Sign in to follow this  
kocrachon

No Army?

So, one concern I have, is that this game has gone Pure USMC and Dropped the US Army completely? Does this mean that I no longer have my strykers, my M4A1s, and so forth?

Not to make a big deal about it, but I liked the Joint Operations that ArmA 1 had, especially being retired army. So I sure hope they didn't remove all Army completely...

Well ArmA had no marines ( ok until the last patch ) so if there are only Marines this time it seems fair to me.

Besides, will not take long until the first great Army units will be released or converted.

There were marines in a sense, the only thing that made them NOT be marines were the uniform, however, there were Marine Aircraft and guns in it. The M1A1 in the game is Marine, all Army uses the M1A2, the AH-1, Marines. I would like a better joint op in these games.

So, one concern I have, is that this game has gone Pure USMC and Dropped the US Army completely? Does this mean that I no longer have my strykers, my M4A1s, and so forth?

Not to make a big deal about it, but I liked the Joint Operations that ArmA 1 had, especially being retired army. So I sure hope they didn't remove all Army completely...

In place of the strikers you have the lav25 and the m4a1s you have... m4a1s.

The AAV7 is the closest equivilant to the Stryker, it has a M2 and a 40mm GL in an enclosed turret, very nice!

It wouldn't make sense not to have the Army in this game, given the amount of land and limited coastline. It would have been better to have just the USMC in ARMA and just USArmy in ARMA 2.

What are Russians going to be? Airborne-infantry, special-troops or regular. Seem like they wield bit of optics (like Cobra), but gear seem pretty grunt(-ish). So i'd guess airborne.

as direct counterpart the best would be Morpeh / Marines, take a unit that has para qualification and you got the right counterparts.

However judging by the gear the russian soldiers use they look rather like Motostreloks / Mot.Inf.

But what about the AH-1 and MH-1 little birds? I heard the game is suppose to be forward compatible, but how is that so if they take away my AH6 and MH6, because there is no way the UH-1 Huey compares to the H-6 series.

But what about the AH-1 and MH-1 little birds? I heard the game is suppose to be forward compatible, but how is that so if they take away my AH6 and MH6, because there is no way the UH-1 Huey compares to the H-6 series.

What does that have anything to do with forward compatibility? And do you mean backward compatibility with ArmA?

BTW, the Ah-1 is a Marines vehicle, not an Army one.

The terrain for ArmA II would actually make the most sense out of any of the games to use the Army. The other two were islands where as this one is an actual land mass. The marines work too but it makes more sense to put Army in this one than in the other two. I find that kind of odd but I am looking forward to the Marines too.

There'll be no problem at all to have the Army's AH-6 and MH-6 Little Birds in ArmA2. All that is needed is an addon including the models and configs.

If BIS already have MH-6, Strykers and whatnot in ArmA1, why not make them available in ArmA2 if the configs will work?

I have no problems using addons or replacements, but having this content there (even if it doesn't look too good) makes sure you can make an addon-free mission that will work on public servers; nice to have a user made addon/replacement, but not absolutely a requirement.

Because they have no place what so ever in the campaign since we're USMC and not the Army, and they have to be space economic. They want to squeeze that game onto one DVD, and to do so they can't load it full of stuff that people want in the editor.

An option is of course to release it either in an early patch, or in a volountary 'ArmA' package containing stuff from the first game that isn't in the second, but unless they have lots of unused space on that DVD I can't see them putting it there.

as direct counterpart the best would be Morpeh / Marines, take a unit that has para qualification and you got the right counterparts.

However judging by the gear the russian soldiers use they look rather like Motostreloks / Mot.Inf.

Yeah. Motor infantry would probably be most logical explanation.

Well, Arma2 is going to be Warfare sim, not a game about soldiers playing PSP and sending Txt Msgs to their friends on battlefield.

That's why we have Marines, not Army biggrin_o.gif

What's more, In PVP mode ACU is very unfair. In real life ACU is really good camo but in game it's hard to make it work.

And if we have Marpat and some opfor in wdl, then it's ok.

How to recognise? By model. Or try to play as a team so that you know where every member of your team is.

What's more, there are so many games about US Army already, this is Marines time biggrin_o.gif

for army we have addonmakers , CMD have super units, just turn them in regular army and we have "army", importing Stryker and etc. is not a problem too when we will have addon-tools support for new game (if P3D from A1 is good for A2)

i don't care if there are USMC or Army, as it can be made by addon, the only thing important - included units must be realistic, rest will be done by addonmakers very soon after release

for army we have addonmakers , CMD have super units, just turn them in regular army and we have "army", importing Stryker and etc. is not a problem too when we will have addon-tools support for new game (if P3D from A1 is good for A2)

i don't care if there are USMC or Army, as it can be made by addon, the only thing important - included units must be realistic, rest will be done by addonmakers very soon after release

Well... I can't agree with you. For me Arma2 must be great without addons. The only thing that addons should be for is to add new things to suit every taste.

I hope that Arma2 will be way better than any stuff released to Arma so far. Also I hope for some real MP gameplay. The full editable of game modes is one of the major pros of this game but sometimes affect dynamism of MP gameplay. Multiple things like dragging wounded (thanks bis) can make It very very dynamic and interesting.

Well, Arma2 is going to be Warfare sim, not a game about soldiers playing PSP and sending Txt Msgs to their friends on battlefield.

That's why we have Marines, not Army biggrin_o.gif

What's more, In PVP mode ACU is very unfair. In real life ACU is really good camo but in game it's hard to make it work.

And if we have Marpat and some opfor in wdl, then it's ok.

How to recognise? By model. Or try to play as a team so that you know where every member of your team is.

What's more, there are so many games about US Army already, this is Marines time biggrin_o.gif

Really? More games these days focus around Mariens now, the only legendary games out there that focus on Army anymore is Americas Army (made by the army) the Ghost Recon Franchise, and then ArmA 1.

Which is sad, because the Army has the largest Special Operation Forces units, perform more SF missions, has the largest ground force, the most modern ground force (uses newer tanks and IFV/APCs.)

Then again what should I expect, after all my time in the Army I still see how the media makes the Marines seem like they do all the work, and the Marines believe it themselves. First to the fight? Tell that to teh 82nd Airborne that droped in behind enemy lines before the marines touched the shores in Iraq.

ANYWAYS back on topic.

ArmA 1 was a joint ops game. It had Marines AND Airforce AND Army. I don't see why ArmA 2 had to go so heavy into Marines. Even ArmA 1 had moments in it where the Army soldiers were getting help from marines (such as the cobras saving the shores).

I am just kind of tired of games putting Forces in the site, and not making it more of a joint forces, especially with the way the military is gearing up to unifying all of the units better.

It's not off topic HavocDemon...

More games focus on Army and I can list some of them.

Americas Army (the most popular I think)

Arma

Full Spectrum Warrior series

Close Combat MW

GRAW and GR series

Delta Force series

Conflict series

And so on and so on....

About Marines... well...

SOCOM series

CC First to Fight

And the best (I hope!!! ) Arma2 wink_o.gif

What's more, I do agree with you that modern games present marines, who are the best world's troops, but I think that serious people can understand a joke biggrin_o.gif

About Arma2, You know... it's hard to include Airforce, army, marines, navy on 1 dvd. If you know any more games presenting Marines or Army, I am looking forward to a PM from you. Really smile_o.gif

[Edit]

Forgot to add best Army game...

Operation Flashpoint

I dont think it really matters... as long as the units (whether US army or Marines or Zimbabwean army,) are great to look at and realistic. I dont care which side I fight as.. ie: I would prefer to play as the good guys, and in ARMA2, the "good guys" are US marines. so thats fine.

People shouldnt worry about whether the Police( that would be an interesting game)are the standard soldiers or marines or whatever.

what im trying to say is its no big deal... as long as its a good game smile_o.giftounge2.gifbiggrin_o.gif

ArmA was (prior to Warfare) Army, and ArmA2 will be USMC, I get that. But having more content without the need for addon gives greater flexibility to the mission designer. I produce mission(s) (ehh, mostly modifying Domination for own clan use) and I will never make it so that addons are required. That is, I do use the new Warfare units since everyone has got them by now, but nothing from QG. For public servers, a mission needs to remain addon free unless something happens to enable automatic downloading and installation of addons prior to joining. But I really don't see that happening anytime soon.

Point being; even though the single player campaign doesn't utilize every vehicle in the game, it opens up the possibilities to create even better public friendly multiplayer missions. USMC identification on a Stryker? I wouldn't mind, who knows what the future will bring. When we DO know, we could maybe use a replacement addon for those who wants it to replace the Stryker looks. But the class is there already to use and script for.

I'm personally not buying the space economic argument. BIS should want to deliver the best experience possible, without having to restrict due to space. Doesn't GTA4 ship on two DVDs?

I do however, buy the patching argument. I just reinstalled my machine, and getting from ArmA to v1.14 was a nightmare. Several versions to choose from (BIS! One version only, please!!wink_o.gif, and each patching took way longer than desired. Huuuuuuge files crazy_o.gif

However, I don't object too much on having these units replaced in later official patches, even though it makes it a bit hard to plan for during mission making. I.e. a lot of code had to be rewritten because after Warfare I'm now using two different engineer classes. It's doable, but not desireable.

All posts regarding GTA4 for PC has been removed.

I really don't see what GTA4 or on how many discs it comes has to do with this discussion.

I really don't see what GTA4 or on how many discs it comes has to do with this discussion.

huh.gif  It was in response to CarlGustaffa's post.

Quote[/b] ]

I'm personally not buying the space economic argument. BIS should want to deliver the best experience possible, without having to restrict due to space. Doesn't GTA4 ship on two DVDs?

The point was that ArmA 2 could ship on two DVD's if it had too much content to fit on one, like the PC version of GTA4.

Edit: If there were any posts after mine, I didn't see them.

BIS have just gone the more realistic way... Say there was a conflict over near where the ArmA 2 island is located, who would be first there from the US? The Marines... It's just the more realistic option...

But as people have already said, I'm sure some high quality army units will be made shortly after release for all the army junkies. But for me, the Marines are personally the better option to go with in this type of conflict. The MEU are the way to go with this game. BIS have done their research. smile_o.gif

Because they have no place what so ever in the campaign since we're USMC and not the Army, and they have to be space economic. They want to squeeze that game onto one DVD, and to do so they can't load it full of stuff that people want in the editor.

An option is of course to release it either in an early patch, or in a volountary 'ArmA' package containing stuff from the first game that isn't in the second, but unless they have lots of unused space on that DVD I can't see them putting it there.

There is no need to squeeze something onto one DVD, as we speak about more than 8GB of compressed files.

Think of how 7zip shrinks files down to fraction of their original size. So there is much much room one one single DVD, it`s only required that it is used wisely and not trashed with uncompressed data.