Sign in to follow this  
EricM

Latest ArmA2 & ArmA2:OA Press Coverage | NO discussion here!

Destructible houses was not iplmented in february build, please calm down and be patient, press version is from alpha, no final voiceover, no buildings destruction, not final UI and still some bugs. It for showing basic game conceps and overal atmosphere.

Ah ok, thanks for the quick reply.

Im more relaxed then, thank you. :cool:

Destructible houses was not iplmented in february build, please calm down and be patient, press version is from alpha, no final voiceover, no buildings destruction, not final UI and still some bugs. It for showing basic game conceps and overal atmosphere.

Yeah I know ;) But will Javelin will be improved also ? :)

I still think it looks very good, even though the video is missing some things and is possibly outdated now.

I am eagerly awaiting for Arma II but the building destruction test video was a let down. The building is "swallowed" by the ground after getting hit by 25 mm fire.

and the

from the preview video at 0:48 and 1:31 and 3:44, is really annoying and it seems this phrase comes back often :(

edit : thanks ohara for the news when I started typing my message, your message was not displayed.

Edited by MQ-9 Reaper
new info

Have you guys seen that vids:

ArmA2 countryside (PC Dome)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk-mlGLvmIo

YouTube - ArmA2 Urban Fight preview version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjZUQ-WJUmY

YouTube - ArmA2 building destruction test

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK2WDKLn6Fo

I really liked what i saw.

The sounds are much more better compared to OFP & ArmA. Lot's of ambient sounds etc. Like fighters flying above, distant explosions, small arms fire, breathing when wounded & footsteps.

Though some of the voices are a little bit annoying. Like "Corpsman !" or "Man".

I really can't wait to install ArmA 2 on my HD and start playing campaign. :yay:

Edited by Potatomasher

The envirionment in those youtube movies is just beautiful.

But something to analyse:

Radio protocol (clearly not finished yet - BTW anyone noticed how 'corpsman' is pronounced in one of the videos? shouldn't it be without 'p' and 's'?) is IMHO much improved.

- reporting more than one enemy in one sentence should reduce radio chatter spam: "ENEMY Man and Machinegunner, front, close to us" (http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/958404/arma-2/images/arma-ii-20090420042213746.html)

- more intuitive locations used in commands descriptions: "move 500, west", "move 500 south of Prigrorodki" (village name, I think), "ENEMY Man in Grishino" (village again),

We have a bridge accross something which could (hopefully) be some kind of river (http://www.pcdome.hu/image.php?image=/gallery/3307/image67.jpg&caption=ArmA%202)

The most sadening is that I could see next to no AI improvements (maybe only in pathfinding but it's hard to tell). No using cover in firefights, no cooperation of team members (only suicidal 'engage' command), no suppressing fire.

Corpsman is pronounced "core-man" BTW, when they say "corpse-man" it sounds funny and morbid.

Edit: Lecholas beat me

Edited by sparks50

I think they should use 'Doc' designation. It's easier and resembles Medic. and in same time it's a nickname for Corpsmen.

and this:

http://translate.google.de/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pcdome.hu%2Fcikk%2F2421%2Farma_2_pc&sl=hu&tl=en&history_state0=

needs a good translation. From what understood, they found tutorials annoying and lacking, especially, when it didn't tell properly about using UAV's

also talking with civilians was annoying according to google. something gamers would find annoying, you just ask them same questions and they answer always same and always corrent .....still wtf.

but overally it seems they liked it.

Definitions:

Corpsman:

1. U.S. Navy . an enlisted person working as a pharmacist or hospital assistant.

2. U.S. Army . an enlisted person in the Medical Corps who accompanies combat troops into battle to give first aid, carry off the wounded, etc.

3. a member of any corps, as of the Peace Corps.

Origin:

1940–45, Americanism

Medic:

1. a member of a military medical corps; corpsman.

2. a doctor or intern.

3. a medical student.

Origin:

1650–60; < L medicus

In my opinion the Corpsman is outdated. Also its easier to say Medic then Corpsman when the time is needed.

The only dissapointments I saw was the Javelin. Unchanged from ArmA 1. I don't know how the Javelin works in VBS 2, but maybe it is possible to combine it with ArmA 2? Bohemia Interactive said that they will incorporate VBS 2features into ArmA 2.

Corpsman is pronounced "core-man" BTW, when they say "corpse-man" it sounds funny and morbid.

Same here, but maybe the other voices will say it correctly. Maybe they'll say "U.S. Marine Corpse" instead of "U.S. Marine Core" in the game? :)

The AI voices seem improved from before. "Target eliminated" and "Hostile down" sound much better than "Grenadier is history," or "I've got him."

I also like how the character moans in pain after getting shot. Nice touch.

My favorite feature that I saw in the video is where one of the Marines says over the radio "You guys see that?" and then another Marine replies "See what?" The the first Marine says "Probably nothing, forget it." It makes the radio chatter seem much more realistic and would fit in a relaxed state of alert, such as "safe," but it seems out of place when there is a raging battle going on and the state of alert is most likely at "Combat/Danger."

In my opinion the Corpsman is outdated. Also its easier to say Medic then Corpsman when the time is needed.

We all went over this before a few pages back. No, and I repeat, no U.S. Marine would ever yell "medic" when wounded. ArmA 2 is U.S. Marines, so using the word "Corpsman" would make perfect sense. End of story.

The most sadening is that I could see next to no AI improvements.

The IGN preview from April 20, 2009 said that the A.I. use cover and "run around" often.

However, in the Hungarian preview, the A.I. just stood around pointing their rifles at the character waiting not firing a shot. Note that the Hungarian preview is from February 2009, and the IGN preview is much more updated.

Edited by Laqueesha

Don't even think about having the medic-corpsman discussion again in this thread.

The enemy AI in the urban scenario did not seem impressive. When that group rounds the corner at 25 seconds, they just run right into the line of fire and the guy in front tries to throw a grenade :eek: Other guys were just standing there to be gunned down and hearing the incoming battle, should have taken up some kind of position or at least be crouched -very worrisome!

What is the verbal delay and octave change when ordering:

"^^^Engage that .....---man"

Since 'Man' seems to be the most heard target, why not have multiple recordings or at least one that fits the same range as the rest of the command.

there are alot of pages here, i confess that i might missed some due to this subject.

Ill review the hole thread and see what was discussed. Can someone spare some time and point me out witch page it is please?

Just a reminder

Don't even think about having the medic-corpsman discussion again in this thread.

Hvala, jer neki pojedinci su stvarno opterećeni nevažnim stvarima :)

Why the screenies look 100 times worse than the video itself is beyond me ???? Resize issue again?

Both the pictures and the videos are taken @ normal settigns. ;) The reviewer guy himself said that.

I just watched over a few old OFP youtube vids and I honestly think think the radio comms in flashpoint are way better than both ArmaII and Arma1 in terms of not being robotic.

Why on earth you changed it is beyond me... The few little improvements in armaII are good, but the robot radio comms is still predominant (WIP i know).

Originally Posted by ohara

I watched new ArmA2 previews on armaholic and I gotto say that I am very impressed. Although it needs some tweeks but very nice.

Hvala, jer neki pojedinci su stvarno opterećeni nevažnim stvarima

mmm..i don't see the point to write in czeck here, and spamming is not good for making that thread readable, which is already hard to follow with those boring corpsman/medic neverending talks :plain:

I just watched over a few old OFP youtube vids and I honestly think think the radio comms in flashpoint are way better than both ArmaII and Arma1 in terms of not being robotic

Maybe should you give a try and play OFP ! There's a lot of toys to play with :292:

Originally Posted by ohara

While we are being smart arses....

I just watched over a few old OFP youtube vids and I honestly think think the radio comms in flashpoint are way better than both ArmaII and Arma1 in terms of not being robotic.

Why on earth you changed it is beyond me... The few little improvements in armaII are good, but the robot radio comms is still predominant (WIP i know).

And to further my comment. The old targeting system was perfect (almost) but the way they said "TARGET........ that....... MAN" was far from it.

I think changing the "2 O'Clock....at 500m" (which was perfect) to "front, far from us" is pretty stupid. When we asked for less robotic voices, we didn't mean casual radio comms with "scratch that" and "far from us", we meant a better flowing speach system without the huge pauses and sudden changes in tone.

The current Arma1 system was way better for targeting enemies.

ArmaI / OFP:

"2 O'Clock, Machine gunner at 500m"

action: you look towards two O'clock and look ~500m out and spot the enemy. Takes 2-5 seconds.

ARMAII:

"Machine gunner, right, far from us"

action: you scan the right side of you (pretty freaking big ark you're scanning) and look "far from us"... which is purely subjective and doesn't give any meaningful distance apart from maybe >100m... but again.. this is subjective. You finally spot the enemy after a good 10-15 seconds of scanning your "right" if he hasn't spotted you already.

That's probably my only gripe so far. I know it's a WIP but i doubt they would put all that stuff in only to change it all back for release.

The rest of it seems fantastic though. The sound engine is :yay::yay::bounce3: and the overall atmosphere seems reeaally good.

I'm still really looking forward to the game but I think that radio comms has taken a step backwards rather than forward.

Maybe should you give a try and play OFP ! There's a lot of toys to play with :292:

I played OFP when it came out (and years of modding mind you). But I havn't played it in so long I forgot what it was like.

Edited by cm

Hvala, jer neki pojedinci su stvarno opterećeni nevažnim stvarima :)

Which part of the forum rules saying "post only in english language" you don't understand?