Sign in to follow this  
CyDoN

One question that MANY fans care about.

I really dont like PvP, I find most times its over inflated ego's of pwnd Lol lol lol. your moma in your face kinda ppl. Which I admit is not how eveyone is and in no way am I generalising. I think it takes a few bad experiences to put you off PvP. I do however like the ideas of GroupvGroup PvP style matches. where a set objective of capturing or holding areas. Those require team coop vs team coop. The outcome isnt decided by who has relfexes or a cat and dexerity of an octopus, Which sadly i dont possess at all lol..

I was briefly however involved in with a PvP clan, who had training and were in OFP1 leagues. I did get to see the otherside of how its done and that egos are not always the rulers of the server.

I love CTI, but find even in those games theres often rambo solo artists that dont share the ideal of teamwork..

Id love to see Arma2 come out with great action scenerio PvP elements. Where teamwork is the deciding factor and the winner.

Some prefer the challenge of a human opponent to dumb bots.

Teamwork usually is the deciding factor in all team games when player skill levels are matched. To encourage teamwork in pvp requires class based system, instead of now where nearly every single person picks a rocket launcher and a sniper rifle.

Then you have people fighting and TK'ing for the pilot spots, sniper spots, etc

I have played PvP in ArmA and had a blast, but it was a tightly regulated server with a very specific mission and rule set. Playing against human intelligence is always more challenging and more immersive than playing against AI.

As far as regular pubbing, to control the behavior is one thing, coordination is another. Coordination 16+ players per side is a headache.

Back in OFP PvP worked well because, for many, it was their first experience in more than Unreal Tournament. Now, everyone has played several games and everyone feels as if their idea is the best way to tackle the mission. Teamplay tends to go off to the wayside in lieu of pride.

I wish I could say differently, but it's the sad truth of today's gaming state.

Clan organized gameplay in PvP is still alot of fun, but that's generally by invite only since the servers are locked to keep the "I just wanna shoot and fly stuff" pubbers out.

the OP has no imagination...

any mission can be players or ai.. why do the devs need to have special coding, they give US the freedom to do what we want..

the great thing about these games is that your NOT stuck to horrid "game modes" that hinder gameplay..

the point is to have organized PvP matches between teams, clans you name it. Public servers are never a challenge of expirienced players, also to play in public servers you have to trust in good faith and skill of other players in order to avoid TK and noobism or whatever anyone would call it.

I personaly don't really care about public PvP its always boring, and noone follows the objective they only go for the kills so you see tank campers etc, only if there where a ranking system it might have a little intrest but still it would be just public.

the point is to have organized PvP matches between teams, clans you name it. Public servers are never a challenge of expirienced players, also to play in public servers you have to trust in good faith and skill of other players in order to avoid TK and noobism or whatever anyone would call it.

I personaly don't really care about public PvP its always boring, and noone follows the objective they only go for the kills so you see tank campers etc, only if there where a ranking system it might have a little intrest but still it would be just public.

I read this to be about the missions themselves.. not the server.

you telling me you cant have two clans doing real world missions on a private server? we did it many times.

Also a ranking system is not a good idea. You complain about people playing to get kills, that's exactly what a ranking system will create, see BF2/2142, and CoD4.

Also a ranking system is not a good idea. You complain about people playing to get kills, that's exactly what a ranking system will create, see BF2/2142, and CoD4.

and this is one of the multitude of reasons that has made OFP/ARMA great.

leave the bf/cod crap to ofp2.. we want to keep our ofp/arma.

Not to mention the unlocks in BF2 were a joke. I remember finally getting the barrett, only to have my heart broken when it took 2 shots to the chest to kill someone. This thing can be used to disable vehicles IRL, and I see infantry walking off a direct hit to the chest. Even if your body armor would prevent penetration, the impact would still KILL you.

Not to mention the unlocks in BF2 were a joke. I remember finally getting the barrett, only to have my heart broken when it took 2 shots to the chest to kill someone. This thing can be used to disable vehicles IRL, and I see infantry walking off a direct hit to the chest. Even if your body armor would prevent penetration, the impact would still KILL you.

Remember kids, BF2 is NOT the sim you want. ArmA is ! smile_o.gif

has ANYBODY here EVER played a CLANMATCH in ANY game? Or you just come here to post your random BS?

has ANYBODY here EVER played a CLANMATCH in ANY game? Or you just come here to post your random BS?

OFP was ripe with clanwars and they didn't need official missions. All tournaments have their own needs and make the missions to match them.

It's not like in CoD or BF games where you're stuck with premade levels and the amateur ones are always of lesser quality because of the effort it takes to model the level. In BIS' games scripting and location choices are in the main role and they are significantly easier to manage, thus the community can and has made missions far better than the official ones.

My clan and I were playing in a tournament with missions made by the admins for each match, that is until the other teams all dropped off and it imploded.

I can't see the harm of Arma2 having some dedicated PVP modes, in the end it is only going to increase the scope of people this game will attract. Some of you guys saying that PVP game modes are automatically unrealistic need to takes your heads out of your gaping pie holes.

Lol made me chuckle!

I've played matches in 'Enemy Down' Ladders and the other one for CoD4 and BF2 -yeah sry i was bored!  rofl.gif

As well as back in the Ofp days!  smile_o.gif

as i sed i understand what your saying but we'll have to just wait and see what BI comes up with?

Ithink the new version of warefare would be exiting to play in clan wars, just sad I live such a busy life to see that i would have time for anything else than the quicker 1-2 hour action trips once or twice a week. tounge2.gif

You saying people don't have clan matches?

Edit: I will add that if I am correct, there are clan matches in ArmA, just not as frequent, and actually they don't often refere to themselves as clans. I know of some groups who occasionally have butted heads with one another.

You saying people don't have clan matches?

Edit: I will add that if I am correct, there are clan matches in ArmA, just not as frequent, and actually they don't often refere to themselves as clans. I know of some groups who occasionally have butted heads with one another.

still this is not a CM. What I mean is clan matches with standart maps in tourments cups etc..

Hi all

Leagues and ladders are so arbitrary and frankly boring.

Standard maps are just plane wrong headed and inevitably boring.

I am a great fan of the "Come and have a go, if you think your hard enough!" ethos.

I think challenge belts/cups are a better model.

The team that owns the cup sets up a map and the challenger makes another. Both teams play both sides of both maps. Points are assigned by the mission makers.

Either clan can use AI and spawn/JIP as they wish. The major advantage of this is that any team of any size can play any other team.

FA Cup, European cup, World Cup, Super Bowl, Wimbledon, the Olympics, Boxing, they are all challenge cup/medal/belt based.

Leagues and ladders are old hat.

ArmA II is new game and needs a new paradigm

Perhaps Territories/islands should be both the battleground and the prize; heck why not make players/and attached assets such as MOD teams the prize.

Kind Regards walker

Edit I have posted this as a seperate thread here:

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....t=77679

still this is not a CM. What I mean is clan matches with standart maps in tourments cups etc..

Why do you want tournaments to play officially made missions? You've been explained already that "maps" aren't made like in other games: you have a premade world where you place units and scripts and there is no magic touch that the developers can deliver into a pvp mission that a normal community member can't.

As to the issue at hand, if BIS don't include enough PvP then why not make your own? The editor is advanced enough, the game engine is complex enough to make all kinds of PvP that you can desire, if there aren't enough servers hosting PvP then get together with your friends and start up a PvP only server, if you build it they will come as the movie said wink_o.gif

I thought about what Marek said and it remind me one question, why nobody tryied to remade an OFP animations addons for Armed Assault, as some modders modified some animations DATA of the OFP game ?

IF necessary for ArmAII, I suppose it's never late to make one to suit with it.

Ok so lets setup the perfect kit for PvP:

- First of all lets be fair...not everyone out there has the same computer so lets set viewdistance for those with lower rigs .... say 1000m

- Then as you only have the money to play bandwildth for a 32 players server lets shave the map and make it 1.000mx1.000m .... that itself trows choppers and MBT out of the battle.

- Now change animations so you can switch weapons as it was unrealtournament

- Make it more interesting and put some hollow poorly modelled buildings so people can make strongholds ... this is starting to make it more likely stalingrad WOHOOO.

Now ... this is it ... the ultimate game... I´m just shitting my pants in excitement! how didnt I realize how cool this game could be in PvP???

JESUS! Shame on me huh.gif

^^^

Epic failure at grasping a simple concept and understanding text written in this topic.

^^^

Epic failure at grasping a simple concept and understanding text written in this topic.

Yes. But he at least tried, bit like crippled tries to run... You have to give him (small) applause for that.

- Now change animations so you can switch weapons as it was unrealtournament

The switching of weapons in OFP is exactly the same than in ArmA, so your sentence looks like a litlle bit...shabby...doesn't it ?  whistle.gif

Nobody tends to make some dellusional neccessity to compare with Unreal or whatever you could name, it's even so absurd from you to dare to think of it when everybody here came from OFP and ArmA.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Now, to go back about what I said, I just would to hear what other "open minded" players (I suppose I must precise it to avoid any "gna gna gna PvP is fucked up" posting, so don't even answer to my post if you feel like saying something like that).

Lot of players who share the same point of view as Frantic, I, Celery (??), find that ArmA's body movements was a part of the failure this game has known, even thought I and a lot of players played it with good fun on CTF, Berzerk, until people quit the game pretty fast.

So I try to figure out, is there so few of Modders in ArmA in comparaison with OFP to still not have tryied such modifications, did they quit so earlier the game, or they just didn't think about doing it ?

I don't know anything about modding and making addons, but what could have prevented modders to try them, especially those who were fan of OFP ??

Just warming your little corner...most people allready spoke... Its sad that you still dont see the pink elephant.

Who cares..