Sign in to follow this  
EricM

Latest ArmA2 & ArmA2:OA Press Coverage | NO discussion here!

If I manage to get the game tomorrow, I'll be posting some. :)

tomorrow? we need em now !!!

Hi Bert,

nice playing with you yesterday.

I got my copy of ArmA 2 today from the local "Saturn" Shop.

My first impression is: Better than i expected.

I was prepared for a bug-related desaster but so far, i encountered some, but those were not showstoppers.

The Mapcursor went AWOL around the Mission Target, so i had to move the mouse a bit outside (about 200 Meters) of the Mission Area and the cursor reappeared. It only happened once in a mission and went away after closing and opening the map a few times.

After the first mission, it never showed up again.

The KI, friend and foe, is okay and better than what we got when ArmA was released. The reaction is quick and rather precise and the Teammates follow orders.

What i like most is the Atmosphere of it all. The revamped Radiosystem is still noticeable as "stitched together soundpieces" but it is a lot easier on the ears than the robotic voices from ArmA 1.

I thought "Who needs animals in ArmA?" but they really add to the realism.

On a recon mission at night, you are peeking over a fence being very quiet, seeing two enemy soldiers with a prisoner and suddenly right next to you, something goes "Baaaaaaahhh!" makes you jumpy and wanting to shoot that damn goat right on the spot.

ArmA 2 is definitely not finished, but that was already admitted due to the release dates.

For me, it has definitely the chance to become a reference Title for this Genre.

Back to Chernarus for me now....

From the TG thread..

Edited by cm

alright guys i think we all need to relax and calm down a bit.

Lets all go watch the UEFA finals shall we, i think Placebo is already doing that or at least he wants to :D

after that we will see more reviews and impressions coming up to be able to make sense of the state of the game and what happened. :)

So, based on the initial previews/reviews, ArmA 2 is "good," but nothing too "spectacular," like what OFP 1 was back in 2001.

Tomorrow? We need 'em now!!!

Patience, young one. With great game comes great responsibility... Or patience, for that matter.

Edited by Laqueesha

So, based on the initial previews/reviews, ArmA 2 is "good," but nothing too "spectacular," like what OFP 1 was back in 2001.

Considering the fact that BI is the only developing studio in the world that makes so realistic warfare simulators it is spectacular i bet.

It's with a sense of pride that i can tell you that TangoDown.nl now has an interview online with one of the developers of ArmA2, Joris-Jan van 't Land.

As a Dutch tactical gaming community it's great to see that one of us Dutchies is actually contributing to one of the best tactical games out there.

We got an interview with Joris-Jan, and 4 exclusive screenshots to boot!

Unfortunately the interview is in Dutch so not everybody is able to read it, but the screenshots do make up for it! :)

A part of the questions we asked are about new mission editor features, campaign length and many others, like how it is to work for a Czech company as a Dutch person.

Read the article here at TangoDown!

http://www.tangodown.nl/forum/thread-398.html

Edited by SiC-Disaster

;1290592']TheOverseer continued his "first impression report" here

He mentions a few minor bugs he had with the ingame map ( some sort of selection bug which disappeared after a while ) and that he can't get Anti Aliasing to work properly. Apart from that he says he has alot of fun ' date=' it runs stable and smooth for him with good graphics ( ShadowNX quoted his specs above )[/quote']

He also said that AI Cheats (again, remark mr.g-c), they detect enemies through walls and buildings :rolleyes: (hes not entirely sure though as he said it might be possible that enemies did stand on roofs before :confused: - unlikely in my opinion).

Not to forget that he mentioned strange distant LOD switchings in cities/towns.

But overall he is highly impressed (quote: The fun factor is unbroken!) and said this game is the genre reference game so far for him.

Nothing comes closer to Operation Flashpoint so far, in his opinion...

Thx for the link Disaster, Nice to see some dutch involvement indeed.

And now for the vehicle im most content with:

arma7.jpg

A proper tractor with cabin! (is it a zetor or belarus? )

FarmA is comming closer:P

There's some new in-game pictures on that article, thanks for posting! :D

Hopefully someone will translate it, there's something about helicopter FLIR in the article.

Use google translate. I used it and its perfectly readable.

this game is the genre reference game so far for him.

Nothing comes closer to Operation Flashpoint so far, in his opinion...

which wouldn't be hard, considering there was only ArmA in between, and nothing else.

but it's true, those who've bought the game today seem to like it. i'll keep reading through tomorrow, though. the first impressions are always the most positive ones. it was the same with ArmA. :(

There's some new in-game pictures on that article, thanks for posting! :D

Hopefully someone will translate it, there's something about helicopter FLIR in the article.

It states that there is no realistic FLIR in ArmA2, and that despite it is in VBS, its not tat easy without giving in to certain other aspects of the game

the first impressions are always the most positive ones. it was the same with ArmA. :(

It's the same with every game. You can't really notice every little details, bugs or features in such a short time. It takes couple of days gaming before you know is the game success or not.

The dutch interview also says that a 3d editor is not included in the initial release, however it does hint at the possibility that it will be added later in a patch.:yay:

Damn can't wait to see some ShackTactical or GOL clan MP videos :D

Oh and thanks for confirming that, Rock, although I not surprised they exaggerated a little ;) Don't trust games journalists, people!

Hey all,

Thanks for the nice feedback.

If there's enough interest, we might come up with a translation.

Nice to see so many Dutchies here, hopefully you'll come play ArmA 2 with us some time. :D

Thanks.

I just went through the reports of those who already own a copy and they're all really positive.:)

Translate please...

FLIR is in woot. There is at least some sort of FLIR. Hopefully better than the community ones we saw in action (wich was way better than nothing - respect! And some under development wich looked very real to me). With ARMA2 being the most realistic combat sim around where we will use UAV's and helicopters for example its an important feature and brings more edge to the sim. Im really happy to see there at least is FLIR this time around even though not hyper realistic. And with the base code in maybe the community can make it better.

Lastly, what they mean with "no realistic FLIR" i dont know. It might serve its purpose perfectly just that it doesnt have all the functions and the exact imagery like in RL. Hoping it will make me happy though rather than "ehh...". :)

Regards

Alex

I'm guessing its just a black/white nightvision, but it would be awesome if it had heat showing capabilities!