a mess !

So before anything is clear in dev minds (hehehe, a lot of work to do tounge2.gif ), nothing should be implemented, this one for sure.

The 5 separate threads all on the same topic will not get you what you want. That is unless what you desire is trouble with the mods. Give all the examples you want, talk about how cool it is, it frankly isn't feasible for BIS to spend time adding this into the game. In short, it is 90%+ certain BIS will not implement any type of hand to hand combat in Arma 2. If you desire a mod maker to give it a go, post ONCE in the addons request thread under the addons discussion forum.