sickboy

A.C.E. Advanced Combat Environment Public Release!

btw, i found another strange thing. I went to multiplayer, and on the server list i tr to lookup for any server running ace. Instead of filtering i simply take a look at the island loaded, and all servers that i checked have de ace sara island loaded, is this a bug o every server is running ace mod?

That's just because ACE changes the display name of the islands. So it's still Sahrani, just displaying a different name for it.

Don't ask me why though because I have no idea tounge2.gif

Nothing to worry about, it doesn't affect anything.

Javelin behavior however is a "bug" of a sort since without ACE I can engage and destroy any vehicle I place with the editor (friend or foe, 3rd party or game). With ACE the hits are always on the closest one and on some vehicles I cannot get a lock at all anymore.

Please name the vehicles you cannot get a lock on. And list all other mods running with your client and server that is NOT ACE. This feedback will get a fix faster if that is what you desire.

I'm surprised at the amount of posts asking for a "mountain" class for backpacks.  I thought the ruck system was one of three critical features that fundamentally change the way Arma plays.  Much like bandages, I'd rather have them around as defaults rather than having to put them in myself as a mission editor, because it is a fundamental part of ACE.

People can argue all day about whether or not infantry take rucksacks into combat, and either way I don't really care.  More importantly, the ruck system allows us to not be limited by the 12 main slot and 8 secondary slot limit default Arma imposes on us.  I know of many fellow Marines that are 0311 (I am not an 0311 myself) who tell me about how they would carry 12 mags minimum on patrol.  In addition to that they'd have grenades, smokes, or whatever.  Fireteam leaders would regularly carry much more than 8 m203 rounds.  In default Arma it's impossible to load up with that much crap, however in ACE it is.  The Backpacks are just a pretty model to add eye candy to the game.  The real beauty is the ability to not be restricted by default Arma and carry whatever you want.  Think of your 12 main slots and 8 secondary as you most readily accessible items, and those in your ruck as those that are a bit harder to get to.

Now of course the stamina system provides checks and balances to the ruck system.  Every item has a weight (and a volume).  The more you carry, the faster you get tired as you move.  The weights are accurate, and based on real world data.  As it stands now, the fatigue rate is pretty good.  It is not game crippling, but definitely makes it something to take into account.  Heck, I just jogged 400m with a 0311 Automatic Rifleman and he didn't even break a sweat.  His aim was perfect.  I dare you to try and jog 400m with 20.8 Kilos of gear on you and not be breathing hard.  On top of that then hold that SAW as steady in the standing as the Arma SAW gunner does?  I don't care who you are, it's damned near impossible.  But then it wouldn't be as fun of a game, right?

Now, for those of you who still want to remove the backpacks from your units, a simple removeweapon command in the init line will do the trick.  For example, pick the desert MARPAT 0311 rifleman, and put this code in his init line:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">this removeweapon "ACE_Rucksack_MOLLE_DMARPAT";

Bingo-Bango you've got a rifleman with no backpack!  However, there still may be _PDM magazines on the unit by default you might want to remove if you want to polish him up.  If you don't know what that is read the wiki about the ruck system and you'll have an idea.

But how do I know the classnames for all the different backpacks?  I don't.  All of the class names listed below I pulled out of the ace_config_men pbo.  You can view pbo's with a tool such as Arma pbo view, in case you didn't already know that. (I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here for the most part)  If you really want to remove that backpack, go dig around to find which backpack your unit is carrying if you can't figure it out from the list I provide below.

Here are a sample of them.  If you check out the ACE rucksacks box you'll see just how many there are.

ACE_Rucksack_Alice

ACE_Rucksack_MOLLE_Green

ACE_Rucksack_MOLLE_Green_Medic

ACE_Rucksack_MOLLE_Green_Miner

ACE_Rucksack_MOLLE_Brown

ACE_Rucksack_MOLLE_Brown_Medic

ACE_Rucksack_MOLLE_Brown_Miner

ACE_Rucksack_Raid

ACE_Rucksack_EAST

ACE_Rucksack_EAST_Medic

ACE_Rucksack_MOLLE_WMARPAT

ACE_Rucksack_MOLLE_DMARPAT

(the last two are for USMC units.  You can add the _Medic and _Miner designations to them too I believe)

Here are a couple of radio backpacks:

ACE_ANPRC77_Alice

ACE_Rucksack_RD91

The _Miner tag means it is a backpack with a Mine stuck to the back of it (just like the backpacks on the engineer class of default Arma).

The _Medic tag means that backpack will have a little medic symbol on it, ususally (there could be one or teo that do not have a different symbol).

Some other odds and ends....

Binoculars

Have you tried to go to "iron sights" mode (default "v" or the right mouse button) when you have your binoculars out?  They changed this recently so that you could have you binos out and lean left or right, or change positions with them in hand without having to switch back to another weapon.  I find this to be a nice feature, though I agree about the binos being too obstructing when you are not in iron sights mode.

Crew Served Weapons and AI

These two are easy answers too.  Currently there is no way to get the AI to deploy crew served weapons that I know of, other then having them drop them for you, and you setting them up yourself.  Crew served weapons are definitely geared more for MP games versus single player.  You can make it work in SP, but it's clunky and really you have to do it all yourself.

Class name lists

Documentation for ACE, such as all the class names for things is definitely a bit lacking, but that is because the developers have spent so much time working on awesome gameplay changing features such as the stamina, ruck, and wounding systems.  These three features alone change the way Arma is played drastically.  

I'm sure that if someone wanted to develop even part of it, the ACE devs would gladly accept you donation.   wink_o.gif  It's all a matter of going through the pbo's.

Mortars

As well, mortars are currently not implemented in ACE.  Any and all mortar units are merely placeholders until that feature is implemented.  This same thing applies to things like VDV troops, or the insurgents in the independent side.  The configs or whatever are all made up for them, there just isn't a special model for them yet, so they get the Arma default models for now as far as I understand.

I hope this helps some people out with some questions.  I know the Devs still have a lot on their hands.  I figure I would help out here as best I can.  Hopefully I am doing it without stepping on their... toes too much.  If I do, I know they'll slap me around and get me in line!   wink_o.gif

All reported issues will be checked and resolved in the course of the next weeks, but do not expect much before the new year.

And as promised, missing content will probably be added in the upcoming weeks, but break and then patches first  goodnight.gif  yay.gif

if in the patch u fix the compatibily errors whit other mods like lobomod or others would be good for a completly war's experience pistols.gifxmas_o.gif thanks

if in the patch u fix the compatibily errors whit other mods like lobomod or others would be good for a completly war's experience  pistols.gif  xmas_o.gif  thanks

There are no compatibility problems in ACE that I know of.  icon_rolleyes.gif

There are problems with other mods that are not written/scripted so good. If you expect next version of ACE to fix that I tell you you're at the wrong adress.

Once people realise they need to use EXH and stop overwriting the default classes it's gonn aget better.

If it's about AI - using two AI mods at one time is not a good idea.

I would like to see a combination with ACE

and the AI from ecs or is it esp...

You know the one were the AI stalks u in citys etc.

Search buildings and so on...

Not too sure yet what we will do further with AI.

ArmA2 is said to be planned for 2009, and the news about Micro-AI etc, kinda makes it a bit risky to work hard on AI enhancements that probably become useless and outdated the second ArmA2 hits the shelf.

Maybe someone can look at combining options etc.

I wouldn't expect too much into that regard until ArmA2.

Quote[/b] ]And what needs to be done to use the AI and effect changes with other units?

Personally I am more in the WWII thing, so à would like to use the mod with vilas and rip31st units...

Thanks a lot!

A.

Other Addons need to be using XEH (Extended EventHandlers), or at least be NOT incompatible with XEH.
Quote[/b] ]What about separate suggestions topic?

Anyway, I'm dl'ing it right now. Thank you guys!

We have an easy to use integrated bugtracker in our forums that also handles feature requests etc.

I would suggest ppl to use those. Splitting threads might just make things more Chaotic smile_o.gif

Body Dragging doesn't work in multiplayer. It only works with AI units not players.

Not true!

Body Dragging doesn't work in multiplayer. It only works with AI units not players.

Are you sure both server and all connected clients use Ace mod? Does the server have addon signature check?

Nothing cooler than being dragged out of the line of fire by your mate in multiplayer.  wink_o.gif

Aww. Too slow. tounge2.gif But seriously, it is very cool. It's like something off a film. Peering with half opened eyes, unable to move, tracers flying over head, then suddenly you start moving, grenades still going off in the distance. It kind of jostles you awake too, I couldn't move at all then i could move my head a little, then I could see better. Magnificent work, probably the best injury system i've seen in a game.

Daniel @ Dec. 26 2008,14:25)]Nothing cooler than being dragged out of the line of fire by your mate in multiplayer.  wink_o.gif

There is something cooler: being dragged by your teammate out of harm's way while being chased by enemy patrolls after having been shot down and had crash-landing while on your way to mission objective and the remaining teams head on for S&R in a hastely formed convoy while your team set up defenses and treat their wounded in a small village...  wink_o.gif

Be sure to try the dynamic missions, the AIs are much more challanging if they coordinate their actions.

@ Dec. 26 2008,05:47)]Once people realise they need to use EXH and stop overwriting the default classes it's gonn aget better.

I couldn't agree more about the XEH implementation. I wish it was standard practice to make things XEH compatible. It seems like an easy enough thing to do I just wish more people would take the initiative.

If people want to see better compatibility they should go to the content thread and ask, nicely, to implement XEH. Asking for ACE to solve the problem is pointless in my opinion.

xmas_o.gif Boy, the ACE mod is soo sweet even for a BETA. Been playing with ACE and the afghan village on MP the past two days. This feel like a new game to me. Glad i donated some of my old and new stuff too the mod. Feels so great not to have to edit something or use replacement files biggrin_o.gif .

I wasn't that interested in ArmA lately and i honestly had my doughts of ACE mod, but for now VBS2 is collecting dust.

DaSquade your CARs are really really nice as I said yesterday...especially the EOTech on the CQB looks really good..Not too bulky not too small.

***BUG REPORT***

I had one issue tho...dunno if it is due to your model or ACE....The "CAR L Aimpoint" does not shoot at where the red dot aims. It shoots much higher than the reddot.

PS..Dunno whose they are but I love the animated HK417 class magazines where you can actually see how many bullets you got left.

PS..Dunno whose they are but I love the animated HK417 class magazines where you can actually see how many bullets you got left.

Mine, mine smile_o.gif.

The Milkor M32 is cool, I think the grenades were finally made stronger too. If I see anyone standing beside a wall he's gone one second later. biggrin_o.gif Haven's seen the model before, it looks good (reticle is cool).

I cannot bring up granade range display for pistol grenade launcher (mk 13) I think it only works for primary slot GLs.

One thing I don't like is the stock sluggishness of weapoin handling even for carbines, this can be reduced or removed (dexternity), but for now it seems all rifles just have the same value, so picking one with less gear or shorter barrel really gives no bonus.

@ Dec. 26 2008,14:25)]

Are you sure both server and all connected clients use Ace mod? Does the server have addon signature check?

Yes, tried on dedicated server with ACE enabled on both sides. Nobody was able to drag his temmate looked like kind of bug to me. No problems with dead AI instead. Checked more than few times with the same result. You were only able to initiate the script but after that it stopped working and the body was simply dropped on the ground.

Actually it does work. However we saw some desync issues(not too bad though, once in a while) last night where guys were dragging nothing. Actually come to think of it, the respawn in the mission was so quick that a guy would get dragged and he respawns in the meantime, then the dragger is dragging nothing.

can someone post a keyborad setup of ace function here?

as i find that some assigned key might have overlaped with my custom keyborad setup in normal

can someone post a keyborad setup of ace function here?

as i find that some assigned key might have overlaped with my custom keyborad setup in normal

look in \ArmA\Dta\ACE\ace_keys.hpp it lists them all.

I've noticed in there though that it says

Quote[/b] ]ace_fx_planes_key_afterburner = 42; // LEFT SHIFT enables afterburner

I assume this is for the Su-34? Currently though, the left shift key is bound to flare launchers in aircraft so the afterburner bind is overwritten by ACE itself. The team might want to look at changing the default bind if afterburners are still a feature.

Anyway, I've played ACE intermittently between visiting relatives, getting sloshed and expanding my waist-band, and I must say I love it! I'm still yet to sit down for a serious mission either in SP or MP with the mod, but I've enjoyed just messing around with the features in the editor immensely.

The MG recoil added to vehicles is really excellent, and I was so happy to finally be able to fire AT weapons standing up. I can't believe I never tried WGL all those years I played OFP, after playing ACE.

Can't give a keycard or something, but i do noticed that the change SCOPE<->IRONSIGHT (reddot) works with ctrl-shift-F key instead of shift-F. But i'm using F already for switching firemodes etc.

You might want to check the ACE wiki features (if not mistaken) for most keys/functions.

Great work guys, WGL was probably my favourite mod for OFP because it brought that extra realism to the game and now it continues to do the same so thank you for your work.

Quote[/b] ]The TOW launcher on the m2a2 cannot be reloaded

Try turning out with the crew. You cannot load missiles trough the roof while you are buttoned up. It is the same with BMP-2 and BMD if I remember it correctly.