hypno toad

Resistance and Liberation - Realism WW2 mod

Alpha 4 downloads on main page:

http://www.resistanceandliberation.com/

Gameplay Video:

Another Gameplay video

"Moral" video

The mod features:

- Well detailed mission environments. Most maps are very closely modeled to their real-life counterparts.

- Some of the best weapon models around.

- Close teamwork and squadplay

- An interesting and innovative voice chat method

- No HUD.

- Large maps (for the source engine, that is)

- An interesting movement system combing free-aim, climbing, 2 iron sight modes, and more.

- A real time "moral system." That affects your steadiness of aim, and perception, and your overall combat effectiveness. Killing enemies and sticking with your squad mates improves you moral, though seeing a teammate die, killing a teammate, being fired at, and "lone wolfing" will reduce moral. This system rewards intelligent playing, and punishes stupidity.

To avoid having to make an entirely new thread, I will just use the magic of quotes.

Quote[/b] ]The Resistance and Liberation development team finally took pity on us and released the Alpha 3 patch biggrin_o.gif

Resistance and Liberation (RnL) Is a mod for Half Life 2 that accurately depicts the missions of the 82nd airborne during d-day, in Normandy. It includes missions such a Ste. Mere Eglise, Ste. Come du Mont, La Fiere, Carentan (yet to be released) and Saint Marie du Mont. The theaters are also slowly expanding into belgium, with Til "Albatros" Sichel's new Ardennes map, and another one in the making.

Some things you should note if you haven't played RnL mod. It's a realism based game, that is heavily based on teamwork. It could even be called a simulator to some extent. People who play DoD 1.6 may like this game, because often they do, and those of you playing OFP and ArmA will probably take a real liking to it. The game is prone to crashing right now, as are all updates to mods.. and the new machineguns need some more work in the first person animation department, and everybody knows it, so don't bother repeating it anymore.

That being said, here's the link to the homepage. If you are a casual player in RnL, I would encourage you to download it and play, the game is much better with full servers.

http://www.resistanceandliberation.com/

Pics:

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/7673/rnleglise0006sk8.jpg

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/4761/rnleglise0011el3.jpg

The mod is still in a semi-private alpha stage, not to mean that it is barely playable, because the opposite is true, it is very playable. it's just that as of now, the mod does not depict the overall ambitions of the developers, and much more is to come.

The community is still fairly small, and if you like the mod, don't hesitate to join the forums, newcomers, especially ArmA and OFP veterans, are very welcome.

the video in that link is horrible. If their idea of teamplay is bunching up and just going to spot A then they're really bad at it.

It does actually look a bit of fun for a free game.

But after checking the forums,seems to have a big problem with crashing confused_o.gif

Yea my computer froze yesterday trying out the new patch, which is a shame cos this mod is actually really good. Besides Red orchestra and Americas Army and perhaps Insurgency, this is the only game I consider worth playing in the "small-maps action but still realistic" based games out there.

Guest Ti0n3r

Almost melted my CPU -_-

I love it, I only wish there was more content. The controls seems inspired by Arma.

Many of the features in this mod is things I have been missing in Red Orchestra, such as zoom-able iron sights. And yes it does hog some resources. But it looks pretty good in places too.

the video in that link is horrible. If their idea of teamplay is bunching up and just going to spot A then they're really bad at it.

It's not a quantum game. You can only take one of the many paths at one time, silly. Which is why you registered it as point a to point b. The maps are large, and non-linear. So they have many paths to different objectives.

It's more like point A, to point A1/2, to point C. After capturing point C, swing back with your squad to attack point B from behind, where bravo squad meets up with you, and you send fire team alpha to set up a machinguns at point C, after which fire team bravo moves to the left flank of point D, and the remaining troops attack point D from the front. The next round, the Germans are better prepared, and you have to re-think your attack plan.

Maybe if you played it rather than judging a gameplay video, you would have enjoyed it.

BTW, for those of you who actually tried it, and want to reduce the crashes, simply install this (follow the instructions) it helps to solve a lot of the crashes, and will make it easier for the developers to identify any that do happen.

http://forum.resistanceandliberation.com/showthr....t101817

I'm not talking about linearity as it's inevitable that in corridor shooters like HL2 that the number of approach points is going to be limited. What I'm talking about in that vid is the gameplay. Compared to lets say ShackTactical's videos it's pretty unimpressive. The only tactical advantage they seemed to have used is that they bunched together.

The models look nice and textures too, but they do so in every other HL2 mod because the HL2 community is huge and thus there are a lot more people with skills in there.

And as much as this is going to sound ironic I have to say that normandy, paratroopers and WW2 have been overdone in games.

have to say that normandy, paratroopers and WW2 have been overdone in games.

Yes I agree.

So your only beef with it is that it isn't Arma? tounge2.gif

My beef is with the video tounge2.gif .

Other than that I don't really know, I'm more of a DoD fan in any case, the old HL DoD that is. If this is anything like DoD then it can be fun. Otherwise, mneh, there are tons of other mod ideas that you can apply the same game mechanics to. Like the War On Drugs, you could fight the south american cartels. But I think that has been done.

In any case, I bet if I'd try it I would like it, but as it is, I'm a dick and I regard everything and anything as trash until it/he/she/they prove otherwise. tounge2.gif

Featurewise there are good things to be found in the mod (free-aim, mantling of walls that are higher then you, 2 different ironsights modes etc), and for a mod it is definitely one of the most polished ones that are available for Source.

However, the biggest problem with the mod is that it all feels so very, very clunky.

Many times when i walk around i feel like a drunken sailor who just goes everywhere where he doesnt want to go.

Yeah, the video really does look bad but I don't blame the game for that.

You could do the same thing with any other serious game - ArmA, OFP, PR.

I actually liked the features in there!

Guess I'm gonna give it a shot smile_o.gif

I'm not talking about linearity as it's inevitable that in corridor shooters like HL2 that the number of approach points is going to be limited. What I'm talking about in that vid is the gameplay. Compared to lets say ShackTactical's videos it's pretty unimpressive. The only tactical advantage they seemed to have used is that they bunched together.

The models look nice and textures too, but they do so in every other HL2 mod because the HL2 community is huge and thus there are a lot more people with skills in there.

And as much as this is going to sound ironic I have to say that normandy, paratroopers and WW2 have been overdone in games.

Coming from somebody who doesn't know anything about mapping for the source engine, yet alone played the mod? Really, the only thing limiting your paths are hedges and building, which you can often go around.

It seems to me you are assuming it is a realism based DoD: source, when the only thing the games have at all in common is World War 2. By the way, that video is not meant to be some epic debut trailer. That's something I made in 5 minutes, recording from the point where the round started, to the point where I died. It's gameplay, not a trailer to build a false impression of the mod. If you do want a trailer, here is one made 2 years ago, using outdated content.

The maps were built off of picture data and satellite images. You get the same amount of paths as the 82nd airborne did. I'm happy that more people are not like you, because if it was the other way around, nobody would make mods because so many people would be so overly critical and unappreciative. Youa re not being charged for the game, you are not being forced to download it. So either try it, or shut your trap, because all you are doing is killing it for others.[/rant]

--------------

As of now the game is a bit empty. It's still in an alpha stage, so the devs prefer to keep it on the down low (gee, I wonder why icon_rolleyes.gif) . But as I said, if you try and like the mod don't heistate to join the community. The dev team is also looking for experienced developers (namely animators) and they have openings for it.

There is also another new and original feature I forgot to mention

- A real time "moral system." That affects your steadiness of aim, and perception, and your overall combat effectiveness. Killing enemies and sticking with your squad mates improves you moral, though seeing a teammate die, killing a teammate, being fired at, and "lone wolfing" will reduce moral. This system rewards intelligent playing, and punishes stupidity.

I added a new video, this time in High definition, so pretty your eyes will bleed.

I cant play this alpha 3 though, the only server active is running another version(some kind of test version I think?) and loads of people are complaining about crashes.

Alpha 2 worked great in its time though.

I cant play this alpha 3 though, the only server active is running another version(some kind of test version I think?) and loads of people are complaining about crashes.

Alpha 2 worked great in its time though.

Actually, it is running updated binaries, found here:

They don't solve crashing, but they will help the developers pinpoint the crashing problems, for a hastier hotfix.

http://forum.resistanceandliberation.com/showthr....t101817

Just follow the install instructions.

Hi, I have DLed mod yesterday. I had some problems with connection ("Disconected-server uses different class tables" or something like this) so I hope that patch to A3v2 will help me. By the way-whats usual gaming time? I wanted to play at 13.00 GMT+1 but all servers were empty sad_o.gif Anyways, thank you for showing such a nice mod thumbs-up.gif

The mod's coder, Andrew Ritchie, has been going through some submitted crash files, he has released a few waves up updated binaries. It has rolled around to the fourth, which is the most stable, and will be the last alpha 3 version. It should resolve most, f not all of the crash sources. Also, updating to this will fix the "server uses different class tables" issue.

http://forum.resistanceandliberation.com/showthr....t103024