Sign in to follow this  
MK1

Pre-Visitor woes

Hi,

I've recently started converting my old OFP maps to Arma along with some new ones I've planned to make. However, I'm stuck with a bunch of questions even after going through the tutorials and looking at the BI sample stuff. Creating maps for Arma seems to require a lot more knowledge than working with OFP even before the actual work begins so I'd appreciate some tips and answers.

Firstly, I've downloaded all my map data as DEMs (GeoTIFFs). The first problem is with Wilbur. I can get a map with a lot of detail loaded from 3DEM without problems but a medium sized map with a bunch of small islands simply appears empty. Why? However, if I select an even smaller portion, ie one single island around 256x256 pixels it imports perfectly.

The second problem is with the satellite textures. I know people suggest one to use Google Earth, but how can I get a 2048x2048 texture out from it when you can only save an area the area size of your screen?

Another thing I'd like to know is how does one determine the correct height of the sat texture? I mean, you could always take a texture from higher but then it gets all blurred if you scale it to 2048 pixels.

Would it be possible to skip this process and simply apply the textures by hand?

My final question is how does one measure the size of a map in comparison with the Arma cell sizes? I've got a 6000x6000 area of San Francisco of which I'm using a portion. How do I know which map size does it correspond to so that the proportions are maintained?

I know that's a lot of questions but I really haven't found a proper answer for these issues from other topics. From my experience with OFP I know that creating the rest of the island isn't much of a task other than of patience, but not being able to even get started is really frustrating.

Any help would be highly appreciated!

May I ask which OFP maps you did?

If you want to convert them, we will be able to help you. smile_o.gif

May I ask which OFP maps you did?

If you want to convert them, we will be able to help you.  smile_o.gif

Aside from one which was released only as a beta I didn't finish them because of the OFP engine limitations.

The beta was East Cotentin peninsula/Normandy, containing only a very detailed town at that time. The rest were different islands and atolls from the Pacific war.

If you are interested in conversion help, send me some contact

of yours to chat via PM (like jabber, skype, icq).

Well, PM sent, but I'd still like to continue discussing these topics here as they might prove useful for others too..

If you are looking for specific sat data, if you save the location as a KML file, I can get you 4800x4800 High Quality Sat Images and prepare them for Sat_LCO for you.

Wow, that sounds great! I'll PM you the details.