Sign in to follow this  
EricM

Latest ArmA2 & ArmA2:OA Press Coverage | NO discussion here!

Quote[/b] ]personally im more excited for the cows. I think BIS should rename the game FARMA: Farmed Assault. Farming simulators clearly are the future of the PC platform  rofl.gif

damnit! i knew i should have copyrighted FARMA when i had the chance!

You should at least have kept the rights to create sequels of it!!!  wink_o.gif

PS: I had a good laugh the first time you mentioned FARMA

Still laughing as well, especially as to how it now hijacked two threads.

If someone can get horse riding to work then we'ed have a mod down pat.

I mean working with pigs, especialy boars can be dangerous, horses are fast, donkeys for frustration, chickens for the smell, ...oh we don't have smellevision yet....and cows because thats why cowboys shoot each other. The only thing missing are the crops but then again who realy likes to watch grass grow.

Then we throw in the sort of weather system that gives farmers the shits with droughts and floods and players will have cause to invade nieghbours, shed blood and create chaos.

Lastly for spice we include a few upgrades, Cows of course can stampede, but did you know they can also release a noxious gas cloud when attacked, chickens have a noise attack that works a bit like standing next to a firing M1A1 in A.C.E.. While boars stick you with tusks, throwing you some 15ft in air, and will proceed to eat anything that looks vaguely unconcious.

Looks like CM wants a part of this market too.

Apparently this is their special edition :

[ig]http://i43.tinypic.com/20gnz88.jpg[/img]

Why can't they just leave BIS alone ?!?

Ohh ... rofl.gif

That was the best joke I read in this thread biggrin_o.gif:D

Just one question bi: can we have a "

" campaign? It is such a good story rofl.gif

Hi all

What about kangaroos with stingers?

Who can forget BIA's most infamous hour.

Quote[/b] ] CARELESS CODE RECYCLING CAUSES KILLER KANGAS

Mutant Marsupials Take Up Arms Against Australian Air Force

The reuse of some object-oriented code has caused tactical headaches for Australia's armed forces. As virtual reality simulators assume larger roles in helicopter combat training, programmers have gone to great lengths to increase the realism of their scenarios, including detailed landscapes and - in the case of the Northern Territory's Operation Phoenix- herds of kangaroos (since disturbed animals might well give away a helicopter's

position).

The head of the Defense Science & Technology Organization's Land Operations/Simulation division reportedly instructed developers to model the local marsupials' movements and reactions to helicopters. Being efficient programmers, they just re-appropriated some code originally used to model infantry detachment reactions under the same stimuli, changed the mapped icon from a soldier to a kangaroo, and increased the figures' speed

of movement.

Eager to demonstrate their flying skills for some visiting American pilots, the hotshot Aussies "buzzed" the virtual kangaroos in low flight during a simulation. The kangaroos scattered, as predicted, and the visiting Americans nodded appreciatively... then did a double-take as the kangaroos reappeared from behind a hill and launched a barrage of Stinger missiles at the hapless helicopter. (Apparently the programmers had forgotten to remove that part of the infantry coding.)

The lesson learned?

Objects are defined with certain attributes, and any new object defined in terms of an old one inherits all the attributes. The embarrassed programmers had learned to be careful when reusing object-oriented code, and the Yanks left with a newfound respect for Australian wildlife.

Simulator supervisors report that pilots from that point onward have strictly avoided kangaroos, just as they were meant to.

* From June 15, 1999 Defense Science and Technology Organization Lecture

Series, Melbourne, Australia, and staff reports

The story has now entered object oriented coding lore even making it into text books

http://books.google.co.uk/books?i....esnum=7

The reality has been stretched over the years. wink_o.gif

Kind Regards walker

The best thing about Farma II is it acually sounded like a fun game to play rofl.gif I definatly wanna see a mod of this in ArmA II.

Hi all

What about kangaroos with stingers?

Who can forget BIA's most infamous hour.

Quote[/b] ] CARELESS CODE RECYCLING CAUSES KILLER KANGAS

Mutant Marsupials Take Up Arms Against Australian Air Force

The reuse of some object-oriented code has caused tactical headaches for Australia's armed forces. As virtual reality simulators assume larger roles in helicopter combat training, programmers have gone to great lengths to increase the realism of their scenarios, including detailed landscapes and - in the case of the Northern Territory's Operation Phoenix- herds of kangaroos (since disturbed animals might well give away a helicopter's

position).

The head of the Defense Science & Technology Organization's Land Operations/Simulation division reportedly instructed developers to model the local marsupials' movements and reactions to helicopters. Being efficient programmers, they just re-appropriated some code originally used to model infantry detachment reactions under the same stimuli, changed the mapped icon from a soldier to a kangaroo, and increased the figures' speed

of movement.

Eager to demonstrate their flying skills for some visiting American pilots, the hotshot Aussies "buzzed" the virtual kangaroos in low flight during a simulation. The kangaroos scattered, as predicted, and the visiting Americans nodded appreciatively... then did a double-take as the kangaroos reappeared from behind a hill and launched a barrage of Stinger missiles at the hapless helicopter. (Apparently the programmers had forgotten to remove that part of the infantry coding.)

The lesson learned?

Objects are defined with certain attributes, and any new object defined in terms of an old one inherits all the attributes. The embarrassed programmers had learned to be careful when reusing object-oriented code, and the Yanks left with a newfound respect for Australian wildlife.

Simulator supervisors report that pilots from that point onward have strictly avoided kangaroos, just as they were meant to.

*  From June 15, 1999 Defense Science and Technology Organization Lecture

The story has now entered object oriented coding lore even making it into text books

http://books.google.co.uk/books?i....esnum=7

The reality has been stretched over the years. wink_o.gif

Kind Regards walker

i remember reading that in the newspapers years ago here in Australia. Had No idea it was BIA.

i remember reading that in the newspapers years ago here in Australia. Had No idea it was BIA.

Hi Batdog

The story has been round the world many times.

It may have been ModSAF that was the simulation  wink_o.gif

I believe at one stage BIA used to have a Kangaroo with a stinger as a cartoon.

Kind Regards walker

Wait a minute. I cant of been from BIA. Look the at the date at the bottom of the thing

Quote[/b] ]From June 15, 1999 Defense Science and Technology Organization Lecture

Before BIA and Operation Flashpoint tounge2.gif

As an easter egg in Operation Flashpoint: Elite(I don't know if it's in the other Operation Flashpoints or ArmA. Most likely not.), when you make and design your own level you will have the ability to add East Side bots. Do so, and when it says to place the object put it in the middle of a tree. When you go to this tree while previewing it, notice that the man is in the shape of a Kangaroo and has a baby Kangaroo for a gun or grenade... or so I've heard.  smile_o.gif I could never get the soldier in the middle of the tree. I kept overshooting it by a little bit every time. I'm going to try it again, though.

Looks like the (TBD) next to the Next-Gen-Konsolen on the official page disappeared.

Was there not so long ago, i don't care about it, but maybe someone does  wink_o.gif

Edit: Yeah, the differences between languages... Lost in translation

Are the weekly updates complete?

Nope, we haven't done a heap of stuff yet, I'm guessing vehicles are next but who knows.

Kinda surprised we haven't been flooded with vehicle info in the same way as the weapon info we recieved last week already

I think that weapon info was because the forums were down. I'm pretty confident in saying that they will start releasing vehicle info when the boards go down again. Hopefully the migration works this time. thumbs-up.gif

Weakly update until the realese?

WE WANT UPDATE!

Weakly update is for DR

Weekly update is for Arma2

lol tounge2.gif

Maybe Bis have other things to work on than weekly update?

I mean they could have relased on weapon section last week but imo they released enough for 5 weeks biggrin_o.gif

Weakly update is for DR

Ouch tounge2.gif

Maybe they are working on releasing a whole section at once . I wouldnt mind that ... but come on BIS some screens , something

Ahhh. Clamoring for the next hit of digital crack.. I want my piece too!! tounge2.gif

The way they posted the entire weapons section over time was nice, kept the interest up too.

No BIS make them wait.

A hungry digital junky is more compliant. biggrin_o.gif

Leave them wanting more.

No BIS make them wait.

A hungry digital junky is more compliant.  biggrin_o.gif

Leave them wanting more.

And I bet you would be one of the first to look if it was there lol biggrin_o.gif