Sign in to follow this  
The-Architect

Maximum Frame Rate?

No matter what I do I can't get over 30 FPS.

I tried zooming into a white space on the map and 60 is the maximum. I tried on many different settings.

Is there a maximum frame rate? My game doesn't play really really slowly.

It sounds like you might have Vsync enabled. You should confirm that in your graphics card driver settings (Forceware (or whatever Nvidia's program is called) or Catalyst Control Centre).

Vsync will allow the game to only run at factors of your monitor's refresh rate. So, from a maximum of 60hz, anything less than that, even 59hz, will be rounded down to 30hz, then 15hz, etc. This is to prevent frames being displayed half rendered, which may lead to tearing at low fps.

anything less than that, even 59hz, will be rounded down to 30hz

But isn't the "hz" set in the arma.cfg ?

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

Resolution_W=1920;

Resolution_H=1080;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

refresh=60; <---

The-Architect, can you take a look in your arma.cfg which hz value you have there.

MfG Lee

Yeah refresh is set to 60 and in the NVidia Control panel Vsync is on.

What should I change it to in the config?

@the-Architect

Disable vertical refresh in your driver settings and you should be good to go.

anything less than that, even 59hz, will be rounded down to 30hz

But isn't the "hz" set in the arma.cfg ?

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

Resolution_W=1920;

Resolution_H=1080;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

refresh=60; <---

The-Architect, can you take a look in your arma.cfg which hz value you have there.

MfG Lee

You can choose what refresh rate to use with your monitor in ArmA.  That is a monitor setting and doesn't have anything to do with vertical sync.  Without vsync enabled, that number is only a monitor setting and has nothing to do with the frames rate of Arma.

That value can be fiddled with in the arma display options.  What that value should be is heavily dependent on your resolution settings.  I would recommend setting it as high as your monitor supports in the ArmA settings dialogue.  I would NOT fiddle with it manually.

Refresh is somewhat of a misnomer with LCD monitors anyways, and has very little impact on your visual experience as opposed to CRT monitors.  LCD monitors are always lit with a back light, and usually have a response time that is much greater than 60 hz anyways.  CRTs use an electron beam to draw the screen one pixel at a time, line by line, and a low refresh rate can lead to an experience of strobing and eye strain for some people.

I know about all that.

But when he has vsync enabled and "refresh=59;" in his arma.cfg that could be a reason why he has max. 30 FPS

59hz = max. 30fps in ArmA ?!

Disable vsync can produce tearing which looks horror, so I have vsync enabled all the time.

MfG Lee wink_o.gif

I know about all that.

But when he has vsync enabled and "refresh=59;" in his arma.cfg that could be a reason why he has max. 30 FPS

59hz = max. 30fps in ArmA ?!

Disable vsync can produce tearing which looks horror, so I have vsync enabled all the time.

MfG Lee wink_o.gif

That number is set by ArmA, and the selection is limited by what the monitor is capable of doing. If that number was 59 in his config, the monitor would be spazzing out, and the videocards would be trying to match 59 hz. Refresh rate is a monitor setting, and vsync tries to match the monitor setting. If his computer was capable of displaying ArmA at 59 hz, and he had that setting at 59, with vsync on his frames would never leave 59 hz.

The problem he is experiencing is that his computer is not fast enough to display ArmA at 60hz consistently, so he's getting 30 instead with vsync on. Tearing should only be a consideration with very low frame rates.

Seems my monitor can only go as high as 60Hz.

May need to re-invest.  sad_o.gif

60hz is fine, if your "monitor" is an lcd.

My 37" LCD TV I'm playing on also can "only" 60fps.

Your 30fps problem has another reason I think.

Let's start with your graphics card, is it an ATI or NVidia?

And next, what graphics driver version are you using?

MfG Lee

Seems my monitor can only go as high as 60Hz.

May need to re-invest.  sad_o.gif

At high resolutions this is normal. Mine can only do 60hz at wide screen resolutions too. You may be able to get higher refresh rates at lower resolutions. If you have an lcd screen, refresh rate only matters as a limit for frames with vertical sync enabled. Did you disable vsync? Did it have any effect on the number of rendered frames per second?

As far as I know, most people are unable to tell the difference between frame rates above 30 FPS. Are there any particular issues with the game that are associated with this, or are you just curious as to why it maxes out at 30?

No, I messed up in my previous post. It maxes out in game at 30.

In the editor, zoomed right in it's 60.

I amended my first post.

No, I messed up in my previous post. It maxes out in game at 30.

In the editor, zoomed right in it's 60.

I amended my first post.

Have you disabled vsync?

If that didn't help, you should give us more information on your rig configuration. It's weird that didn't help... being stuck at 60hz and at 30hz really sounds like a sync issue... if something else was responsible for low frame rates chances are it would be some other numbers.

There's a thread in the trouble shooting forum about how to post your stats. I think they recommend using a program called cpuz. I use one called everest, but I think it would be the easiest way to identify your stats if you don't know them off of the top of your head.

As far as I know, most people are unable to tell the difference between frame rates above 30 FPS. Are there any particular issues with the game that are associated with this, or are you just curious as to why it maxes out at 30?

Eveytime I see this posted I laugh, it's probably because most people dont know what to look for. I can easily see the skip between frames at 30 FPS, it's terrible to play at when comparing to a constant 60 FPS (especially with fast movements on the screen)

No matter what I do I can't get over 30 FPS.

I tried zooming into a white space on the map and 60 is the maximum. I tried on many different settings.

Is there a maximum frame rate? My game doesn't play really really slowly.

We really need to know what vid card are you using, what resolution, what viewdistance are you using and what's your processor?

Me, I have 6 computers with various configerations but all use an 8800gt 512 or 1 gig ram vid card and a view distance of 3500-4000m @ 1680X1050 resolution playing evo min 24 max 60 fps on a dedicated lan.

Try turning down your view distance and resolution and see if that makes a difference.

Quote[/b] ]Eveytime I see this posted I laugh, it's probably because most people dont know what to look for. I can easily see the skip between frames at 30 FPS, it's terrible to play at when comparing to a constant 60 FPS (especially with fast movements on the screen)

Absolutely true and I was about to post that. For some people 30fps is borderline nauseating. Of course, that depends on the game you're playing too. I've found that a "decent" frame rate is very important in ArmA because of all the motion and all the real estate that you're scanning for Opfor.

I record many of my gaming sessions in Fraps for movie making/editing later and when I turn it on, frames drop to 30 fps. Trust me, it's easy to tell the difference between 30 fps and much higher frame rates.

The OP's problem definitely sounds like "vsync". He'll get 60 in all places where his card can do better than 60 and...I guess...30 when his card can't do 60.

I forget the specifics but it isn't it true that you CAN'T turn off vsync with Nvidia in games that don't have a vsync option unless you use nHancer? That's what I was "told" and found it to be true. I use nHancer in those situations and it works great.

If his vsync is truly OFF, he should be able to get >60fps when looking straight up. If not, I would suspect that vsync is still on.

And don't worry about your LCD's 60hz refresh rate - it's an LCD not a CRT.

Have you tried enabling triple buffering ?

You may have to download RivaTuner.

Without it, the FPS will be exactly half of your screen's refresh rate when it drops below (with vsync).

Sorry to post in this thread but i have the same problem with XP and Vista.

I changed the viewdistance = no performance increase

I changed the AA an AF settings = no performance increase

AMD X2 4200

2 GB RAM

ATI 4850

Drivers and XP/Vista are new.

Sorry to post in this thread but i have the same problem with XP and Vista.

I changed the viewdistance = no performance increase

I changed the AA an AF settings = no performance increase

AMD X2 4200

2 GB RAM

ATI 4850

Drivers and XP/Vista are new.

Same issues. The video settings does NOT affect my FPS at all, still seems that i get a lot less performance out of my new vid card that i should able to.

Current specs:

e6600 2.4ghz (was OCed @ 3, though that might have smth to do with it...but no)

GTX260 216cores 896MBs on 181.22 (same performance as the before)

4GB Corsair 800Mhz

Win XP64 SP2

Now, since i have been an ATI user until recently (my last nvidia was a 6600GT, followed by the x850 and the 1950XTX), that might have smth to do with the nvidia CP settings.

I have vSynk OFF, but that is about it.

I did download and messed a bit with the settings using rivatunner (i used to use ATT for my ATI card) as well as nHancer, seems there is no improvement.

Since i had about 30-40FPS on medium settings on my former card, but now i have 45 maybe, all the way down to 20, no matter what video settings i use, you might feel my pain wink_o.gif

Any tips (especially from 200series users) are most welcome.