Sign in to follow this  
opteryx

Avgani and Afghan Village

Very nice map!

Are there any known bugs in the map?

I drove around a bit with a HMMWV and noticed the HMMWV drives faster when beeing offroad. When I drive on the dirtroad around in the FOB the HMMWV drives slower.. when driving next to the dirtroad youre going faster.

Cheers Opteryx. Love the look of the afghan village. Been waiting a long time for someone to produce one.

I am finding, however, that AI won't enter the compounds through the open doors/entrances in the huge walls. I've set countless waypoints to make them do so, but still they surround the compound and then stand about doing nothing. Bug, or my bad?

Thanks for the maps, a very nice present thumbs-up.gif

Wow very nice maps indeed. I have dr frogsters smaller afghan map which is nice for squad and platoon size fire fights and now this new afghan map. Man I played a company vs company size battle and it ran smooth. Thank you!!! smile_o.gif

Very nice map!

I drove around a bit with a HMMWV and noticed the HMMWV drives faster when beeing offroad. When I drive on the dirtroad around in the FOB the HMMWV drives slower.. when driving next to the dirtroad youre going faster.

Interesting, did this occur in the older version?

I am finding, however, that AI won't enter the compounds through the open doors/entrances in the huge walls. I've set countless waypoints to make them do so, but still they surround the compound and then stand about doing nothing. Bug, or my bad?

Yes, I tried adding pathways, but they didn't work so I've put some hidden roadway LODs... don't seem like these work either, I've found out since release though that pathways won't work unless you compile in a certain way. Hopefully this will get fixed next release, that includes building positions.

Very nice map!

Interesting, did this occur in the older version?

I have no idea mate,

I did not have a older version of this maps.

I have one complaint about these maps...

These maps are sooooo awesome I wish there was larger ones.

the detail on these is great!

I will definitly be using them on some missions thx again!   xmas_o.gif

Great work again, feels more real than Avgani.

Something you could maybe consider for your maps:

These sort of environments are ideal for the sort of responsive CAS that's occurred in Afghanistan recently. Unfortunately, there isn't always going to be any sort of airfield nearby. So you could add a simple strip for jets miles from the "main" part of the map. So only the pilots would go near it, but it would allow for human pilots to scramble and help out patrols in dense terrain. You could make it as far from the village as the satmap allows.

Have a think about it anyway - would be really appreciated by any units that use air support.

Thanks for your work, your maps are simply amazing.

Yeah, airstrip far away would be great. I usually make my pilots as Independent, so they have a spawn point at the airfield. Regular infantry has a FOB as BLUFOR. At least thats how we play it.

In last operation (mp coop) we've used FDF island and I've suprised my guys so that enemy used Mirage III bombers and Hind-Ds when AI infantry detected my guys near the "primary goal" area wink_o.gif Mirages took off from the unpaved airport on SW of map smile_o.gif

This airport can be siezed in the same mission and capture CAS assets on ground wink_o.gif or you can use them to scramble friendly A10s (played by your guys as Independent or AI) when needed.

Daniel @ Dec. 25 2008,16:29)]Great work again, feels more real than Avgani.

Something you could maybe consider for your maps:

These sort of environments are ideal for the sort of responsive CAS that's occurred in Afghanistan recently. Unfortunately, there isn't always going to be any sort of airfield nearby. So you could add a simple strip for jets miles from the "main" part of the map. So only the pilots would go near it, but it would allow for human pilots to scramble and help out patrols in dense terrain. You could make it as far from the village as the satmap allows.

Have a think about it anyway - would be really appreciated by any units that use air support.

Or if you have one of the 3rd party editors (lowflys editor)

You can manually place runway pieces.

Bit fiddily to line em up crazy_o.gif

But there is a nice flat spot very far north on Avgani going N to S smile_o.gif

Sorry, airfields on such tiny maps isn't going to happen.

Heya,

Awesome Islands, it's a pleasure to play on them, like all OPX Isle's yay.gif

Some Techinicalities I noticed:

Both your Islands relink CfgWorlds Class Intro from CAWorld to DefaultWorld. The original class Intro (in Desert.pbo) is linked to CAWorld.

Could this be fixed in a future version?

"Desert" is missing from the requiredAddons list, since you inherit from the Desert addon (containing 'Intro'wink_o.gif, it would be advised to add it.

I'm not sure but I think I read somewhere that BI standard for Islands is to inherit from Intro and use zoom0 and zoom1, like you implemented, however, afaik the proper way would be to inherit from CAWorld:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">   class DefaultWorld;

class CAWorld: DefaultWorld

{

class Grid;

};

class MyIsland: CAWorld

{

class Grid: Grid

{

class Zoom1 ......

class Zoom2 ......

};

};

But I guess when your island depends on inheriting from Intro you could stick to that.

You could use this then:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">   class CAWorld;

class Intro: CAWorld

{

class Grid;

};

class MyIsland: Intro

{

class Grid: Grid

{

class Zoom1 ......

class Zoom2 ......

};

};

Sorry but I'm new to adding mods,

I think I get the map addons but where do I place the folders and files for opxbuildings, opxplants, opxroads, opxmisc, and the public key folder?

Thank You in advance for any help

Thank You for the responses, got it working!

SoopSandwich: best way is to create a new folder with name "@Soop" and in it create a subdir "Addons" - there you put all of the pbo's and signed files.

You run the game with extra -mod=@Soop parameter. If you run more mods use ; between them without spacing.