Sign in to follow this  
ohara

New BIS service available

After A2 I will try to create special island for A2 that will show what is possible to do in real time in visualisation of vegetation. High detail with high density and variability.Just to look not play there.

That sounds good, will be nice for the Treehuggers and screenshot addicts biggrin_o.gif

Interested people might also take a look at GroGra (Growth Grammars) (a colleague was a student there and pointed me to the webpage when I showed him the Linda page). I am not sure, but from what I read on the Linda page and on the GroGra page, (to an extend) they use the same base technology (an enhanced L-System).

They have also some free tools that you might play around with, though I don't know whether it is possible to create anything useful with respect to ArmA(2) modding...

Interesting might be, that they also use it to 'generate' completely different things, e.g. buildings, terrain and more.

P.S. This is not meant as PR for an alternative product tounge2.gif

Interested people might also take a look at GroGra (Growth Grammars) (a colleague was a student there and pointed me to the webpage when I showed him the Linda page). I am not sure, but from what I read on the Linda page and on the GroGra page, (to an extend) they use the same base technology (an enhanced L-System).

They have also some free tools that you might play around with, though I don't know whether it is possible to create anything useful with respect to ArmA(2) modding...

Interesting might be, that they also use it to 'generate' completely different things, e.g. buildings, terrain and more.

P.S. This is not meant as PR for an alternative product   tounge2.gif

Wow, this one is really amazing:

alder.jpg

They are from a german technical university...

Branching on that tree is completly unbiological, in europe we have just two kin of branching behavior on leaf trees, parent with three or two child. But what i did not find is anything about generating of LODs for RT purposes.

Excellent, to be honest I haven't seen other software that can make such realistic trees for games as Linda. Awesome piece of programming (for one person?)  smile_o.gif

BTW, is Linda also capable of adding 3d fruits like apples or coconuts to branches?  smile_o.gif

Yeah, those trees look stunning. Will ArmAII trees be on an equal level ? ...I would just go sightseeing.

5000 polys sound alot never had a look at the ArmA tree polycount are they equal?

But as you say 5000 polys and then you have a look at those dense ArmA 2 forests that gives you an idea how good the engine can handle those polycounts. thumbs-up.gif

Would be interesting to know what the average polycount is at a given frame or doesn´t the polycount weight that much performance wise?

In far distance there are lods with hundrets or less polygons. For near models are more important for performance overal surface then polycount. We are able to have about milion faces in scene without any problems.

This might be a stupid question as it probably depends on the tree, but when you say about 5000 polys, could you possibly give a rough estimate of how much of those polys are alpha'd and how much is standard diffuse, normal spec?

edit: Also, can it be used to generate flat tilable textures like grass and/or low lying plants on a plane and distrubute them in a natural but tilable fashion?

Amazing work, really hope you break into the market with Linda, I mean less speedtree and more Linda

You might wanna fix your url links under the Video section.

One can still download them but some of the links are duplicates.

Cheers.

yep i noticed that too, it's just mistake in copy and paste link smile_o.gif

but these files are there (just need manually set the FTP and filename)

That 3rd video with the seasons had my jaw dropped for a longer moment..

Does it indicate there will be seasons in ArmA2? trippel.gif

...or is it impossible to change those parameters on the fly once the stuff is added to the game?

Does it indicate there will be seasons in ArmA2? trippel.gif

...or is it impossible to change those parameters on the fly once the stuff is added to the game?

I'm not from BIS so i might be wrong, but in the interview with Ivan Buchta he mentioned that it would be also some kind of "his dream", if you would have seasons ingame, which alters texures/particles dynamically...

So at the Interview-point in 2008 it was not possible (for Arma2)....

Linda is a nice piece of software! I guess that implementing seasons RT would raise some serious problems, at least for me. First the masses of vegetation Real-Virtuality visualizes. Then the approach you would take: just switching, or cool blending. Where blending means that you can either just blend and fade some textures during night, or use gradient toning to make them look like aging slowly during a certain period of time. Must be looking freakin' nice! However, you have still forget that autuum to winter means, that leafs are falling off the tree. Another problem, just for trees... and then another one for all the other stuff. I find it pretty hard to do wink_o.gif

Wow, if BIS got it working RT somehow, i would take ArmAII as my new personal 'Landscape Simulator', like OFP sometimes was to me - but now as the awesomazing edition!!

even if there is no change in objects depending on seasons the new lighting will help the seasons have a bigger difference in feel.