Sign in to follow this  
Törni

What's the deal with transparent textures

I have always problems when I try to make a 2D surface with some transparent or semi-transparent parts with alpha channel. ArmA seems to make either entire surface semi-transparent or no transparency at all.

I tried Photoshop plug, converting from targa with textview, but so far random success. It sometimes works, but sometimes it will not succeed no matter what. Is there a "proper" way to use alpha with ArmA? There seems to be more issues if the texture itself is very dark or has nearly black areas.

Make sure you have the correct _extension on the end of the texture (before the .PAA/.PAC file type extension). Try saving the file as whatever_ca.paa using TexView2 and see if that helps. Unless told otherwise, TexView2 will usually save the file "type" as a _co.paa which don't support alpha channels, hence them either working incorrectly, or not at all. For more info refer to the BIS Wiki.

I think that you refer to the effect using a transparent textur including a material. Without material, it behaves more or less like OFP.

You may check the URAL's / 5Ton's windows included in the BI samples for transparent textures plus materials example.

Btw, I use png-files as source plus texview2 to generate such .paa files.

if you saved in tga file , make sure you saved in 32 bits of pixels in photoshop or go not work in texview2

Jackal is correct.

Make sure you convert the new texture from the original .tga to change from _ca/_co.paa to _co/_ca.paa though. Simply changing the filename of the .paa in Windows wont work since the way ArmA renders the texture is written in by texview, during the conversion process.

I just remember what seems to be a "workaround" by BI.

When you check the optike_tank_driver.p3d, you may notice some surfaces that have a texture defined as

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">#(argb,8,8,3)color(0,0,0,1.0,co)

This way, you can avoid the "semi-transparent" textures because those areas are blocked-out in the transparent view.

BR,

mike