Sign in to follow this  
EricM

Latest ArmA2 & ArmA2:OA Press Coverage | NO discussion here!

Judging by the large amount of bugs seen in screenshots and previews, it seems unrealistic to me that the game will be completely sorted out in May or June.

Edited by sparks50

Overall the DoupÄ›.cz is very positive (maybe too much? :p), the author praises the artificial intelligence, both of the enemy and your team - it is said to be very capable and almost on par with human player.

Your right, this aircraft vehicle that BIS showed in their dev blog look how it looks here http://games.tiscali.cz/reviews/arma...erze/img26.jpg LOW textures and details compared with this: http://www.armaholic.com/pfs.php?m=v...mory_blog2.jpg

Shame tiscali...

maybe it was caused by wrongly loading models and textures ?

i had such problems in Arma 1 since beggining, nevermind super looking screens, while in gaming, model in LOD 1 appears half seconds after LOD 6 ?

so maybe they made screens from games "as it is on PC", not "waiting for the best look" ?

for me Arma1 was not playable till 1.08, maybe Tiscali had the same problem here in A2 ?

and thats why it looks like it looked

No parralax free sights, no Vehicle Nightvision/FLIR support, military incorrectness, fucked up russian army weapon collections, not-so-impressing loadout system, reloadable "non-reloadable AT weapons"/ etc...

If each one is a bullet then i have more then enought to fully load up a Revolver to committe sucide.

I am not a GFX guy, orthrough the new screenshot do looks sub-zeroly cool i am still remain as hopeless as i have been for a while

Anyway I guess i will stop my ranting here before getting a stroke, those picture do looks great.

Edited by 4 IN 1

Just one question, what's with the Taiwanese flag on the cardboard boxes?

Doh its the same cardboard boxes that was in some civilian houses in Operation flashpoint 1 :D

You know the really small fishermans houses that had white walls? :)

hehe who knows maybe its the same dude that made 'em?

I remember you could place the boxes in the mission editor under empty objects or something :D

Hello,

The age old problem , the more information you have , the more questions arise.

Its bit of a shame I can't read czech tho.

It seems Mr.AI still does "Engaging" a lot. Does that simply mean something else these days or do single AI units still perform suicidal attacks all by themselves?

For people leading AI squads that might be an option if you can't be arsed to lead them , but for computer controlled squads that is the primary cause of death.

Can't wait to see if in the final version both the AI and the AI control makes this a fun game for tactical gaming or if yet again all you can do is run around with your human "clan"-mates shooting rather pitiful AI enemys as target practice.

And no amount of infantry gimmicks will make up for that. Neither in popular mods nor in Arma2.

Damn, i hope they wont repeat the same crap they did with ArmA1, release it a month ( or so ) earlier to get all the first buyers but in a shape that wasnt playable without getting a patch ( Securom problem resulted in extremely low framerates ).

I know its tempting for a publisher to do this because all the hardcore fans will try to grab a german version if it really comes out a month earlier but i and most others would be rather happy to get a more round version a few days later.

To be fair..I am not impressed (graphics aside), it looks exactly like Arma, seems to play like arma, feels like arma and still is arma :(

If this is what they call the ultimate Game 2, I am not impressed at all. New GUI system, yay!, same GUI for bullet counter? one huge uba, green, uba, transparent GUI with LOTS OF SPACE? What is this ? 0,o

I thought this was supposed to be oh so, rushed Arma feature. And where is my gun (not on screen) when I am trying to aim from hip to the right! it just disappears into INNERBODY?

Characters still seem as if their retarded heads had their own life! (look full left, while shooting! wtf!, they don't even look into sights while aiming).

Once again, boring interiors with no proper usefulness :*( (tanks).

And what's up with this IK system with guns? I SEE NONE IK USED THERE!

No first person animations? Pass!

I am sorry, but I feel like I would pass this one...I already paid for this game,yes, it's called Arma, and this just is a CAMPAIGN DLC with new eyecandy.

My OFP/Arma friends seem be not happy with all these relevations :(

Edited by Raphier
OOPS

It seems Mr.AI still does "Engaging" a lot. Does that simply mean something else these days or do single AI units still perform suicidal attacks all by themselves?

For people leading AI squads that might be an option if you can't be arsed to lead them , but for computer controlled squads that is the primary cause of death.

You can prevent that with: "groupname enableattack false"-code. I am using that a lot on my latest arma mission (Fly Like An Eagle) and its works really good and makes a group much more powerfull.

It's look like you already played a demo at least. Can you share a link?

All those arguments are taken from all screenshots (not that we need to play the demo before starting an argument, but screenshot is worth thousands words) and most of what is in screens are exactly same as screenshots of arma 1. :eek:

http://www.armaholic.com/datas/users/4-tiscali_games_preview_april_13.jpg

Edited by Raphier

[...]no Vehicle Nightvision/FLIR support[...]

It was neither denied nor was it confirmed by Jan, that there is something optically similar to thermal imaging in ArmAII or not. So the case remains in the state of 'perhaps' (Maruk stated something similar).

A nightvision device on a vehicle is not really important i think, since you have nv-googles available with your avatar. What i don't find really amusing is, that it seems that although you have uber-modern military items in the game, like the F35 and more, there is no thermal imaging device available - from the beginning. This is a little curious for a modern battlefield simulator i guess.

However, since BIS have re-designed the water surface simulation, there is probably a little chance to have at least something rudimentary in the game. We don't speak of physically correct measurements and cooling devices here, but a simple visualisation of the visual behaviour of items or parts of them, emitting heat -> signature in thermal optics, and a single switch to change polarisation modes.

This is by far the most important enhancement over OFP and ArmA for me, straight following 'stepping over little obstacles', 'more gunner positions', 'the micro ai' and maybe some things we don't know yet.

I don't blame BIS for not having thermal imaging in focus during development, and i can understand that not every single point will get into the game - like fire controls systems for tanks or so. Anyhow, i find it sad. So i would become desperately unhappy, if thermal imaging would absolutely have no chance to get into the game by a CEO's (or <fillinanyimportantposition>) decision. Later delivered enhancements or patches could provide it.

Thermal imaging is absolutely NOT new to the military. Leopard tank crews for example know this features since the late 1970s. Gamers since 1999 - faked in AvP with textures and certainly without real mapping techniques.

Maybe BIS' demands high standards from themselves, that's why to simulate it means in their codex to have it close to reality and not just as visually simulated only - that would be a reason ;)

Let's see what's coming...

Edited by Hoot

http://games.tiscali.cz/reviews/arma-2-dojmy-z-preview-verze/

there are screens showing :

- not fully loaded textures on models , boooo , althought very strong PC used :/

- bright ground looking down, not bright looking higher ? is it mean that A1 HDR is still like that ?

- of course island and vehicles look super, but will they work on non-NASA computers ???

You can prevent that with: "groupname enableattack false"-code.

hahahaha

and once again "let other addonmakers fix what was not done by developers" ?

it should be good engine, not seeking for scripts and etc to make game better

However, since BIS have re-designed the water surface simulation

heh, i don't care about watef surface if:

- vest not protects vs. pistol bullet

- 2 shot in leg kill man (maybe)

- HDR works bad (have no idea)

- textures dissappear

- thermal vision would be good if game is in 2011, not Cold War era

- AI suicide engagement and not support fire

- you can kill all vehicle by fire in doors, windows (dammage structure)

- AI will lost in city (pathfinding)

- AI won't choose type of ammo (i wonder is still AI use Stinger vs. BMP ???, is HEAT/Sabot will be fired into squad of infantry ?)

i really don't care about eye-candies :/

Gamers since 1999 - faked in AvP

yes, 10 years ago, and even body-parts destruction

Edited by vilas

...but screenshot is worth thousands words

Are you serious or just kidding? Wait till Arma2 is "done" (+ release patch) and judge on your own - playing the game. ;)

http://games.tiscali.cz/reviews/arma-2-dojmy-z-preview-verze/

there are screens showing :

- not fully loaded textures on models , boooo , althought very strong PC used :/

- bright ground looking down, not bright looking higher ? is it mean that A1 HDR is still like that ?

- of course island and vehicles look super, but will they work on non-NASA computers ???

hahahaha

and once again "let other addonmakers fix what was not done by developers" ?

it should be good engine, not seeking for scripts and etc to make game better

Conclusion: Dont buy the game or at least wait for the first real tests once the game is out before moaning about things that you and others so far can only assume.

Especailly as the reviews i read said there wasnt anything extreme when it comes to lod changing or texture loading in this preview versions of ArmA2.

Oh and since that ArmA1 review i lost faith in Tiscalis credibility anyway so that surely aint a standard.

Edited by Shadow NX

Lol Vilas, i meant to say: As BIS has listened to the 'make the water surface looking more modern' call, there is probably a little chance to bring them to implement thermal imaging. Everybody has different preferences and thermal imaging is just mine ;)

So what you call 'eyecandy' is 3D-Api-wise interesting for me, and not just to see mechanics working. But you're right, those mechanics should work as well.

Edited by Hoot

All those arguments are taken from all screenshots (not that we need to play the demo before starting an argument, but screenshot is worth thousands words) and most of what is in screens are exactly same as screenshots of arma 1. :eek:

http://www.armaholic.com/datas/users/4-tiscali_games_preview_april_13.jpg

it uses the same engine developed from the very same game under the same concept from the very same person, what do you expect the game to look like? World of Warcraft?

edit: added quote to clear-up, not towards you Hoot ;)

Edited by 4 IN 1

Did you have addressed me with that question?

I have a lot of respect for most of the users in this community, but in the last 24 hours, I have seen something I was hoping wouldn’t rear its ugly head. I visit the OFPDR site regularly to laugh at all the immature rants, only to return here to see and read educated thoughtful posts/threads. Plain and simply put, quit bitching and whining:o:….. No one knows what the final build will perform like. Get back to the community that OFPDR cant obtain.

BIS team…….Things look really good, keep up the good work. I know “I†will spend years playing this sim.:bounce3:

Comparing the previews of today, with the newest screenshots (thx to Dslyecxi), the two german text about the community day in Munich, it seems that the version for the game previews is an older/different version. Many things seem to be chanching in the game at the moment.

I really like Armed Assault 1.15, so if ArmAII is an improved 1.15 which has more life, better graphics and performance (performance seemed to be great in Munich) i'm in a confident state of waiting what comes next.

After playing ACE mod for a long time (wich has many great features like the effects and the equipment etc.) i tried out vanilla again, i just can't get back to ACE now, because the weapon handling and gameplay is so smooth in arma etc. I don't like shooting a soldier again and again until he keeps lying on the ground. Don't get me wrong, i really like the most of ACE, it's a great mod! In vanilla it's just faster, more precise, better controllability, but it just doesn't looks so good, doesn't sound so good. But gameplay desides how long you play something.

But the "they have to do it lake that, everybody wants it like that" is just a question of taste and i would be dissapointed if ArmAII plays like ACE. There fore is modding, customizing your game according to your taste. It's like the discussion about "better looking than Crysis", good looking is a question of taste.

Tank interior would be nice in my opinion, because if you spend to long as a gunner in a tank, i just want to get my eyes off the optics to rest for a second. It's a detail, important if you are focused on tanks, but looking to the whole, it's minor. BIS needs to keep looking for the overall completeness i think.

Many people are very passionate about this game, so it gets very emotional in here, it's understandable, but sometimes it really pisses me off :rolleyes:

It could be far more constructive discussion in here... It's difficult to judge such a complex thing like this game, so don't judge so fast please!

BIS: Keep your good work up, i can't play Armed Assault anymore, because i see what might be coming :yay:

Yeah i talk much :biggrin: have a nice day

Nice screenshots...

I see a bulled wound on the chest of that soldier? The lighting in this game looks so amazing!

Edited by Ra!dar