Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

ArmA feedback thread - based on Beta Patch 1.15

ah man,that sucks Philljc

I've read somwhere and i cant find that post no more, but it did help me a bit with textures (i hope it's not a placebo effect :P).

Try this in Bios if you have those options:

Advanced Chipset Settings

PEG Buffer Length  [short]

Link Latency          [Auto]

PEG Root Control    [Enabled]

PEG Link Mode       [Fast]

Slot Power             [Auto]

I notice you all keep saying the RAM issue is gone. For the people that saying it is gone, how much RAM are you using? Because with 8GB mine still gives me a black screen. Maybe 4GB is the new limit, or perhaps 6? Either way 8 doesn't work.

philljc,

I cannot run my vista64 with anything more than 3071mb.

I also have an ATI Radeon 4870.

It is annoying - if anyone has a cure please post it!

[TAO] Kremator

i have vista 64bit with 8gb ram all working fine...

check your sys. may run it on single gpu.

i think its the ati-card , i have a nvidia 280 and its running fine and smooth.

I just wanted to report some weird behaviour.  I don't think you can really call it a bug.  If you set some forced driver settings for anti aliasing in Catalyst Control Centre, and then change the AA settings in ArmA, it breaks the view distance fog.  The fog changes colour, and seems to be one solid value for all distances, making close objects murky and the end of the world view distance visible.

Yup I once had a AA story like that with CoD4 ; I'll never be sure but I guess it was with mouse wheel, AA was forced in 2x in NVidia Control Panel.

If I had AA activated in CoD4, the whole game went bright white, with main screen being in double, zoomed in top of the screen, over the main screen... hard to describe but catched my attention about hardware !

The game works fine'ish now with my 4870X2 after a lot of fiddling, but the 8GB of RAM still has to be changed to 3072. So something is definately wrong there.

If in 1.14 patch it gave me a black screen with a loading icon when I used 8GB, and it does the exact same thing in 1.15b then it can't be anything else but the same error. Especially since it goes away when I change it to 3072.

The game works fine'ish now with my 4870X2 after a lot of fiddling, but the 8GB of RAM still has to be changed to 3072. So something is definately wrong there.

If in 1.14 patch it gave me a black screen with a loading icon when I used 8GB, and it does the exact same thing in 1.15b then it can't be anything else but the same error. Especially since it goes away when I change it to 3072.

Thanks a lot for your testing. As this is what I consider one of the most important issues currently seen in ArmA, I will revisit the fix again and retest it with a broader testing HW. Meanwhile, could you please post (either here, or via PM) if:

- can you still see the issue with OS RAM limit set to 4096?

- what is the amount of VRAM in your 4870X2?

Yay for empirical testing results! Saying "this patch didn't fix shit" and then discovering that the problems are virtually exclusive to people with more than 3 Gb RAM + 4870 video cards... well, that's just like a mini-Christmas present of humble pie there.

When proper testing is done, then proper results are achieved. Talking like one knows something without having tested it is the equivalent of a caveman trying to figure out how to make fire. Everyone looks at the caveman funny, and someone always get burned. rofl.gif

Not sure if this is related to 1.15 but its the first time it has happened to me. Was in an MP game and when someone entered in (JIP) they ended up in my body and I could no longer maneuver myself. He took over. wierd

"body snatching" - I had this happen once with 1.14, it was several months back, and has never happened again, it was very strange indeed.

Croc4

System:

e6400 @3.2ghz

Intel bx2

ATI 3870/512mb

6gb ram

Vista HP x64

Patch wouldn't install with 6gb enabled, saying not enough space to install. Had to limit to 3072mb to install patch.

With Catalyst 8.11 Arma behaved as before with black screen when 6gb enabled.

Installed Catalyst 8.12 but had issues with the driver not loading on boot up, I have now discovered that has 8.12 has problems with over 4gb so have had to limit system memeory just so my system works

Have to wait until next driver update to find out if this patch works...

confused_o.gif

But 8.12 has fixed other issues so I'll put up with it for the time being.

Quote[/b] ]Patch wouldn't install with 6gb enabled, saying not enough space to install.

Same with me, though it installed it after all.

My setup:

Vista HP 64bit

2 x 8800 GT (although not possible to run in SLI mode with latest Nvidia drivers)

8 GB RAM

Otherwise rocks and kicks, so thank you BIS!

the patch seemed to solve any problem I have had with performance. I can say I am actually enjoying playing it instead of bashing it.

2,16 Duo Core 2 Duo

XFX Geforce 9800 GT

Sata drive blah blah blah you get the picture.

Thanks a lot for your testing. As this is what I consider one of the most important issues currently seen in ArmA, I will revisit the fix again and retest it with a broader testing HW. Meanwhile, could you please post (either here, or via PM) if:

- can you still see the issue with OS RAM limit set to 4096?

- what is the amount of VRAM in your 4870X2?

4096 works ( hooray! ) but reverting back to the maximum amount of memory still gives a black screen + loading cursor.

The 4870X2 is 2GB.

Just a small (possibly useless) question, but does it work at 8GB for other games, as the internet is riddled with bugreports on ATI drivers 8.12/8.11 in combination with large memory on VISTA64/XP64

strange... as mine works fine. I have 8gig. Vista 64 sp 1. and 4870x2 with ATI Driver 8.12.

Just a small (possibly useless) question, but does it work at 8GB for other games, as the internet is riddled with bugreports on ATI drivers 8.12/8.11 in combination with large memory on VISTA64/XP64

Works fine. Like I said its the EXACT same error that people used to get with 4GB, so I don't think it should be classified as some other problem, and like I said it goes away with 4096MB now.

Maybe its a brand thing with different RAM? Its Kingston Hyper X if that matters, 4 x 2GB.

Are there any plans for doing some changes to ArmA input system?

It is just not right that in order to have a normal control over your weapon you need over 100 frames per second!

It is just not right that in order to have a normal control over your weapon you need over 100 frames per second!

huh??

I can't say i need that mutch ( can't say i reach that high an fps, since i've got it locked to the v-sync ) to control my weps.

Do you run any mods that are messing things up ( or is it fade?)

huh??

I can't say i need that mutch ( can't say i reach that high an fps, since i've got it locked to the v-sync ) to control my weps.

Do you run any mods that are messing things up ( or is it fade?)

Try forcing off your vsync and go to a low fps area, try aiming. Then go to a desert area and put your settings to the lowest and look at the sky, the difference is just enormous, aiming feels so easy and smooth like butter, the gameplay turns actually enjoyable at 100+ fps. When it's low 50s I feel like the gun is sailing around on it's own, absolutely no control over the weapon compared to 150fps.

Yes thats very true, shame I cant get more then 30 fps with allmost everything on low. Aiming is verry hard, but I get used to it.

When I set everything on the lowest its feels like another game, but then even OFP looks better.

It definatly changed since OFP because with dxdll I get about 30 fps too, and aiming is fine and smooth.

I guess its too late to fix this now, as the mouse movement system is quite complicated I think, but its definilty that should be fixed for Arma II

Patch wouldn't install with 6gb enabled, saying not enough space to install. Had to limit to 3072mb to install patch.

Yes i got the same problem  again installing the patch.

Telling me there is not enough space to install.

I knew from last installs, on multiple machnes, that if you just ignore it it will still install.

It works fine than any way.

I dont  mind but maybe it can be repaired so it wont scare away new players.

Works fine. Like I said its the EXACT same error that people used to get with 4GB, so I don't think it should be classified as some other problem, and like I said it goes away with 4096MB now.

Maybe its a brand thing with different RAM? Its Kingston Hyper X if that matters, 4 x 2GB.

No its not a brand issue with different RAM, I have the same thing. Vista Ultimate x64 Sp1 8GBs of RAM (OCZ XTC), 4870X2 and I have to play in windowed mode. Attempting to go fullscreen it takes forever to load a starting screen and then the screen is almost black and white missing textrures, stuttering and a diashow. Maybe the 4gb ram issue was fixed but not the 8gb. Other games (The Witcher, Dead Space, Max Payne and pr0n games) work just fine.

Quote[/b] ]Patch wouldn't install with 6gb enabled, saying not enough space to install. Had to limit to 3072mb to install patch.

Same issue here but you can answer "Yes/No" and just continue with the installation.  xmas_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Yes i got the same problem  again installing the patch.

Telling me there is not enough space to install.

I knew from last installs, on multiple machnes, that if you just ignore it it will still install.

It works fine than any way.

I dont  mind but maybe it can be repaired so it wont scare away new players.

Quote[/b] ]Same issue here but you can answer "Yes/No" and just continue with the installation.

Yep, but being as 1.15 still didn't work with 6gb it's one of those niggles that bugs me until I got it installed with the 3072mb trick. smile_o.gif

And I agree it would be nice to see it fixed.