Sign in to follow this  
eble

OH-58 Kiowa Warrior

Wasn't sure what to expect of this when I started this yesterday.

Once the animations were sorted out, and weapon systems included, it is fun to play with.

At the moment in the video below it doesn't have spec/normal maps, infact it's missing a new texture.

I'll be able to fully convert, release this 'if' I can get some decent textures.

I was thinking of three versions:

2 x hellfire, 1 x 50. cal gun 600 rnds

2 x hellfire, 7 rounds FFAR

2 x hellfire, 2 x stingers

or a combination of the above.

I just thought I would start a general discussion on this addon.

Just because something can be converted does it mean it should?

Channel one is the Kiowa Movies, others various other addons.

don't forget visit youtube to view HD version

<OBJECT CLASSID="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" WIDTH=450 HEIGHT=332><PARAM NAME=MOVIE VALUE=http://www.armedassault.eu/Television/BISvideo.swf?vquality=hq&youtubeID1=mXmUer8uZDs&linkID1=http://au.youtube.com/user/eblevinda/&youtubeID2=HyFh36zWE-s&linkID2=&youtubeID3=Xa_mWynfTIY&linkID3=&youtubeID4=TS_5TXoSKsA&linkID4=&><PARAM NAME=PLAY VALUE=TRUE><PARAM NAME=LOOP VALUE=TRUE><PARAM NAME=QUALITY VALUE=HIGH><EMBED SRC=http://www.armedassault.eu/Television/BISvideo.swf?vquality=hq&youtubeID1=mXmUer8uZDs&linkID1=http://au.youtube.com/user/eblevinda/&youtubeID2=HyFh36zWE-s&linkID2=&youtubeID3=Xa_mWynfTIY&linkID3=&youtubeID4=TS_5TXoSKsA&linkID4=& WIDTH=450 HEIGHT=332 PLAY=TRUE LOOP=TRUE QUALITY=HIGH></EMBED></OBJECT>

Original Ofp textures

Southykiowa.jpg

Ofp textures slightly darkened

kw.jpg

a close up of the current ofp darkened textures.

kw2.jpg

Let me hear you thoughts.

Southy

I think there is no Aim9 version in real life, Stinger is the one that is possible on the Kiowa Warrior.

armtcfgs.gif

And this would also be usefull for more information on the armament. Click here

The textures do use a very big rework instead of only darkening them out in my opinion.  smile_o.gif

is it gonna have the laser still

im on my PSP so if it was shown in the vid sorry

I think there is no Aim9 version in real life, Stinger is the one that is possible on the Kiowa Warrior.

The textures do use a very big rework instead of only darkening them out in my opinion.  smile_o.gif

@ VXR yeah found that website earlier, my bad stuck aim-9's up instead of stingers. (been doing too many aircraft!wink_o.gif

I wasn't suggesting to release it with just darkened ofp textures, from memory thank god it's not like the su-25 with 70 + textures.

The main body of the oh-58 is about 12 textures in total, and given the very low poly count of the model it would cause no problems in arma.

@ blink, no the laser des wasn't included, but I'll check that as an option.

@ VXR yeah found that website earlier, my bad stuck aim-9's up instead of stingers. (been doing too many aircraft!wink_o.gif

I wasn't suggesting to release it with just darkened ofp textures, from memory thank god it's not like the su-25 with 70 + textures.

The main body of the oh-58 is about 12 textures in total, and given the very low poly count of the model it would cause no problems in arma.

@ blink, no the laser des wasn't included, but I'll check that as an option.

A solution for the 12 textures is to unwrap the model from scratch and create a new texture. That would raise the texturequality alot. biggrin_o.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock

Actually it doesnt really work like that. Its probably more accurate to say that Section count is more improtant than poly count.

But since you are only talking about 12 sections and - what about 4k polys? - its not going to cause a drama. (The BIS A-10 is 22 sections.)

However if you apply material RVMATS then you wil have to take a decent look at the mapping. Any mapping errors with applied RVMATS will eat GPU cycles causing performance issues.

Quote[/b] ]@ blink, no the laser des wasn't included, but I'll check that as an option.

odd, i can remember there being a laser on the kiowa for the a-10 to use the GBU in OFP

Gotta have the laser deg for buddy marking, that's the whole point of this bird! biggrin_o.gif

small up date laser des now included oversight on my part apologies  smile_o.gif

thought I would show where I'm at:

two screenshoits below show the kiowa with ofp textures and new textures thanks to vektorboson (who made these for personal use)

The new textures have spec/normal maps applied.

at the moment the Kiowa is missing a top, bottom rotor blades and V-Tail texture update.

Ofp texture

comp1kw.jpg

New texture spec/normal maps applied

comp2kw.jpg

comp4kw.jpg

comp3kw.jpg

Colour is not final.

Southy

The texture is defenately goin in the right direction but if I were you I would remove those weird splatter dents (i presume) and add far more riveting to the panels as alot of the airframe is riveted and double rivited to the external skin (as it is a load bearing part of the structure).

very nice work Eble! I wish to see it flying on my machine soon smile_o.gif

I was working on this baby some time ago (new 3d model, new textures) but unfortun. lost it due to my stupidity (didnt archive).

Anyway, thumbs up, I'll watch your progress smile_o.gif

Regarding the config of the hellfires

There is a version that uses milimeter wave radar for guidance, which is used by the Longbow apache helicopter.

BUT, the older versions use LOS Laser system.

Do you plan to use the laser designator to be able to paint targets for the hellfires? I mean, config those hellfires so they can Laserlock?

That's one limitation of the BIS cobra that I have never liked.

In reality the gunner of the helicopter would paint the target with his laser designator and the missile would go there

This way, with the gunner controlling the Laser designator and the pilot shooting the hellfires is much more realistic.

And you can also paint targets for allied planes carrying LGBs or launch missiles at buildings or bridges

For all your Kiowa modeling needs just go to our (current/former 58d pilots/crew) website. http://www.kiowapilots.com

We have helped with other game mods such as ones for BF2. Here is a link to our modelling and R/C section. http://www.kiowapilots.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=53

If you cannot find enough pictures for textures or anything else just ask in that forum. We are sticklers for accuracy.

Scouts Out!!!

The laser des is already on the kiowa now, laserlock for the hellfires would be easy enough, but they would also track lock anything else as well. ( I don’t really want to go down the road of taking standard targeting away, but I could make a special laser only version of the hellfire)

Even with my poor flying skills I was able to laser a building and have a AI bomber pilot come and destroy it.

I’m working on the gunners sights now, I want to get this fully animated, once that’s done, it will be down to textures and polishing.

Still need to implement the Mh6 rotors (tested yesterday with some bizarre results)

When the engine starts the main rotor shrinks and expands until the rotor blur kicks in, was hell funny to look at.

GEO LOD needs some more tweaking to get the ‘feel’ and ‘balance’ right , this is just trial and error and personal opinion, what I ‘feel’ to be right others could hate etc.

It’s a steep learning curve as I’ve not converted a helicopter from flashpoint before.

@ punisher5556 thanks for that link mate

Cheers

Southy

Awesome job Southy you have improved the kiowa to a high standard, its awesome to finally see the kiowa in arma notworthy.gif

wow southy! once again i find my self with some hope for a good support/recon heli thats modern, thank you! i hope you dont give up! the best of luck to ya man!

thanks,

soldier2390

wow southy! once again i find my self with some hope for a good support/recon heli thats modern, thank you! i hope you dont give up! the best of luck to ya man!

thanks,

soldier2390

No worries about this project being dropped, as long as I don't get run over it will be released.

Hopefully I'm having the textures updated as we speak and I'm finishing the animations.

once the textures and base animations are done, I need to create the 3/4 versions I'll make (pretty simple process) then it time for the first beta release, so the community can rip it apart and tell me everything I got wrong smile_o.gif

I'm more than happy with the progress, the textures at the moment are in my opinion just below those of the MH6 in quality, the cockpit will be what needs the most work.

Southy

Hi, i don't remember the name right now, but there was a man back

in the OFP days, that remade with alot of quality the Cessna's &

OH-58 textures among other vehicles with a quite good percentage

of success; Salesman may be? or something like that?, they were

very good for the OFP standards, i don't know how well they may

look nowadays in the ArmA with the spec maps and all that. Let's C ya

*Edit: Silessian? could be his name?, i really don't remember.

Good find ,but for Arma not good texture  tounge2.gif

Eble if you want i can make kiowa's real sound for you smile_o.gif

nice job with the texture, but i think you've almost reached a point where the only way to get more out of the overall visuals is if you add a few more polys to the mesh, especially around the cockpit. If you're doing all that nice work to the texture why not up rez the mesh a bit too? should'nt be too much work.