Sign in to follow this  
EricM

Latest ArmA2 & ArmA2:OA Press Coverage | NO discussion here!

We just want to show war as it is with some moral consequences. Maybe from that point of view you will find more important things in ARMA then colour of AK grip. This game is not about fun from shooting, its more like if somebody like to read literature of fact or watch documentary film. Not for children, its about mature thinking...

And I, personally welcome this. Arma's campaign seriously lacked any real drive or motive to squash the SLA. Someone came up with the great idea of creating a mission that added war crimes, propaganda and consequences to ARMA when it first came out but it never took fruition. Resistance had that scene by the house in the mountains where you witnessed innocent civilians getting gunned down and that really fueled me to exact vengeance. This story sounds even superior in that aspect as there appears to be actual choices of whom to help and why.

We just want to show war as it is with some moral consequences. Maybe from that point of view you will find more important things in ARMA then colour of AK grip. This game is not about fun from shooting, its more like if somebody like to read literature of fact or watch documentary film. Not for children, its about mature thinking...

ok +, the fact that violence is a good asset to sell a lot of copies of a game (GTA for example).

@Walker, please don't compare Romeo and juliet with a video game. A game is only commercial product. CG stuff, yes i compare that with art.

BIS Modellers and Texturers are artists, but the final product is just a commercial product.

this is sad to see all the companies follow the same rules to sell their games.

I'm not against violence in games, but a mass grave is not necessary.

Why? You are essentially creating a mass grave with all the guys you shoot through the campaign, ever considered that? :D

Oh well. We can talk about your twisted views on video games in another topic.

This French site claims that the console version are canceled:

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=no&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gamekyo.com%2Fnews30875_arma-2-new-screenshots-and-bad-news.html&sl=fr&tl=en&history_state0=

In lack of information, they made up their own I guess.

Edited by sparks50

@Walker, please don't compare Romeo and juliet with a video game. A game is only commercial product.

Shakespeare wrote to make money.

I have to admit I was shocked by the picture. However I see nothing wrong with it being in the game.

Why? You are essentially creating a mass grave with all the guys you shoot through the campaign, ever considered that? :D

Oh well. We can talk about your twisted views on video games in another topic.

This French site claims that the console versions are canceled:

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=no&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gamekyo.com%2Fnews30875_arma-2-new-screenshots-and-bad-news.html&sl=fr&tl=en&history_state0=

Good insight, and hopefully we can get some clarification about the console version.

ok +, the fact that violence is a good asset to sell a lot of copies of a game (GTA for example).

@Walker, please don't compare Romeo and juliet with a video game. A game is only commercial product. CG stuff, yes i compare that with art.

BIS Modellers and Texturers are artists, but the final product is just a commercial product.

this is sad to see all the companies follow the same rules to sell their games.

I'm not against violence in games, but a mass grave is not necessary.

Have you even read Ohara's post?

War ain't pretty.

Both the original Flashpoint and the Resistance expansion were built around that.

Oh yes, I distinctly recall cutscenes involving the corpses of many of your fellow brothers in arms. And some of the dialogue between characters was pretty heavy with war detriment.

Ironic that BIS manage to achieve a certain beauty from one of the uglier aspects of humanity.

Look at most games and missions there are no ROE - who takes the part of civilians/residents? Its easy to throw a grenade or bomb a target - if there can only be the opponent. What if BIS created a campaign where the players had to think a bit more about their own actions?

Have you even read Ohara's post?

War ain't pretty.

Both the original Flashpoint and the Resistance expansion were built around that.

the war isn't the prob, i create myself weapons etc etc.

the question: the mass grave is it necessary?

This game is not about fun from shooting, its more like if somebody like to read literature of fact or watch documentary film

i'm just afraid to see one day one WW2 game/Mod make Nazi Death camp with heaps of body.

the question: the mass grave is it necessary?

I believe it plays an important role in the campaign, so yes.

Well no one else can tell you what and what not to be offended by. Personally, I don't find mass-graves offensive in a War-Sim as it serves to tell the story of a war crime and injustice and not merely to shock and tittilate to our baser instincts -think killing hookers and taking their money in GTA.

...@Walker, please don't compare Romeo and juliet with a video game. A game is only commercial product. CG stuff, yes i compare that with art...

Hi all

D@nte I think like sparks50 said you suffer from a little cultural elitism.

D@nte Bill Shakeshaft created his plays as a commercial product, to put food on his kids table, buy his family a nice house, ensure his company of players continued to to be employed and that his playhouses continued to attract customers; in essence that his business, a commercial venture, continued to thrive. His business existed and we know he was one of those who ran it and it had competitors like Bacon and many others.

William Shakespeare created his plays only 140 years after the printing press was invented. It was the post dot com era of its time. The Spanel brothers created their "Games" 50 years after the electronic computer was invented. I am sure if born in the modern era William Shakespeare would be working as a competitor to the Spanel brothers.

The assumption that "Video Games" are not art is a false one. The same false assumption that film could never be art that existed until "Birth of a Nation"

As virtually anything can be Art. It is the quality of what is produced that distinguishes whether it is art not the media.

Even if virtually anything can be art, there are levels of quality. (Thomas Hoving)

It is the quality that distinguishes Art.

Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives. (William A. Foster)

BIS plainly have the record of producing something a little bit more than the bog standard ego shooter. Whether they produce Art with ArmA II is a matter yet be decided but D@nte your assumption that video games cannot be Art is just plane wrong.

I think the inclusion of civilians, wildlife, complex environments, all point to quality and therefore a heart of Art in ArmA II. It is that complexity and care for detail that distinguish ArmA from the Ego Shooters without. There is the quality.

I point to Homeworld, Starlancer and yes BIS's OFP1 as proof that video games can have the quality that makes them Art.

This is clearly a complex debate and I look forward to discussing it with you more.

On the matter of your offence to images of a mass killing. I think not having them is worse. That is a way of inferring violence has no human effect. As froggyluv points out it is the killing without consequence of the Ego Shooter that is the true crime in game making.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

BRAVO BRAVO BRAVO

MR. WALKER you have the art of talk and you sir are a master of the english word. My hat is off to you sir.

My guess is a TrackIR 6dof Arma 2 demonstration.

Or prank calling McDonalds with the Iphone :yay:

Edited by sparks50

My guess is a TrackIR 6dof Arma 2 demonstration.

Or prank calling McDonalds with the Iphone :yay:

OR BOTH!:yay::yay:

Well... I think for one it's something to do with external devices (or cameras) enabling face capture because that is blatantly a picture of himself on the iPhone possibly mapped onto an Arma2 model... you grown your hair dslyecxi?

...you grown your hair dslyecxi?

My GOD HE IS A HIPPY!

Drat now I have to think of something serious to say so I do not get slapped for spam!

So possibilities

Long in game play video

US Release date.

X-Box 360 version

Rucksacks

New Toys! That we have not seen yet!

Phew Saved by the skin of my teeth

kind Regards walker

Omg you people. He's just showing off his gadgets at his workstation.

It's not like it will involve bottled water, a pencil and a post it note aswell.

I think he will show us a proper gameplay vid of the beta, since the review vids have been crap. Hopefully he includes showing the AI, the destruction model, the current radiovoices, the train, the naval units etc etc.. :h:

Isn't the track-IR the same in Arma 2 as in Arma 1? If so, why would he focus on that?

If you are right, i believe hes the right person to the supposed demonstration.

I would be glad if he would do it. At least a proper person would know what to do and what to show to this lovely community.