Sign in to follow this  
Jennik

forums.bistudio.com PUBLIC BETA

No one said the current layout is final. There might be some improvements but as far as I can tell the spacing between the posts might not change much, except if the admins are able to move the avatars and stuff to the left side.

After all, there is a reason why there is "PUBLIC BETA TEST!" on top of the new forums.  wink_o.gif

Ok. Avatars and stuff being above the posts instead of to the left is the only part that bugs me.

But overall it's not bad smile_o.gif

Great to see the new forums. Another benefit will be the clickable thumbnails (this forum had a 50 byte limit making it unusable). I hope we don't have the 5 image limit when using thumbnails. New forums definitely needs to allow themes.

I am curious why so many of the more complex posts got truncated, corrupted and/or have incorrect BBCode tags applied? When using the exact same BBCode as original post, the post looks fine.

Eg:<ul>[*]New: Merlin post (truncated to 4454 bytes)

[*]Old: Merlin post  (22574 bytes).

Incorrect BBCodes examples: <table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

• is being mapped to <ul>

maps to <span style=>

Presumably the old forum will still exist in read-only mode for some time after new one is setup, so we don't need to back up our posts manually, (if they are getting truncated)?

Edit: Looks like there's a 10000 byte post limit too, (probably including links and BBCodes).

Traffic is only one very small part of it, the database is corrupted and functionality especially is awful on this current software, for example there is zero protection against spambots signing up....

I use this on a phpbb forum.

I wonder if an altered code would help you.

http://boonedocks.net/mike....on.html

We ask a simple question."whats the last 4 letters of the alphabet?".......with a 4 letter hint!

It stopped the bots in their tracks.

The new forum software has anti-spam, that's why we're moving over to it (plus a lot of the other benefits such as a decent automated warning/banning system, searching within threads etc. etc.)

Well, anything that is posted there right now will be deleted anyway, once the forum is officially transferred.

So it wouldn't make much sense to post anything there, that you care about.

But I don't understand your note regarding spam threads in the search results. I've search there a lot for old stuff (since it's faster than the old forum), but I didn't see any spam.

Could you post a complete search URL that would return those results?

Thanks.

I made a screenshot that a can upload later that day if needed.

All results are from the czech section of the board, like nobody posted anywhere else over there.

Edit:

Links removed. Working link to Spam Threads added to newer post.

I took a quick look and noticed that there are some texts which are cut off, leaving text out where there should be text.

For example a text in one user's signature which is in Finnish and has the 'ä' (a with umlaut) in one word stops where the 'ä' should begin. The rest of the text is missing.

Eventually you will have to sort it out as there's also the Czech subforum which also has characters which are not in the basic ASCII character set. You probably knew about this already, didn't you.

I once again second what rundll.exe said about the layout and scroll efficiency of this and the new forum.

Gives me thousands of virus alerts...

virjg7.th.jpg

Activate some re-captcha protection.

There are mods for every modern forum-scripts for that, or code it on your own - it's easy. Works 100%.

I`m on the safe side, that much is sure. wink_o.gif

But this kind of "posts" are nothing but Spam, probably made by bots, nothing that has to be shown up on the forums.

Activate some re-captcha protection.

There are mods for every modern forum-scripts for that, or code it on your own - it's easy. Works 100%.

I have a better idea: Placebo continues with the manual registration process. whistle.gif

All spam should be removed now, and bots permbanned.

That is really funny...

First everyone complained about the old forums. It was said "we need a new one, no matter what"

Now there is finally a new forum, even the accounts were transferred successfully so no one must register again.

And now everyone wants the old forums back.

Ehh sorry?

It's a completely new forum software. It's not possible to make it appear exactly the same like this one. Get used to it I say.

Thats not true. I applaud for the new forums in terms of functionality and speed (in firefox atleast), but the layout is what bothers me (and many others it seems) the most.

And in modern website the layout is completely seperate from the code for the functionality, so it can be changed to make it even better...

And I know its not final, thats why I tried to make some constructive comments, but it seems thats useless...

Thats not true. I applaud for the new forums in terms of functionality and speed (in firefox atleast), but the layout is what bothers me (and many others it seems) the most.

And in modern website the layout is completely seperate from the code for the functionality, so it can be changed to make it even better...

And I know its not final, thats why I tried to make some constructive comments, but it seems thats useless...

W0lle's reply wasn't directly to you, your feedback is constructive and useful and substantive, some of the other is not. I also don't like the current layout, and don't like the size of each post, and don't like the nick/avatar stuff being top right of the post rather than middle left and have shared such an opinion on our moderator's forum for the issue smile_o.gif

Ok, then its clear  smile_o.gif

However Im a bit scared by your sig now  wow_o.gif

Hey, I've tried to make a new account on the new forums and it says my email address is already in use crazy_o.gif I see the profiles have been transferred over, but when i enter my details (As in this profile) It doesn't recognize them?

Hey, I've tried to make a new account on the new forums and it says my email address is already in use  crazy_o.gif I see the profiles have been transferred over, but when i enter my details (As in this profile) It doesn't recognize them?

Of course the email is already in use when you have an account with it already. wink_o.gif

Have you used the 'retrieve password' option? The passwords have not been transferred and you need to use that in order to use your account there.

rundll.exe

It wasn't my intention to attack you directly. My bad though I should have used "First many people complained about the old forums." instead of "First everyone complained about the old forums." smile_o.gif

Hey Wolle, I have tried that but my email address is tied to a different account which I have no knowledge of creating. Essentially I assumed that this account "Infam0us" would be tied to my email address.

But instead my email address has a different account tied to it "connorthegreat18" on the Beta forums, and to my knowledge I have never made it.

The best way to solve this issue imo is to delete that profile entirely, this allowing me to create a new one with my current username.

Some anti spam stuff, works fine on 6thSense and ACE vBulletin Forums:

[*] http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=183329

[*] http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=181818

Especially the 2nd one seems to have resolved it all together :P

Re the layout; this is all very flexible in vBulletin, there are also many styles and templates around.

However, with or without another Style, the new forums will be so much more joy to operate than these old 'rotten' forums;

I don't mind if any Style changes would take a while until after the opening of the forums, or even never come  thumbs-up.gif

(Free Styles: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=230)

Something I posted over at the new forums:

Quote[/b] ]Totally wicked you guys used vBulletin; Basically the rolls royce under the bulletin boards biggrin_o.gif

I guess some color/template tweaking, and maybe the possibility to switch between normal and vertical postbit would make it even more sweet.

I guess you guys noticed but to be sure: <a href="www.vbulletin.org" target='_blank'>www.vbulletin.org</a> is full of easy installable hacks for great extensions and possibilities; might be interesting to have a look aswell smile_o.gif

Oh and personally I would love to have at least 1 subforum level visible, like the arma1/arma2 forums; you can not see if there are new posts atm from the main view.

(Incase it's useful: which can be achieved by setting the forums as forums instead of categories, but then setting them to closed for posting)

Thanks a lot, I was afraid there would never come a new forum for BI...

But this is good smile_o.gif

Something to add to that:

It would be cool if we could select which languages we wish to display on the forums, and even which games and which games not, though that's less important.

ATM, "New Posts" would display new posts from Czech and English boards all alike, which is kinda less useful to either of the language groups, depending on their interest and language skills smile_o.gif

Another example are the OFP Boards, which might not be important to (most) ArmA guys, and later on both OFP and ArmA boards might just be useless to follow when you're on ArmA2.

In this case it would be cool if we could select "Public Joinable Groups", so that when we are in those groups, we either disable the access to those forums for this account, or you actually enable the access for this account.

We use the latter option over at 6thSense, and even though it brings some confusion as ppl will only see all forums as unregistered members, but when they are registered, they have to join seperate groups to view the different forums, it still is a great solution because you allow ppl to shield themselves from unnecessary 'noise' and this comes good on the whole for any returning / (near)daily forum user smile_o.gif

My previous issue has still not been solved, sent a PM to Placebo and recieved no reply. Can a Admin help me remove the account that has been automatically transferred for me please. xmas_o.gif

Many thanks to all who shared theirs opinions and suggestions, we appreciate it! The final migration is coming and we will try to fulfill most of the objections.   wink_o.gif

The new forum software has anti-spam, that's why we're moving over to it (plus a lot of the other benefits such as a decent automated warning/banning system, searching within threads etc. etc.)

Hmm, antispam is good thing, but you are not allowed to post more then 3 smiles*. I understand that posting more then certain number of pictures should make some problems. So if there is a possibility, separate the counter of smiles and counter of images.

EDIT:pictures or smiles smile_o.gif

Hmm, antispam is good thing, but you are not allowed to post more then 3 smiles. I understand that posting more then certain number of pictures should make some problems. So if there is a possibility, separate the counter of smiles and counter of images.

Trivial stuff like that is easily fixed, 3 is probably just the default setting.

Hmm, antispam is good thing, but you are not allowed to post more then 3 smiles. I understand that posting more then certain number of pictures should make some problems. So if there is a possibility, separate the counter of smiles and counter of images.

I think 3 smileys per post are enough, max. 4 will be ok.

Maybe time for some people to learn that one dancing banana or smashing head rather then 5 of them is enough. wink_o.gif

I understand that posting more then certain number of pictures should make some problems. So if there is a possibility, separate the counter of smiles and counter of images.

I think 3 smileys per post are enough, max. 4 will be ok.

Maybe time for some people to learn that one dancing banana or smashing head rather then 5 of them is enough.  wink_o.gif

That's not what he's saying. The software rightly says your only allowed 3 smileys, but it doesn't differentiate between smileys and user posted images, so it won't allow more than 3 embedded images in a post.

That's not what he's saying. The software rightly says your only allowed 3 smileys, but it doesn't differentiate between smileys and user posted images, so it won't allow more than 3 embedded images in a post.

I didn't wrote it correctly. Yes there is one counter for user posted images and smiles, so if you post 3 images (which isn't as unusual) you can no more post smiles (or reversely). Thats the case.