Sign in to follow this  
EricM

Latest ArmA2 & ArmA2:OA Press Coverage | NO discussion here!

Here I am looking at this thread, hoping that if I go to the last page, I will find the latest links to press coverage, but no. And then there is 330 pages! No way am I sifting through that looking for links...

So far I have read the Eurogamer Preview, the IGN Preview, and the ArmA2 better than crysis article, does anyone know if there are any others out there?

Thanks.

I agree would be nice if a mod would compile a list of press links.

Why not use this page http://www.armaholic.com/index.php?c=news_arma_2

They update everything that crops up. This thread serves the purpose of discussing the links.

thx for that link.

in the newest videos you can hear those voices within the town, is that the trigger or something for all villages and towns? all that driveling, laughing and stuff? I hope not.

Besides that, the footsteps are a bit too loud in my opinion.

Just saw the all videos and here are the things i dislike so far:

- Sound transition isnt right (especially from moving inside to outside, ie. chopper)

- AI seems very stupid, no improvement can be seen from OFP/arma (at least in this preview version)

- I dont like the way the team reports enemies "target S" etc. They should say something like "Target bearing 180" or more precise "Target bearing 156". You can use your compass to check the bearing.

Edited by Rebel@heart

Target bearing 156? Do you really think in the middle of a battle someone is going to look down the generally south facing road, check to see if it is 24degrees off? they are on foot in a battle, not a survey crew confirming a crooked right-of-way. I rather like the informative callout, that is very 'human' in it's inprecision.

Why not use this page http://www.armaholic.com/index.php?c=news_arma_2

They update everything that crops up. This thread serves the purpose of discussing the links.

Thanks for the link. Went there and read the French article, translated via Google Translate as follows:

For novices, this means that the melee at the M16 to 1 against 230 during that half of the universe explodes in the background are (thankfully) not always in the program, and it is still facing a FPS that focuses on long walks in nature and exchanges of fire range where we will try as best they could to avoid detection from our planque in the tall grass.

Lol, watch out for the half the universe exploding!

And of course it's good to know that this FPS focusses on long walks in nature! Heh heh, well actually, thats probably true, I love games where you can go for long walks in nature and it feels real - bring on the FARMA2!

Target bearing 156? Do you really think in the middle of a battle someone is going to look down the generally south facing road, check to see if it is 24degrees off? they are on foot in a battle, not a survey crew confirming a crooked right-of-way. I rather like the informative callout, that is very 'human' in it's inprecision.

Depends on how "wide" the target is you are calling for.

If the target takes only 0.1 degrees on the azimuth, I would be very precise with my bearings.

If the target is a couple degrees wide, like a car on a few hundred meters distance, just "south" would suffice.

Edited by Pirate.
never mind... all fine

You are aware that you can zoom in Armed Assault?

yes sure.. it was possible in ofp aswell.. (played ofp for 3-4 years, made an own island..) but in Armed Assault / ARMA2 it seems like u allways "have to" zoom when u target/shoot an enemy.. thats what i dont like.. but the rest looks great to me! :bounce3:

Reduce the AI skill as low as it goes in the difficulty options and play a mission with AI where their skill is set to low in the editor (in ArmA 1). Even worse results I bet :p

Well.. No. There is easy, and there is badly bugged easy. Now i believe that BI noticed that the AI was/is slow as fuck there and that it will be changed in the final built. But in that build its obviously crap. That doesnt mean the AI is bad, it just means that its slow which ruins the gameplay. :p

Jepp sadly!

Seems to be still almost same game mechanics with same limitations, flaws and whatnot...

A very deep Engine Modification for more freedom and finally fix all this flaws, seems for any future continue of the series, inevitable... At least if they want to stay up-to-date after almost one decade

Btw, it was posted already in the pictures thread...

Strange nobody posted this here yet some new videos

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=5567

two words of warning though:

1) it is loud so lower speaker

2) the way the guy plays in the first video is rather irritating :p

looks like the February build to me

My god, as soon as he pulled the pistol, I wanted to vomit...for now I know I wont be using a pistol in arma 2 for that exact reason the player didn't. awkward, ugly fps view/contol :j:

as for positive point, sheeps can open doors! that bit made me chuckle :D

Edited by Raphier

as for positive point, sheeps can open doors! that bit made me chuckle :D

That also means that the AI can open doors. :)

Interesting to see the Paratrooper bikes on top of that APC thing.. I wonder if you can take it off, or if its scripted on for a mission.

My god, as soon as he pulled the pistol, I wanted to vomit...for now I know I wont be using a pistol in arma 2 for that exact reason the player didn't. awkward, ugly fps view/contol :j:

What's wrong with it?

Hey you guys seen the pic with the bikes and troops ontop of the Apc? Awesome stuff!

That might be true but you are aware that there are publishers waiting for the game to sell? That there are contracts made between them and BIS which don't magically disappear because the game is not 100% ready? I'm with you here but you have to tell that the publishers.

That sadly is true... :(

How do you know by this one pic and besides... what do you think would you hit sitting on top of a APC that rumbles over rough terrain?

I guess some see the screen and say hey neat Tankrider functions while others just see another flaw.

I guess its like the story of the either half full or half empty glass...

If i was a BIS dev i definatly wouldnt be able to live without Aspirine or at least a daily dose of Baldrian ^^

How do you know by this one pic and besides... what do you think would you hit sitting on top of a APC that rumbles over rough terrain?

Im pretty sure it was mentioned a while ago that it probably wouldnt be in the release version. :confused:

while others just see another flaw.

I guess its like the story of the either half full or half empty glass...

If i was a BIS dev i definatly wouldnt be able to live without Aspirine or at least a daily dose of Baldrian ^^

Your point of view, granted and a fair point after all....

But how about this:

"If i were a BIS Decision maker and i would start at a point with Arma1 Engine from latest version, i would force all available resources into fixing ~9 year old and super annoying limitations of the engine.

I list you a few:

- Fix that you can shoot out of all positions you every want to, basically be able to draw-out a gun while sitting in a cargo position inside a M113/bradley/BMP/whatever. Complete freedom here!

- Fix that you can freely move in and on each available vehicle if there is enough space and if its not totally contradicting basic physics.

- Fix all animation issues which exists (there are countless )

- Making a super AI which appears to be "more" human-like like Arma1's

- Give more freedom for this Infantry Simulator, by letting soldier for instance hang-down from low building roofs, climb over larger walls with help of comrades and so on... its millions of gameplay things which could be fixed..

- Simulate all Weapons and Vehicles simple but accurate. This means simulation of basic things like: bit longer startup, radar, proper lock-on, Tank FCS (just a simple one with a keypress-lase-fire procedure), FLIR and other NV optics, Countermeasures, etc. etc. etc... Remain it simple for the average gamer, or make a fallback option for super-arcade mode

- Proper Artillery and Mortar gunnery...

- Improve all MP handling, addon handling, etc.

- Ask all bigger Mod-Teams what script-commands and manipulations of config/model/etc. they would need and implement them.

This all INSTEAD of Polishing the game from outside with nicer graphics and nicer models and whatnot."

You see, Arma2 is like if you take a very old and rusty car, with countless broken parts and defects, but instead of fixing them, you invest all time and money into the best polishing machine+polishing creme, the best paint-repairing you can get and polish this baby into such a high gloss no-one saw before... but still in its inner-parts its the same defect and broken-down car....

I'm not saying or bashing BIS for the way they went and i have some sort of understanding for this, but still the above would be the way i would have went - my opinion is "gameplay-improvements over false shininess"

Ohh and, i was writing the above purely from a technological/game-machanical standpoint. in no way i want to deny or criticize that Arma2 has a awesome atmosphere, super nice story plot, nice campaign, super nice factions to chose from and whatnot other cool things.

Edited by mr.g-c

You do realize this would basically mean making a completely new engine from the scratch?

It's not like BIS wouldn't have done this already if it was as simple as changing 2 variables...

I hate this, there are 2 previews that i really want to have in that article, but since i'm Dutch i cant have access to it..

The first preview would be ArmA2, and the second Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad, the sequel to Red Orchestra, the most realistic ww2 online shooter you can find.

This sucks!:p

This is the press coverage thread, not the "hey I have this list of 8,000 things that they should put in the game or I'll be really, really sad and rant on internet forums until people listen to me" thread.

Please stay on topic.