Sign in to follow this  
echo1

Windows 7 RC1 released today (May 5th)

I was already like  crazy_o.gif , and after reading the rest of the article, my  crazy_o.gif  feelings were confirmed  nener.gif

http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/02/16/2259257

Quote[/b] ]I suspect that the user upgraded to Win7 beta from XP - because ever since Vista there has been no "Local Settings" folder. In Vista, the old "Local Settings" folder which existed in XP was relocated to AppData\Local.

In the location of the old Local Settings folder is an NTFS junction, which merely redirects to the new AppData\Local location. Windows Explorer doesn't handle these junctions correctly and instead of redirecting you, will erroneously give you an "Access Denied" message.

Also, programs have always been able to insert themselves as exceptions into the Windows Firewall. Many applications which require internet access and which are blocked by the firewall will ask you if they can create a firewall exception for themselves. So programs have always been allowed to insert exceptions into the firewall - it's not a requirement that the program has to ask you first.

If a program is already running on your computer then it means the firewall is no longer responsible for stopping that application in any way - the firewall only protects against outside threats.

It's also far more likely that your modifications to the DLL broke something, which would explain why CS4 no longer worked. Why jump to the inane conclusion that Microsoft/Adobe are plotting against us all in some wild conspiracy?

Quote[/b] ]It seems patently obvious that is merely a file protection system (as per pervious versions of Windows since way back) and not any feature that could be confirmed as DRM. I'm not certain of this as I'm still tinkering with Windows 7, but it seems that the file protection has now been extended to applications that opt-in.

A .dll file changing is most often an indicator of a virus/trojan, malware etc. Least often it is some power users patching a binary. This feature existed in some form in previous versions only for system files. It was pretty badly implemented but it did protect XP/2003 from some degree of attacks.

Largely this feature would be a good thing if extended to applications.

Application gets exploited: Windows cans it.

Unfortunately TFA goes straight to the assumption of DRM. They also don't really attempt to circumvent it or even to actually go see if you can turn SFC off in Windows 7 (looking for it now)

Quote[/b] ]
Quote[/b] ]seems that the problem was that Windows was cooperating with the app vendor to lock out such hacking attempts.
No, it doesn't. It seems that the "hacked" DLL is broken. Or, at incompatible with how Photoshop is expecting to link with it. Or doesn't exactly mimic the expected entry points. Or doesn't initialize the same global variables correctly. Or is referenced differently by the Windows 7 kernel. Or did work through some black magic but is now broken through a new security model. Etc.

DLLs are "dynamic link libraries." They're .lib files that live in memory and can be used by multiple programs simultaneously. Using them is relying on Windows to compile your program for you; change them at your peril. This is a Windows 95-era problem.

But, more evidence that this article is unresearched garbage.

Quote[/b] ]And then finding that the OS even after reboot has locked you out of your own Local Settings folder ...

Here's what actually happened. Open a command prompt under Windows 7 (doesn't even have to be an administrator command prompt) and navigate to your user profile. (C:\users\username). Type in dir a:l. Those of you following along at home will notice that Local Settings is a reparse point - the "real" location where all of these files reside is at AppData\Local. (They're similar to *nix hard links.)

Vista (and evidently Windows 7) use reparse points to make sure legacy (or poorly-coded) programs don't break. Install a 32-bit program on 64-bit Windows and it will magically end up in Program Files (x86) instead of Program Files.

There are security permissions associated with these. No 32-bit process will ever make it's way to the 64-bit Program Files folder even if Administrator with a capital-A Himself launched that process with his UAC-emblazoned blessing. The same thing is true for that Local Settings reparse point.

So, why did his foray into Local Settings fail? Explorer.exe is supposed to know about AppData\Local and is barred from the legacy backdoor. Why couldn't he set privileges or take ownership or use his crappy Unlocker program? You can't take ownership/set privileges/whatever on a reparse point; that has to be done on the folder it links to. All of those actions would have succeeded (or have been unnecessary) on AppData\Local.

Interestingly enough, the command prompt can use the Local Settings reparse point. Navigate to c:\users\username . The command cd Local Settings will succeed (even on a non-administrator command prompt.) The command mkdir loltest will succeed and show up in a directory listing. But double-clicking on the Local Settings "folder" in the Explorer shell will fail. But, the loltest folder will show up in AppData\Local even though it supposedly created inside Local Settings. I wonder why the command prompt use the Local Settings reparse point, but the shell can't.

As for degraded record quality while playing back? I called it "crappy audio drivers" when Vista was first released. Lo, Creative fixed it, however slowly. Have faith, or turn down the sample rate in the control panel.

The release candidate is out today. Amongst the new features is an inbuilt virtual machine for running Windows XP (Professional, Enterprise and Ultimate editions will come with a free XP license. Home editions won't have the feature). The RC will be valid up until this time next year, so you get basically get a free copy of the new Windows (The final release probably won't be that different) for a year :p

Download Here.

Some info and screenshots here.

I'm using it right now, mostly like it, don't like the new start menu, want my old alphabetically sorted one with folders :(

I'm far too lazy to change to a new system after one and a half year of Vista... And I'll keep this attitude for atleast one year :D

I tried twice to convert over to Vista - once I stuck with it for two months, the second for a few days. Both times had me running back screaming to XP... On the other hand, I started using 7 around Christmas and I haven't looked back since :)

Edited by echo1
Typo

Yeah I hated Vista, stuck with XP64 for a long time, but Windows7 64 is lovely :)

Yeah I hated Vista, stuck with XP64 for a long time, but Windows7 64 is lovely :)

Same here.

I used Vista briefly and it wasn't that bad in the beginning, but after a month of usage it started to slow down badly. After the 3rd month it was totally unusable so I instead of reinstalling Vista I went back to XP.

However 7 is just great. I'm using it ever since the public beta came out (build 7000) and I haven't looked back ever since. Hell, I'm still running on that build without any major problems!

Already downloaded the 64 bit RC... I wont install it for about another couple of weeks though, Pretty busy. It's annoying reinstalling every program and game, ugh. Im using the 32 bit beta now (have been for a few months).

Yeah, I'm gonna stave it off until it's actually released. I've got too many damn games and apps to reinstall. :crazy:

You should be able to upgrade from most OS installs, I hadn't realised there's a file you can edit to then allow upgrading from previous betas, but then for going from XP - Windows 7 I have them on different drives so can just copy across the contents of Program files + Documents and Settings\Account.Name\Application Data which is pretty much 99% of your apps and their contents, most run without actually installing in Windows7 and those that don't can just be installed into the same directory you copied over and usually retain all user settings and content (skype, miranda & Firefox) are three very good examples.

For Skype I'm using 3.6 as that works in Windows7 without the annoying CTD's of 3.8/3.9 I can't stand 4.0

First of all im upgrading from windows 7 to windows 7, second im switching from 32 bit to 64 so i will need to reinstall everything. It shouldn't take more than a day though, I've done it before.

First of all im upgrading from windows 7 to windows 7,

Well according to something I read online:

To upgrade from beta you need to:

- Extract the .iso contents to a storage location you wish to run the upgrade from (a bootable flash drive or a directory on any partition on the machine running the old build).

- Browse to the sources directory.

- Open the file cversion.ini in a text editor like Notepad.

- Modify the MinClient build number to a value lower than the down-level build. For example, change 7100 to 7000.

- Save the file in place with the same name.

I'm not sure what precisely that's for, just something I randomly fell upon when trying to find some good sites about Win7 tweaking :)

Well, he wouldnt be able to upgrade from 32bit to 64bit directly - even if you could there's too much potential for problems so he'd be better of reinstalling.

Dont know if its been mentioned here before, but starting May, the win7 RC will start shutting down your computer every 2 hours (and I swear this is not a joke), until it stops working in june.

As in May 2010..

EDIT:

Actually, it starts in March 2010

From the M$ RC download site:

The RC will expire on June 1, 2010. Starting on March 1, 2010, your PC will begin shutting down every two hours. Windows will notify you two weeks before the bi-hourly shutdowns start. To avoid interruption, you’ll need to install a non-expired version of Windows before March 1, 2010. You’ll also need to install the programs and data that you want to use. (Learn more about installing Windows.)

Dunno about the earlier beta release (maybe Jahve meant that one..)

Edited by h -

Dont know if its been mentioned here before, but starting May, the win7 RC will start shutting down your computer every 2 hours (and I swear this is not a joke), until it stops working in june.

This must qualify as the most misleading post of the month... Please please get your facts right before posting stuff like that. :wink_o:

(As said above, it's when the RC expires in 2010)

Edited by echo1

Been running the Beta since December/January and the RC since last month;

As Vista fan, im even greater fan of 7 :) Maybe not worth the money to upgrade, depending on what you do, but for new PC etc; come get sum!

Together with the recent Nvidia 185.81 drivers... runs like a dream :P

Edited by Sickboy

I'm actually pleasantly surprised with Windows 7. I gave into the persuasion from friends of mine and signed up for the release candidate. Downloaded, burned to a DVD and installed on a separate partition to allow dual-booting between XP and it.

I must say, this is certainly better than Vista, and may even be better than XP. I'm finding it to be much faster and responsive. There are a couple of compatibility issues. For me, the only program that has compatibility issues is Norton Internet Security 2009 (yeah, I know...) but Symantec has already come out with a compatibility fix. Haven't installed it because I don't want my XP boot to screw up. Same with my GTX 280 drivers, so I can't play any games on it either, unfortunately. I may try later on.

But I definitely recommend trying it out. Especially since it's free, easy to install and easy to uninstall. I'm looking forward to the release.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised with Windows 7. I gave into the persuasion from friends of mine and signed up for the release candidate. Downloaded, burned to a DVD and installed on a separate partition to allow dual-booting between XP and it.

I must say, this is certainly better than Vista, and may even be better than XP. I'm finding it to be much faster and responsive. There are a couple of compatibility issues. For me, the only program that has compatibility issues is Norton Internet Security 2009 (yeah, I know...) but Symantec has already come out with a compatibility fix. Haven't installed it because I don't want my XP boot to screw up. Same with my GTX 280 drivers, so I can't play any games on it either, unfortunately. I may try later on.

But I definitely recommend trying it out. Especially since it's free, easy to install and easy to uninstall. I'm looking forward to the release.

You can get 185.71 from www.guru3d.com and play games all you want I guess :)

Windows 7 RC 64 Bit still doesn't like 2003 R2 domains (even if they have fqdn) :(

del *.iso

Xeno

Windows 7 RC 64 Bit still doesn't like 2003 R2 domains (even if they have fqdn) :(

del *.iso

Xeno

Working fine here. For the Beta there was a hotfix; but that one is not required for RC.

Is DNS setup properly in your network? (e.g do you have a MS DNS server with the domain setup in it, and does the Win7 machine have that DNS Server setup for DNS Queries?)

Edited by Sickboy

Working fine here. For the Beta there was a hotfix; but that one is not required for RC.

Is DNS setup properly in your network? (e.g do you have a MS DNS server with the domain setup in it, and does the Win7 machine have that DNS Server setup for DNS Queries?)

The domain is up for allmost 2 years now, so yes, setup is correct :) (even a Vista 64 client can join, though it takes ages to get into the domain).

Win 7 network settings (including DNS) are also correct.

Problem might be that the 2003 server is 32 Bit.

From what I've read, Windows 7 32 doesn't have that problems. Somebody else had exactly the same problems, switched to 32 Bit and could join the domain immediately.

Xeno

You can get 185.71 from www.guru3d.com and play games all you want I guess :)

Any idea if doing so would not cause issues if I was to use my card in XP rather than Windows 7? I tells ya, if it doesn't, I may stop using XP for a while. :cool:

Also, wouldn't I want 185.81? Or is .71 a special one?