Sign in to follow this  
EricM

Latest ArmA2 & ArmA2:OA Press Coverage | NO discussion here!

Imgine someone tried to translate Sarahni into something else :rolleyes:

It actually means "To bury something/someone" in quite a few languages. It got a few laughs when some people saw the giant Sahrani poster in my room.

From the link posted on this page comes the following quote:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-assault-armed-assault-2-discussion/139761-guess-what.html

My first impression, I only started the editor and walked around a bit on the small island (Utes, which is like Rahmadi from Arma1) ... and I love the graphics, the sounds, the feel ... it's much less static, when you move you have a light shaking of the view, when you sprint even more. Often subtle details like a slight motion blur when quickly moving the head. I have not yet tried out any real mission, so I can't yet comment on the PC Games review, which considered the game unplayable. (Couldn't stop me from buying though).

I'll jump back in and make some more shots and will play a few missions. Still need to figure out how to make handsigns, one of my more eagerly awaited features. Oh, and I gonna find a pond with grass inside. No rivers though, I think.

But I can say this already: When changing the resolution (I have a 1680x1050, 16:10 native and switched down to 1280x960, 4:3), it seems for some reason, the action menu etc. somehow remain at their original position, so I can't see it but use it. Still checking.

Seems OK until now,I'm keeping my finger crossed :D

It actually means "To bury something/someone" in quite a few languages. It got a few laughs when some people saw the giant Sahrani poster in my room.

You have a giant sahrani poster in your room :386:

Damn it. This would be realy a mess in international multiplayer.

You call the name of the town you are in and all the other guys dont know what you mean :/

But ok maybe its better than names i cant speak out^^

OMG, they really translated Chernarus into "Tschernarusslan".... how ugly...

Shouldn't Chernarus be called Chernarus everywhere?

And what the german translation has to do with BIS? Please complain about the translation at Morphicon or at their forums, not here.

Guest RKSL-Rock

I've got to say the version we played with on the 505 day had nothing so obvious wrong with it all. I'm amazed by that article. Sure I saw the odd shimmering bush, and AI truck swerve on a straight road but nothing so dramatic as to scream "BUG! THERES A BUG!"

I'm just waiting for one of the German guys to get the game and try it. I don't think some of these journalists know what they are doing.

Interesting read here.
Alec: Yeah, ArmA 2 is off down a path no other dares tread. And it has to, because of that incredibly passionate community. There were community guys at the London briefing quoting the exact maximum altitude of various aircrafts.

Rock? :D

Guilty :D Although the statement isnt exactly right. It was the max ceiling in the game engine. Slightly less geeky depending on how you look at it :P

So lucky im in Sweden where we dont need any translations or subs in our language. Would move or kill myself if i got it translated to anything than english. :)

Nice to see some people have picked it up! Lucky bastards. And im sure the game is awesome. Leaving too many comments from the german version should maybe be avoided until it gets patched to 505 level though. We all know the 505 version is where it should "start" so to speak. Germans have a pre-build. So please keep the bitchin weve seen here today(!) away until then. Please. Thank you.

Cheers

Alex

I'm mainly waiting for more input about the actual campaign since that's what the pre-review from pcgames was mostly about, right? Would be nice to know if there are indeed alot of bugs (that is hopefully fixed with a patch before even released in EU) or if there was indeed something very wrong with pcgames disc/whatever. I'm not very worried either way but it would be interesting to know.

(I won't be able to afford a computer that can run it for the next six months or so anyway, lol)

Edited by maxter

Why didn't they call it "Schwarzrussland", like Belarus is called "Weissrussland"?

I would expect Szwarzrusland :)

Still Chernarus is English name. It's very silly to have a sloven name translated to English, and presented as English in sloven countries. In Poland I even expect it to be translated as CzarnoruÅ›.

edit: RasdenFasden what a surprise, we end up with same conclusion in same time.

Edited by sidhellfire

Looking forward to the responses of the people that picked it up.:bounce3:

And what the german translation has to do with BIS? Please complain about the translation at Morphicon or at their forums, not here.

They = the translation firm

I think you're reading too much into things. As we all have lately, I guess :rolleyes:

Its simple as the map name shouldn't be translated at all...BIS should have not permitted this to the publisher

Sahrani is Sahrani in all localizations, same should be for Chernarus.

Everyone of us fans got already used to chernarus and not in 10 years i would once speak it out with "Tschernarussland".:rolleyes:

Its simple as the map name shouldn't be translated at all...BIS should have not permitted this to the publisher

Sahrani is Sahrani in all localizations, same should be for Chernarus.

Everyone of us fans got already used to chernarus and not in 10 years i would once speak it out with "Tschernarussland".:rolleyes:

Okey, W0lle wasn't reading too much into things after all.

I don't see your logic, mr.g-c. You call Belarus Weißrussland, don't you. Chernarus is a fictional name formed by analogy. It is makes perfect sense to call it Tschernarussland.

I think "Schwarzrussland" would be the correct translation

Ok translated the above text roughly so everyone can read it.

ATTENTION, contains details on the first mission so if you dont want to be spoiled please look away ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, thanks to a local Saturn store and a sudden case mental derangement where i didnt follow my principles i bought ArmA2 and installed it 2 hours ago.

My System:

Vista Home 32Bit

Intel Core2Duo E8400 3,0GHz

2 GB Ram

Nvidia 8800 GT

My first, short conclusion after these 2 hours playtime:

Im positivly surprised - really.

I was ready for a complete bug desaster.

ArmA 2 runs fluid even after all options were set to "High" and still feels very "organic".

The sounds are really fitting, for my taste a bit too "Hollywood-like" but still very well made.

What i really like are the way how it sounds when you run.

Depending on the moving speed the gear you carry around sounds louder or quiter.

The radio system was reworked. You still hear that the reports are put together from parts but its less robotic than in ArmA1.

It aint no revelation but its lot less annoying than before and lot nicer for the ears.

The enemy and friend AI behaved well in these 2 hours and reacted, depending on the difficulty of the unit, realistic, fast and precise.

The weapon handling feels good, the motion seems more fluid and the animations less stiff. The mag change now works on the move and you cna jump over small obstacles without having to wait for the anim to stop completely.

The first mission of the campaign are very atmospheric and make you want more.

Destroying the radiostation in the first mission was fun and making decissions within the mission is a new element that was integrated very well and offers you to do extra missions

The bugs i encountered in these 2 hours:

I couldnt finnish the tutorial for the Team command because whatever i tried the helicopter that was supposed to show up didnt come.

Shortly bevore the start to the first campaign mission i had a in-game report of a missing music file but the game still worked normally afterwards.

Because i wanted to feel the soldiers atmosphere i switched the music off anyway so that doesnt bother me much.

I didnt find more so far. There was no "Showstopper" so far. The AI colleagues were fighting their targets and keept their routes. The didnt step on each others toes.

The translation is ok and has not too many typos but i already look forward to the patch that brings the english text options.

Last words:

As said the more natural ambient, the more fluid animations and the really beautifull graphics feel like a very organic whole.

That BIS still has to polish things is sure, however i already have the feeling that this time they dont have to fix so much. When i think of the release-desaster of ArmA1 then i got served lot better with this title even if it still has edges.

And now excuse me please, my Razor-Team waits for me....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Shadow NX

Nothing of the above wasnt already discussed in lenght or shown countless times in videos, especially the first mission.

Thanks Shadow NX

Sounds pretty much like a winner for me as some bugs are to be expected but the foundation sounds much healthier than ARMA.

Question:Does the AI actually lean and if so do they do it in an intelligent way?

Nothing of the above wasnt already discussed in lenght or shown countless times in videos, especially the first mission.

Ok. Then i have missed some of those vids.

TheOverseer continued his "first impression report" here

He mentions a few minor bugs he had with the ingame map ( some sort of selection bug which disappeared after a while ) and that he can't get Anti Aliasing to work properly. Apart from that he says he has alot of fun , it runs stable and smooth for him with good graphics ( ShadowNX quoted his specs above )

we need 1920x1080 resolution pics minimum :)

If I manage to get the game tomorrow, I'll be posting some. :)