Sign in to follow this  
EricM

Latest ArmA2 & ArmA2:OA Press Coverage | NO discussion here!

German review sites will probably pick up the german release version on the 29th, so we can expect more up-to-date reviews in about 3 weeks at the latest. Creating a preview version is probably a hell of a lot of work - it's not like they can just grab the latest build, slap it onto a DVD and send it out to previewers.

Bunch of posts that had nothing to do with "ArmA2 Press Coverage" deleted.

Hi Walker,

I was speaking of the other previews, seemingly with that build, that mentioned you could not pilot the vehicles (CTD). I have no idea what Dslyecxi's version number is, I'd bet it is different. I'm not at all implying that the basic engine is faulty. Just the repetitive complaints about the old preview build.. blah blah blah. 'Same bugs, no hope, all is lost'... getting old. I wish those people all knew the symptoms if insanity.. 'To do something the same way again and again, and expect a different result' (and yes, I've been insane like that before and it actually worked.. Am I now delusional? lol)

Simply put- Wait for a different build before hoping to see any change.

In their preview German Magazine Gamestar wrote that their versiosn had this carsh problem too but after a few days BIS found that somehow there was a problem with the keyboard shortcuts ( possible two functiosn that had the same keys assigned ) and that caused it, so it was fixed by reassigning this.

Guess some have no idea how life for a small developer is in the so called crunchtime phase so such a quickly fixed bug might be forgiven as they surely had lots of stress at that time.

Wonder how many of them sleep at the office lately.

Yep there was a problem in that two controls assigned to the same key was causing a crash, the crash was fixed and the control assignments was fixed, the people at the magazines/websites could fix it themselves just by reassigning one of the controls, we sent them an Email with the info as soon as we discovered it, as well as new files to replace the old ones incase they couldn't do the control reassigning themselves :)

as well as new files to replace the old ones incase they couldn't do the control reassigning themselves :)

If anyone needs help remapping a key then it may explain why in many reviews the settings seemed pretty weird with wrong aspect ratios and such things :)

But better to be safe i guess.

Edited by Shadow NX

Noticed in that GAMESTAR video about ground vehicles in one sequence i think it was the Tunguska they move the camera so its on the ground in front of the vehicle. Now with viewblocking vegetation the camera has always moved closer to the player, but when they have the camera down in the tall grass there is no camera moving closer to the player.

May not mean anything. Just noticed it and wondered if there will be viewblock from AI in tall grass or not. And if it is made different than in ArmA1 maybe. With Durgs it was very evident when you were blocked. Same as with DM's thrown smoke and now ACE as well. Camera moves closer when VB affects the player.

Sorry if this wasnt any news about ARMA2 media. Just throwed out my thaughts after seeing it.

Alex

Placebo you make this forum worth reading :D

Really subtle Pr for the game! :)

Im so hyped that Placebo teasing about version numbers even makes me happy :D

Im so hyped that Placebo teasing about version numbers even makes me happy :D

Please may we clone you? ;)

And when this weeks updates are coming? :confused:

Oh nice, you can now see clearly this is February build: 4/2/2009

There I pretty much footage, I hope someone translate it :D

Isn't this read the other way around, which would mean 2nd of April 2009?

At least Gamestar reported this date like this and i'm rather convinced its read like that.

Some great press coverage would be a list of bugs that have been fixed so far from the preview build. Please.

Would be very awesome, but the transition between a bug and a feature is very very fluid..... So some things which might be bugs for some guys, could be features in the eyes of even BIS, or just other Players.

@Alex[Dev]72: AI Viewblocking by vegetations/foliage was already like 2 times confirmed by BIS at least, once by Maruk himself on GC 08 video interview, a second time in the Devloper-Blog about vegetations.

Some great press coverage would be a list of bugs that have been fixed so far from the preview build. Please.

I'm sure BIS have better things to do right now than try to construct a changelog from an older preview copy to a work-in-progress game that is supposed to be coming out very soon. From a cost-vs-payoff perspective, it would be a terrible investment of time.

It would make sense for it to be D/M/Y because it would make the date to February. (the infamous press version)

Also M/D/Y isn't used by others than USA and a couple of third world country's. So my bets are on February.

Edited by sparks50

Isn't this read the other way around, which would mean 2nd of April 2009?

At least Gamestar reported this date like this and i'm rather convinced its read like that.

It is my understanding in Europe and most places outside the U.S. that the structure for dates are Day/Month/Year against the Month/Day/Year that me and the rest of the yanks are used to. I ran into this with a lot of games as well as other things that led to some confusion in the past.

I'm probably not allowed to say exactly what number the build is from this week but I'm probably ok in saying it's much higher than that ;)

It's unsurprising that build-ids increase over time, especially if you have a development cycle that includes an overnight build! The more interesting thing in this post is that clearly changes are still being made :)

Back on-topic, any hint of what further press-coverage we might expect over the next few weeks ?

Funny, then the game-magazine guys must have miss-read it too, when some of them have claimed their version said April Build....

But doesn't really matter actually since we got teased with improvements in later builds already.

Back on-topic, any hint of what further press-coverage we might expect over the next few weeks ?

Well presumably some things in German and/or Czech ;) I cannot give you specific details I'm afraid as I'm going on vacation from tomorrow night (6am flight from Arlanda so going to spend the night in the airport) :)

Funny, then the game-magazine guys must have miss-read it too, when some of them have claimed their version said April Build....

But doesn't really matter actually since we got teased with improvements in later builds already.

Well considering it's already been made common knowledge that the build is from February, it's clear that they've taken 2+2=05, assumed that because the preview was received in April that a European company has for some mysterious reason suddenly decided to start using a US calendar structure, it's dd/mm/yyyy ever where in the world except North America to my knowledge.

Talking about Czech, there was a preview on Czech Television's programme Game Page...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyveolKNHs4

I don't know whether it is already mentioned here. It is in Czech.

They are talking about non-linear campaign, that you can play the campaign with 4 other players online, that for developers the main problem is available time :], about war being mainly about people (so the interaction is crucial), fighting in realistic distances, AI avoiding dangerous places (places that has been previously a target of fire), about "Linda program" growing trees realistically, about that head-swinging improves the immersion, climbing over fences improves the mobility, about AI not standing/crawling in the middle of the street ant being able to fight in huge scale areas...if you need an exact translation, maybe I could provide it, but I don't think there is any extremely important unknown information.

(...)mysterious reason suddenly decided to start using a US calendar structure, it's dd/mm/yyyy ever where in the world except North America to my knowledge.

And in BI forums... :D

Talking about Czech, there was a preview on Czech Television's programme Game Page...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyveolKNHs4

I don't know whether it is already mentioned here. It is in Czech.

They are talking about non-linear campaign, that you can play the campaign with 4 other players online, that for developers the main problem is available time :], about war being mainly about people (so the interaction is crucial), fighting in realistic distances, AI avoiding dangerous places (places that has been previously a target of fire), about "Linda program" growing trees realistically, about that head-swinging improves the immersion, climbing over fences improves the mobility, about AI not standing/crawling in the middle of the street ant being able to fight in huge scale areas...if you need an exact translation, maybe I could provide it, but I don't think there is any extremely important unknown information.

what exactly does BI say about it? That it is still a problem or that it is fixed? :eek:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but, did anyone else notice they took the "To be be released on PC and next gen console" off the website?

It used to be in a box in the middle on the right side, but now its gone.

Well considering it's already been made common knowledge that the build is from February, it's clear that they've taken 2+2=05, assumed that because the preview was received in April that a European company has for some mysterious reason suddenly decided to start using a US calendar structure, it's dd/mm/yyyy ever where in the world except North America to my knowledge.

And that's why YYYY/MM/DD is simply the best structure ever ;)

it's old coverage.

I've seen it month before.

Hmmm, as BIS canceld the updates at the previous week I hope we will get these week the double PR impact. :D

Btw. its time for an offiical ArmA2 trailer, isn't it?

what exactly does BI say about it? That it is still a problem or that it is fixed? :eek:

6:00 - end

There are some partisans, that most probably noticed somebody's firing at them. And of course they return fire. Soldiers are covering (themselves or each other?), leaning and looking for covers. Here you can see, that Arma 2 does not bear that, what Arma 1 suffered, and that is soldiers dropping prone in the middle of a street, because it was the easiest option for them. By now, they - according to tactical teaching - do keep close to the edges/sides, looking for covers. It is indeed a generalized system, so sometimes they do a nonsense, but globally the AI behaves very well, in this huge area is able - quite without any problems - to fight like this absolutely everywhere.

Edit:

it's old coverage.

I've seen it month before.

Yep, it is exactly one month old, but I haven't seen any regards around here, so so... :)

Edited by Okdante