Sign in to follow this  
EricM

Latest ArmA2 & ArmA2:OA Press Coverage | NO discussion here!

Well, all of BIS' games have started out very rough, but they improve greatly after release. The v1.14 patch for ArmA was given "Patch of the Month" by PC Gamer, beating out games like BF2, COD4 and World in Conflict, as an example. I think the real issue here is there's not a huge difference between ArmA and ArmA II, thus not giving the need for it to be a different game rather than a patch. That said, I'll still enjoy it no matter what.

Yep, your right!

The big question mark is: How many selling copy´s do they lose with this rough starts.

Yep, your right!

The big question mark is: How many selling copy´s do they lose with this rough starts.

We'll never know, but quite a few. :(

Let's see how the things run with 505 version and above all how the rest of the European press reacts to that same version. At least it can't be worst.

They lost many sales coz of bad reviews... but anyway.. thats life.. Some of the german reviewers (all except gamestars) have made very unmature, even more stupid comments then any KI on this world is.. everybody knows how complex ofp/arma is.. and those little bugs aint comparabel to what is working now.. the only thing that gives those ppl the motivation to write such unqualifed *closed eyed* reviews is.... ARMA AINT MAINSTREAM.. and the ppl who buy their magazines ARE mainstream.. => fuckin BUSINESS .. i hate it!

the pc games movie about arma really took me to laugh.. the guy just sounded like as if somebody has stolen his toy... and the same guy is praising ofp... with all its bugs which aint fixed today!

pc action ........ i'm older then 12! who are u talkin to?

gamestars..... the guy was somehow disappointed.. i had the feeling he really likes the ofp series... but his arguments were also kind of addicted to his job/business... the hole "interview" was like bad amateur movie... no spontanic answers out of his "gamer-heart"..

now u have the 3 following possibilites to decide whats true:

we are in middle of business crysis.. such a branch like games industry is feeling that for sure... developers / publishers / game magazines ... everybody is involved...

or..

the bugs are really so bad and make the game unplayable..

well.. i have the german version.. and its fun to play it.. the atmo / graphics are really nice.. the sounds are also fantastic.. and the editor with all its possiblities .... superb! ...but noone has lost a word about that.. when u read all those reviews the only message wich is staying in your brain is.... BUGFEST! ... and thats not fair...

In my "mind trip" i come now to the creators and investors (publisher) ..

...next time finish the game and polish it until its perfect... the year more u need for it will be more then payed back coz of mainstream "to magazines listening" ppl ...

may be i'm just an idiot :-D

but my mind is clearer then the nicest weather setting in arma with 100km viewdistance.... :-D

cheers

guggs

They lost many sales coz of bad reviews... but anyway.. thats life.. Some of the german reviewers (all except gamestars) have made very unmature, even more stupid comments then any KI on this world is.. everybody knows how complex ofp/arma is.. and those little bugs aint comparabel to what is working now.. the only thing that gives those ppl the motivation to write such unqualifed *closed eyed* reviews is.... ARMA AINT MAINSTREAM.. and the ppl who buy their magazines ARE mainstream.. => fuckin BUSINESS .. i hate it!

the pc games movie about arma really took me to laugh.. the guy just sounded like as if somebody has stolen his toy... and the same guy is praising ofp... with all its bugs which aint fixed today!

pc action ........ i'm older then 12! who are u talkin to?

gamestars..... the guy was somehow disappointed.. i had the feeling he really likes the ofp series... but his arguments were also kind of addicted to his job/business... the hole "interview" was like bad amateur movie... no spontanic answers out of his "gamer-heart"..

now u have the 3 following possibilites to decide whats true:

we are in middle of business crysis.. such a branch like games industry is feeling that for sure... developers / publishers / game magazines ... everybody is involved...

or..

the bugs are really so bad and make the game unplayable..

well.. i have the german version.. and its fun to play it.. the atmo / graphics are really nice.. the sounds are also fantastic.. and the editor with all its possiblities .... superb! ...but noone has lost a word about that.. when u read all those reviews the only message wich is staying in your brain is.... BUGFEST! ... and thats not fair...

In my "mind trip" i come now to the creators and investors (publisher) ..

...next time finish the game and polish it until its perfect... the year more u need for it will be more then payed back coz of mainstream "to magazines listening" ppl ...

may be i'm just an idiot :-D

but my mind is clearer then the nicest weather setting in arma with 100km viewdistance.... :-D

cheers

guggs

well said.

I don't know why i was rather surprised by how the game was trashed by the major gaming websites and magazines even with the bugs they mentioned.

I guess i should have learned my lesson when major gaming websites trashed Mount&Blade just because it does not fall into what they are used to from mainstream games.

In any case we have all the players feedback along with two ArmA community websites reviews to compare and 85% of those are positive.

well said.

I don't know why i was rather surprised by how the game was trashed by the major gaming websites and magazines even with the bugs they mentioned.

I guess i should have learned my lesson when major gaming websites trashed Mount&Blade just because it does not fall into what they are used to from mainstream games.

In any case we have all the players feedback along with two ArmA community websites reviews to compare and 85% of those are positive.

Who dare trash Mount&Blade!?! Seriously, don't give a monkey's banana what those hacks write in their little COD worlds. I trust the feedback here because, frankly, the people here generally look for and value the same qualities that make a game great in both content and longevity. I've heard enough positives to know I'll be getting it at some point.

The community's more positive impressions are due to the fact that most OFP/ARMA fans know that most of the bugs will be ironed out with patches (BIS is proven to be dedicated to help the community).

Last patch is 1.14 which is not very old. Last beta is even fresher naturally. But we still have a new game out while the old one is still in beta patch nature? What's wrong with this picture?

German version is out, and BIS can't hold back the eruo version much now if they want to maintain order. Sadly. The release should have been delayed to rule out such tragic reviews, imho. Fresh players who is considering the game listen to reviews, not existing players.

BIS can't rely on us old hardcore gamers to keep the game alive. Some of us is getting old and getting a life. Luckily I'm not one of them ;) The game needs fresh blood too in order to stay alive and attractive. A game without players will die quickly, not that I think Arma2 will die though.

PCGames.de

They call ArmA II: "Armed Assault 2", and they say the official website is "http://www.armedassault.com/"

Themselves, they are not perfect and make mistakes...

lol, I'm not BIS fanboy or anything, but you just have to lol at these german reviews...seems like a bunch of 12 year old wrote them.

No where's that popcorn smiley...

edit:

Here it is!

:popcornsmilie:

That's harsh, most of the german reviews rather focus on the issues than on the game's newly introduced content.

That goes against BIS as there are no doubts that the german market is among the biggest ones when it comes to OFP/ArmA series.

I blame BIS for not having kept the pressure over Morphicon to delay their release.

Or at least, inform 'the reviewers' of the imminent releases of patches.

Let's see how things will evolve within the next incoming weeks.

Regards,

TB

thunderbird84 I blame BIS for not having kept the pressure over Morphicon to delay their release.

Or at least, inform 'the reviewers' of the imminent releases of patches.

Im the same its just retarted that Bis let there hard work go out the door if its unfinished. Bad press and bad reviews is not good for your product but like many people i'll buy it but im gonna hang on and wait for a few patches to come for this one.

Edited by Smiley_ie

Never seen such a big title get a 4/10 anywhere before. I thought that area was reserved for bob the builder and some crappy disney games lol.

After seeing some MP gameplay vids, im surprised of the 4/10, obviously they were angry at all the bugs. I hope things get sorted out, and some great reviews arrive.

Unfortunately the game wont be out for a while in australia, so by the time the game comes it will be 'teh pwns' and will get good reviews.

Edited by boomar.

PCGames.de

They call ArmA II: "Armed Assault 2", and they say the official website is "http://www.armedassault.com/"

Themselves, they are not perfect and make mistakes...

Such morons who wrote that "review"...

Just hunting the bugs ignoring everything else. IMO the quality of the game should be decided on the overall experience, not by the amount of bugs.

Look at the first screenshot from the gallery.Guess that's what you get,when you have an editor,prostitues and a church in a game :D

This is also the first reviewer who seems to get the point of Arma 2

Just chill.

IMO the game is not done until the 505 version is released and I see some Gamtrailers, IGN and Gamespot reviews! German reviews are crap, they only care about bugs, and they are short! Gamestar are a bunch of retards to. They also said some major shit about the Dragon Rising hands-on.

I'm sure the incredible size and freedom of the game is not even considered when a mainstream review score is set. Sure, the AI isn't perfect, but compare it to any other game with it's dead, scripted AI and think about what the differences are and why one of them would be easier to make than the other. Then consider the huge open world with it's living animals and amazing atmosphere and compare it to a game based on "levels" where you may have two paths to choose from, at maximum. Of course it's easier to make a bug free "corridor" for the player to walk through, than a country the size of Chernarus where you can go anywhere, anytime.

I wouldn't expect a mainstream player to instantly learnt to appreciate the ArmA series, but if you're a professional writer and reviewer I'd expect some more in depth thinking before comparing it to totally unrelated games and point out it flaws, without even considering the much much bigger list of pros. A short pause to think about what makes this game different compared to COD would be enough for a slightly different approach to it.

I'm not a fanboy and I won't deny that there appears to be some problems with the game, but compared to what we get I'd call them minor, especially considering BIS great ear for the community and "patch record". It's a shame that poor reviews might ruin players impression of the game before they've even tried it out, but in the end I'm sure that most of those who are looking for something like Arma2 will get the game and enjoy it anyway.

Edited by maxter

i think some of you guys seriously need to stop with the elititst attitute; it's unbearable, and it doesn't help the community at all. :j:

don't act as if you are the only ones who 'get' ArmA. professional reviewers are (in most cases) hardcore gamers as well. especially in Germany, where the OpF series has a huge fanbase, many reviewers are OpF veterans. they know what the game is about and how it must be approached.

it's ridiculous how everytime a negative opinion is voiced or a negative review comes in, some people here always get riled up and instantly defend the game (which they may not even have played yet because they don't live in german speaking europe) and at the same time discredit the reviewers, whom they know even less about.

at the same time, any positive 'review' given by an anonymous user is taken for the ultimate truth. double standards anyone? :j:

i think some of you guys seriously need to stop with the elititst attitute; it's unbearable, and it doesn't help the community at all. :j:

don't act as if you are the only ones who 'get' ArmA. professional reviewers are (in most cases) hardcore gamers as well. especially in Germany, where the OpF series has a huge fanbase, many reviewers are OpF veterans. they know what the game is about and how it must be approached.

it's ridiculous how everytime a negative opinion is voiced or a negative review comes in, some people here always get riled up and instantly defend the game (which they may not even have played yet because they don't live in german speaking europe) and at the same time discredit the reviewers, whom they know even less about.

at the same time, any positive 'review' given by an anonymous user is taken for the ultimate truth. double standards anyone?

Well said.

at the same time, any positive 'review' given by an anonymous user is taken for the ultimate truth. double standards anyone? :j:

No you don't get it. The german reviews only concentrate on the bugs and give the score by the amount of bugs, and totally ignore the overall experience.

Maybe this is why Finnish media (not only users) gives the game good ratings and praise it, and german media doesn't. Also the same reason is why users say it's good.

Edited by Leopardi

Maybe this is why Finnish media (not only users) gives the game good ratings and praise it, and german media doesn't. Also the same reason is why users say it's good.

Source? Has Pelit-lehti reviewed it already?

No you don't get it. The german reviews only concentrate on the bugs and give the score by the amount of bugs, and totally ignore the overall experience.

Imagine you buy a Lamborghini. You know that the model is one of the fastest cars around, its design the most beautiful, its sound the warmest sound a car has ever made! It's a warm summer day. The sun is gleaming, it's really hot outside. A perfect day for a ride!

You get into the car and find out that you cannot adjust the seat, which leaves you in a very uncomfortable position. Ignoring this minor detail, you start the motor and off you go. It's getting hotter and hotter, but the window lifts don't work. Nor does the air conditioner, which heats the car instead of cooling it. Slightly irritated, you insert a CD, but the player cannot read it. A light flashes to inform you about running out of fuel, but you know that your tank is full! You turn on the GPS and it tells you to turn right on a long straight road with no crossing whatsoever.

After this day, would you still be confident in your choice to buy the car because it's a Lamborghini, the fastest and most beautiful car out there?

The details count. Releasing an unfinished product is unprofessional and not acceptable.

You have to give credit to GameStar for having a very in depth look at the game. If you understand German and actually read what they have to say (and they write a lot about it) you will see, that they have a very good idea what Arma is about and how huge and complex it is. And if you watch their GameStar TV video you can clearly see that they so much would like to like it (obviously they are fans) and how fustrated and angry they are about the state of the game. They give very harsh criticism that is not only about bugs that will eventually be fixed, but also about game mechanics that simply don't work for the game (team communication for example). Their overall criticism, that the game can not handle it's own complexity, I can sadly only agree with after having played it for two days.

Edited by MBot

Imagine you buy a Lamborghini. You know that the model is one of the fastest cars around, its design the most beautiful, its sound the warmest sound a car has ever made! It's a warm summer day. The sun is gleaming, it's really hot outside. A perfect day for a ride!

You get into the car and find out that you cannot adjust the seat, which leaves you in a very uncomfortable position. Ignoring this minor detail, you start the motor and off you go. It's getting hotter and hotter, but the window lifts don't work. Nor does the air conditioner, which heats the car instead of cooling it. Slightly irritated, you insert a CD, but the player cannot read it. A light flashes to inform you about running out of fuel, but you know that your tank is full! You turn on the GPS and it tells you to turn right on a long straight road with no crossing whatsoever.

After this day, would you still be confident in your choice to buy the car because it's a Lamborghini, the fastest and most beautiful car out there?

The details count. Releasing an unfinished product is unprofessional and not acceptable.

Plz tell me where i can get a Lamborghini for £30 ? :p

It's like these reviewers base their reviews solely on how many bugs they find.

A much simpler game than ArmA will have less bugs, but does that make it a better game ?

Rating ArmA2 4/10 is beyond retardation.

I don't even remotely understand those of you who say that ArmA2 is just ArmA1 with upgraded textures. I've been playing the German version for a few hours now, and I've already discovered tons of new features and improvements. The game is just mindblowingly awesome ! Ten times better than ArmA1. :D

If this game doesn't become a major hit, there's something wrong with the universe.

Rating ArmA2 4/10 is beyond retardation.

Who rated it 4/10?