Sign in to follow this  
Zetah

Armed Assault Loading Time Problems

For some time now I've been having a problem while running ArmA. It takes ages to load, not seriously ages but over a minute for it to start up. Once I'm in a mission and I pause the menu it takes around 40 secs for the menu to pop up, gear loadout menu takes longer, and then exiting the gear loadout menu also. Pretty much this is the only time when It does this. I don't know why, I'd like help though. I've played it on this laptop before without these problems present, I don't know why they are giving  me problems now. Videocard is 8600m(shitty) but I can run ArmA at medium settings. Done it before. I've tried searching and I can't find any topics. Bought VBS2 some time ago, it did the same thing to me, except that sometimes it will just flatout not start, so pretty much it's a 2 out of 30 chance that I can get VBS2 started, so might as well have thrown $500 down the toilet. Anyhow, my problem as of right now is with ArmA, why is it doing this? How can I fix it?

oh yeah Re-install is not an option, I'm on leave right now in Texas, my copy of ArmA is in Fort Drum, New York right now.

It's not my laptop but screw it, specs.

CPU(NO IDEA how to get that)

Nvidia GeForce 8600m GS

Sound Card(Again no idea, It's integrated)

RAM(3070 mb) I think that's what that is.

ArmA English 15 beta

DirectX10

Yes, the CPU is slow as ArmA only uses one core. Hence your playing with 2Ghz Processor and a 8600M GS. To be honest its a weak system for playing ArmA on, sorry if its not what you wanted to hear.

Yes, the CPU is slow as ArmA only uses one core. Hence your playing with 2Ghz Processor and a 8600M GS. To be honest its a weak system for playing ArmA on, sorry if its not what you wanted to hear.

Uh I know, that's why I said it was a shitty laptop. However here I go repeating myself, I've played it before on this same laptop on medium settings with a more than decent outcome. Now though, it doesn't matter what settings I have, it will give me the insane load times, I've tried it on lowest of the low and it still does it. You had me waiting all day for hopefully a reply that could help and then you pretty much tell me what I already know, this isn't a "Show you my rig" topic, never in my right mind would I bring these specs to that sort of table confused_o.gif

To elaborate: The Problem are the Load Times, has nothing to do with my specs, except maybe like cpu usage or something I have no clue about.

When have you defragmented your hard drive the last time? Also, having low disk space on the system drive (or where the pagefile is kept) and/or your ArmA drive could cause issues with heavy fragmentation, it's something Windows seems to like to do.

actually a moment ago. I have yet to start up ArmA again though, i'll give it a whirl

damnit, no success. Timed the load delay for the pause menu ingame though, 35 seconds. Slowest 35 seconds of my life.

I've actually played Arma on worse, patches ago too when Arma wasnt optimized like it is now.

I have heard of this pause before but never experienced it.

From your pic I can see your running Vista and several background programs.In particular Norton360 and such.

I dont believe you can close Norton360 while you play and it may be really taking a hit on your performace.(I dont recommend Norton360 for a virus program)

Hard to say what settings you have, their is surely some things you could do with your Vista to speed things up a bit.

Defrag hdd,turn off indexing,change power settings to HomePC rather than laptop while you play, etc...

If I spot a help chart I will post it.Others maybe have better tips

appreciate the help. Yeah I've been meaning to get AVG(sp), just you know...procrastinator.