Sign in to follow this  
EricM

Latest ArmA2 & ArmA2:OA Press Coverage | NO discussion here!

I play with my Xbox 360 Elite controller in Arma 2 all the time. Well, for driving and flying at least.

Whats wrong with some console speculation? Not like BIS havent left any hints.

Whats wrong with some console speculation? Not like BIS havent left any hints.

Because there are other, more appropriate, threads for that?

To get back on topic.. did anyone notice the voices in the latest Gamestar video? They are very quiet and the reviewer is talking all the time but I think some of them (in the part with the Hind and with the KSK) they are in english but with German accent.. In the Hind he clearly says "Feuer!" but also "missile", "12 o'clock" etc... what do you think? Did I just forgot to clean my ears?

I don't know about that, but in the very last scene, which shows what I believe to be German KSK units, the radio voices sound... British. :confused:

You all seems to forget what press have is Work in Progress build which is older than actual development state

True Dwarden but let's not forget that the same line was used prior to the initial ArmA2 release and the reality is that there are many issues which have not been addressed since that release.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very much looking forward to OA and will buy it regardless to support BIS, but I think one can reasonably assume that what is currently being pre-reviewed is pretty representative of what will be released.

To put this another way, with around 8 weeks to release one can assume that the the codebase is pretty much locked down except for fixing severe bugs.

Perhaps there are issues that haven't been fixed 100%, but please inform me of an issue which BIS haven't at least tried to fix, even if it's not working perfectly right now?

Err... whether they've tried to fix things or not is irrelevant. The question is whether there is going to be some miraculous transformation between the preview code and what we end up buying. My point was that:-

1) ArmA2 was released quite a long time ago

2) Many things have not improved significantly since that time - usually because, like AI, they are actually very hard things to do

3) OA is due to be released in ~8 weeks, a comparatively short time

Therefore => chances are that the preview code is pretty close to final code.

Personally I think OA is looking great, and I'm sure there will be a few further tweaks both pre and post release but those people thinking that the AI is going to be completely transformed/performance will double/physics model will be 10x more realistic etc have unrealistic expectations. Looking forward to being proved wrong ... ;)

To get back on topic.. did anyone notice the voices in the latest Gamestar video? They are very quiet and the reviewer is talking all the time but I think some of them (in the part with the Hind and with the KSK) they are in english but with German accent.. In the Hind he clearly says "Feuer!" but also "missile", "12 o'clock" etc... what do you think? Did I just forgot to clean my ears?

When I read this I was like "WHAT??" and rewatched the video again and have to say (disappointed) that they don't speak German. Neither in the Hind (before the Javelin) nor when the KSK soldiers are shown. :(

I ask myself if BI will include other languages than English into the game, like they did for Arma 2 (Russian and "Chernarussian" ;)). This would be absolutely awesome!

It would just not fit if e.g. the Takistani speaked English. :)

True Dwarden but let's not forget that the same line was used prior to the initial ArmA2 release and the reality is that there are many issues which have not been addressed since that release.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very much looking forward to OA and will buy it regardless to support BIS, but I think one can reasonably assume that what is currently being pre-reviewed is pretty representative of what will be released.

To put this another way, with around 8 weeks to release one can assume that the the codebase is pretty much locked down except for fixing severe bugs.

Exactly that.... you just need to use the Forum search and search for the big press-release hypes before Arma2 and even before Arma1 was released...

It was exactly the same like it is now with OA. Months before the release the Press and our huge fanbase criticized many vital parts of previewed Arma2 and what ended in the retail game? -> Exactly what has been criticized at the Press/Preview Versions Months before.

Also at that time (use the Forum search ;-) ), BI-Devs have had spoken up to the criticism and mentioned "that they/the press tested a ooooolder Version than what is currently in Development and we have to keep that in mind, etc" etc etc... We all know the Story.

Just look into the Dev-Heaven Bug-Tracker.... Did anyone remember that Interview with that BI-Guy from Armaholic about Operation-Arrowhead first announcement?

I remember a Quote as the Bug-Tracker was mentioned, which was like: "Everything we consider as bug will be fixed with Operation-Arrowheads release"....

Lets wait and see..... :D

So what we got so far is nice and all and i will buy it anyway, but Jesus H Christ :mad:, BIS seriously....

When will you actually start to improve/fix the Vital parts of the game, like for instance the AI? :rolleyes:

And stop to post ridiculous excuses, like how we could even dare to demand a bit more self-caring AI (See that Dev-Heaven post by a BI-Dev, after rejection of such a suggestive-ticket for little bit more self-caring AI).

These are Vital Parts the community can't fix, not because they are not capable of, no because you hard-code them into the engine and thus make them unchangeable. If they wouldn't be hard-coded, the modding-community would have improved them in no-time already.:rolleyes: Thats like willingly stop a evolution.....

Edited by mr.g-c

I don't know about that, but in the very last scene, which shows what I believe to be German KSK units, the radio voices sound... British. :confused:

Yep. This was indeed KSK Forces and british voices. I hope this is cause of WIP Version. As german i would love to see germans actually speak their language...!

Yep. This was indeed KSK Forces and british voices. I hope this is cause of WIP Version. As german i would love to see germans actually speak their language...!

I don't see anything wrong with them speaking English if it is with a German accent. The US seems to be the main force and the Germans are supporting. Since the US speaks English it would make sense that the Germans can interact with them. Then again, i'm not German so maybe its a bigger issue to you guys.

I think those Germans sounded like they were speaking with an accent, so that's good enough for me. I'm curious to know how their military terms differ from US Forces.

Edited by BF2_Trooper

When I read this I was like "WHAT??" and rewatched the video again and have to say (disappointed) that they don't speak German. Neither in the Hind (before the Javelin) nor when the KSK soldiers are shown. :(

I ask myself if BI will include other languages than English into the game, like they did for Arma 2 (Russian and "Chernarussian" ;)). This would be absolutely awesome!

It would just not fit if e.g. the Takistani speaked English. :)

You're asking for a bit too much here, BIS hardly got the English voices down correctly in the vanilla ArmA 2. :p

I think those Germans sounded like they were speaking with an accent, so that's good enough for me. I'm curious to know how their military terms differ from US Forces.

Probably not by much as they are both allied countries and members of NATO.

Any YouTube links of gamestar preview? I'm stuck in iPhone for wknd

I did a search on there and didn't find one. I did it by date too and in the past two days all there has been are the random town generator and the FLIR.

Yeah that's all I got asweel :(

I haven't been this excited about a game release since forever! This is the MOST anticipated game I've ever wanted looookksss sooooo goood.

I've been telling everything that the upgraded features are so good other publishers would've have released it as a sequel as Ubisoft did with GRAW 2 on xbox 360.

I saw that the arm patch on one of the soldiers read: "TF Knight."

Anyone else notice this?

Just thought I'd throw this out there. In PC Gamer US' 200th issue, they have an article on 200 reasons to love PC gaming. Arma 2 was mentioned in the Pure Simulation category for their favorite battlefield simulator and in Worlds and Universes for Chernarus.

Edit: Oh, and IceBreakr; you and Crooks get a shoutout from Evan Lahti in the Downloads article. ;)

Edited by Zipper5

Anyone able to translate the latest gamestar.de video please?

In the comments of armaholics on this video someone summed up the translation:

For all people that dont speak german, i sum up briefly what they said:

- This time its the US Army and not the Marines fighting

- some new transport possibilities

- buildings have a more detailed damage model, but not as good as the one in Battlefield Bad Company 2

- All buildings can be entered

- The enemy faction is using old Russian equipment

- AI is a lot less buggy than in vanilla Arma 2

- UAV can mark targets for Apaches with a laser

- the new Radar is in the eyes of the speaker better than the old one

- Crosshair of rifles can be adjusted to different ranges manually

- the big town is very ressource-eating at the moment

EDIT: As samawah in VBS2 is pretty heavy when looked at from outside but as soon as you enter it its pretty smooth (only loading textures and objects in the vicinity of the player). Chernarus was kind of always heavy even though i entered it. Wish OA's big town would be the same when done.

Edited by Alex72