Sign in to follow this  
EricM

Latest ArmA2 & ArmA2:OA Press Coverage | NO discussion here!

No, i was referring to yersterday, in my computer. I was trying the 50" caliber sniper rifle in the airport of Utes against an enemy infantry, placing a squad in one side of the long paveway and myself in the other extreme. In really long ranges they doesn't react properly, they just go prone and move (a bit). After killing half their squad, they should try your option 1), get the hell ouf of there. Like, run at least 300 mts in one direction and then search for hard cover.

Without a waypoint the AI will not do anything.

The AI is as good as the mission maker makes them.

If you had put that same platoon in a patrol they might have reacted entirely differently.

But yeah, as it has been said, if there is nowhere to hide in 100 metres or so, do you want to risk running that entire distance while under sniper fire or do you get down in the grass and try to kill that SOB shooting at you before he gets more shots off?

Short Translation from the german Arma2 test from today (only the conclusions - sorry i'm out of time currently!):

Conclusion:

What brings me the best, most realistic and sophisticated game, if it so unfinished, that i can barely play it?! Nothing!

Its is a real insolence, in which stage Arma2 was released.

Was it missing money and time during the development or is it the fear from the, at the horizon lurking Dragon called OFP2? I can't comprehend, how a such unfinished Thing can be released on the market, especially because all mistakes of its predecessor are repeating itself. OK a tiny bit better is Arma2, but the promised big step in quality it is clearly not. Even though the armoury and the Scenarios are working quite well, but the heart, „the dynamic campaign“, is so unfinished that you have to replay missions, because trigger or scripts are not working or even other bugs stopping the progress already.

Especially the ahh so important Artificial Intelligence of enemies and own comrades is fluctuating between “stupid but with x-ray view†and “too stupid to walk even straight aheadâ€, which of course kills every tedious built-up atmosphere and authenticity during gameplay.

A incomplete tutorial, control problems, translation errors, clumsy/hooking animations, a lousy collision detection and massive Performance-/Stability Problems showing a too early release and would have desperately needed more development time.

Additionally to the unfinished stage, the “Enemy Detecedâ€-System annoys me as a total nonsense and it is way to inaccurate for a military simulation. - “Enemy farâ€, yeahh nice one, at over 10km View distance.

Even the really demanding missions(campaign parts), wrapped in average great single missions, in a from conflicts almost screaming Land atmosphere, can not play out its advantages here, especially since Technology and Bugs are killing them.

It is so desperately aggravating!

Would the developers even only solved all the critical bugs and crash reasons in the campaign and the AI-bugs minimized, ArmaII could have reached without problems a rating of far more than 80%. In this “Construction-Site†stage however, I can only dissuade from the game and console all the Military-Simulation Fans with the Promise by the Bohemia Interactive Developers, that they will release patches, patches and more patches.

ArmaII is not the technological Bugs/Crash Catastrophe like STALKER Clear Sky was at release Date. The troublesome Bugs are lying here rather in the overall Missiondesign, at the Artificial Intelligence and at the “Enemy Detectedâ€- System. Additionally I actually don't want to start with hoping that a script is running flawlessly during a campaign mission.

With so much wasted potential you could almost start to scream out of anger!

Rated at 50%!!!

Way worse than Arma1(65%) was rated...;)

For Reference (i find it interesting), in the comments on this article people were massivley complaing about this rating, as it puts it on the same level with really sub-prime 10 bucks games.

Then the 4Players Editor has written this as statement:

The Problem is not 4Players.de, but rather the release politics of the manufacturer!

YOu want to pay full 50€ for a beta-version? Granted! But we don't want that! Thats why there will be no later reviews with adaption of the ratings.

Patches are generally a sign of a very low product quality assurance, or date-eagerness at the manufacturer.

Its not that out there are no playable games getting released, or that its really hard to polish a game like it usually is for the Wii, Xbox360, PS3 & Co (usually) of course is...

Btw, Marcel means in his Article actually the STALKER extension called "Clear Sky", which was unplayable on release and got 39% here.

Edited by mr.g-c

Moved to the correct forum and deleted the superfluous post.

39% to Stalker Clear sky? That guy must be obsessed with bugs. Its interesting to see the scores vary so wildly. I guess it says a lot about what kind of gamer the reviewer is. I tend to play to be entertained, I rarely ever notice bugs, at least not in shorter games.

Edited by sparks50

Rated at 50%!!!

Probably because of this:

especially because all mistakes of its predecessor are repeating itself

We need damage control :o

But the AI interaction and AI general behaviour need some serious tweaking, and in the end, that is what counts for me:

ArmA 2 | Sniping with CZ 550

I'm sure many of you totally disagree with me, but based on what I've seen and read so far, AI seems too ignorant to shoot and react properly/quickly and combined with its legacy of bugs and whatnot, I'll wait to spend my hard-earned money.

:eek: Whoa! Is that... is that ragdoll I see?! Just look at approx. 1:04 in the video, for example. That looks a lot like ragdoll.

I've seen many videos on YouTube at this point, and I swear to the gods; some of those deaths look inredibly ragdoll-y.

:eek: Whoa! Is that... is that ragdoll I see?! Just look at approx. 1:04 in the video, for example. That looks a lot like ragdoll.

I've seen many videos on YouTube at this point, and I swear to the gods; some of those deaths look inredibly ragdoll-y.

They are animations, good ones :)

If you're confusing animations that look "ragdoll-y", you've kind of missed the point with ragdolls. Yet BIS 'wins' by not including ragdoll and still have one extra happy customer :D I was always one of those against the whole ragdoll idea, but if normal animations 'look like it', then by all means :)

Probably because of this:

We need damage control :o

I was thinking the same thing after reading that. And it is exactley that, why ArmA2 got a lower rating than Armed assault.

Whoa! Is that... is that ragdoll I see?!

No ragdoll and still the old, clumsy and timedelayed switching to death animation. Another thing that could have been made more faster and realistic imo. It´s still the same as with Arma, you shoot someone and it takes a while until the death animation kicks in which looks really odd at times as it did with Arma 1.

Congrats for the good reviews & keep up the good work BIS :yay:

The reviewer from 3djuegos.com claims that ArmA II's music is poor or loose, I am surprised because I think it has a very good soundtrack :music:

2 MQ-9 Reaper: I have same feeling, music in ArmA 2 is very good as in OFP.

Score range for ArmA2 is very interesting, often 7-9. This game is inconsistent, but for military freaks will be number one. I had upgraded my graphic card for this game, but it was good choice.

Yeah its about time this game got some decent reviews deserves it..well done!

Rated at 50%!!!

For Reference (i find it interesting), in the comments on this article people were massivley complaing about this rating, as it puts it on the same level with really sub-prime 10 bucks games.

Then the 4Players Editor has written this as statement:

I could never trust a game review site with that kind of rating policy.

Many of what I personally believe to be some of the best games ever made had a lot of buggs. OFP, Stalker games and Vampire the masquerade: Bloodlines to name a few.

If I would have listen to a guy like that I would probably missed out on all of them...

I could never trust a game review site with that kind of rating policy.

Many of what I personally believe to be some of the best games ever made had a lot of buggs. OFP, Stalker games and Vampire the masquerade: Bloodlines to name a few.

If I would have listen to a guy like that I would probably missed out on all of them...

THB, its like taking a test where there is a numbers of part that will effect the final total scores, you got most of them above 7 and only one under 4, then the teacher said you fail the test because of that single part you got under 4 worth 70% of the total score, and that is about your bad handwriting(not unreadable, but bad handwriting)

arma22.jpg

This image is the preview of "Micromania" paper magazine about Arma II in their June number. Next month they will put the puntuation.

In this magazine usually very top games have 2 or 3 pages of preview, and Arma II got 3, it is a good signal.

Micromania is the oldest and most important videogame magazine for european spanish speakers. I buy it since spectrum 48k times so do the mats.

In the preview they say they are more than pleased with the very first version of the game, so i expect the final puntuation will be no less than 85/100.

Really nice findings ohara, thx, the italian and spanish press got the same ver. 1.01 of german release or you guys have send other press previews?

And just to take some advantage of you being around, any news on the Demo? got some friends bugging my ears all the time by now. :D

This image is the preview of "Micromania" paper magazine about Arma II in their June number. Next month they will put the puntuation.

In this magazine usually very top games have 2 or 3 pages of preview, and Arma II got 3, it is a good signal.

Micromania is the oldest and most important videogame magazine for european spanish speakers. I buy it since spectrum 48k times so do the mats.

In the preview they say they are more than pleased with the very first version of the game, so i expect the final puntuation will be no less than 85/100.

OMG I didn't see one of those in a long time, back in the 90's Micromania was one of the few gaming magazines published in Portugal. I still have one with the "Legend of Kyrandia" in the cover :p, nice to see they are still at good shape and selling.

Hmm very interesting reviews.I was looking at the italian ones since as a Romanian I have the innate ability to understand everything without ever studying the language and I thought they have a different version of Arma 2 because it's localized in Italian

which is in 505 area but in the video it's still 1.01.57751

The italian gives high praise to Arma 2 story lauding it's dynamic gameplay,story,RPG elements and cinematography.

They like the unique gameplay but acknowledge it's progressively more frustrating and it's hard not to feel overwhelmed when at the end you are able to command platoon sized infantry,but the realism and tension makes up for that.

And finally they also like the graphics-lightening system,textures,details,overall atmoshphere virtually everything except animations.

Audio too gets high marks,so does AI for their aggressive tactics and they end up giving a warm recomandation for the game.

Such contrasting reviews.Never has a game been so polarizing like Arma 2.The 505 release should be the final word on how the game will be regarded(excellent)

What has all this Kindergarten-Fuzz to do with Arma 2 Press Coverage ?

Maybe it would be a smart move to create a "Arma 2 - The upcoming demo" thread, later renamed to " Arma 2 - The demo" ?

Edited by Balschoiw

so now Balschoiw can go back to whinging about other topics

Trying to keep the forum sorted and informative is "whinging"?

Thx man.