Sign in to follow this  
jackass888

tex/model/sound disortion

Ok this is a though one.

Symptoms: After ~1 minute flight over sahrani or some minutes on the ground 1. models disort and dissapear at all

example: http://hot.ee/jackass888/arma.jpg

2. then sometimes textures disappear or change..

3. sound disorts. eg plane engine= clickrrrr click rrr tounge2.gif sometimes also happens as nr1

4. If i dont alt-tab out it sometimes stalls(have to reset)

The only game this also happens is fallout3. loading a new location and making a few quick turns results in model and texture disortion.

Enabling /3gb large address aware(boot.ini) worsens the symptoms in both games. That would indicate faulty system ram..

Info: Win xp sp3, catalyst 8.11, arma 1.14,newest sound driver

e6400@3200mhz(35C),gigabyte hd4870(55c), 3gb adata ddr800(@800mhz5-5-5-18), wd 500gb hdd, q-tec 500w(1x18a) - most likely cause,creative audigy2.

Done: new hdd, format and new win install,disabled any background processes, several video drivers, also tried my old nvidia7900gs where the game worked fine previously but now the same symptoms appeared with it,NO MODS,disabled pagefile, ran memtest86+ with no errors(3x),disabled soundcard, Reinstalled games, checked temps = ok, put CPU to default clocks, other games like crysis and supreme commander run perfectly for hours.

Tried the rams seperatly. the 2gb stick was all the same and with the 1gb stick it just lagged very badly.

video of problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpxheffryUM (also note the sound error at end)

Theres just so many objections here... cant be videocard- tried another card, cant be ram- ran memtest, cant be software- formats&stuff... so what is it?

I am out of options banghead.gif

Before i buy some 200$ new psu and still fail, has anyone other advice?

What about your mainboard? You didn't even mentioned it in your specs. I would try some BIOS fiddling (default values, fail-safe settings, worse RAM timing and everything related, new BIOS if nothing works) before blaming PSU.

mama is gigabyte 965p-ds3 rev3.3. i have tried default bios settings and bios is updated.. but there is a new available. so i will try new bios asap. ram i have even tried 6-6-6-20 tounge2.gif

status update: newest bios with fail-safe settings... see results

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFXk4JcsF6g

doesnt the av8 engine sound wonderful? *tearing out soundcard*

edit again: ofcourse it didnt help

Got the same mainboard, same soundcard, same winxp, same ram. Game runs perfectly.

Differences on my side:

- Nvidia Gtx260

- BeQuiet Powerunit 550W

You sure 500W are enough and your powerunit isn't unstable / of low quality? Maybe google whether other ppl have problems with it.

I had serious problems getting my system to run stable in the past. That was before i found ppl had problems with a BeQuiet 550 & gigabyte board & NV 9850. Changed to another NVidia (8800 GTS back then) and everything was fine.

Unfortunately, all of the memory tests that I know of, the microsoft one, memtest86, and memtest86+, were all designed quite some time ago for use with x86 computers and sdram or something. I would imagine that if you get an error in any of those programs, you definitely have a problem, but if you get no errors it does not mean you don't have one. I have been having some dramatic memory errors including the computer not being able to boot it's so messed up. Those memory testers don't detect any problem, but when I pull the bad dimms, the computer runs normally. This is their a memory problem or a memory channel problem, both of which should register in the mem test as bad ram.

So, if you had no errors in memtest86, it does not rule out bad ram or a bad motherboard.

oh new stuff biggrin_o.gif yes my power supply wasnt good enough(caused restarts) but it didnt cause this problem. got now a 700w ocz and new 4gb ram.. both didnt help. But i somehow managed to avoid these problems by installing a 64bit windows xp and arma newest patch. strange that the problem was still present with 1.04 version.

I also tested another graphicscard in 32bit os and the problem didnt appear, however the game was running 1fps at that old card and i dont think its a valid test when all the other system parts were just waiting for the gpu.

The problem is gone for now but i am afraid it may return like last time. So further ideas are welcome.

Thanks!

Might have been a video/audio/chipset driver problem.

Best advice i can give to people is:

When you get you pc in a decent working order, make a ghostimage of the systempartition. Then if you ever run into problems like these, you can make another image and restore the old one for testing purposes.

This can save you weeks of troubleshooting. Also newer drivers ARE NOT ALLWAYS BETTER. If you configuration works fine, there may not be a reason to change driver versions.