Sign in to follow this  
EricM

Latest ArmA2 & ArmA2:OA Press Coverage | NO discussion here!

Well, it is clear how to rebuild them and stuff, but the problem was, that it is strange that destructed buildings since OFP where rebuilded automagically during the campaign and Batdog wanted them to stay destructed. I just pointed out, that some buildings can be key element during the campaign and therefore would need to get rebuilt once destructed.

Indestructable buildings is not a solution to me, since any intense bombardment would destruct any building, in parts or the entire thing.

As a member of Team Razor, I doubt that we will be ordered to raze a civil building, let alone a city in the campaign.

They are a small team sent to "sneak in" behind enemy lines (at least at the beginning of the campaign), maybe shoot a few key bad guys, ambush a few convoys and booby trap an enemy base, but probably not to blow up a civilian building and a church full of babushkas.

Causing such casualties will probably make the mission a failure, thus resolving the question of destructible buildings in the campain : by mission design !

From 505 PR :

“ArmA has such a vociferous community behind it that we new we had to get this one absolutely rightâ€

LOL ! Now we scare them...

Well, it is clear how to rebuild them and stuff, but the problem was, that it is strange that destructed buildings since OFP where rebuilded automagically during the campaign and Batdog wanted them to stay destructed. I just pointed out, that some buildings can be key element during the campaign and therefore would need to get rebuilt once destructed.

Indestructable buildings is not a solution to me, since any intense bombardment would destruct any building, in parts or the entire thing.

There isn't really a good solution to that problem, unless the campaign was designed to take destroyed buildings into account and branch off into alternative missions when needed. But that would just take too much work.

@ArmA release date:

Well, since it's apparently official and confirmed by BIS, at least now we finally have something to hold on to instead of wild speculation. It may sound stupid, but I am honestly thinking about taking my holidays around that date. :D

Correct, therefor: live with it :P

@Release date: Wow that is close to our usual Clan-Lan this year's July. I strongly hope they do not push it back any further!

Edited by Hoot

Good ones, seems finally some previewers found out that they can activate AA in their driver manually :p

There isn't really a good solution to that problem, unless the campaign was designed to take destroyed buildings into account and branch off into alternative missions when needed. But that would just take too much work.

@ArmA release date:

Well, since it's apparently official and confirmed by BIS, at least now we finally have something to hold on to instead of wild speculation. It may sound stupid, but I am honestly thinking about taking my holidays around that date. :D

Can't you do it by script?

So lets say i make a campaign in which in for instance "Mission 3" Artillery destroys a whole town, later in campaign "Mission 7" you return to this city to clear enemy rebels who using this ruins as hideouts?

Or is this completely impossible?

So lets say i make a campaign in which in for instance "Mission 3" Artillery destroys a whole town, later in campaign "Mission 7" you return to this city to clear enemy rebels who using this ruins as hideouts?

Possibly yes, by storing a flag file from Mission 3 and open the flag file during mission 7.

What is flag file.basically all buildings have flag that can have only two arguments: True or False, if True, then that building is demolished.

flagfile(s) would contain all buildings with flag argument and use another script(flagfile maker) that watches the health of building and writes the flagfile according the demolition.

So during reading the flagfile, Mission 7 recognizes houses called:

banya3_malek01: True

Teremok_malek02: False

and then re-constructs/demolishes/put it's health to zero, banya3_malek01 during loading/certain moment. (flagfile loader)

That's how I would do it...

Edited by Raphier

I don't know about Arma 2, but campaigns in ArmA1 and OFP were pretty static, even though you could make branching missions depending on outcomes.

So you couldn't really do it via script, but if you foresaw the possibility of that particular town or building being destroyed, you could make the campaign branch into a certain mission that takes it for granted.

But this is really getting a bit off-topic again. ;)

@ New GameSpot pics:

What do they show? I can't look at them. :mad:

You mean save up for a new rig right? :D

Seriously looking forward to this.

wow!, but is it certain then that these screenshots are from a 360 build??

I would love to hear some confirmation if this is really from the 360 version...

I mean.. it's in the xbox 360 version of the site... Can someone from BI please confirm this? (o, I asked this 2 time in the same post didn't I? :D )

SuddenDeath reported that Morpicon (German publisher) stick to their releasedate at the end of may (29.may).

http://www.armamdb.de/phpkit/include.php?path=content/news.php&contentid=1424

Seems the Germans are again the betatesters for the rest of the world.

maybe intressting the final Systemreqs:

minimum:

• Dual Core CPU (Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz, Intel Core 2.0 GHz, AMD Athlon 3200+ or faster)

• 1 GB RAM

• GPU (Nvidia Geforce 7800 / ATI Radeon 1800 or faster), Shader Model 3 and 256 MB VRAM

• Windows XP

• DVD (Dual Layer compatible)

• 10 GB free HDD

recommended :

• Quad Core CPU oder Dual Core CPU (Intel Core 2.8 GHz, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ or faster)

• 2 GB RAM

• faster GPU (Nvidia Geforce 8800GT / ATI Radeon 4850 or faster), Shader Model 3 and 512 MB VRAM

• Windows XP oder Windows Vista

• DVD (Dual Layer compatible)

• 10 GB free HDD

Edited by Raptor

SuddenDeath reported that Morpicon stick to their releasedate at the end of may.

Hope that's true. I'll buy the german D/L version as soon as it's available like i did with Arma.

Just got my "new" dual core processor from EBAY so i'm ready for it.

At the end of VG247's article it says: "ArmA II will be released for 26th June exclusively for PC. For all the latest information please visit www.arma2.com"

I bet they wanna put out the PC Version first and get that one right and not spend more time with putting it on consoles until it is released... Plus the community wants the PC title baaad and it's easier to fix a bug on the pc, i guess... Getting console players later is nice for the money but they can wait a little...

something else: International cover looks waaay better!!!

looks crappy that the guy in the german version is shooting and it's too much text! I like it just being Arma II on the international one... plus that there is no flag in the background...

Edited by tribun83

Does the German version have an English version included at release? Germans are known for dubbing everything, and as much as i like Germans, i just cant stand the thought of everyone in the world speaking German. :D

I bet they wanna put out the PC Version first and get that one right and not spend more time with putting it on consoles until it is released... Plus the community wants the PC title baaad and it's easier to fix a bug on the pc, i guess... Getting console players later is nice for the money but they can wait a little...

A refreshing change from the usual attitude of developers to release for console first, and make a poorly patched PC port 6-12 months later...

@Nemesis: Yes, German ArmA version can be switched to English via ingame switch - i switched, since there are some serious translation glitches like the M203 is translated into "Raketenwerfer" what would mean 'rocketlauncher', instead of "Granatwerfer" what means exactly what is described, a grenade launcher. However, the feature to switch the language came later with a patch and was not accessible at first iirc.

The usual things with translations. Best example is how the german dub studio that dubs The Simpsons translates 'second hand smoking' that rather means to smoke passively (a native speaker told me so) than to smoke something, that someone already had smoked :D In German 'second hand smoking' was translated into "Zweite Hand rauchen", meaning the last part of the sentence above this one. And that's bullshit because it should mean "Passivrauchen". The dub authors mostly don't know sayings or abbreviations, that's why many times, its better to have movies and games and even books (i did it with Bowden's BHD and Killing Pablo, Wright's Generation Kill and Hooker's M.A.S.H) in English.

Edited by Hoot

@Nemesis: Yes, German ArmA version can be switched to English via ingame switch, as i did. But that came later with a patch and was not accessible at first iirc.

Thats why i asked 'at release'. ;)

Now it seems it come out at the same time as the english one.

These article says end of june as the 505 one. :confused:

Also the second big german magazine say 26. june.

http://www.gamestar.de/news/pc/action/taktik-shooter/1955706/arma_2.html

Edit:

Ok seems it was a missunderstanding, the Releasedate is 29. may.

Its to confusing for me...

Edited by Raptor

Thats why i asked 'at release'. ;)

Sry dude, missed that :D