Sign in to follow this  
LtCmdrBoon

SLI mode unplayable

Hi,

Every other frame is white (or so it seems, it might be 2 normal 2 white).

In none SLI mode i only getting 20-30fps in dense areas of town and trees, so SLI is a must, i dont just want playable over the desert!

In SLI mode, Fraps is showing 60+ almost contant, so i know its working, just fupduck.

Something is really messed up when i can knock out 60 fps on GTA4 in max settings, but 20 in ArmA.

specs go like this

9800gx2 @3.8

Q9450

8GB RAM

Vista 64

the rest dont matter.

Everything is patched up, SP1 + updates

Nvidia is 181.00 (the patch which made GTA4 perfect).

Arma is 1.15 (was hoping the beta wud fix this issue)

what i've tried:

disabling SLI : works but crappy frames as stated

single/dual screens : no difference (other than lost a monitor)

force Vsync On/Off/Nvidia Defalt : no diff

gone thru res settings in Arma : no diff

SLI Mode changing split/alternate frames : no diff

I've not played this game for months since the SLI driver i need for other games makes arma not work - i had hoped 1.15 wud fix this.

the rest of my system is trouble free with 10 or so games i have all working way better than average.

Try to delete the ArmA.cfg file in C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\ArmA  Don't worry when you start the game it will create a new one.I don't have sli,but I have ArmA installed a loong time ago and it was running terrible and when I did that it started running a loot more smooth and less choppy.Also you can try forcing "Threaded optimization" "OFF" in the nVidia CP(I heard ArmA has problems with quad core).Good luck!

LtCmdrBoon, what kind of generic specifications do you give us ?. Also using 2 9800 GX2's is QUAD-SLI not SLI. Next time use CPU-Z and report what it states along with GPU-Z.

although its most likely the nvidia drivers are to blame, you could try nhancer.

http://www.nhancer.com/

You get loads of options with the program, and perhaps with changed settings the sli-problem could be fixed.

Besides, with tweaking you may get better fps.

I'll add my name to the list for SLI being broken with the 180.xx drivers. Flashing like crazy. Forced Split Frame Rendering got rid of the flash, but it's choppier than single GPU mode.

Hope BI is talking with Nvidia to get this problem sorted quickly.

I agree, this is quite annoying. I know BIS are probably busy with the patch and other things but after 2-3WHQL drivers and several Beta Drivers, nVidia seem to be not listening to bug reports etc from users. Maybe if Suma or one of the other BIS team could get on to them to see if it can be fixed that would be great. My only fear is that because Arma does not officially support SLI (eg, it does not say SLI support on the box) they might not really feel the need to. But I hope for the community, if they had the time, we would really appreciate it.

Hm, not sure, but at least "SLI Visual Indicator" shows that SLI is rock'n'rolling now.

I updated to the newest driver 181.22 and changed "SLI Performance Mode" to "Force-split-frame-rendering" in Arma profile...and now, like mentioned, seems that SLI mode is working.

My specs:

Vista 64bit SP1

Core2Duo E6850

8GB RAM

2x8800 GT

EDIT: Bollocks! I don't see any difference really, whether single GPU or SLI...could it be that SLI is not working?

Yes, SFR "works" (and always has done) but not nearly as well as with AFR2, In fact if I get get worse FPS with SFR than single gpu.

Make a quick mission in the editor (I find the logging yard area beside Bangano to be good due to all the trees) and test it out with Fraps. If you switch it to Nvidia recommended and just ignore the flashing you will see that you get a lot more fps with AFR2 than single or SFR. We need AFR working again.

thanks for the help guys regards 181.20

I can confirm on my setup that AFR1 DOES now work. As long as I don't max out PP, I am looking at 40-60fps while I walked through corozal. Every other setting was high (not highest). SFR also worked, but my frames were than 20-30fps max and so I will stick to AFR1:ARMA

thx again