Sign in to follow this  
Jennik

ARMA 2 In-game HD Video released

The one thing that will stop me getting ARMA2 is the AI at this stage, seeing as that's the guts of the reason this sim exists ... having and enemy to fight. I would deffo need a demo before I actually get the game to check out the AI.

..but, but... they have DOGS! ... and HALO para jumps...  Isn't that why we all enjoy playing games like OFP and ARMA?

In all honesty, I totally agree with you.  The trailer looked nice, but I saw absolutely nothing in it that will influence my decision on weather to get this game or not.  

Peace,

DreDay

What about the improved campaign, moving over low obstacles, nicer graphics, and improved animations?

Personally, I find those nice to have; but only secondary to the main issues that had plagued OFP and made ARMA a bore for me - poor AI, poor team management, poor weapons handling, lack of fortified positions, lack of MOUT tactics/commands, etc...

For me, even the best grafix and sounds in the world tend to get very tiresome unless there is some intellectual challenge to the game as well.  At this point in my life, I have much better things to do than simply running around the virtual world and blowing stuff up with little regard for troop deployment and tactics.  Personally I just don't get any seance of accomplishment from that; besides there are games that do it much better than ARMA.  I think that realism was always the strong suit of the BIS games and I am dissapointed not to see any major improvements in that area.  But hey, to each his own...

Peace,

DreDay

The one thing that will stop me getting ARMA2 is the AI at this stage, seeing as that's the guts of the reason this sim exists ... having and enemy to fight. I would deffo need a demo before I actually get the game to check out the AI.

..but, but... they have DOGS! ... and HALO para jumps...  Isn't that why we all enjoy playing games like OFP and ARMA?

In all honesty, I totally agree with you.  The trailer looked nice, but I saw absolutely nothing in it that will influence my decision on weather to get this game or not.  

Peace,

DreDay

What about the improved campaign, moving over low obstacles, nicer graphics, and improved animations?

Personally, I find those nice to have; but only secondary to the main issues that had plagued OFP and made ARMA a bore for me - poor AI, poor team management, poor weapons handling, lack of fortified positions, lack of MOUT tactics/commands, etc...

For me, even the best grafix and sounds in the world tend to get very tiresome unless there is some intellectual challenge to the game as well.  At this point in my life, I have much better to do than simply running around the virtual world than just running around the virtual world and blowing stuff up with little regard for troop deployment and tactics.  Personally I just don't get any seance of accomplishment from that; besides there are games that do it much better than ARMA.  I think that realism was always the strong suit of the BIS games and I am dissapointed not to see any major improvements in that area.  But hey, to each his own...

Peace,

DreDay

You should join a tournament! 30vs30!

Way to go BIS!

You now have me programming about every spare minute i have on a fitting sequel of my addonsync tool for your marvellous game!

I think and of course hope that AI will be improved further... but according to the game-news medias, they said between GC08 and recent event at BI-Studio is already a big difference in AI behavior.

Anyway, no matter what - i want this vehicle in Arma2

(no, not seriously meant) rofl.gif

Quote[/b] ]Anyway, no matter what - i want this vehicle in Arma2

That's the most sensible thing you've posted for months!  tounge2.gif "Top speed of over 80mph" - yep i want one too  biggrin_o.gif

*Edit* On-topic... great video. Voice acting (one of my pet peeve) sounds a lot less hammy than on Arma so kudos for getting some decent actors this time around.

Yeah that video is choppy, makes it look like it has bad performance.

I know others find it annoying, I love the headbob. To me, it makes for such an immersive experience (I think it added a lot to STALKER).

I don't find it disorienting either, because before I initiate a sprint I already know (in a straight line) where I'm headed. Also, being a track runner I know that being tired and sprinting can be very disorienting in real life.

I hope it's not just Track IR but will actually be an adjustable feature that can be turned off for those whom do not like it.

I know others find it annoying, I love the headbob. To me, it makes for such an immersive experience (I think it added a lot to STALKER).

Careful about this.

In the newest release of Project Reality (BF2 realism mod) they added head movement to animations.

All in all it looks really cool, but quite a lot people get motion sickness from it: http://www.realitymod.com/forum....nt.html

I've just noticed a funny thing. In the video at 1:53 either all the russians are left-handed or the fotage is mirrored.

Careful about this.

In the newest release of Project Reality (BF2 realism mod) they added head movement to animations.

All in all it looks really cool, but quite a lot people get motion sickness from it: http://www.realitymod.com/forum....nt.html

Is it just me or does every single thing added to PR nowadays result in a fan-outcry?

Ok, I told myself I wasn't going to do this, but here it is- my in depth analyzation of the trailer.

From 0:22 to 0:39 I really love the first person view. Is this how it's going to be ingame, or is it a result of good editing for the trailer? Either way I love the head bob, I love the disoriented feeling I get when he rolls over, and I love the motion blur. It all goes great in the trailer, and even though I think it looks really good I have to ask myself whether it would work to have this ingame. Personally, I'll let BIS make that call since they're the ones with the game.

In addition, I like the chaotic sounds during those scenes. The yelling, bullet cracks, and explosion sounds in the background really make the video immersive. The dogs barking is a nice detail, and I hope to have all of these incorporated in appropriate missions when Arma II is released. Great work BIS.

0:39-0:45 is good. The explosion looks improved, though could be

. It also helps make the tank instantly turning black less prominent, though the best solution for that would to just remove it.

1:10 to 1:19 let's us hear the Doppler effect. Very nicely done.

Now during this section, (1:08 to 2:15), I've read a few complaints about the AI not responding when being shot at. This is a valid concern, though as far as we know BIS set the soldiers to 'careless' to help creating the scene be easier. On the other hand, if this was not the case, then BIS may still have a little work to do.

The woodland fight is well done. The forest has a beautiful color scheme, and it's interesting how it changes when compared to some of the other sections in the trailer. At 2:45 you can get a quick glimpse of the animated weapon, as well as the new tracers throughout this section, (and probably others too). There are two scenes the feature the boar, though there's not much to say about it. The boar looks good though we don't know much about it's AI and it's behavior. The blood in this section doesn't look too good, but as previously mentioned, we now know that it will be improved.

The last part in the video mostly shows the tanks. Some building destruction is shown, though it's presentation isn't impressive because it isn't in depth enough. 3:53 shows a scene similar to a scene shown from OFP2, which is the tank shooting a KEP. Personally, I was more impressed with OFP2's presentation, but I should mention that one major variable, which is the time of day, is different between the two scenes. It'll be interesting to see BIS' tank at night, and CodeMasters tank in real gameplay.

In the end, I am totally satisfied with what I've seen. For those complaining that not enough features were shown off or we weren't shown any uncut gameplay samples, understand the difference between a trailer and gameplay movie. Whatever the case, according to Bistudio.com there will be more "materials" released in the close future. Maybe then you will find what you're looking for.

almost everything looks fantastic sofar.. and the things that are not so good were stated to be totally wip= everything looks fantastic. I am a little worried about the ai tho... only in 1 early video they used cover and searched around buildings. Why is it that in these dozens of newer videos the ai acts so "arma1"?

Careful about this.

I'm one of those (I even become sick while playing older games like HL2 by now...) and I really hope that you can disable it.

And now for something completely different: MY in depth analyze of the trailer.jk...

Wow, dogs! Forget the AI, we have dogs! And yeah, while working on those HALO anims, please take look at MODUL's work;)

Now, seriously about the trailer:

Although not being breathtaking, it looks good, feels more ofp-ish (contains dogs), it's in HD, and makes me want to play the game right now. Oh, and yes, there are the dogs.

ps The dogs will be included in the final product.

There was a SU-25 in aircraft shelter on the background

from KA-52

hope they make a A-10C also smile_o.gif

hope not lag too much when we flying in air

can that dog attack ppl?

i can not see it if attack in your leg or arm , only running to you .

The rest look good

cya

eddyD

And now for something completely different: MY in depth analyze of the trailer.jk...

Wow, dogs! Forget the AI, we have dogs! And yeah, while working on those HALO anims, please take look at MODUL's work;)

Now, seriously about the trailer:

Although not being breathtaking, it looks good, feels more ofp-ish (contains dogs), it's in HD, and makes me want to play the game right now. Oh, and yes, there are the dogs.

ps The dogs will be included in the final product.

haha funnyguy, your funny... icon_rolleyes.gif

I think what i liked about the trailer is the first part where its first person...

From 0:22 to 0:39 I really love the first person view. Is this how it's going to be ingame, or is it a result of good editing for the trailer? Either way I love the head bob, I love the disoriented feeling I get when he rolls over, and I love the motion blur. It all goes great in the trailer, and even though I think it looks really good I have to ask myself whether it would work to have this ingame. Personally, I'll let BIS make that call since they're the ones with the game.

About the head bob/wobble again...

At 0:20-0:40 ish there's crazy wobble and also there is a light-green crosshair easily seen after the rolling.

At 0:48 however there's no real wobble? There's no crosshair but it looks like a human strafing from the truck to the helo.

The later 1st person views eg 1:25 and 2:39 looks like they're viewed from AI? No wobble there.

Would love if BIS would tell us if this was post-editing or optional or so.

At 0:20-0:40 ish there's crazy wobble and also there is a light-green crosshair easily seen after the rolling. At 0:48 however there's no real wobble? There's no crosshair but it looks like a human strafing from the truck to the helo.

Could be a difference between running and sprinting.

Careful about this.

Is it just me or does every single thing added to PR nowadays result in a fan-outcry?

seems the PR team sometimes has a nasty habit of changing things that have worked well for a long time for the sake of change. But he has a point, for the first week or so i actually got a bit disoriented before i got used to the animations, and I'd imagine some would be much more sensitive to it than me. I'd gladly sacrifice that bit of realism if it meant it wouldn't stop some people from playing the game.

DSHK on T90 :/ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

since T72 DSHK is not used !!!

it is 1938-1960 machinegun !!!!

AK 107 has wrong model, it has in real different gasp-pipe mount and corpus

BIS made AK107 like it was AK74M with different gas pipe

not true !!!

AK107 has different sight mount too:

http://club.guns.ru/images/ak107-6.jpg

not true !!!

With everything that was shown in that video, all you can do is complain about a few minor details?

icon_rolleyes.gif

not true !!!

I already pointed that out, the cosmetic difference isn't enough to warrant anything. And the dshk, they use it in and out. Russia is one of those countries where a technology change happens slowly throughout their military. Thats why their prototypes are really early dates. Besides, the m2 was made even earlier than the dshk and us americans still use it on everything.

On Wikipedia it says 1938-present. As for the T90, probably not.

Anyway, if you ever run out of exclamation marks, I've got a mountain of them.