Sign in to follow this  
sk3pt

Landing on ships

Is it possible to add this to the Arma engine, or would it be far too much work ? Enlighten me.

That's what I meant, landing on MOVING ships.

I belive it has been confirmed that Arma 2 will NOT support objects on top of moving vehicles like in VBS2, but my memory may be failing me.

at least they said it was a big (and disappointing ! ) no about moving in vehicles (as a soldier, but I think it's linked to the feature you mean)

btw, no shooting from vehicles confirmed sad_o.gif

at least they said it was a big (and disappointing ! ) no about moving in vehicles (as a soldier, but I think it's linked to the feature you mean)

btw, no shooting from vehicles confirmed  sad_o.gif

still room for a patch smile_o.gif

still room for a patch smile_o.gif

Yes, if memory serves me correctly, that was what was indirectly hinted at by them, that a patch after release may be considered to fix.

I'm sure there's more to focus on than the animations and code for shooting from vehicles.

Event hen, the community made not have been too happy as soldiers shoot only out of certain vehciles. In all my times in a humvee, we jumped out before we shot. So shooting out of any vehicle in the game would be unrealistic.

Pickups, 5t open back trucks, MH6, Stryker hatches, BDRM hatches, open back Urals, and UAZ's would be about it.

As far as landing aircraft onto moving ships, I was hoping they would have this in there as being able to move a ship to gain a tactical advantage in a zone while still conducting flight ops would be right up the realism pipe.

Even if they make the necessary physics changes to allow moving on vehicles, they still need to program the AI to use it.

I think it's in VBS2 now, but I don't know if the AI can make use of it.

I'm sure there's more to focus on than the animations and code for shooting from vehicles.

Event hen, the community made not have been too happy as soldiers shoot only out of certain vehciles. In all my times in a humvee, we jumped out before we shot. So shooting out of any vehicle in the game would be unrealistic.

Pickups, 5t open back trucks, MH6, Stryker hatches, BDRM hatches, open back Urals, and UAZ's would be about it.

As far as landing aircraft onto moving ships, I was hoping they would have this in there as being able to move a ship to gain a tactical advantage in a zone while still conducting flight ops would be right up the realism pipe.

We did actually get a instruction on firing out the window of the Gelandewagens in convoy duty. But the officers we had wasn't exactly battle hardened so for all I know it could be bullshit.

Are you a marine? In that HBO show Generation kill they shoot while seated all the time. That should be fairly correct seeing as its based upon the book with the same name.

What I am sure about is that it is common practice by PMCs in convoy duty. Anyway, be looking forward to your reply

-sparks

Even if they make the necessary physics changes to allow moving on vehicles, they still need to program the AI to use it.

I think it's in VBS2 now, but I don't know if the AI can make use of it.

Is it really so important if AI can't do this or that?

I wouldn't mind if AI can't walk on a back of a 5Ton truck while human players can.

So actually AI can be occupy fixed slots on the back and fire/shoot from them.

I think it has to do with large scale objects issue in the engine, like you can't have geo lods working good on objects that are a special size or something.. wink_o.gif

thats why aircraft carriers have some issues with floors and such sometimes. smile_o.gif

I think making that part work needs some big stuff way inside the engine to be restructured and stuff and it could be risky cause it could make new bugs or so..

About shooting from vehicles player vs a.i and such, I think Bis want some kind of balance so players wouldn't have to much superiority against A.i's tounge2.gif

Well in a real world situation where there bypass an enemy stronghold havin a rpg soldier pop up at last second outside the door i'd say they'd shoot the quickest way they could to save lives/vehicle.

Is it really so important if AI can't do this or that?

I wouldn't mind if AI can't walk on a back of a 5Ton truck while human players can.

I think it is. A feature like that is a lot less useful if only human players can make use of it. In single player mode it's almost useless.

Shooting from fixed positions however would be much less complicated to program AI to do.

Maybe a combination of both, where human players move around freely but AI use fixed positions would be possible.

They can't properly use tanks, choppers, AT weapons, they can't hide when under sniper or tank fire, they can't make the simple decision when to fight and when not to... Just add it to the list, no biggie.

Maybe a combination of both, where human players move around freely but AI use fixed positions would be possible.

Yes, that was exactly waht im talking about... everything else i can't really imagine....

Because, how should AI "know" how to act on the back of a 5Ton truck with 12 others?

I bet they would block each other and just "turning slowly left and right" or just looking around and get wasted like in Arma1 rofl.gif

Quote[/b] ]They can't properly use tanks, choppers, AT weapons, they can't hide when under sniper or tank fire, they can't make the simple decision when to fight and when not to... Just add it to the list, no biggie.

Well and as Infantry they are dumb as well (in default Arma non-modded though).

BUT: OFP/ARMA's AI is certainly the "best" AI out there in any game on this planet.... they are not scripted by the one which places them on the map..... tounge2.gifwink_o.gif

Yes, that was exactly waht im talking about... everything else i can't really imagine....

Because, how should AI "know" how to act on the back of a 5Ton truck with 12 others?

They said that moving around vehicles was out of question,

but shooting could be doable ;

so, AI & humans will have the same "survival-level" on the battlefield.

They can't properly use tanks, choppers, AT weapons, they can't hide when under sniper or tank fire, they can't make the simple decision when to fight and when not to... Just add it to the list, no biggie.

Disagree. They can still use just about all the same features as the player, it's just that they don't do it as well because they are not human.

Disagree. They can still use just about all the same features as the player, it's just that they don't do it as well because they are not human.

Following that logic, the AI could still ride vehicles like players, just not as well. Or the other way, the players should be taken away all the options to take weapons from ground as they see fit, to take cover inside houses on their own iniative, to wander off to a random direction and disobey all oreders etc, because AI can't do it.

too bad there will not be a "Sea State" for the ships that we can land on.

Or the other way, the players should be taken away all the options to take weapons from ground as they see fit, to take cover inside houses on their own iniative, to wander off to a random direction and disobey all oreders etc, because AI can't do it.

No. AI can do all those things, just not necessarily on their own initiative.

Ridiculous argument icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote[/b] ]Following that logic, the AI could still ride vehicles like players, just not as well.

Which is why it was suggested that they be able to shoot from fixed positions, even if the player has the ability to move around.

I think that landing a chopper on a ship shouldnt be that difficult...I think it could be done by triggering a position/rotation constrain on the chopper when meeting certain conditions:

- the wheels of the chopper touches the deck of the carrier and

- the chopper speed is below 10 km/h and

- the chopper is level (very low pitch, roll and yaw values)

For aircrafts it could be a preset animation (autolanding).

xmas_o.gif

Offtopic: I also think someone should fix the "Mary Poppins" ammo boxes.

Quote[/b] ]Following that logic, the AI could still ride vehicles like players, just not as well.

Which is why it was suggested that they be able to shoot from fixed positions, even if the player has the ability to move around.

All I'm trying to say is that I'd be happy to have the feature even for players only rather than not having it at all.

Just like I rather have the option for players to enter houses, even if AI doesn't have any interest in such. The point that you can order them in manually doesn't mean your enemies in single player will ever do that so to be fAIr, players would have to be removed the option.