Sign in to follow this  
hypno toad

New voice system...

I assume that this won't be read by anybody actually working on the game, but it's worth a shot.. From the gameplay I have seen in ArmA2, they still have those robotic voices.

Rather than having a bunch of different single words recorded, it would be good to see a more limited, general set of quality voice acting.

Maybe rather than have 5-6 separate words played together, have 2.

So, in ArmA it sounds like "enemy.man.at.200.meters"

Perhaps, in arma 2, just have 2 words, like:

"There's an enemy man at about... 200 meters"

or  

"There's an enemy light vehicle at about... 500 meters"

That way it sounds a bit more smooth, casual, and human like, and not like a robot.

It was mentionned somewhere (can't find the source yet) that the voices used in the previews were not final yet (something like "don't complain yet, these are not final" ).

I don't know how much improved the system will be, but they said they would make less robotic voices.

I assume that this won't be read by anybody actually working on the game, but it's worth a shot.. From the gameplay I have seen in ArmA2, they still have those robotic voices.

Rather than having a bunch of different single words recorded, it would be good to see a more limited, general set of quality voice acting.

Maybe rather than have 5-6 separate words played together, have 2.

So, in ArmA it sounds like "enemy.man.at.200.meters"

Perhaps, in arma 2, just have 2 words, like:

"There's an enemy man at about... 200 meters"

or  

"There's an enemy light vehicle at about... 500 meters"

That way it sounds a bit more smooth, casual, and human like, and not like a robot.

That would become

Quote[/b] ]"There's an... enemy... man at about... 200 meters"

After all, 'enemy', 'man' and '200 meters' are interchangable for each sentence, otherwise they would have to record too much probably. wink_o.gif

I don't know how they did it but I think that the phrases that the actors said don't sound enough like each other. Like when one of them says, "Contact!", he says it like "conTAAAAACT!" which makes it sound very out of place with the rest of the dialogue. That's one example that sticks out of a bunch of more subtle ones where the phrases don't sit well next to each other. If they could get the actors to say the whole phrases, then chop them up. Maybe they could get the actors to anticipate the pauses and try to work it into their performance. Maybe it could sound like a person reading off of a list- or going through a report procedure- rather than a machine reading off of a list. I don't really know, though.

I like how OFP done it. Sound much better.

OFP: ( it think, dont play much nowadays)

12 o'Clock... Man... 200

ARMA:

12 o'Clock... Man... At 200 meters

I think the OFP version was much simpler and easy on the ears, without the "At" and "Meters". And AFAIK, the realistic one is OFP as far as pointing out target is concern

my 2cents worth

I'm just mentioning this because, well, console gamers are stupid and shallow. Don't hate me for saying that, we all know it. And not very many will buy or like it if the voices are still robotic.

Arma wouldn't be arma without the amusing robot voices.

In Arma I did miss the real southern voice from OFP though.  The one who was all like "Naaaaaaane Targit Snapper". Please being him back for Arma 2 wink_o.gif

In Arma I did miss the real southern voice from OFP though.  The one who was all like "Naaaaaaane Targit Snapper".  Please being him back for Arma 2 wink_o.gif

I agree! I also liked the Russian voices.

In Arma I did miss the real southern voice from OFP though. The one who was all like "Naaaaaaane Targit Snapper". Please being him back for Arma 2 wink_o.gif

I agree as well.

Oh and as for the, "they'd have to record a lot" opinion... all they need to do is grab a few beers, sit down with a microphone for one day and just go down the list. smile_o.gif

ACE has ported the Russian Voices by Timamas.

In Arma I did miss the real southern voice from OFP though.  The one who was all like "Naaaaaaane Targit Snapper".  Please being him back for Arma 2 wink_o.gif

I agree as well.

Oh and as for the, "they'd have to record a lot" opinion... all they need to do is grab a few beers, sit down with a microphone for one day and just go down the list.  smile_o.gif

i work with audio technicians often to record scripts etc. It would be quite a bit of work but nowhere near overwhelming. and any audio technician that knows what he is doing could ensure these voices flow on well when activated in sequence. it's 2009 not 2001 anymore.

i'd like to hear, enemy spotted near group of tree to the north.

enemy's taken cover behind building to the south. about 200m away.

enemy squad on hill to the north.

with added dynamic voices that add color to the situation.

Quote[/b] ]I like how OFP done it. Sound much better.

OFP: ( it think, dont play much nowadays)

12 o'Clock... Man... 200

ARMA:

12 o'Clock... Man... At 200 meters

I think the OFP version was much simpler and easy on the ears, without the "At" and "Meters". And AFAIK, the realistic one is OFP as far as pointing out target is concern

I must agree!And it takes too much time even with arma system when there is lots of targets to report.You should take into account that you can't give any orders before reporting is over!