Sign in to follow this  
EricM

Latest ArmA2 & ArmA2:OA Press Coverage | NO discussion here!

so again it is a sort of Joint Army/Navy Fuckup here? confused_o.gif

Hmm to be honest i also don't likes BIS lacking of accuracy when it comes to proper designations of units/used units in general of certain branches.

It would be no problem for BIS in doing it right, by just renaming that MLRS to HIMARS and add proper round count - problem solved.

Then that Exhaust pipe of Hummer from right to left side and all is good, or not? tounge2.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Hmm to be honest i also don't likes BIS lacking of accuracy when it comes to proper designations of units/used units in general of certain branches.

It would be no problem for BIS in doing it right, by just renaming that MLRS to HIMARS and add proper round count - problem solved.

Then that Exhaust pipe of Hummer from right to left side and all is good, or not? tounge2.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Dunno but, I like more M270 MLSR than HIMARS... even if it's not accurate but, M270 is so cool and powerful... So I think it should be like it is... wink_o.gif

Maybe its gsm jammer biggrin_o.gif

All of the US's artillery assets in ArmA 2 are US Army exclusive by the looks (M119 and M270). However, as a Brit I'm sort of happy they have them since both of them can stand in for British artillery systems (L118 and GMLRS).

Marine stuff would make more sense (i.e an M777 and a HIMARS) but they can explain it away and work it into the story if ALL artillery support is provided by the Army. Kinda like they did with all the American CAS assets in ArmA 1, being USMC when everything else was supposed to be Army. biggrin_o.gif

It's definitely not as bad as the Army/Marine mish-mash we had for the soldiers in ArmA 1.

Glad they've reskinned the Ka-52s from their previous all-over black prototype/demonstration scheme. If only they'd get rid of the prototype test instruments on the tip of the nose though. That would be a simple fix like swapping the HMMWV's exhaust over.

man nobody knows what a Himars is :P

MLRS is something seen in other games, I've seen it in some Rts games like aow direct action and C&C 1 biggrin_o.gif

I think its just pulling a name that people recognize wink_o.gif

rather than some name that 10 guys that served in the us army knows about wink_o.gif

whistle.gif

M270 MLRS

The M270 Multiple Launch Rocket System (M270 MLRS) is an unguided rocket artillery system. It is a very mobile unit well suited for the 'shoot-and-scoot' tactic. The system is capable of firing guided or unguided projectiles to distances of 42 km; or ballistic missiles to distances of 300 km.

arma2_vehicles_tracked_MLRS.jpg

yay.gif

I love the level of scrutiny that every passing screen cap gets! The bottomless index that is the wealth of knowledge from this community, about military hardware, regimenting, and most all other aspects.

And BIS I have always respected for solid support. But I'm fine with a few technicalities slipping by. As I'm sure the community will always forgive you... For now! nener.gif

P.S. Keep up the info stream, its really preparing us for what we're gonna get, and since you cant tell all, maybe some surprises? thumbs-up.gif

That M270 looks just damn kick-a** .

Yes , indeed it would have been nice if we had the HIMARS , but say thanks for reciving this nasty piece of hardware.

Both the US Army and USMC use the HIMARS, or atleast the US Army trains on them (but to only train makes little sense).

http://www.14faregiment.org/id17.html

If I recall correctly the MLRS was shown before the BM-21 so it is possible that at the time they did not have 'wheels with artillery' capability.  

They may have also chosen MLRS because in terms of firepower HIMARS Vs BM-21 would be exceedingly undercut, MLRS being the better choice for alittle balance. (although I wonder if there was just a typo on the ranges or if the BM-21 will cover only 30 maybe 60km vs the MLRS 300.)

As for the MH-60 that is sort of odd since it shows Navy on the tail yet information reads Army, maybe typo's? Or maybe because the army used it first...

I could also swear at some point in an older video I saw the CH-46 but don't hold me to it, either way it's pretty obvious they aren't showcasing everything.

Both the US Army and USMC use the HIMARS, or atleast the US Army trains on them (but to only train makes little sense).

http://www.14faregiment.org/id17.html

If I recall correctly the MLRS was shown before the BM-21 so it is possible that at the time they did not have 'wheels with artillery' capability.  

They may have also chosen MLRS because in terms of firepower HIMARS Vs BM-21 would be exceedingly undercut, MLRS being the better choice for alittle balance.

As for the MH-60 that is sort of odd since it shows Navy on the tail yet information reads Army, maybe typo's? Or maybe because the army used it first...

I could also swear at some point in an older video I saw the CH-46 but don't hold me to it, either way it's pretty obvious they aren't showcasing everything.

Before we were thinking that maybe we get the MH-60S Knighthawk (Navy) and we also get the UH-60 Blackhawk (Army). But who knows.

That M270 looks just damn kick-a** .

Yes , indeed it would have been nice if we had the HIMARS , but say thanks for reciving this nasty piece of hardware.

It probably is very kick-ass when i have to cross field filled with dud bomblets now working as mines, of course i'm in the side which chosed to use MRLS strike in the first place. So hopefully high dud rate is modelled also. tounge2.gif ArmA2's land mass isn't desert, but forested region where dud rate is prone to rise pretty high... Naturally i don't expect BIS to model this thing, which limits uses of MRLS quite much, as any cluster munitions be it field artillery or airstrikes.

I just have hard to time to think of uses for MRLS in ArmA2 scale. Only uses i can find for it are guided munition ment to take out high priority targets for SF missions. Or warfare/Evolution kind MP-missions.

Apart from the fact that MLRS is a tracked system, and HIMARS is wheeled...

although I wonder if there was just a typo on the ranges or if the BM-21 will cover only 30 maybe 60km vs the MLRS 300.

The 300km range is that of the MGM-140 ATACMS Block II ballistic missile. MLRS can only carry 2 of these, instead of the normal 12 M26 or M30 rockets. They're HUGE.

M26 rockets have a range of about 45km, where the guided M30 rockets (for GMLRS) have a range of about 70km.

AFAIK BM-21 only has a range of about 15-40km depending on the rockets used. The 30km stated by BIS sounds about right for Arma2 if you consider making balance balance from BM-21 having many more, smaller rockets than the M270.

Apart from the fact that MLRS is a tracked system, and HIMARS is wheeled...

But if MLRS is not used by Marines, why to model it then in the first place for a US Marine campaign and not model a proper wheeled variant?

I absolutely agree that its not a very big deal gameplay wise and modders will surely correct it (some years after release), but still it gives me personally that dull aftertaste.

Maybe i have simply to high personal expectations regarding to accuracy (damn us german closeminded perfectionists pistols.gif )

But if MLRS is not used by Marines, why to model it then in the first place for a US Marine campaign and not model a proper wheeled variant?

You could ask the same thing about the M24... I dont think any game is going to be 100% realistic. As you say - modders will provide.

Fixed wing are up!

arma2_vehicles_fixed_wing_C130J.jpg

Ahaha! Another thinly veiled dig:

Quote[/b] ]No military simulator is complete without a hangar full of planes for the gamer to fly around in!

smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]No military simulator is complete without a hangar full of planes for the gamer to fly around in!

Have you ever tried to fly around in a hangar full of planes? wink_o.gif

And in our game you can try it!

Hehe not that much time to finish the game but one thing i very like in games: fighting together with friends in the same vehilce... We need a AC-130 Spectre Gunship smile_o.gif This would be yay.gif ^But if its not i think the community will modify the bird - not only the texture... like 4234 different camos, weapon textures and so on biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]But if its not i think the community will modify the bird - not only the texture... like 4234 different camos, weapon textures and so on biggrin_o.gif

Yeahh, that would be awesome....

But i hope the "multiple turret on airvehicle issue" is fixed in the Engine...

Regarding to Interview with Ivan Buchta, it was not fixed at that point IIRC.

Anyone else getting the feeling that ArmA II is close to release? What, with all the media bombing. In just a few days they've released tons of info on the vehicles.

Anyone else getting the feeling that ArmA II is close to release? What, with all the media bombing. In just a few days they've released tons of info on the vehicles.

What i know from reading everywhere is:

Current Status is early beta, they just put together all features/parts of the game from Alpha versions.

Jan Hovora (Ohara) said in Deadfasts translated Interview that the beta Phase takes ~20% of total development time wow_o.gif

Around 20th of April there will be a new trailer + very much new media stuff, which was from a very late Alpha version (was a meeting ~1.5 weeks ago in germany with press and german fanbase. There was a lot of questions asked and all of them were honestly answered by Jan Prazak).

German release date is according to various dealers "29th May 2009".

In Slovak its AFAIK "26th June 2009" and in czech also somewhere in June 2009.

Of course this is just speculation i think. No-one can tell the exact release date. tounge2.gifbiggrin_o.gif

There was a lot of questions asked and all of them were honestly answered by Jan Prazak

Honesty isn't a common things with devs/publishers these days, unfortunately. That's part of why I admire BIS.

Thanks for the info.