Sign in to follow this  
Alex72

Shaky hands & blurred vision

You know what, I think its a fantastic idea and will make Arma2 fun and interesting to play, I dont really care. Its not a major issue for me. as long as it fits in with gameplay and makes the game fun, I dont mind. BI knows what its doing inlove.gif

These sort of effects can enhance gameplay in some situations, such as getting caught in an explosion, simulating shock etc.

But, there are enough 'hints' in combat (even in arma1) to tell you you're been shot at ffs. All the developers need to do is multiply those effects. Remember what it was like in OFP1 when the Shilka opened fire on your position? 'Frightening' is an bloody understatement.

More smoke/dust/particles/thuds/dings/cracks/ricochets/noise = "DANGER", that's basically all you need to tell the player ' If you move right now.. you are fecking toast mate'

The gun sights shaking would be reasonably acceptable when pinned down, but the blurred vision is about as realistic as Michael Jacksons nose.

These sort of effects can enhance gameplay in some situations, such as getting caught in an explosion, simulating shock etc.

But, there are enough 'hints' in combat (even in arma1) to tell you you're been shot at ffs. All the developers need to do is multiply those effects. Remember what it was like in OFP1 when the Shilka opened fire on your position? 'Frightening' is an bloody understatement.

More smoke/dust/particles/thuds/dings/cracks/ricochets/noise = "DANGER", that's basically all you need to tell the player ' If you move right now.. you are fecking toast mate'

The gun sights shaking would be reasonably acceptable when pinned down, but the blurred vision is about as realistic as Michael Jacksons nose.

Somebody said it's possible for the shock wave from the bullet to make your eyes blurry if it passes really close.

Quote[/b] ]mrcash,

Have you read the thread?

the effect is there to simulate emotional effects, peoples eyes dont go fuzzy if a bullet lands near them....

Yes I did, and the point still stands, its my view not yours, thanks for patronising. Im sure it wont be awfull, but switchable would be good, and like Crysis the blur value should have a slider with "off" and also servers switchable too as someone else has said.

Quote[/b] ]These sort of effects can enhance gameplay in some situations, such as getting caught in an explosion, simulating shock etc.

This scenario shoud cause the blur, having it on bullets flying past is a little O.T.T if you ask me. Just have it on explosion, shake on bullet whizz and have it on impact/injury before death. Or at least have it real subtle on bullets passing if it stays in.

Quote[/b] ]mrcash,

Have you read the thread?

the effect is there to simulate emotional effects, peoples eyes dont go fuzzy if a bullet lands near them....

Yes I did, and the point still stands, its my view not yours, thanks for patronising. Im sure it wont be awfull, but switchable would be good, and like Crysis the blur value should have a slider with "off" and also servers switchable too as someone else has said.

Quote[/b] ]These sort of effects can enhance gameplay in some situations, such as getting caught in an explosion, simulating shock etc.

This scenario shoud cause the blur, having it on bullets flying past is a little O.T.T if you ask me. Just have it on explosion, shake on bullet whizz and have it on impact/injury before death. Or at least have it real subtle on bullets passing if it stays in.

sounds good. explosions should cause the screen to blur some (maybe a tiny amount of viewshake?) bullets passing by should make your aim unsteady and cause a tunnel vision effect like

2l6qg6.jpg

Well trained units dont get that often blurred and tunnel vision during combat. Would be very bad if all soldiers get such "automatic limited vision" only because of bullets passing by. Sorry but in most shooters its overdone and more people like to switch it off before they get motion sickness and tinnitus. Someone could say: "If missions arent that good by design add such stuff and some more kids will love it."  whistle.gif

Seeing the world through you own eyes its a bit different than watching through an camera lense. Imho many developers forget that part and like to programm features closer to (action) movies. Lets see if BIS finds a way to implement such features in a proper & less (mainstream) shooter oriented way. At least have an option to switch it on and off.

Blur would be a good idea for explosions - after all, I can only imagine the disorientation. For bullets, however, I would prefer to see the system used in Red Orchestra: the supershort blacking out of the screen to simulate blinking. Absolutely fantastic. It also would be good if the simulated suppression effects were tied to the experience level - a buck private will react differently to an experienced marine.

Well trained units dont get that often blurred and tunnel vision during combat. Would be very bad if all soldiers get such "automatic limited vision" only because of bullets passing by. Sorry but in most shooters its overdone and more people like to switch it off before they get motion sickness and tinnitus. Someone could say: "If missions arent that good by design add such stuff and some more kids will love it."  whistle.gif

Seeing the world through you own eyes its a bit different than watching through an camera lense. Imho many developers forget that part and like to programm features closer to (action) movies. Lets see if BIS finds a way to implement such features in a proper & less (mainstream) shooter oriented way. At least have an option to switch it on and off.

I think it should be server option in multiplayer

You already said that once...

There is as much that can be set in the difficulty options, and i guess this would rather go under GFX options (it might actually be an option like arma has with the blur), and the shaky hands is probably configed in some way (based on smth like: if player_bulletsfly < xx m then (setdispersion & weaponsway) player yy), so no MP difficulty server settings i guess...

Well, just hope it doesnt get too annoying and maybe optional for when doing small DM's etc.

Bullets passes in hundreds during intense fights in ArmA. Leaving you with a lot of blur and hard to shoot back moments. Once again - sound cracks/impacts around me has been enough to dig my ass in the ground - cause of fear of getting hit. Hard to aim/see bad effects doesnt seem to be needed to me.

Yet once again though, i havent experienced it yet so it might be very well done and immersive. But if it is a heavy "generic happens to all effect" im hoping for an OFF switch in the settings. wink_o.gif

Regards

Alex

Quote[/b] ]bullets passing by should make your aim unsteady and cause a tunnel vision effect like

Obviously agreeing to disagree will come into play on this thread for personal views etc, but I feel this again is too much for bullets "passing" you. Sonic cracks indicate a bullet "passes" near you in real life so that's all that's needed with maybe a bit og hand shake as your nerves would be tested in real life knowing one small move could be lights out.

But again things to directly "effect you eyes and vision" should only be very near explosions, if your actually hit by a bullet or shrapnel or about to die.

Blurring and tunnel vision becuase of a bullet passing you just smacks of FPS action games and Hollywood to me. A little bit of dust/dirt kicked up into your vision from bullets "landing" right near you would do enough to effect vision without unrealistic blurring.

Judging fro mthe HD trailer, I look forward to the effects. I think I will like it.

As far as I have seen nobody has brought up the AI point-of-view.

<computer voice>

If your suppressive fire shall have an effect on me, mine shall also have a bad effect on you as the player.

</computer voice>

I guess that might be one major reason to have such effects in place as otherwise it would give the player even more of an edge. Most players will not react as much as they would if there were real bullets cracking around them, so if such fear is implemented fo the AI, something has to be done with the player as well to get a balance.

A more realistic reaction to incoming fire would be to have the player blink and twitch and hunker down but I think that that might be even more annoying.

Well, first and foremost it is impossible to imitate the human eye and other physical effects like pain or dizzyness in a game. Impossible. Developers can only do their best to simulate the effects for us.

Second, soldiers are affect by everything an untrained person are affected by. Just because for example SAS are trained to be able to work in tear gased environments without a gas mask, or because they are so used to the thundering noise of flashbangs it doesn't stop them from being able to do their job, it doesn't mean they aren't affected.

Everyone will have ringing in their ears and a throbbing headache from having a SAW fire fairly close to your head without hearing protection. However you don't have to be unable to operate just because you are temporarily deaf.

The blurred vision from having a bullet pass close to unprotected eyes is just a law of physics you can't do anything against, and having sand/stone fragments/dirt spray your face from nearby bullet impacts WILL disturb your eyesight unless you wear proper eye protection.

The two differences between a soldier and a civilian are that the soldier is geared to lessen the effects of the above, and the soldier has been exposed enough to the above not to completely lose his focus and ability to do what he's supposed to do.

Might be that it is overdone in some games, but since the game can't make us feel that bullet whizzing by, and since it can't give us a headache and the sudden 'slam' against our chest from the blast shockwave of a near explosion they have to use visual and audial means as well as other game mechanics to their best ability to hamper us in the same way the character in the game would/could be hampered.

Sorry Inkompetent, reread my first sentence. I didnt say the military units shouldnt affected by bullets, grenades etc. I'm bit "concerned" about this trend in games development making many things tied to cameras perspective instead of real eyes view point.

Your eyes in reality close very fast instead of those scratchy & dirty vision that some games present. Think what you do if something gets into your eyes. Will you go on or will you rub/clean your eyes?

Imho its a matter of implementation of such features the most look&feel bit simplistic and kinda like seeing the world through a action movie camera lense. Lets see if BIS is going to make an proper eye-vision in ArmA2. Dont wanna "praise" or "spoil" the game before release.

As long as it's a difficulty option and a moddable effect per unit, it's all good. If I play a Terminator T-800 or a zombie, I don't want my view to blur.

As long as it's a difficulty option and a moddable effect per unit, it's all good. If I play a Terminator T-800 or a zombie, I don't want my view to blur.

Or in the case of the zombie, maybe have bad vision all the time... and I agree with you that it would be nice if it was controllable, but BIS isn't making a game about terminators or zombies.

I could believe there is going to be option to control it by scripts atleast, if it can't be turned off from difficulty menu.

Naah anyways i'm starting to think that more things there are optional more broken gameplay experience there will be. Just like ArmA's AI difficulty from config (or from difficulty menu). Sure it's nice that i can tweak game to be more easy or hard, but i start to think that at same time game looses some of it's solidness. Well that is just me.