sickboy

A.C.E. Advanced Combat Environment Public Release!

The special forces look all the same too, like they got diffrent camo but are all the same like no option to chose heavey i know the johnys SP come with heavey and light but there all light? Is there an way to make it to where i could put the Johnys SP in the Addon of the ACE folder and get it to work? Iv tryed but could not get it to work they dont show up in game. Also just noticed that the ACE US Army Automatic Riflemen has two back packs on him witch look crazy, its just to many back packs add to the units in this mod.

Lots of good things in ACE MOD. I rather enjoy it.

However, the AI are a wee bit annoying in how they waste ammo shooting at disabled infantry. I don't know if it's the new AI Suppression Scripting or what... but they'll fire off all of there ammo trying to kill 1 downed rifleman. Their aim is terrible and they waste huge loads of ammo finishing off targets this way.

Id rather NOT play without ACE...

There are some bugs that im sure is beeing smashed

as i type. Like ACOG not working from time to time.

Or AI.s being dumbasses even more. I need to actually

POINT at the target before they engage. 3-5 have non

or VERRY little efect, although it might be the 1.15 patch

too.

Im a bit worried that the AI is given so little atention.

As the game is spinning aroud the fact u can use a

LARGE number of them under ur command they shuld

be a bit smarter, when thay are under your command..

"FREE" Ai´s are supersoldiers that can see through

even walls.

But ACE with RKSL is the best in ArmA, at the moment..

Now that I figured out the sound issues and got everything working. I don't see how I could play Arma now, without ACE installed. This is just awesome. biggrin_o.gif

For all of you who are complaining...if you dont like it, there is an ansfer : Dont use it. Guess what its a Mod and not game patch.

It's an open beta.  I think that if someone thinks some values are incorrect, they are supposed to report that.  That would be the point of the open beta.

O im sorry, Like i dont know its open beta, and Like i dont know what is the point of beta version....

Instead of quoting me... you should read back, and you will see that some are complaining and not reporting.

That's going to happen in a forum with a wide range of different kinds of people. I'm sure the devs of ACE are adult enough to handle it.

I removed the ACE Mod from my game till I can figure out why I get that terrible wind sound on Afghan.  sad_o.gif

For the record, I actually like that sound. It drops bottom on my subwoofer, sounds like wind, with a faint tinge of "heartbeat."

notworthy.gif  rofl.gif

I love it aswell

it make you feel like you are there.

agree.. but would you say the same if you got the same content as today but taking 4 gb, 8 gb, 10 gb.. or 1 gb?

My personal opinion:

This is 2009, not 1999. 650MB packed, 2GB unpacked is a joke. 4, 8, 10GB, what's the difference?

Stuff grows bigger, harddrives grow bigger. Internet connections become faster.

Without trying to sound harsh, but you're not forced to use BIG Packs. If you want to use Windows 95 with Command & Conquer Gold, and a 10GB harddrive; totally free to do so smile_o.gif

(Again, this is my personal opinion, not official ACE Statement biggrin_o.gif)

I just wonder how many years would it take the three of us (DaSquade Scuba and me) to manufacture even 1 Gb of additional weaponpacks.

By the time the pack size doubles the internet speed and diskspace will grow tenfolds.

We have ten times the disk space we had in OFP times, 4 times the connection speed and mods grew by half of size.

I would say the mods are smaller than ever.

agree.. but would you say the same if you got the same content as today but taking 4 gb, 8 gb, 10 gb.. or 1 gb?

My personal opinion:

This is 2009, not 1999. 650MB packed, 2GB unpacked is a joke. 4, 8, 10GB, what's the difference?

Stuff grows bigger, harddrives grow bigger. Internet connections become faster.

Without trying to sound harsh, but you're not forced to use BIG Packs. If you want to use Windows 95 with Command & Conquer Gold, and a 10GB harddrive; totally free to do so smile_o.gif

yes, ofcourse i want to play Command & conquer on a 10 gb harddrive. For the record I got 3 computers in my room + a notebook and external drives and a 100/100 mbit connection that I pays 10 euro for.. life as a student in Sweden is nice..

however this isn't my point but that doesn't seem to go thru the filter..

yes, ofcourse i want to play Command & conquer on a 10 gb harddrive. For the record I got 3 computers in my room + a notebook and external drives and a 100/100 mbit connection that I pays 10 euro for.. life as a student in Sweden is nice..

however this isn't my point but that doesn't seem to go thru the filter..

Well I was only commenting on the 2GB etc notes (didn't read the rest of the replies yet)

(100/100 inlove.gif )

But I surely agree that we shouldn't waste space.

So I stand by my opinion that 2, 4, 8, 10, 20GB doesn't really matter IMO, but that doesn't mean we should waste it by not using Proxies and having a shitload of non useful models laying around.

However, "non useful models", is highly subjective smile_o.gif

What is useful to me is useless to others, and visa versa.

Feel free to open a ticket at our Project Tools that opens a discussion about this, or rather a description of the issue and/or a list of models / sets that people believe should be excluded.

Can not make any promises, but we will do our utmost best to look into and consider it.

Like ACOG not working from time to time.

Are you sure you didn't accidentally trigger the backup ironsights(shift+f)

Even your crap is OFFICIAL ACE $hit now ! rofl.gif

I havent tried ACE yet.. I'm so downloading it when I get back home as it is my #1 mod (old WGL user). My plan was to reply then.

My 0.02€ about "core ace" and ace addons. I liked the WGL approach where you could play WGL using BIS units and then you could use replacement packs. That made it easier for people with weaker computers and different tastes to join in. Groups playing with other sides using ace (alot of good mods from all over the world) could benefit to not be downloading and load the, for that group, redundant addons.

The US ace-addons could be an "official" ace-pack.

I do however see the benefit with one bigger package as you know that all people have those units and you can expand the missions. And I guess most players use US or RU as their side.

Also to have everything in one big pack makes it easier and more accesible for more users I guess.

Addon-pack or one big file doesnt really matter for me as I have the needed hardware and I must load other addons anyway to get the side I want to play AND I do play as US and RU now and then so I am really happy that all those units are made!!

The only negative thing with one big pack, as I see it, is for the players that are limited by hardware and want to use ace-features without loading alot of addons. That was one of WGLs features imho.

Dont take this negative, it is my 2c about the included addons.

I personally will download everything with a big smile smile_o.gif

About splitting ACE into pieces...

I think you SHOULD NOT !.

Having all the addons and mods i one pack brings you the ability to play on every server who has ACE in their description/mod line.

It's already hard to keep up with all different addons on servers and missions.

You got ACE and you can play on any server which has ACE...thats the good thing about it and about a total conversion.

Otherwise it will be chaos like it is with all the other addons.

It unites many addons and creates a pack which makes it much easier for most of the players out there. You always have the option not to use those in your missions.

Besides we'll need stronger PCs and servers for Arma2 anyways, with more storage space.

If lots of stuff was deleted from ACE in order to "save space", it would be a lot of extra work for mission designer to re-tweak their missions to suit what would then be missing. So no thanks. The DL size is not big with todays bandwidths. HD space? C'mon...

Anyways, found a bug: When having Binocular and Laser Designator, switching between the two will leave the LDs overlay graphics on top of the Binocular when used.

There is something similar at least in the docs folder in the @ACE folder I think..

I seem to get face "mutations" whilst playing a few missions that have been designed and made for Avgani and the Afghan Village map. It's been somewhat intermittent in appearing too. I'm stumped as to what it's being caused by =[

I've been getting that face mutation too. Only noticed it so far on the Avgani map. It didn't happen the first time I played with the ACE mod on that map but seemed to develop after a few games.

Its just like for exemple the m14.. Ok, it is still used, not really widespread or anything, but it is used. So should it be in ACE.. sure why not.

http://kungtotte.homelinux.org/images/arma/lolweapons/M14.jpg

but somewhere around here is when you should say "ok, come on, enough is enough."

this is just m14.. this goes for alot of things, and this is where I feel something gone wrong compared to WGL. I might apply join the ranks of ACE to help them out. but for me I was really supprised when browsing the weapons I found a smoke launcher that needed to be fired like a weapon and it behaved like my 5 min script I did for the IC mod. Like where is the realism? The hellfires on helicopters is awesome, but having same medic models with like 3 different displaynames.. is that realism or could that been done with "description" that is in the editor.

ACE is alot, but my feedback is that in some areas its unessarily much. A m136 that can be reloaded made us laugh when ArmA was relased.. and it isnt fixed in ACE but again who needs that when you got 20 versions of a M14.

I think I can't comment much more without this going in circles. So will try take a break and let this thread "grow" in a different direction.

Will there be standalone addons eg. math_armaeffects, KingHomers MBT's etc? smile_o.gif

Think that some ACE replacements can break non-ACE missions, an option would be fine:

A - use ACE with all ACE features + replacements (ACE missions)

B - use ACE only with ACE core features (non-ACE missions)

There is something similar at least in the docs folder in the @ACE folder I think..

I seem to get face "mutations" whilst playing a few missions that have been designed and made for Avgani and the Afghan Village map. It's been somewhat intermittent in appearing too. I'm stumped as to what it's being caused by =[

I've been getting that face mutation too. Only noticed it so far on the Avgani map. It didn't happen the first time I played with the ACE mod on that map but seemed to develop after a few games.

See http://www.acemod.net/forums/project.php?issueid=768

It may be related to the way you start ArmA, with or without -world=empty parameter.

Its just like for exemple the m14.. Ok, it is still used, not really widespread or anything, but it is used. So should it be in ACE.. sure why not.

http://kungtotte.homelinux.org/images/arma/lolweapons/M14.jpg

but somewhere around here is when you should say "ok, come on, enough is enough."

this is just m14.. this goes for alot of things, and this is where I feel something gone wrong compared to WGL. I might apply join the ranks of ACE to help them out. but for me I was really supprised when browsing the weapons I found a smoke launcher that needed to be fired like a weapon and it behaved like my 5 min script I did for the IC mod. Like where is the realism?  The hellfires on helicopters is awesome, but having same medic models with like 3 different displaynames.. is that realism or could that been done with "description" that is in the editor.

ACE is alot, but my feedback is that in some areas its unessarily much. A m136 that can be reloaded made us laugh when ArmA was relased.. and it isnt fixed in ACE but again who needs that when you got 20 versions of a M14.

I think I can't comment much more without this going in circles. So will try take a break and let this thread "grow" in a different direction.

Well im sorry that ACE doesn't live up to your Realism specs.

We released a BETA to get your feedback. Loosing that feedback in this thread between a million replies, is not very helpful.

We are all open to listen, so if you feel you have constructive critism and feedback, like these specific cases, I strongly suggest to simply use our Project Tools and we can do something about it.

This mod has been created by a lot of ppl and we have been fighting for motivation, (To be honest, we were with about 5 truelly active devs).

I'm sorry it aint perfect but that's not what you can really expect from a BETA anyway, can you?

Even though we do our best to uphold a certain quality, of course.

If some of our features compare to a 5-minute-script of yours; then it seems like you should've been making ACE instead of us, while we could've gone out on Holidays smile_o.gif

Some of the included work was not designed for or created by ACE, like the M14's and HK416/417.

I personally don't see what is wrong with including all the variants. Especially not when you use it together with the (just lacking UI atm) Attachments System, and the CQB Mode Switching.

So I disagree that we should draw a line there;

We didn't waste time creating that many variants, so why not include the available ones?

But you assumed we find it more important to develop 20 M14's instead of a working Disposable system... (a quick look in the ace folder actually even reveals: six_weap_files_m14 and others :O)

Besides, Mission Makers or one-self can limit the weapons available in the mission, so even that's not really the issue is it?

The disposable system was extremely bugged, so we haven't included it into the BETA release; I'm sorry but I feel like you're having a bad day and express this through your messages :O

Anyway, I still agree with your earlier points of wasting space, when it comes to unused models and unoptimized ways like no proxy uses.

I think these are certainly things we should look after in the future.

@ Carlgustaffa (and others)

It's not a matter of saving space, it's more about most of the addons being unnecessary or irrelevant to some people or groups. For example, I'm in a British squad that's keen to give ACE a go for the various enhancements and whatnot. The sticking point is that we simply do not have any need whatsoever for 99% of the US kit, and given that we're fairly strict about what gets uploaded to the server in terms of usefulness, most of us are balking at the idea of putting almost a solid gigabyte of things that we'll never use on it that everyone will have to download just to stay up to date. It's a shame, because it really is a fantastic piece of work.

I personally think the best idea would be to split the pack into two: one with all the core stuff (ACE itself), and then one with the extra units and vehicles. That way, there's still a standard pack of units that people can jump onto public servers with, and there's a basic package that people in squads can use on its own with their own stuff.

Quote[/b] ]I personally think the best idea would be to split the pack into two: one with all the core stuff (ACE itself), and then one with the extra units and vehicles. That way, there's still a standard pack of units that people can jump onto public servers with, and there's a basic package that people in squads can use on its own with their own stuff.

I'm for that too and i suggested such a "modularity" way back during alpha-times.... sadly Sickboy answered that it is very unlikely to see such a modularity in future ACE Versions, as ACE was build entirely in a different way. wink_o.gif

Personally i would like to "only" use ACE-features and Weapons, but drop all Soldier Models as well as aircraft and vehicles to save a couple of 100 megabytes.

Let's hope Arma2 Version will be build with a little bit modularity in mind biggrin_o.gif

Regards, Christian

Quote[/b] ]I personally think the best idea would be to split the pack into two: one with all the core stuff (ACE itself), and then one with the extra units and vehicles. That way, there's still a standard pack of units that people can jump onto public servers with, and there's a basic package that people in squads can use on its own with their own stuff.

I'm for that too and i suggested such a "modularity" way back during alpha-times.... sadly Sickboy answered that it is very unlikely to see such a modularity in future ACE Versions, as ACE was build entirely in a different way. wink_o.gif

Jup, it was decided even before my ACE time, that ACE would not be built with modularity in mind.

Even though we have different archives for different components, this is basically only done for easier developing and updating.

I's not too easy to change that so late in the development process, and I also believe that most of the devs still agree that the current setup is the way to go.

Besides, I don't think we have the manpower to achieve it right now anyway.

ArmA2, new round, new chances smile_o.gif

Well an good way for this space thing would be to dem down the SF units there all the same with just diffrent Names to them crazy_o.gif Yes they got diffrent Camo and lol diffrent back packs to them but are all same like the ACU unit team leader looks the same in all of them options to chose in diffrent SF units. Ya cant even chose from light armor or heavy armor like in the SF units of Johnys.