Sign in to follow this  
Jennik

forums.bistudio.com PUBLIC BETA

Some HTML escapes are in clear, like " at least.

More here.

SeaMonkey 1.1.13 Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.18) Gecko/20081031 SeaMonkey/1.1.13

I like the guru3d.com forum style:

Is there any chance you can make all the Posters information (Avatar, Join Date, Rank, Posts etc etc) Instead of being on top of the post, to be to the left of the post, like here. I feel it's much easier to read, and I'm used to that. You can change it in vB, but I can't remember how. If you can, that would be awesome smile_o.gif (It's the only annoying thing about vB v3)

Is there any chance you can make all the Posters information (Avatar, Join Date, Rank, Posts etc etc) Instead of being on top of the post, to be to the left of the post, like here. I feel it's much easier to read, and I'm used to that. You can change it in vB, but I can't remember how. If you can, that would be awesome smile_o.gif (It's the only annoying thing about vB v3)

Yes pleaaaase. Right now I dont like the look of the new forums at all. A general rule would be to make the messages of different people go as close together as then can get. Really speeds up the reading. (and we are good in making lengthy text-threads tounge2.gif ) I think these old forums had more or less the perfect layout.

Personally I had some problems with readability (light yellow text on light grey background and some other unfortunate color combinations). I'm coming to an age where I depend on more contrast apparently and I don't want to lean forward all the time biggrin_o.gif Thus I hope the forum software will allow for custom color schemes or skins.

My thoughts exactly.

Yes pleaaaase. Right now I dont like the look of the new forums at all. A general rule would be to make the messages of different people go as close together as then can get. Really speeds up the reading. (and we are good in making lengthy text-threads tounge2.gif ) I think these old forums had more or less the perfect layout.

Yeah exactly. It is much easier for readability.

Also - Can you make it so posts older than 30 days are shown? (i.e All posts shown?)

I like the board organization on this forum better. The columns are:

Topic Title -Topic Starter - Replies - Views - Last Action

And it looks better.

Also, I think the theme could my improved. As for the background, anything except green camo would be fine. Personally, I suggest gray camo, (without too much contrast between the different shades) and then give everything else a blue theme, almost like this forum. To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of having images as backgrounds, that's why I suggested a pattern instead. However, appearance is highly subjective, and it's your board so do as you like.

Anyways, I also want to mention that the Arma 2, OFP, ect forums on the main page should be the same whitish blue as the other boards. It looks a bit strange having them be red.

EDIT: I just realized that the new forum matches bistudio.com so I guess I am to understand that the colors, for the most part, will remain the same. That's fine because I like the knew color scheme better than the standard blue on this forum.

Looks good !!

But please don't go too LOUD with colours and backgrounds. Too hard for long term viewing and unprofessional.

The content is meant to be "exciting", not its presentation wink_o.gif

Nice job anyhow, keep up the good work.

Is it just me, or is this scrolling in the forums verrry slow in IE(7) ?

In FF it works normal, but in IE you can clearly see the processing of the page from top to bottom.

Im pretty sure this is due to the transparency of the backround, and maybe some quirks mode you used to make it work in IE... If you cant fix it, Id say lose the fancy backrounds and make it just solid grey/blueish

Also - Can you make it so posts older than 30 days are shown? (i.e All posts shown?)

You can choose that yourself in your options.

I agree. Especially the last part about the perfect layout of this forum. It's not so cluttered with signatures and avatars and all these things.

This new forum code have the option to have for example the Last X topics you posted in in a little display at the top of the page, and hotlinked to those Topics?

Now THAT would be nice !

Is it just me, or is this scrolling in the forums verrry slow in IE(7) ?

In FF it works normal, but in IE you can clearly see the processing of the page from top to bottom.

Im pretty sure this is due to the transparency of the backround, and maybe some quirks mode you used to make it work in IE... If you cant fix it, Id say lose the fancy backrounds and make it just solid grey/blueish

Am I really the only one? Cant believe it, because my laptop has exactly the same (albeit less since its a tad faster)

Then another thing (I know its beta, so concider as constructive feedback): Screen efficiency. The new forums are horrible to read if you ask me, Threadds take more then 150% more scrolling as here.  The screen isnt filled efficiently.

A few pics what I mean (same topic/posts):

NEW:

old.jpg

OLD:

new.jpg

Now compare!:

compare.jpg

Look how many space there is between posts on the new one... really useless!

A few tips:

-Move the Username/postcount/avatar to the left (anticipate for the widescreen trend)

-Move the Quote button to the post header or the signature. It takes a whole line now

-Lose the line with the single image (top of the post in grey area) it seems useless.

-lose the margin between two posts. The red bar is clear enoug already.

Agreed. The layout on this forum is much better, not so much space wasted and it just seems nicer to read.

That is really funny...

First everyone complained about the old forums. It was said "we need a new one, no matter what"

Now there is finally a new forum, even the accounts were transferred successfully so no one must register again.

And now everyone wants the old forums back.

Ehh sorry?

It's a completely new forum software. It's not possible to make it appear exactly the same like this one. Get used to it I say.

I agree with W0lle,

The new forums are a big step for BIS and I think it is a good one,

'oh-noess thezz a gapp'

Pathetic.

*Read the title - BETA*

If you are worried about too much traffic on this 'old fashion' forum, can't you just change the server, instead of the design and software as well?

I like this forum, never said I don't - can we keep it please?

Traffic is only one very small part of it, the database is corrupted and functionality especially is awful on this current software, for example there is zero protection against spambots signing up....

so that's why you had to register everybody manually?

sucks.

About the layout, there are always other skins that I believe change the layout.

I think that the PM limit should definatley be increased to at least 300.

First everyone complained about the old forums.

Not everyone !  tounge2.gif

Maybe just a few themes for ppl to pick from?

Prob just me used to one thing! smile_o.gif

Every time i start the search for new posts over there, all that comes up are spam threads that are ignored by the mods.

I have no idea why that is the only stuff that gets shown. huh.gif

Does nobody post there at all, besides some people (spambots?) that post spam?

Well, anything that is posted there right now will be deleted anyway, once the forum is officially transferred.

So it wouldn't make much sense to post anything there, that you care about.

But I don't understand your note regarding spam threads in the search results. I've search there a lot for old stuff (since it's faster than the old forum), but I didn't see any spam.

Could you post a complete search URL that would return those results?

Thanks.

That is really funny...

First everyone complained about the old forums. It was said "we need a new one, no matter what"

Now there is finally a new forum, even the accounts were transferred successfully so no one must register again.

And now everyone wants the old forums back.

Ehh sorry?

It's a completely new forum software. It's not possible to make it appear exactly the same like this one. Get used to it I say.

Who wants the old forums back? The complaints are just about the layout huh.gif

The software may be better, but the layout could use improvement.

First everyone complained about the old forums.

Not everyone !  tounge2.gif

Maybe just a few themes for ppl to pick from?

Prob just me used to one thing!  smile_o.gif

Same here mate, but looking at this old and crappy forum I'm more than happy to switch over (you don't have to moderate that thing). smile_o.gif

Maddmatt

No one said the current layout is final. There might be some improvements but as far as I can tell the spacing between the posts might not change much, except if the admins are able to move the avatars and stuff to the left side.

After all, there is a reason why there is "PUBLIC BETA TEST!" on top of the new forums. wink_o.gif