Sign in to follow this  
CyDoN

One question that MANY fans care about.

So the worst enemy of PvP game or gaming style of a given game is not the coop comunity... Its the power of a single cheater to screw the rest of 31 players wether they want a brainless shkirmish or not

I totally agree with you on this and its one of the reasons I dont do so much PvPing anymore.

I try to play PRMM from time to time but even then, there are cheaters all over the place there. The community is pretty good at weeding them out mind you, but equally, a cheater can ruin a session pretty quickly to the point you arent going to want to play.

Cheating is rampant and that, along with the lack of people who develop PvP scenarios, will kill it pretty quickly IMHO.

Eth

What's wrong with warfare PvP?  If you can get some good team together, then there's plenty of PvP action to be had.  I recall several games where some teammates and I spent HOURS finding and eliminating player controlled squads in warfare games.  

The beauty of ArmA is that it's incredibly easy to mod, so if someone really wants a "BF2" style sector control multiplayer mode, then it is easy enough to create one.

I gotta know...  Why do I hear people dropping phrases like, "More like BF2 or COD4."  What is this world coming to?!  Isn't that the last thing anyone true ArmA/OFP fan should hope for?

Simply put, some people feel the game should be changed to suit them. I dont feel it should be changed to suit them.

As you very correctly stated, Good PvP is easy to create via the editor.

I object to having the game changed "out of the box" to suit these people and would prefer they played something else as opposed to changing ArmA 2.

Eth

Are you retard or what?

Where are we saying to change the game?We only ask for some official PvP missions.

Your hate about PvP blinds you.Get a life. wink_o.gif

All the time you say go play BF2 or COD.I say stfu cause I play OFP since 2001 I spent many many hours on OFP and ArmA and are the only FPS I like to play.So plz stop telling me what to play.

And if you are so happy how ArmA is at the moment with the majority of coop servers stfu and go play.This topic is not for you.

Here we are PvP players that we ask from bis for some basic official PvP missions.If you want Coop go make your own topic.

Is that to hard to get it?For you I guess it is.

What's wrong with warfare PvP?  If you can get some good team together, then there's plenty of PvP action to be had.  I recall several games where some teammates and I spent HOURS finding and eliminating player controlled squads in warfare games.  

The beauty of ArmA is that it's incredibly easy to mod, so if someone really wants a "BF2" style sector control multiplayer mode, then it is easy enough to create one.

I gotta know...  Why do I hear people dropping phrases like, "More like BF2 or COD4."  What is this world coming to?!  Isn't that the last thing anyone true ArmA/OFP fan should hope for?

Simply put, some people feel the game should be changed to suit them. I dont feel it should be changed to suit them.

As you very correctly stated, Good PvP is easy to create via the editor.

I object to having the game changed "out of the box" to suit these people and would prefer they played something else as opposed to changing ArmA 2.

Eth

Are you retard or what?

Where are we saying to change the game?We only ask for some official PvP missions.

Your hate about PvP blinds you.Get a life. wink_o.gif

All the time you say go play BF2 or COD.I say stfu cause I play OFP since 2001 I spent many many hours on OFP and ArmA and are the only FPS I like to play.So plz stop telling me what to play.

And if you are so happy how ArmA is at the moment with the majority of coop servers stfu and go play.This topic is not for you.

Here we are PvP players that we ask from bis for some basic official PvP missions.If you want Coop go make your own topic.

Is that to hard to get it?For you I guess it is.

I rest my case. It's their way or the high way.

You need to relax with your personal attacks chief. You also need to stop telling me where I can post. This topic is of significance to me and YOU dont decide who posts where.

Simply because people dont agree with you, doesnt make them "retards"

I wont be replying to you anymore Ptolemaios.

Eth

Quote[/b] ]You PvP whiners always feel the need to tell us how much more thrilling etc PvP is. That's subjective.

I never told you the way you should play, surelly not as much as you tell us to share your opinion without going away to play another game.:crazy:

Quote[/b] ]Your opinion of what is wrong is not one that I share and I dont want the game changed to suit the likes of you.

And why should we continue on the strict way of COOPing in ArmAII just for players like you who only play on a little server with password ? wink_o.gif

By the way we already spoke about the question. ArmAII as an OFP-like, how could it bother you? You still haven't answered.

If you want to post on a forum, the first thing to do is read what people say before replying.

I don't know what you're doing here if it's to blablating uselessly on a topic conerning the Game balancement and pvp, where you seem to have nothing to say except the usual Pro COOper moaning.

Quote[/b] ]You PvP whiners always feel the need to tell us how much more thrilling etc PvP is. That's subjective.

I never told you the way you should play, surelly not as much as you tell us to share your opinion without going away to play another game.

Quote[/b] ]Your opinion of what is wrong is not one that I share and I dont want the game changed to suit the likes of you.

And why should we continue on the strict way of COOPing in ArmAII just for players like you who only play on a little server with password ?

By the way we already spoke about the question. ArmAII as an OFP-like, how could it bother you? You still haven't answered.

If you want to post on a forum, the first thing to do is read what people say before replying.

I don't know what you're doing here if it's to blablating uselessly on a topic conerning the Game balancement and pvp, where you seem to have nothing to say except the usual Pro COOper moaning.

How do you know what ArmA 2 is like?

You dont know anything about how it plays and neither do I. All we have is videos at the moment.

Ill say this, it looks an AWFUL lot like ArmA to me.

Guess you'll be disappointed - AGAIN

rofl.gif

Eth

PS : As with your friend Ptolemaios, you need to stop telling people what and where to post. My opinion is just as valid as yours.

Ok, it looks like that we have now a few different opinions about the subject "why is there so less PvP in ArmA?".

-CyDoN thinks its because of the lack of BIS made standard PvP missions.

-ethne thinks its because ArmA is not designed for it.

-Michael_Wittman thinks its because of the cheaters.

-Akira BAADAKKU thinks its because of the missing OFP players.

-I think its because of the unpolished movements and controls.

(sorry if i have someone misunderstood, but i think that were the main statements of you guys)

Its great to see some different views on ArmA about PvP.

I try now to find a common assumption which we all can accept and underline.

We all dont wanna have CoD, BF, CS controls, like bunnyhopping game-style.

We all enjoy the "realistic" game-style of OFP and ArmA.

We all love the modability of OFP and ArmA.

We all love the open scenario of OFP and ArmA.

We all enjoy to play OFP and ArmA together with nice people.

We all wanna see a nice polished ArmAII.

I hope everybody here can accept this 6 statements and see that we all wanna have the same actual.

And for those who are still thinking ArmAII cant please everyone, thats just totally normal, because everybody has a different taste.

However, OFP was able to please every game-mode and was made by BIS!

So why not ArmAII? wink_o.gif

Ok, it looks like that we have now a few different opinions about the subject "why is there so less PvP in ArmA?".

-CyDoN thinks its because of the lack of BIS made standard PvP missions.

-ethne thinks its because ArmA is not designed for it.

-Michael_Wittman thinks its because of the cheaters.

-Akira BAADAKKU thinks its because of the missing OFP players.

-I think its because of the unpolished movements and controls.

(sorry if i have someone misunderstood, but i think that were the main statements of you guys)

Its great to see some different views on ArmA about PvP.

I try now to find a common assumption which we all can accept and underline.

I hope everybody here can accept this 6 statements and see that we all wanna have the same actual.

And for those who are still thinking ArmAII cant please everyone, thats just totally normal, because everybody has a different taste.

However, OFP was able to please every game-mode and was made by BIS!

So why not ArmAII? wink_o.gif

Good post.

I respect your opinion.

You presented it in an intelligent way without resorting to name calling etc.

I should also quantify that the Arma/ArmA2 engine can be used for whatever people design.

I dont think the game design lends itself to traditional PvP and I do think the open ended design allows for endless exploiting/cheating.

I still maintain that ArmA 2 will not have a big (any) PvP following (not counting the first few months) and if Im wrong, Ill be happy to come here and admit it.

Regards,

Eth

I never told you the way you should play, surelly not as much as you tell us to share your opinion without going away to play another game.

And why should we continue on the strict way of COOPing in ArmAII just for players like you who only play on a little server with password ?

You dont know anything about how it plays and neither do I. All we have is videos at the moment.

rofl.gif

Eth

Do you know what the preterit tense of the "can" auxiliary means in that context ?

I guess not.

WHere did I say I exactly know how ArmAII is ? I suggested the way it should be, which is quite different.

Ethne, are you out of answer but so proud to show it, or are you some kind of troller ?

rofl.gif

Eth

Do you know what the preterit tense of the "can" auxiliary means in that context ?

I guess not.

WHere did I say I exactly know how ArmAII is ? I suggested the way it should be, which is quite different.

Ethne, are you out of answer but so proud to show it, or are you some kind of troller ?

Im not going to answer you anymore.

Im tired of your condescending tone.

Happy pwnage1111!!!111 rofl.gif

Eth

Frantic, I shared your opinion about the movement and control. wink_o.gif

The missing OFP players are the consequence of it.

Quote[/b] ]We all dont wanna have CoD, BF, CS controls, like bunnyhopping game-style.

How many times did I say this...It's exactly what I think!

Frantic you must have something magic in your words, you say what I think but you are able to convince pig-headed guys like ethne to finally agree with it.

Come one Frantic, give me your trick biggrin_o.gif

Frantic, I shared your opinion about the movement and control. wink_o.gif

The missing OFP players are the consequence of it.

Quote[/b] ]We all dont wanna have CoD, BF, CS controls, like bunnyhopping game-style.

How many times did I say this...It's exactly what I think!

Frantic you must have something magic in your words, you say what I think but you are able to convince pig-headed guys like ethne to finally agree with it.

Come one Frantic, give me your trick biggrin_o.gif

Seriously guy, stop with the personal attacks.

Thats why no one respects what you have to say! Because you are rude and have an inherent inability to present your points in a coherent and tactful manner.

Lets agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Eth

I am not going to answer you anymore

Im tired of your condescending tone.

Happy pwnage1111!!!111  rofl.gif

Eth

Although you stuborn, it's even hard to speak with you without you get on your shady character.  icon_rolleyes.gif

Nevermind...

------------------------------------------------------------

Back on the subject...

Let's wait May and see how ArmAII will looks like. thumbs-up.gif

I wont be replying to you anymore Ptolemaios.

Eth

You can post on-topic but from your first post you are off-topic and flaming all the time against PvPers.

You are not going to reply me?OWNED thumbs-up.gif

I respect your opinion.

You presented it in an intelligent way without resorting to name calling etc.

I should also quantify that the Arma/ArmA2 engine can be used for whatever people design.

I dont think the game design lends itself to traditional PvP and I do think the open ended design allows for endless exploiting/cheating.

I still maintain that ArmA 2 will not have a big (any) PvP following (not counting the first few months) and if Im wrong, Ill be happy to come here and admit it.

Regards,

Eth

Finally i found a way to convince you that i dont wanna harm ArmAII. smile_o.gif

I hope you understand now that it would be no danger for ArmAII to make the controls and movements more fluent.

I wanna enjoy every aspect of ArmAII.

And in the game you are the most time on foot and thats why i think that the controls and the resulting movements of it should be as good as possible.

As i posted already, BIS said somewhere that the animations will be more fluent in ArmAII and i guess not many can be upset about this.

Lets hope that the released ArmAII will be a great game and many people can have fun with it, even the OFP fans who prefers PvP game-modes. wink_o.gif

Back on topic please.

Ptolemaios there's no need for name calling next time you'll be pr'd.

I

Agree with that. xmas_o.gif

Why am I not surprised that this would become an "are not, are too" argument? The assumptions of some of the people that don't know much about pvp are staggeringly absurd, such as that only arcade style can make a good pvp game or that making a game more enjoyable for pvp gameplay automatically wrecks the coop/sp part.

How do better animations worsen your player vs AI experience?

How does a bigger and more diverse server list hurt your preferred game mode?

How does it affect you that someone on some other server plays deathmatch with rocket cars?

If you put your mind into it, it's not difficult to realize that the only big difference between pve and pvp is your opponent. The game stays the same and it's the game that we want to play. Player vs player is more sensitive to control flaws because a human is almost always smarter, faster and more agile than AI.

You have to be quicker than your opponent but it becomes more difficult and out of your hand when there are unstoppable and long animations and missing transition phases that mess with how your soldier should behave. You have the exact same effect when playing against an AI opponent but those bugs become less critical because time is not of the essence in a typical pve mission and your opponent is very static. You never have to move like in pvp. When you understand this, you understand that fluent animations are beneficial for the whole community and it's stupid to leave a flaw unfixed just because you can live with it.

Regarding the original topic, I disagree with the game needing more than a few showcase pvp missions. The community has the tools to make professional missions of all kinds and it's only a matter of time when the mission maker veterans get started with the mission and script editors. Being "official" has no meaning in this kind of game because Armed Assault has no levels, only an island where you choose a location and start placing objects and scripts. Some other games need official levels because there is no finished world to fight in, you have to build those levels from scratch down to the smallest detail every time. It takes more effort than any OFP/ArmA mission and that's why you have to leave it to the pros.

Why am I not surprised that this would become an "are not, are too" argument? The assumptions of some of the people that don't know much about pvp are staggeringly absurd, such as that only arcade style can make a good pvp game or that making a game more enjoyable for pvp gameplay automatically wrecks the coop/sp part.

How do better animations worsen your player vs AI experience?

How does a bigger and more diverse server list hurt your preferred game mode?

How does it affect you that someone on some other server plays deathmatch with rocket cars?

If you put your mind into it, it's not difficult to realize that the only big difference between pve and pvp is your opponent. The game stays the same and it's the game that we want to play. Player vs player is more sensitive to control flaws because a human is almost always smarter, faster and more agile than AI.

You have to be quicker than your opponent but it becomes more difficult and out of your hand when there are unstoppable and long animations and missing transition phases that mess with how your soldier should behave. You have the exact same effect when playing against an AI opponent but those bugs become less critical because time is not of the essence in a typical pve mission and your opponent is very static. You never have to move like in pvp. When you understand this, you understand that fluent animations are beneficial for the whole community and it's stupid to leave a flaw unfixed just because you can live with it.

Regarding the original topic, I disagree with the game needing more than a few showcase pvp missions. The community has the tools to make professional missions of all kinds and it's only a matter of time when the mission maker veterans get started with the mission and script editors. Being "official" has no meaning in this kind of game because Armed Assault has no levels, only an island where you choose a location and start placing objects and scripts. Some other games need official levels because there is no finished world to fight in, you have to build those levels from scratch down to the smallest detail every time. It takes more effort than any OFP/ArmA mission and that's why you have to leave it to the pros.

Again, you want the game changed to suit your playstyle.

Switching weapons takes time. To transition from your Rifle to your sidearm is NOT one fluid motion.

While I wouldn't characterize Arma's movement as perfect, it is certainly better than weapons instantaneously appearing in front of you a la "name your fave PvP game".

It's you and some of the others here who think ArmA's movements are flawed and I certainly don't want them replaced by some arcadey crap in the name of catering to the PvP crowd.

PvP DOES NOT hurt CooP, until things are changed in favor of PvP. Because the majority of the people who play ArmA are CooP players, it stands that BIS should cater to that demographic.

Im not saying "go play BF2" or whatever. Im saying, take the game as it is.

Better animations are good. But good is subjective. Your "better" might not be my "better". There are definitely some things that can be tweaked but I wouldn't want to see it drastically changed and it strikes me that some people here would.

OFP was great but the aiming and switching weapons were still a little fast. That may suit PvP very well and that may be why OFP was more appealing to the PvP crowd. ArmA took strides to make the game a bit more realistic and I feel that reverting to the OFP system would be a step backward.

I can't stress it enough, I dont want to deprive anyone of their PvP experience. Conversely, I dont want to see the game changed to suit PvPers.

Ultimately, it wont happen as ArmA's fanbase remains primarily CooP.

Regards,

Eth

Switching weapons takes time. To transition from your Rifle to your sidearm is NOT one fluid motion.

While I wouldn't characterize Arma's movement as perfect, it is certainly better than weapons instantaneously appearing in front of you a la "name your fave PvP game".

It's you and some of the others here who think ArmA's movements are flawed and I certainly don't want them replaced by some arcadey crap in the name of catering to the PvP crowd.

PvP DOES NOT hurt CooP, until things are changed in favor of PvP. Because the majority of the people who play ArmA are CooP players, it stands that BIS should cater to that demographic.

Better animations are good. But good is subjective. Your "better" might not be my "better". There are definitely some things that can be tweaked but I wouldn't want to see it drastically changed and it strikes me that some people here would.

OFP was great but the aiming and switching weapons were still a little fast. That may suit PvP very well and that may be why OFP was more appealing to the PvP crowd. ArmA took strides to make the game a bit more realistic and I feel that reverting to the OFP system would be a step backward.

I can't stress it enough, I dont want to deprive anyone of their PvP experience. Conversely, I dont want to see the game changed to suit PvPers.

Regards,

Eth

You clearly see text that I have never written so it's very difficult to have a meaningful conversation.

I haven't said anything about weapon switching. Try sprinting and then stop suddenly. Sprint diagonally right from the start. Try sprinting and going prone as fast as you can so you don't get shot. Throw a grenade in a kneeling position and especially when armed with a handgun. Those are the kinds of animations (or the lack of them) that are detrimental to the game.

I haven't said that I want arcade. I specifically said "The assumptions of some of the people that don't know much about pvp are staggeringly absurd, such as that only arcade style can make a good pvp game" but I take it that you didn't read it.

I have no idea what your idea about "suiting the game for a playstyle" is. Is it impossible to think that some improvements make the game more suitable for all game modes instead of making one better at the expense of others? Where do you see the windmills and exactly how big are they? You might want to look up the term "straw man argument".

Regards,

Eth

You clearly see text that I have never written so it's very difficult to have a meaningful conversation.

I haven't said anything about weapon switching. Try sprinting and then stop suddenly. Sprint diagonally right from the start. Try sprinting and going prone as fast as you can so you don't get shot. Throw a grenade in a kneeling position and especially when armed with a handgun. Those are the kinds of animations (or the lack of them) that are detrimental to the game.

I haven't said that I want arcade. I specifically said "The assumptions of some of the people that don't know much about pvp are staggeringly absurd, such as that only arcade style can make a good pvp game" but I take it that you didn't read it.

I have no idea what your idea about "suiting the game for a playstyle" is. Is it impossible to think that some improvements make the game more suitable for all game modes instead of making one better at the expense of others? Where do you see the windmills and exactly how big are they? You might want to look up the term "straw man argument".

Again, I dont have the problems with movement that you seem to have.

"Playstyle" is self explanatory.

I read your post from start to finish.

What I got was the usual condescending "You dont know much about PvP" attitude that I am used to from PvP players.

I used to PvP more than anything else. It has been ruined by cheats and "ub3r l33t I pwn j00ers".

Finally, keep it on topic and lose the sarcasm.

Eth

PS : I apologize for grouping you with the "weapon handling sucks" crowd. You did not reference that.

Again, I dont have the problems with movement that you seem to have.

And during these 10 minutes between my post and yours you went to the editor and did the things I pointed out?

"Playstyle" is self explanatory.

No it's not.

I read your post from start to finish.

Then why do you have false assumptions of what I want when I clearly said what I want?

What I got was the usual condescending "You dont know much about PvP" attitude that I am used to from PvP players.

Maybe it's because judging from your posts you don't know much about pvp or the people who play it in OFP and ArmA. It also condescending to ignore everything they tell you and to think that you know better what kind of game they want. Then you dig into your defensive position and start talking about things that nobody except yourself brought up.

I used to PvP more than anything else. It has been ruined by cheats and "ub3r l33t I pwn j00ers".

Did you do it in OFP or ArmA?

Finally, keep it on topic and lose the sarcasm.

Might I remind you that you weren't on topic to begin with? The topic is about official pvp missions.

Quote[/b] ]And during these 10 minutes between my post and yours you went to the editor and did the things I pointed out?

I dont have problems with the movement. I dont know how to make that any clearer to you

Quote[/b] ]No it's not.

Yes it is.

Quote[/b] ]Then why do you have false assumptions of what I want when I clearly said what I want?

I apologized for the one false assumption I made.

Quote[/b] ]Maybe it's because judging from your posts you don't know much about pvp or the people who play it in OFP and ArmA. It also condescending to ignore everything they tell you and to think that you know better what kind of game they want. Then you dig into your defensive position and start talking about things that nobody except yourself brought up.

I dont care what kind of game you or they want. I only care that ArmA/ArmA 2 are not changed to be more PvP friendly at the expense of the main fanbase.

Quote[/b] ]Did you do it in OFP or ArmA?

I was playing OFP and designing missions from the day it was released. The group I play with were entirely PvP in the beginning.

Quote[/b] ]Might I remind you that you weren't on topic to begin with? The topic is about official pvp missions.

Might I remind YOU that I am discussing the topic (as much as you might not like what I have to say) and you are making snidey comments about windmills. Try to differentiate.

Regards,

Eth

Hi all

The idea that PvP means short range, urban environments is a "Strawman" argument.

The oldest form of PvP was that which was developed with the corridor/shoebox shooters: Doom, Duke Nukem, Quake, Unreal, and COD4.

Then came the modded forms that came with CS and others and that led, after OFP's release, to BF and on to the other modded versions of the preceding games.

The Original OFP developed by BIS was different.

No invisible walls no enormous landscape.

No prison for your mind. No limits on what you could do.

The key here is that OFP1, ArmA and ArmAII can do all the other games can do but none of those games can do all that the Real Virtuality engine can do.

There are lots of forms of PvP. I play large scale PvP Coops; Warfare, Berzerk and a thousand other player made forms, that are so popular prove that there is no singel form of PvP.

BIG WAR! is comming! Massive Multiplayer War where even warfare is dwarfed.

So PvP fans will have an even bigger experience.

Kind Regards walker

Quote[/b] ]And during these 10 minutes between my post and yours you went to the editor and did the things I pointed out?

I dont have problems with the movement. I dont know how to make that any clearer to you

Quote[/b] ]No it's not.

Yes it is.

Quote[/b] ]Then why do you have false assumptions of what I want when I clearly said what I want?

I apologized for the one false assumption I made.

Quote[/b] ]Maybe it's because judging from your posts you don't know much about pvp or the people who play it in OFP and ArmA. It also condescending to ignore everything they tell you and to think that you know better what kind of game they want. Then you dig into your defensive position and start talking about things that nobody except yourself brought up.

I dont care what kind of game you or they want. I only care that ArmA/ArmA 2 are not changed to be more PvP friendly at the expense of the main fanbase.

Quote[/b] ]Did you do it in OFP or ArmA?

I was playing OFP and designing missions from the day it was released. The group I play with were entirely PvP in the beginning.

Quote[/b] ]Might I remind you that you weren't on topic to begin with? The topic is about official pvp missions.

Might I remind YOU that I am discussing the topic (as much as you might not like what I have to say) and you are making snidey comments about windmills. Try to differentiate.

Regards,

Eth

If you dont care about PvP in ArmA2 or what we want GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE.Stop being off-topic,spamming,flaming,trolling and abusing the thread.

WE DONT WANT OFP,ARMA,ARMA2 to change gameplay.

WE LOVE OFP,ARMA as it is.

WE JUST WANT SOME BASIC PVP MAPS FROM BIS.

Your beloved ArmA bots are smarter than you.