Sign in to follow this  
bravo 6

Safwan

Safwan is a sunni town in southeast Iraq on the border with Kuwait. It was the site of an Iraqi Air Force base.

It is located along the infamous Highway of Death from the Persian Gulf War of 1991.

The cease-fire negotiations between Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf and the Iraqi delegation led by Lt Gen Sultan Hashim Ahmad took place in Safwan. Schwarzkopf's demand to hold the formal cease-fire negotiations in Iraqi territory led to the encounter between the Col. Anthony Moreno's 2nd Brigade of the US 1st Infantry Division (Mechanized) and the Iraqi Republican Guard, known in military circles as The Ultimatum.

"highway of death" The Highway of Death refers to a road between Kuwait and Basra on which retreating units of the Iraqi army were attacked and destroyed by American aircraft and ground forces during the United Nations Coalition offensive in the Gulf War, on the night of February 26-February 27, 1991, resulting in the destruction of hundreds of vehicles and the deaths of an unknown and disputed number of Iraqi soldiers and civilians. The scenes of carnage on the road are some of the most recognisable images of the war. According to Elaine Sciolino of the New York TImes, the images suggested a turkey shoot and contributed to the war's resolution soon afterwards

Other Info:

Latitude 30.1131 Longitude 47.7194 Altitude (feet) 49

Lat (DMS) 30° 6' 47N Long (DMS) 47° 43' 10E Altitude (meters) 14

Terrain size is set to 20480x20480 with 40x40 meters value set in Texture Layers.

Safwan Visitor (1600x1200)  ,  Safwan WikiMapia

Note: The following images were taken in 10000m View Distance, sorry for the crappy result. (i know i need a new machine)

safwan01_s.jpgsafwan02_s.jpg

1600x1200                                                                         1600x1200

safwan03_s.jpgsafwan04_s.jpg

1600x1200                                                                         1600x1200

safwan05_s.jpgsafwan06_s.jpg

1600x1200                                                                         1600x1200

Any additional, historic information about Safwan is appreciated.

ps- The map is in a very early Work in Progress.

edit: Thank for extra Information and videos:

CptMitchell[172nd]: www.armaholic.com thread

That's a cool concept man, some big ass desert terrain like this should provide very interesting armored combat.

I'm guessing you don't have the edges filled out due to Google Earth not having full high-res coverage of the area you need, could be fixed by clone stamping the surrounding areas.

Keep it up!

beautiful stuff. What happened to Al Amiriya. Is that still coming out too?

I second that!

What a nice island, can't get enough of desert in ArmA.

Boa sorte wink_o.gif

beautiful stuff. What happened to Al Amiriya. Is that still coming out too?

I second that!

Offtopic: Al Amiriya is alive and in progress... And yes Al Amiriya will be out someday.

I must say i thought to transform Al Amiriya from 1024x1024 map into a 2048x2048 map. But it will remain 1024 because alot was already placed.

Lets keep each project to each thread, please.

I would like to add some extra and useful information to the project:

Quote[/b] ]Iv been to safwan in the british army, there is a huge hill dominating the town with a UN post on top, (where iraq surrendered to the US in 1991) , its called Safwan hill and was used in gulf war II for army communications

This info appeared on a comment in armedassault.info and I hope people can share useful informations like these about the specific area.

Looking nice! As others said we just can't get enough desert for ArmA. Just can't stop loving that kind of environment. Good visibility but difficult approach and sparse cover smile_o.gif

Bravo 6, in the middle picture on the left, I see what appears to be elevated roads. Do you think they'll stay?

The reason I ask is because 29 Palms has elevated roads in areas (alpha version) and they are totally awesome to run convoys on, hide behind or wage war from.

smile_o.gif

Bravo 6, I have a question about all your maps.

I see that your creating a couple maps. Im just wondering if the maps your making are going to be released by you or are they going to be released by ACE? Just asking because you have an ACE signature.

Also I wanted to add that all your maps look great! Really nice WIP photos.

I'm guessing you don't have the edges filled out due to Google Earth not having full high-res coverage of the area you need, could be fixed by clone stamping the surrounding areas.

yes i have in mind to make it more natural.

Bravo 6, in the middle picture on the left, I see what appears to be elevated roads. Do you think they'll stay?

The reason I ask is because 29 Palms has elevated roads in areas (alpha version) and they are totally awesome to run convoys on, hide behind or wage war from.

yup i also think the same, i intend to do it.

But if someone prove with pics the area not have i won't use them.

The idea is to be something like this:

Iraq_roads01.jpg

If someone wants to post or mp me with real pics of the area, ill be very appreciated and it will help alot to turn it as realistic as possible.

Im just wondering if the maps your making are going to be released by you or are they going to be released by ACE?  Just asking because you have an ACE signature.

All my maps are meant to be for an Iraqi theme environment. IMWM was the only Iraqi mod at that time. Then i was told IMWM became a part of ACE so i thought they well fit in ACE addons. Though every map i started suffered significant changes and i believe they will not be ready before an official ACE mod.

I think its fair for everyone if i release them.

You probably already know this Bravo, but in case you don't, check the Geographic web box in the sidebar and you get lots of pics from Panoramio.

58299305ye0.jpg

It's great, I look at these pics all the time as it gives good inspiration even though they might not cover the area I'm focusing on.

-edit-

You can also try conducting searches on:

http://pro.corbis.com/

http://www.gettyimages.com/

http://picasa.google.com/

http://photobucket.com/

Google images suck to be quite frank.

Thanks, pro.corbis.com have some nice pictures smile_o.gif

I might receive an email with more helpful pictures.

Is it my impression or Safwan does not have palmtrees? confused_o.gif

Palm groves tend to grow closer to river banks on the Euphrates/Tigris, but I'm sure there's not a 100 % absences of palms in this region. It would be nice to have a proper vegetation map covering all the species in Iraq, I've been looking for that a little, but haven't seen anything useful yet.

can someone confirm if the following video match the exact location?

Safwan_montain_s.jpg

bigger

I must say i still have to work alittle bit on the big mountain near the airfield wink_o.gif

edit: typo

a small idea of the wip on Safwan hill near the airfield.

safwan08_s.jpgsafwan09_s.jpg

If you look at the thumbnails really quick they look like actual photos, hehe. Superb! I can tell already that there will be many a night of pure fun on that map. thumbs-up.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Wow...that looks amazing. I love the valley that you made.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

In RL apparently there are alot of small villages around the large area, you can confirm in google earth or so. Ill try to simulate them as best as i can, but at the moment im personalizing some bridges along the highways.

Ill post pictures of them soon

edit:

safwan10_s.jpgsafwan11_s.jpg

safwan12_s.jpgsafwan13_s.jpg

Note: there are some visible issues/bugs in the pics that i will solve them with time.

Excellent work mate, i really like the look of this. thanks for the work smile_o.gif

smile_o.gif I've been a silent supporter of your work so far. I just wanted to pop in and say that highway off ramps are typically one lane, as there would be a lot of accidents if it were three lanes. Other than that, it's looking pretty darn good!

Abs

This looks like an Iraqi map I've worked on years ago for KumaWar... love the "ambush" bridges. I see we'll do more PMC missions on this baby smile_o.gif

I just wanted to pop in and say that highway off ramps are typically one lane, as there would be a lot of accidents if it were three lanes.

What exactly do you mean?

Can you elaborate?  smile_o.gif

edit: ok, i think i understand now what you meant. Yes im also working on that aswell. Not exactly sure how im going to do this to simulate RL roads but time will come. I have in mind to create another road part to make that possible.