Sign in to follow this  
panzergrenadier3

OFP not running on new system

Hi,

I've got a new pc for some reasons. Now I want to play OFP and I have installed it. OFP starts, but than there appears only a black screen, nothing else. If I remove the option "-nosplash" there are the entrance-screens, but after them there is still only the black screen. Never get into the menu or game.

My stystem:

AMD X2 6000+

4 GB RAM

GeForce 9500GT

Realtec onboard soundcard

WinXP Home SP3

DirctX 9 from november 2008

OFP Resistance 1.96

Have tried to choose Direct3D and Direct3D Hardware T&L with the same result.

ArmA is running very fine! Any ideas how to get OFP running?

Thanks!!!

Have you remmembered to use -nomap command?

STGN

Yes, off course.

Now I've a bit continued without doing anything. It wents to the "receive" screen. It runs near to the end of the loading "beam". But then it happens nothing more.

No one with an idea?

Working now. But only with the original OFP units. If I try to play with an addon (set only this unit in editor and press preview) I don't get into the "mission". It stops on the loading-screen and nothing more happens.....

A guide for getting OFP running on new PCs would be great....

Most of the addons are working. The few that are not, have a checksum error. But I can't understand this. On my old PC this addons have been worked well.

Anyone out there with a solution of this problem?

I've no idea what could be wrong.

But,

I assume your operating system is a 32-bit version ("Home" tells me so). That is OK. But what about the amount of RAM? What if you take one RAM module out? Or two if it refuses to work still. A normal 32-bit system is unable to use the whole 4 GB anyway so actually you bought too much RAM for that operating system. But that's not the point actually.

The point is that there might be problems in OFP in how it operates on a system with more RAM than what was usual when OFP was developed.

ArmA had problems with larger amount of memory on some systems, as I recall. So it is not far-fetched to say that similar problems can be in OFP as well.

And another thing is to try another version of graphics card driver, as they are known to cause problems in general. Newer isn't necessarily better. But this problem of yours sounds like it is not related to the graphics card. But we never know with this unreliable and "sophisticated" thing called PC technology.

And did you check this page?

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki....hooting

There is some talk about checksum errors.

For example "I have a computer based on the VIA chipset. Any problems with that?" http://community.bistudio.com/wiki....that.3F

Hi,

I've got a new pc for some reasons. Now I want to play OFP and I have installed it. OFP starts, but than there appears only a black screen, nothing else. If I remove the option "-nosplash" there are the entrance-screens, but after them there is still only the black screen. Never get into the menu or game.

My stystem:

AMD X2 6000+

4 GB RAM

GeForce 9500GT

Realtec onboard soundcard

WinXP Home SP3

DirctX 9 from november 2008

OFP Resistance 1.96

Have tried to choose Direct3D and Direct3D Hardware T&L with the same result.

Thanks!!!

That's far from being a new system. Please report you're specifications properly using this as a guide: http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....t=76802

Edit: I just installed Operation Flashpoint on this high end Core i7 system and let me just say OFP is not optimized to take advantage of newer hardware. If I raise the terrain quality to very high and I move the mouse or look around quickly I experience massive lag. The textures also seem to be rendered poorly even on maximum texture detail setting.

I too am having minor problems with OFP on a high-end system i.e. i7 920, 2x gtx285 1MB sli, 6mb ram vista 64 ultimate. The multipass texture rendering is slow when new objects sweep quickly into view. I also experience a small amount of mouse stutter when quicky sweeping my field of view over multiple units. It by no means ruins the gameplay but it is a minor irritant. I have tried every possible combination of settings. I don't think it is worth any more fussing.

If anybody has discovered optimal settings, both in and out of game, for similar hardware, please post.

Hi,

Thanks!!!

I have that same problem which started right away when I removed my old GeForce 7900GT and put in a new Radeon HD4890.

I've tried various different resolutions, refreshing rates and other preferences but it won't work even 320 x 240 resolution... I Also reinstalled game (GOTY) --> same result.

By the way, CPU is under heavy strain all the time when OFP tries to run:confused:

My system is:

Core2Duo E6600 @ 3GhZ

3Gb RAM

Radeon HD 4890 1Gt

ASUS P5B motherboard

Win XP SP2

ATI Catalyst 9.6, tried 9.5 also...

And GOTY 1.96

Hopefully someone can solve this situation, thx!:j:

I've got the following system and I never had any problems with OFP.

AMD Opteron dual core 185 @ 3.0 GHz

4GB DDR400 RAM

nVidia GeForce 7600Gs

Windows Vista Business 64bit

I run OFP (OFP GOTY 1.96) on maximum settings and maximum view distance (I just keep the terrain detail to "LOW" becaouse then it gets very bumpy and I dont like that) and I've never had any lag on this system while playing OFP/ArmA.

Maybe its becaouse of your Operating System, Windows XP is a grand father now you should get Vista. On windows XP I always had a problem with the windows and OFP mouse appearing in game and even ALT + TAB didnt work and I had game crashes but when I installed Vista all these problems are gone :)

I have that same problem which started right away when I removed my old GeForce 7900GT and put in a new Radeon HD4890.

I've tried various different resolutions, refreshing rates and other preferences but it won't work even 320 x 240 resolution... I Also reinstalled game (GOTY) --> same result.

By the way, CPU is under heavy strain all the time when OFP tries to run:confused:

My system is:

Core2Duo E6600 @ 3GhZ

3Gb RAM

Radeon HD 4890 1Gt

ASUS P5B motherboard

Win XP SP2

ATI Catalyst 9.6, tried 9.5 also...

And GOTY 1.96

Hopefully someone can solve this situation, thx!:j:

I'm afraid that OFP doesn't really take well to the latest and greatest hardware. Have you tried reinstalling Windows since you upgraded your graphics card?

Try to installl windows Vista, it might sound like a radical step but belive me it can solve some problems :)

I wouldn't have thought that installing Windows Vista would be a good way of rectifying compatibility issues. I'd imagine that Flashpoint would be more compatible with an older system like XP.

I'm afraid that OFP doesn't really take well to the latest and greatest hardware. Have you tried reinstalling Windows since you upgraded your graphics card?

I haven't tried that yet, maybe I should try. Thx for the tip. I would not be so optimistic about Vista either :j:

I haven't tried that yet, maybe I should try. Thx for the tip. I would not be so optimistic about Vista either

I thought the same but becaouse windows Vista is newer it can hendle newer hardware better then XP, its worth a shot you can always go back to XP :)

It works again, after reinstalling XP. Great!:) No Vista needed...at least yet.

Nice to hear :) How did you fix it?

Just reinstalled completely WIN XP with SP2. Something was messed up after I put my new Graphics card in. Now all I need is more freetime so I can play all my favorites: Arma 1 & 2 and OFP of course :)

Thanks everyone who helped!

i had a OFP problem on my old pc but it wasnt black screen, game worked fine but when i put more addons, the game would not start it would report error- not enought memory or some thing like that...

But i used the same addons like before and worked fine...

and 6 monts later i bought new motherboard and then game started working, the CPU and graphic card and RAM were the same i onley changed motherboard...now i have new PC intel Core2quad Q6600, 2,4ghz 2gb ram and Gforce 9600 gt 1gb memory, win XPsp3 and the game works fine but some other old games do not work, i tried freedom fighters and get a black screen and some old strategie game got a black screen...