Sign in to follow this  
EricM

Latest ArmA2 & ArmA2:OA Press Coverage | NO discussion here!

Brought to you by the translator famous for "Ivan Buchta" => "Ivan Pussies" :D

Proper version ;)

great stuff there alot better ez read

In the full version you will also get the option to customize your weapons, quite similar to Modern Warfare 2

Feature in the campaign only?

The flying truck due to explosion (improved physics or set piece?):

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/viewer.php?mode=article&id=230234

Oh great, it´s still got that ugly stroke effect (see helmet) which was introduced in ArmA 2 ... i could´nt imagine playing without it!

There are no physics improvements.

There are no damage model improvements.

There is no shooting from vehicles.

And please stop assuming 'X' feature is in while we all know it isn´t!

Sadly it´s always the same during preview phase - first everyone goes 'whoooo' and little time later we all go :(

Hate to rain on your parade mates, but maybe the high-resolution faces are only for main characters in the campaign, similar to vanilla ArmA 2?

Just a thought.

W...O...W! :) facial expressions are awesome and so is the rest. Cant wait. Thanks BoboCZ!

Jesus Christ that screenshot is amazing I wish BIS had more time to make every character that detailed.

Absolutely love it!!!! :D

Thank you BIS. :yay:

---------- Post added at 12:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 PM ----------

Just curious:

- on AI improvements

- about 3D mission editor and new modules

- if there are interiors and working MFDs for aircrafts and vehicles

Me too. hoping for the stable release of the 3D editor.

The new faces look superb, but they may be "Hero" characters just like Team Razor.

Razor's faces were quite good already, it's just the regular grunts who looked like plastic models with collagen-filled lips. Let's hope they changed this aswell.

The rest looks pretty sweet.

Yeah the faces other than the main characters looks really bad IMO, low quality and just robot looking, nothing like the screenshot Alex72 posted a few pages back.

What I hate about these reviewers is that it's so ridiculous that they rarely follow up on a game, and also consider what the community has put out. Reading the translated review it seems this guy still thinks A2 v1.02 is all that's been done by BIS and never even considers the community contribution. Clearly the difference between A2 now and when he first played it is astronomical. It's not even close to the game that was released 11 months ago.

Hell I could barely tell it was an OA review.

I wonder how much these guys actually work?

Edited by Manzilla

More screenshots! May have been up previously, though.

http://www.armaholic.com/index.php?m=single&id=10245

Looks like there'll be a 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe in the expansion! :D

What I hate about these reviewers is that it's so ridiculous that they rarely follow up on a game, and also consider what the community has put out.

Well, reviewers review the game itself, not mods.

Edited by Laqueesha

i feel completely lame asking this, but can someone make sure all the coalition troops get ballistic glasses. EES glasses or something. NOBODY goes outside the wire wthout eye protection these days. other than that - looks real good.

Well, reviewers review the game itself, not mods.

I know but that really serves no purpose for me. I can't tell what a BIS game will be when it first comes out. All I know is that they become legendary a few years later.

i feel completely lame asking this, but can someone make sure all the coalition troops get ballistic glasses. EES glasses or something. NOBODY goes outside the wire wthout eye protection these days. other than that - looks real good.

And gloves too, if I may add.

And gloves too, if I may add.

Yes add hands to the customization of your character BIS and add more variety to eye protection and shades.

Such focus should be also dedicated towards the HW requirements. With Core i5 750, Radeon 4890, 4 GB of RAM and Windows 7 64-bit I was struggling to get past 30-40 frames per second at medium details and parts where my frame rate could be counted on the fingers of one hand weren't that uncommon either. The HW requirements could obviously change in the several months left before release though
Some decent specs there getting hammered by OA :(

I find that statement about low framerates to be somewhat hard to believe. I have very similar system specs and I never get single digit FPS even with most settings on very high. And that's playing on Chernarus, which is supposedly much more performance hungry than Takistan. Also, check out the new AH64+UAV video on YouTube for example. Performance looks great there, although it's obviously hard to tell what settings are being used.

Something just doesn't add up here.

MadDogX: I agree with you, but i think he meant the campaign + WIP game. The game runs really good on my pc until too much AI, but the campaign is really heavy in its parts so i think thats what he meant. The game itself going in other easier/lighter missions or the editor will most definatelly be even easier on the system than ARMA2 for obvious reasons (less objects, better vegetation).

I find that statement about low framerates to be somewhat hard to believe. I have very similar system specs and I never get single digit FPS even with most settings on very high. And that's playing on Chernarus, which is supposedly much more performance hungry than Takistan. Also, check out the new AH64+UAV video on YouTube for example. Performance looks great there, although it's obviously hard to tell what settings are being used.

Something just doesn't add up here.

The settings looked pretty fair, and this is judging from the 720p rip off of youtube. The video is 25fps or so, so you'll only notice when the game itself dips below that really, to which it plays smoothly through out. Biggest stutter I saw is at 2:54 and is brief. You can see some streaming stutters but to be honest I don't expect those to ever go away unless you get some bad ass harddrives or Ramdisk, but aside from that it seemed pretty smooth at a decent view distance

BTW i love the black and white night footage in that, when they aren't running the FLIR. Kind has that old eerie horror film look to it.

Edited by Steakslim

It should be remembered that before ArmA 2 came out there were tons of crappy looking screenshots and dire warnings about performance, most of which turned out to be false or overstated.

MadDogX: I agree with you, but i think he meant the campaign + WIP game.

Possible. That would at least explain why the framerate was limited to 30-40fps, but the supposedly frequent dips into single digit framerates are still a mystery. The only possible explanation I can think of is heavy stutter due to streaming in large towns, but even in Chernogorsk that's a thing of the past.

Possible. That would at least explain why the framerate was limited to 30-40fps, but the supposedly frequent dips into single digit framerates are still a mystery. The only possible explanation I can think of is heavy stutter due to streaming in large towns, but even in Chernogorsk that's a thing of the past.

Yeah i think thats what it is. The reviewer testing the campaign and coming into new towns for the first time = scripts start running, lots of AI starts thinking and streaming new textures and objects for the first time in that area. We know that this can be a deadly mix for the performance.

Another czech preview: http://www.vokr.com/preview/arma2-oa-hratelne/

This one is very positive, but doesn't say anything new or offer some new screenshots.

Things worth mentiong:

• moving clouds
  • the optimization is good, the game is more fluid
  • better vehicle and aircraft handling

It's a shame they didn't describe the Armory more, I would love to know if they improved it.

EDIT: Yeah, the screenshots are the same, but they are hi-res.

Edited by Myshaak